Patch made DR worse, Explanation?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Edenknight.9284

Edenknight.9284

Note: I’ve been doing this event for weeks now with not a single aspect of Diminishing Returns on Karma/Silver/EXP rewards.

Now with patch, I run to Orr and do Temple of Balthazar (first time I’ve been there all day) and get reduced Karma. Okay..hmm strange because I haven’t been here all day. Go to Wayfarer Foothills to do a chest event that spawns there and immediately get more DR?

Please, PLEASE tell me this is not intended and a bug that is going to be fixed very soon.

Oh, and the relogging thing in the screenshot does nothing.

Attachments:

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Seeing the same on the few events I’ve run. And the dungeon rewards are still screwed up.

Anet please just turn this PoS code off. It is hurting the game way more than it is helping.

Posted by: NeVeRLiFt.1680

NeVeRLiFt.1680

Seeing the same thing, I’ve stopped playing the game now and have took to posting on the forums to let them know how I feel.

This is a horrible way to punish your players Anet and goes against the very design and mechanics of the game you made.

You’re failing your players Anet.

Edenknight.9284

I’ve been testing, or trying to at least and what it might be now is that Karma DR is shared across any map?

Like for example, once you complete 5 or 10 karma events you get 0 DR for those, but after those are completed, for each additional event you do – you get less and less karma/copper/exp until you are at where I was (lowest karma – 12?)

The only way to get off of the DR, is to not do any more events and let the DR slowly wear off of your character. Because even chain events in different maps were giving me reduced karma near the end. I’m still looking into what is going on here, I’d really like a word from a GM though that’d be good to know if it was intended or not.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

this is strange, i did an event chain back to back to back and i got normal karma levels

NeVeRLiFt.1680

It’s time related, how fast you do the events or move from event to event.
If you push and go to fast the DR system hits fast and hard and just punishes you for playing the game.

Edenknight.9284

Yeah, first time today I was even on the map where Dwayna spawns and look at attached screenshot…. :\

Attachments:

Posted by: TheBob.9863

TheBob.9863

A free open-world MMO where you can do whatever you want as long as you don’t exceed ArenaNet’s arbitrary limits of how much gold/karma you can gain per hour, how very very sad

Posted by: terrordrone.1875

terrordrone.1875

well hit them where it hurts and stop buying any gems with cash till they get their heads out of their “kittens”.

Posted by: Melana.8345

Melana.8345

The problem with this is that events – particularly end-game events – are generally chains. This is by design, yet actually following the chains through to the next events ends up penalising the players due to “too many events in a short period of time”.

Likewise, the end-game zone is dominated by a single enemy type. Risen, whether fish, pirate, krait, drake, etc are all still Risen (as shown by the Daily “monster types killed” achievement) – so DR penalties based on “the same type of enemy killed repeatedly” are being accumulated simply by playing normally in the only level 80-specific zone available.

I’m at the point from the last week where I simply get few to no drops in Orr other than a porous bone or two. I can leave the zone and get stuff elsewhere, but coming back to Orr results in almost nothing again. It’s noticeable when you go from 20-30 item drops in an hour down to 2-3 item drops in an hour – especially when it so far has been completely reproduceable (and doesn’t seem to reset regardless of how much time you spend in other zones). I think that’s why my first ever explorable dungeon run ended up being penalized last week, and I’ve never done a second explorable mode dungeon run as a result.

I’m still working towards 100% map – but at this stage, when that’s done I’ll stick to Frostgorge Sound. At least there the types of mob vary so normal play doesn’t result in being punished just for being in the zone.

Note: I’m in Australia, so I have been at work since the patch today. I haven’t been able to test changes, but the whole design of DR for “too many events” and “same monster type repeatedly” is in direct opposition to the design of the game’s max-level zones.

