Massive Targeting Issues

Massive Targeting Issues

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Jaexyn.5134

Jaexyn.5134

I’m having targeting issues that I’ve noticed with my Ranger. She will randomly stop firing, pick a different target and start firing at them, loses current target (have to re-select them), and doesn’t always auto-fire. Sometimes have to hit the 1 button multiple times. It’ll fire 1 arrow at a time until it sticks.

Ranger specific issue is Poison Volley randomly picks a target and I’m lucky if it’s the one I’m currently shooting. Otherwise, it selects a new main target and fires at them.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: ElixireL.5190

ElixireL.5190

Have you seen the targeting options in the game settings?

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Am also getting this, it just randomly will swap to some other mob mid combat, sometimes more than once, its nearly gotten me killed a few times now..noticed it a lot on my Thief.

I’m also noticing my weapons swap on there own as well sometimes, not sure if its connected, it also only just started just after wintersday event..

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: ElixireL.5190

ElixireL.5190

I have actually noticed all these issues occasionally and assumed it was just me fumbling with the keys… setting the targetting options to my liking helped a bit. But I have no key mapped to weapon swap and I do get it at times with both my characters.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

It may be because you are moving the camera by holding right mouse, which bafflingly is also used to select a mob so if your pointer is over a mob when you move the camera you are likely to select them.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

Same issue as everyone else. Please change the way RMB works… Please!

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Same issue as everyone else. Please change the way RMB works… Please!

Adding my voice to this crowd. I hate it when my Guardian is swarmed by five mobs, and instead targets that mob way down the hill who is nowhere near him and not aggroed…with his sword.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It may be because you are moving the camera by holding right mouse, which bafflingly is also used to select a mob so if your pointer is over a mob when you move the camera you are likely to select them.

That may be why it’s happening! I do use the RMB to move the camera around, and I experience all those issues the others have mentioned. I’ll have to pay more attention to whether or not I get these issues when I’m panning the camera around during battle. If true, hopefully we can petition ANet to include an option to remove RMB targeting.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

Found a lot of targetting issues since former patch (few days ago) to a point it gets ridiculously annoying or even dangerous to play with any ranged weapon, as it will catch you in the aggro of the whole map mobs.
Fix this!

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Mistsong.4513

Mistsong.4513

I have been having these same problems. When I hit Target-nearest-foe my guardian will target a foe 30 feet away that isn’t even aggroed, instead of any of the 4 mobs that are right next to me that are attacking me. Also my ranger will randomly change targets and randomly stop auto-attacking for no apparent reason. Also, when I am working on one foe, if a new one comes up, the game will switch my target to the new foe automatically, and I will have to manually re-target my first target to finish killing it. These things happen to me A LOT.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

The issue with auto-attack stopping after one shot may be due to your inadvertently targeting something out of range (probably by RMB camera movement or the sometimes mind-of-its-own “C” select nearest target function). This will make you shoot once since you hit the attack key, but afterward will stop as always occurs when something is/moves out of range.

Then again, it could be a bona fide auto-attack bug. However, I see this stuff a lot as well and I know, in my case, it’s from the stupid RMB quick-activate function problem.

Not sure, of course, what ANet will do about the RMB thing, but making it an option so those who hate it don’t have to be plagued by its unwanted side effects is smart, and perfectly reasonable. Unless there’s some weird code issue in the way, there’s no reason not to make it optional for those who like it. It is, after all, redundant since it does absolutely nothing you can’t do with LMB and/or keyboard.

So: continue to force feed something obnoxious to many on everyone or make it optional so everyone has the freedom to choose. A proper jury would be out for a nanosecond on this one.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Just happened to me again earlier two mobs inquest and his golem, i physically targeted the inquest, got him to around 50% hp then magically my target swapped to the fully healed golem, why?

Never pressed anything, other than me attack skills, its beyond frustrating.

I was on my thief using dual pistols if that helps.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Happened to my husband too on his ranger and he does melee only with the mouse so there’s definitely something happening here.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

Happens to me too on my necro. I especially hate it when I load up a mob with conditions, hit Epidemic only to find that Epidemic occurred on a different target!

In Options, I have checked:
- Autotarget
- Promote Skill Target
Unchecked:
- Fast-cast

The first says “If you use a skill with nothing targeted…”, so it should not be switching targets on me once I do have a target.

The second says “Automatically promote targets to lock targets when hitting them”, so this should ensure that I do not get any target switching once I have targeted a mob.

