Long map load times after patch

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: ggliff.8903

ggliff.8903

Map load times very long now especially in cities and even after visiting maps after patch (so not an issue of downloading new map info). SSD so not my end. Also noticeably longer load times for toons on character select screen.

Guildies also report lag spikes and high ping but not sure if connected to load times

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I have noticed the same. Load times are about a double of what they were before patch.

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

yeah i agree, they seem to take twice as long to load now

Posted by: Archomeda.6472

Archomeda.6472

Got the same issue. Posted the same on reddit too.

Copy-paste:

Streaming is definitely causing longer loading screens. Weird, since I have been playing for some hours now. They probably have changed something when it went out of beta, since I had it always enabled and had no issues before this patch.

That said, I do have longer loading screens now. For some reason in HotM the AgentCharactersToLoad is very slow, it drops with 1 every 0.5-1 seconds, while it has to load 20+! Every time I came out of a match I had a loading screen for 40+ seconds instead of the normal 10-15. Screenshot.

Other maps that are very populated also have a terribly long loading screen now. There’s a reason I’ve installed GW2 on my SSD

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Up. Getting it too. come on anet kitten stream!

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Ather.5091

Ather.5091

Yeah the new load times are ridiculous, it literally just took me 1 min to load into LA. My usual time is about 10 seconds. Is there a way to turn off streaming to return load times to pre-patch?

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

Yeah it certainly feels much slower. Here’s example of going to SW and to Lion’s Arch and then to PVP/back:

SilverWastes:

Lion’s Arch:

p.s. and then I switch tune and loading into pvp takes a minute
Something is seriously broken with this streaming stuff

(edited by Bugabuga.9721)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

• The Streaming Client feature is always on and no longer requires use of the -StreamingClient flag.

Forced streaming? Really? I mean… really?!? Didn’t NPE crap teach you anything? Forcing things and/or taking choices away from users is the worse and stupid path to follow.

Ok back to facts: it seems this streaming thing is causing some issues. I haven’t even tested map loading times yet but I already experienced some issues right at Character Selection screen. At first I got surprised that my FPS at that screen incredibly rose (usually I would get 30 or 40ish but got above 50 after patch) but then got annoyed by the stupid loading times. After launcher my screen stayed white for about 1 min (usually it was 15 secs and I play in Windowed mode), then Character Screen showed up but background stayed black with no character models for more than 30 secs. Worse of all is whenever I clicked or chose any option (opening Options, changing characters, etc…) my screen would freeze for 2 to 4 secs! Just to note, it was still downloading patch at that moment.

Thing is: give choices back to users! Stop forcing users to use it as you think they should use. Make the streaming thing optional unless it gets 99.9999% flawless and even so I would still prefer it to stay optional. Not everyone has a great connection and some could prefer downloading everything at once and not bother with it while playing than downloading in parts while playing. Better waiting and playing a stable game than being able to start it quickly but having to stumble across freezes or long loading times.

Edit: Ok scratch that, it seems the issue only occurs when it is still downloading the patch. Later yesterday I tried to play and it already was with patch fully downloaded, I had no issues and everything seemed to be normal. Anyhow, I still stand by what I said, always give users choices (like this thread couldn’t even exist if users had the option to turn off streaming).

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

On my laptop, load times were the shortest they’ve even been (without having changed options). On my desktop, there were longer, maybe 20-40%. Didn’t change anything else about the settings or how I connect.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Loading times are much longer for me too after the patch. I waited until the whole patch was downloaded before I started the game. With a 40 Mbit/s connection 72 MB is downloaded in 15 seconds so no reason to not wait. It would be silly if the streaming client makes loading times much longer when there isn’t anything to download/stream. I really hope this is a temporary issue.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Kelnter.7530

Kelnter.7530

Yes. The most I had was 15-20 sec, usually 5-10 sec, since I upgraded to an SSD and now most of the time is 30-50 sec.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Yeah it really does not seem like a good change if saving couple of minutes when patching the game comes at a cost of having double loading times all the time.

Posted by: Thor.4537

Thor.4537

It feels like I don’t have an SSD, doubled load times.. Something is definitely broken Anet pls

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Loading times are much longer for me too after the patch. I waited until the whole patch was downloaded before I started the game. With a 40 Mbit/s connection 72 MB is downloaded in 15 seconds so no reason to not wait. It would be silly if the streaming client makes loading times much longer when there isn’t anything to download/stream. I really hope this is a temporary issue.