Despaired Ranger: Crafted The Dreamer, lost range, lost GS condi damage for synergy.
Pet AI awful. Sword root+Aussie latency unmanagable. Lost playstyle, lost legendary, given up.
Mell: 80 Asura Guardian (+7 other 80s) | Aus Serenity [AUS] | Jade Quarry

(edited by Melana.8345)

Posted by: Essa.5826

Essa.5826

Would be nice if Anet took time to respond to all the DR threads on how they want us to play their game.

I love the game, i dont love the DR system. Right now i feel limited.

FSP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

I understand you need to keep people from being bored and leaving what with the lack of content, since less active players = less gem purchases but you are going about it the wrong way.

People aren’t dumb enough to buy karma boosters and the like with the way you’re punished for playing the game.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Izanagi.5812

Izanagi.5812

DR system is ridiculous. You are actually punishing people for playing the game, and for doing something they enjoy. These changes leave a bitter taste and they are an awful addition to what is supposed to be an ‘open world’ game.

Please, get rid of the system! Otherwise, eventually the system will get rid of the players.

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

Would be nice if Anet took time to respond to all the DR threads on how they want us to play their game.

ahahahha, good one. they don’t even dare to put it in the patch notes (which, after years of development and gw1 anet allegedly still has trouble putting together), you think they say anything about it only to incur more wrath? silence is golden.

DR system is ridiculous.

especially when you check their endgame post. “events are endgame” – just don’t do too much of it!

Posted by: Alexnssilent.3690

Alexnssilent.3690

ha! the zerg is getting effed in the A =D

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Working as intended:
enjoy the new grind.
punishing us the legit players is not the way to do this.

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

Dungeons are just as bad. I still have the DR bug. First time running a dungeon and get 30 tokens. This game has turned into a Korean grind game. I must have missed that part in the manifesto. Instead of this DR garbage because you made a client side game that is easy to bot, fix the issue don’t drive the real players away.

Ironically, none of the grind needs to happen because none of it is a true upgrade…So I could log in and hang out in LA while in the WvW Q then log out when done. Good plan.

(edited by Natural.7013)

Posted by: Figment.9356

Figment.9356

This game was awesome when it first came out, I could farm the same mobs and be a big part of that item’s market on the trade post, like my own business. I could soothe my ocd, add, and kill kittens ad-nauseum making gold and having fun doing it. Not anymore; sucks man. Is this really to thwart botters or are they trying to tell us how they want us to play? I don’t get it.

(edited by Figment.9356)

Posted by: bobzebrick.5309

bobzebrick.5309

Last few patches sucked my enthusiasm for this game glad I’m not here to see this one. I’ll come back in a few months maybe when ANet have woken up to how harmful they are being to the community.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Horrible. Looks like Anet doesnt want people to enjoy their game. Glad I bought zero gems so far.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Edit: I was about to write how I shouldn’t bash your programming skills and instead focus on the real problem, which is DR on Events and Mob types in general, but hey here I am to edit my post instead of double posting and the post buttons are gone AGAIN. So I’ll uphold the “bad programmers” part.

Anyway, it’s not even that DR is bugged: it shouldn’t even exist on events and mob types.
As I said in my previous post, events ARE your end game. Once a player completed the world (and is not coordinated, experienced enough or simply doesn;t like dungeons), roaming map and doing events is the ONLY thing left.
Who in their right mind puts a DR on them?
This is NOT a way to solve your botting problem. DR anywhere outside of dungeons is a TERRIBLE idea simpyl because doing events is how youp lay your game.
And even outside of orr, if you decide to join an event chain, then :
a) you get into DR because “you do events to fast” (as fast as you designed the chain to run….)
b) you might run into DR because most events require you to kill the same enemy type, sometimes across the whole chain

Don’t try to fix it. This solution is flawed in it’s root because of how you designed your game. Why is it that your players have to explain this to you?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: MF Panda.5874

MF Panda.5874

DR seems to affect WvW as well – I barely got any loot bags from it after the patch (normally my inventory fills up pretty quickly, but I only got like 4-5 items total after playing for 2.5 hours). A thief from my guild also noticed way less rewards, and he normally gets a TON.