Since Fast-cast is unchecked, this target switching cannot be due to any inadvertent mouse placement.

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

The targetting issue is terrible, nothing better than targetting a non-threatening target you can’t even see, when you have 5 threatening targets right in front of you trying to rip your eyes out.

Way to go AN.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I agree with those who said there needs to be a way to turn off the camera auto targetting. I don’t need to see the mob smacking me from the side to know I want to target him next.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Ash.3641

Ash.3641

I think it has to do with characters stealthing and using channeled skills (rapid fire)

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: alekelpragh.8243

alekelpragh.8243

I had the same problems with stupid “selecting something else” behavior.
It all has to do with this RightMouseButton targeting problem.
The clue is, that you can not selecting targets, only… u can deselect them to!
I realized it, when i switch off all the targeting stuff in the options.

If i was turning the cam with RMB just a bit, so that the push on the button itself lasted only less than a second, than i was selecting a new target (new enemy or friendly target) or deselect my current on. If i was hitting a skill at this time, the skill was going on the new enemy target if possible. If there wasnt one (either i had marked a friendly target or i had no target at all), the engine looked out a target for me (cause of the checkbox in the options).

if you do it that fast… it looks like “randomly selection of targets”!

So… ArenaNet PLS PLS PLS give us the option to disable right mouse button target selection

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’m having targeting issues that I’ve noticed with my Ranger. She will randomly stop firing, pick a different target and start firing at them, loses current target (have to re-select them), and doesn’t always auto-fire. Sometimes have to hit the 1 button multiple times. It’ll fire 1 arrow at a time until it sticks.

Ranger specific issue is Poison Volley randomly picks a target and I’m lucky if it’s the one I’m currently shooting. Otherwise, it selects a new main target and fires at them.

Try to play with autotarget enabled,and Ctrl + Right click on your skill 1 so it repeats,also take a look at the other targetting settings to might help you.But you’re right though,i also most of the time,select wrong targets ( turrets,pets,illusions,etc,unintended.)

Also try not to click your mouse 2 in battle but rather hold it like..untill eternity,because it also selects targets.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Cushion.8741

Cushion.8741

This is happening to me too. When I am in dungeons, it seems to act the worst. Please fix the targeting!

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Orion.3812

Orion.3812

I thought this issue had been fixed in patch notes, and didn’t notice it happening much for a while—but now it is happening again and I have confirmed it’s easily reproducible. All you have to do is hold the right mouse button to move the camera, and if the mouse pointer’s location is over a mob when the button is released than your character will target and auto-attack that mob.

In addition, this bug will cause you to target friendlies or neutral objects as well. If you have the option to stop auto-attack on target change selected, that means that as you play the game and move your camera, not only will you change targets but you will also lose uptime on the target you were currently auto-attacking.

When the player moves the camera, the player should not have to worry about doing anything other than moving the camera when they click and drag.

Co-leader of [FOX] Zero Given. http://fox.servegame.com

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

I posted my thoughts on targeting issues before in other threads but I’ve noticed something different with my ranger after leveling this alt up to 50. When using longbow, I’ll be attacking a target which my pet is also attacking. I then change targets prior to my first target being killed. I continue to fire at my original target even though a new target is selected. I only start firing at the new target if I re-click the auto attack button 1. Other attack skills seem to target the original target. I haven’t noticed this with any other characters using ranged weapons before.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

I also have had this issue and it is only with my ranger. You are in range, do not select another target. The auto attack just stops.. almost like it loses the target for a moment. If you hit 1 again it will start auto attacking the original target again but this happens to me more frequently in dungeons. I am guessing it is due to some sort of loss of LoS

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

It appears the big issue with right click (or mouse down) target select/activate/auto-attack has been swept under the rug and ignored in this latest update. Again.

As most of you who’ve posted in this thread will know, this issue is a fundamental character control issue and has been reported in various threads pretty much since the game launched. To say I’m disappointed that it has still not been addressed is an understatement of massive proportions…

Forever posting in legendary threads!

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: Peach Pinky.6501

Peach Pinky.6501

Sadly, it’s because right and left click have the same functions when it comes to selecting things. This means if you right click to move your camera, but have it hovering over an ally or monster, it will select what you are hovered over in the process of changing your camera angle.

Massive Targeting Issues

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

Another one bumped for great justice!

See the thread linked below:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/An-option-to-disable-right-click-targeting/first

Forever posting in legendary threads!