This morning (it is 9:45 here atm) loading times were much better. Maybe the second patch last night solved something (for me at least).

I read a theory that with the new streaming client a map that you load for the first time (since the patch) will take longer to load but that from the second time it will be fast again. Although I understand the reasoning behind that theory it isn’t what I experienced. I am pretty sure I did not visit Kessex Hills last night but loading that map today was as fast as it used to be before the patch.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Thor.4537

Thor.4537

I read a theory that with the new streaming client a map that you load for the first time (since the patch) will take longer to load but that from the second time it will be fast again. Although I understand the reasoning behind that theory it isn’t what I experienced. I am pretty sure I did not visit Kessex Hills last night but loading that map today was as fast as it used to be before the patch.

This was not the case on my end last night, I was converting some karma to linen last night which requires a lot of mapping and I was getting constant 25-30s waits to map LA post-patch, compared to 10s waits pre-patch

Posted by: cheshader.5081

cheshader.5081

Just did some testing in SW. Loading time near the Priory Historian ~30 secs.
Loading times on the same map (same ip) at Camp Resolve wp and Hidden Depths wp ~15 secs. Tested with 2 chars.

Same story in LA. Loading time when going through HotM/WvW ~35 secs, at waypoints usual ~15 secs.

The last few percents of the map take more than 10 secs to load, you can see it if you use -maploadinfo.
When MapLoadCompletion reaches 97%, “streaming est” in brackets next to it starts to go from 0% to 100% and the map won’t load until it reaches 100%.

When taxiing to another instance while standing on the “slow” spot it takes no more than few seconds.

Repairing the game does not help.

(edited by cheshader.5081)

Posted by: muckshifter.9731

muckshifter.9731

Long load times … patch or no patch …

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What i have noticed is also that it now tooks very long until the character select screen
has loaded when you logout. First its a black background and also the faces of my
char load very slow when i scroll through them (i have 18 chars). So i have always
to wait quite some seconds until i can select the correct character.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Experiencing this too. Loading LA gone from 10 to 25-30 sec

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Same issue, and I’d also like to point out that trying to use makeover kits causes the same problem with Beldin has with character selection: options take forever to load and scroll through, making it slow and annoying to try to look through choices. Please fix ASAP.

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

Yup long load times, compared to pre-patch.

Running a fast SSD and overclocked I7, maps always loaded in 4-5 seconds.

Now map loading can take 20+ seconds. Really annoying when map jumping in WvW.

IGN: Dal Brinium

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Since the latest update I have found that map load times are noticeably longer and sometimes frustratingly long (Lion’s Arch, I’m looking especially at you).

There have been no other changes to my system, setup or connection speed (across any devices or programmes), and so I can only conclude that they changed something in the patch that has caused this issue.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Cheers
~TG

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Yes, I also noticed this. I particularly noticed it with Divinity’s Reach. Seems something changed to slow loading down. Nothing on my system has changed either.

Posted by: GreyerSkies.6287

GreyerSkies.6287

I noticed this as well, particularly in Lion’s Arch. I run the game on an SSD, so the difference seemed to be fairly significant even if it’s only a matter of a few extra seconds.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yep. I’ve found the game loads the UI in bits too. The last patch changed something. And in my opinion, not for the better.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

Yep. After the streaming update I consistently have longer loading times when changing maps, even when going back to a map that I recently visited (I thought there were som caching involved?).

Even though it’s only a few seconds it’s still very annoying. Especially when trying to catch an event.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

everything loads slow now.
character selection screen
map loading is more then doubled.
UI of all elements in the mainscreen is slow and dialog boxes.
characters load very slow.
mobs load slower.
and sounds that come 2 to 4 seconds later or not at all or loads get muted.
skills are slow responding (lagging up to 3 seconds)

I had to stop play and logged out.
hope a fix will come soon.

Posted by: pyxell.4907

pyxell.4907

This is good news and bad news. First of all, I’m glad I’m not the only one..that’s the good news. The bad news is….This is so slow now, and I’m running i7 quad core computer. WTH? What’s wrong with this patch? Please fix it quickly, Anet….its heartbreaking!