Posted by: Morgoth.4573

Morgoth.4573

DR seems to affect WvW as well – I barely got any loot bags from it after the patch (normally my inventory fills up pretty quickly, but I only got like 4-5 items total after playing for 2.5 hours). A thief from my guild also noticed way less rewards, and he normally gets a TON.

Oh god, don’t tell me they’ve added their DR code to WvW as well…..

Words cannot describe how stupid this is getting.

Posted by: Kirito.3591

Kirito.3591

someone mentioned to me that part of the DR is based on the # of hours you’re playing per 24 hour period. I think it was like 2-5 or something.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

I actually did not pay attention to this because I figured why would they do something like this? Diminished returns on events is just silly (but so is DR on dungeons). This behavior is not Arenanet – I don’t remember anything like this in GW1. I believe NCSoft is pulling a lot more strings in GW2 than they did in GW1 and I am not a fan of this. GW1 was not like this. DRs on dungeons and events, the small amount of coin you get from even lvl 80 events, the amount of times you get nothing for loot, yeah (his one was only slightly present in GW1 in the form of getting more gold piles and less items with heros – hey, you at least got gold – you farm alone in GW2, you get nothing a lot)….yeah, this is NCSoft’s doing I bet.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: Barkebain.7194

Barkebain.7194

Anet’s DR works FOR the bots, AGAINST players – you are making it impossible for real players to get what they need unless they purchase it from botters. Figure it out Anet, the only way to fix this problem is to get rid of the bots – hire some GMs and do it, or witness the migration away from your game.

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

It’s funny (well, sad) that you put it this way because last night, post patch, after realising I was gettng hammered by DR for farming, I went to the crafting station, when I saw I didn’t have enough of what I needed, I turned to the AH.

Then suddenly it hit me, I’m probably paying a bot for my mats. Stopped right there, logged off and promised myself no more frustartion just to play a game I was enjoying thoroughly before all this DR.

Magiofdeath.2745

Yeah, I will probably not stick around long if everything is not fixed by Christmas. I’m just tired of the bugs, the lack of loot at times, the terrible event coin reward to travel cost ratio (do one event, get 2 silver, traveling generally costs 1.5 silver…yeahhhh), the DRs on dungeons/events, and others. They have a huge list of crap to get for legendarys. How do they expect us to get legendarys, let alone the dungeon unique armor sets if we are going to get DRs all over the dang place.

I was a huge fan of Guildwars1 – I didn’t get GWAMM and 50/50 just so I could get a title and other things, I actually thoroughly enjoyed GW1. Right now, I cannot say I enjoy GW2 as much as GW1 because of the above list I just mentioned. That, and this game is way more of a grind than GW1 ever was. They really need to tone down on the grind and just generally fix the game.

Posted by: Skychok.7854

Skychok.7854

Seeing how I can’t play the game how I want to play it, how does ArenaNet want me to play Guild Wars 2 while still getting rewards for my efforts?

Also, an explanation on how DR works would be great. I have no idea how to play Guild Wars 2.

Edenknight.9284

I also want to note that both of my screenshots are post-patch last night. I wasn’t doing anything exploitative or shady whatsoever. A few guildmates had called out that Dwayna has spawned and I did the chain event there in Orr. This was the first time I’ve been on the map, so the DR is definitely character bound, not map or event bound.

It would appear that you hit the cap after about ~30 minutes of doing karma events if they are chain events and it takes somewhere in the realm of 1 hour to reset. Essentially cutting all game play to only being 50% effective? I don’t really understand why I can’t roam around to different maps, doing different events and not get punished for it.

Arenanet, I -love- this game, it’s a blast to play with friends and guildmates and the game mechanics are really refreshing and new. I have one major griping and it’s with these systems in place – it ruins fun and generally makes me just want to log out for the day when you hit these caps. I think a lot of people feel the exact same way and I don’t want to make it a threatening post or rage post so I say that in the most constructive way possible. Please give us your stance on why these systems are in place, or what we can expect in the future from DR systems in general.

NeVeRLiFt.1680

The DR is based on how may events you do in a set time period.
So you’re punished for doing to many events in a set time period, or trying to do them fast or move between them fast.

The DR as it’s implemented does nothing to stop bots as they stand around in one place and just do their thing waiting so they’re not triggering the DR cause enough time is passing between the event they farm.

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

I also want to note that both of my screenshots are post-patch last night. I wasn’t doing anything exploitative or shady whatsoever. A few guildmates had called out that Dwayna has spawned and I did the chain event there in Orr. This was the first time I’ve been on the map, so the DR is definitely character bound, not map or event bound.

It would appear that you hit the cap after about ~30 minutes of doing karma events if they are chain events and it takes somewhere in the realm of 1 hour to reset. Essentially cutting all game play to only being 50% effective? I don’t really understand why I can’t roam around to different maps, doing different events and not get punished for it.

Arenanet, I -love- this game, it’s a blast to play with friends and guildmates and the game mechanics are really refreshing and new. I have one major griping and it’s with these systems in place – it ruins fun and generally makes me just want to log out for the day when you hit these caps. I think a lot of people feel the exact same way and I don’t want to make it a threatening post or rage post so I say that in the most constructive way possible. Please give us your stance on why these systems are in place, or what we can expect in the future from DR systems in general.

My sentiments precisely

Magiofdeath.2745

Dear Anet, please take control of your game back. I just feel there’s a lot of publisher influence going on here.

I mean crap, not meaning to compare, but its the only other large MMO I’ve played, but did Blizzard penalize you for doing daily quest after daily quest by reducing the amount of gold or reward you got? No. In fact, they increased the cap. If you did 25 events (the daily event cap when I quit WoW last years) in succession in GW2, your karma reward would not be what it should be and this is dumb. I’d hate to say it, but there’s a reason why WoW’s been around as long as it has. I feel that if GW2 does not change its ways, it will become a Korean botter’s game. I’m really not trying to bash the game, because I do enjoy it, but the DRs, bugs and grind really are starting to kill it for me.

(edited by Magiofdeath.2745)

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

Anet’s DR works FOR the bots, AGAINST players – you are making it impossible for real players to get what they need unless they purchase it from botters. Figure it out Anet, the only way to fix this problem is to get rid of the bots – hire some GMs and do it, or witness the migration away from your game.

Well said.

Posted by: Kalok.4273

Kalok.4273

The Biggest Issue I see with DR is ALL the mobs are named the same in 4 Zones, change zones doesnt help it still counts.

Here is a wild Idea, give diff names to diff zones for mobs. The the Dr would be more acuratelly represented when it happens on the same actual mobs, not the same named mob that level 80,78,76, 74 ect

Posted by: Earthacis.3862

Earthacis.3862

The best thing we can do to get this fixed is to get this post as high up as we can for as long as we can. I’m sure they notice this type of post but for some reason are ignoring players.

Magiofdeath.2745

They just need to get rid of DRs period. “Oh no, players are gaining 300 karma per event, that’s bad” is what their current thought process is. Its not like events ever gave an appropriate amount of karma or coin to begin with. I was expecting at least 10-15 silver per lvl 70+ event, but we get 1 silver…yeah gg.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Please also check my thread in the Dynamic Events Section as this is a critical issue that they haven’t responded to for weeks and weeks. This “fix” to the ability to log out and reset the issue seems to indicate that it wasn’t a glitch but rather is their new system.

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

They just need to get rid of DRs period. “Oh no, players are gaining 300 karma per event, that’s bad” is what their current thought process is. Its not like events ever gave an appropriate amount of karma or coin to begin with. I was expecting at least 10-15 silver per lvl 70+ event, but we get 1 silver…yeah gg.

10 silver is way to much. Everyone would be walking around with the “The Emperor” title in 2 weeks.