Vile Nightshade 80 Necromancer
Scarlet Fairwood 80 Ranger
I intend to live forever! So far, so good!

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Wow… ok, so at least it’s not just me then. Thanks for the replies.

I mean, it’s not crippling or anything, it’s just annoying when I’m so used to things being faster. I have had a couple of very long loads, though. Oh well, perhaps they’ll optimise things a bit better over the next fews days.

~TG

Posted by: friggarn.5360

friggarn.5360

Are you guys still seeing this? Looks like LA is loading in 3 seconds again

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

same here. thought it was just a random thing…
pls fix, anet.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: ggliff.8903

ggliff.8903

Still seeing it here. Second patch changed nothing, long load times on some maps and very long load for toons on character select screen.

Posted by: Doombringer BG.3740

Doombringer BG.3740

I thought it was just me, considering that I’m playing on a laptop.
Before it was loading normally, as I would call it. Sure sometimes a little slower, but never every time.

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Ive noticed loading times increase little by little from beta with each patch.
Now its to the point of being ridiculous.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Same here, loading got incredibly slow.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I notice a huge increase in loading times as well after the patch. I use SSD as well and my load times for every map has at least doubled if not tripled.

Posted by: TechnoBill.5198

TechnoBill.5198

I used -maploadinfo on my shortcut and monitored the loading screens.

1 min to get into DR. I went out into Queensdale and back in. 1 min + again.

The map shows that it is STREAMING client models on every map load.

Everytime.

I have a fully patched client. Why is it streaming character models on every load? Even if it needed them the first time – reloading the map they should be saved on disc.

This makes no sense.

Posted by: TechnoBill.5198

TechnoBill.5198

I posted this in the tech support thread on the topic.

“I used -maploadinfo on my shortcut and monitored the loading screens.
1 min to get into DR. I went out into Queensdale and back in. 1 min + again.
Everytime.
I have a fully patched client. Why is it streaming character models on every load? Even if it needed them the first time – reloading the map they should be saved on disc.
This makes no sense.”

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

I have the same issue. Maps are taking longer to load than usual.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

So THAT’S why the character models are all appearing standard for so long after a zone-in, the kitten streaming client is loading them all so slowly. Is there a way to disable this or something?

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Same here…./15 char

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Around 20s to load LA on a non-SSD … seems okay here.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

everything loads slow now.
character selection screen

Yeah .. the character screen really annoys me, since i have 18 characters and it
takes very long now until all the faces are shown

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Zamora.1843

Zamora.1843

I have a Solid State Drive and the load-screen times have become “unacceptable” with the last patch.

(edited by Zamora.1843)

Posted by: Fumooz.4759

Fumooz.4759

I’m using SSD too and the load times are at least 2 times longer since last patch.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Pretty sure the first time GW2 loads (when first started) your SSD is not going to make much of a difference. Now loading zones after the first load (and certainly reloading into a zone you have been in during the same session) an SSD would give better load times.

If it does have something to do with the streaming change, I would think starting the game once with -repair option should make sure your GW2.DAT file is fully updated (not streaming when loading into a zone) and has no corruptions.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

To clear up some confusion: unless one is seeing things in the Jit Queue, it’s streaming (loading) from disk, not the server.

We’re investigating map loading times.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

An SSD disk makes a huge difference, from the first start as well as on subsequent map loads. I copied the game from the ssd to my hard disk and started from there – this adds approx. 30 seconds to each map loading time.

But even with an SSD, loading times got longer and longer over the lifetime of the game. As far as I remember, in 2012/2013, I loaded Lion’s Arch in 10-15 seconds. Nowadays, it is about 30 seconds. I always used -maploadinfo.

Fellow guild members with not so fast laptops and no SSD have loading times up to and sometimes over 1 minute. If someone with such a hardware has a disconnect in the fractals, we have to wait about 3-4 minutes until he is back in. With my desktop, I’m back in under 1 minute.

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Posted by: acumen.1980

acumen.1980

To clear up some confusion: unless one is seeing things in the Jit Queue, it’s streaming (loading) from disk, not the server.

We’re investigating map loading times.

Thank you for investigating it. I know nothing changed with my i7 4790k, my 16 gbs of ram, or my Samsung 250gb 850 evo ssd. The only thing that changed was the patch. Now I load heart of the mists in 52 seconds instead of 10, and lions arch in 33 seconds instead of 12.