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Posted by: Dimitris.3195

Dimitris.3195

Don’t they actually see that with the DR system they don’t reward those which they so much wanted to reward as seen form the artcles, manifesto etc. , the players? Ok, the DR system was good at first in my opinion, when it was only in dungeons thus blocking players from gettin like 320 tokens a day doing like 6 runs. It got messed up with not working well in dungeons, giving less rewards but instead of fixing that problem they have implemented it in the maps, too. Come on anet

Magiofdeath.2745

10 silver is way to much. Everyone would be walking around with the “The Emperor” title in 2 weeks.

This is true if players went with tier 1 set only – which I’m sure there’s plenty that would do that just to get the achievement. There’s other players (such as myself) that prefer above Tier 1 of the cultural armor and well, Tier 2 is I think 10g total then there’s Tier 3 which is 120g total? Ok, maybe not 10 silver, but 1 silver when that gain is nullified by waypoint travel, yeah, pointless. 3 silver at least to be able to not lose coin from travelling or keep it the same, and don’t have WP travel scale with character level.

Posted by: Lillium.6481

Lillium.6481

I know this is going to sound extremely self-centered, but… Oh well. its how I feel. So here goes;

Please remove the DR. I don’t care about bots. I don’t care about people abusing some ridiculously farmable thing. I care that when I go to legitimately play the game, I get punished for setting aside a large chunk of time in my week to enjoy a game that I’ve looked forward to for years and (now that its here) love, because somewhere out there somebody else is being more self-centered than I am.
High levels are already punishing enough with excessively overpriced WP’s, high repair costs (because you have nice armor to survive that high level content), and hordes of mobs to ensure that you’re going to pay one or the other (and probably both). Repeatedly if you don’t ride the event zerg.
So please, don’t make them even more punishing with DR because someone is a bigger self-centered jerk than the average legitimate player.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

I don’t really understand why I can’t roam around to different maps, doing different events and not get punished for it.

You could before Arenanet team put all these changes in place. DR should not penalize PVErs who happen to finish events quickly. But the current implementation does. For those who have not hit it yet, do this?

Go to Hrathi Highlands or Orr. some place with common enemies and tons of DEs. Do the DE chains as fast as you can. Then watch your rewards. Make sure to kill mobs and to do at least 4 or 5 DEs in a row.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Yerffejy.6538

Yerffejy.6538

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/DR-in-WvW/first#post325497

Doing well in WvW also has it’s drawbacks. I made this post, but it is very relevant to this post.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Why is there no official response on this yet?
Seriously, this implementation (the system altogether) is completly ridiculous since it goes AGAINST the rest of game mechanics.

I’d like to quote Gaile from another thread – of course I can’t really quote because forum buttons are gone for me AGAIN:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/I-bought-a-wrong-item-from-the-token-vendor/first#post329129

Your comments are accurate. A “buy back” feature needs to be carefully and thoughtfully designed. If the team wanted to implement this feature, they would not want to rush it out as a stop-gap measure, only to find that it wasn’t designed as well as it could be. Any feature that is implemented into a game should be well-thought and carefully designed, which is something that the team is fully capable of… and somewhat well-known for doing.

Then why are you releasing such important feature that concerns every single player of yours without making sure “it is designed as well as it could be”, but was clearly “rushed out as a stop-gap measure” (to counter bots…): DR on events and mob killing have more far reaching consequences than a buy-back feature because every minute any of your players is playing your game, they come in touch with your code by doing events and killing mobs.

And it clearly has not been “well-thought and carefully designed”, because – example that has been brough in many times on this subject – in Orr or in WvWvW you kill one type of mob and you get hit with DR immediately. Or if you follow any of your event chains, you’re doing events – different events!- in quick succession, also usually killing same type of mob (I find it impossible to actually list an event where different mob types spawn or required to be killed!).

Your DR code is actually preventing from playing the game as you clearly intended it to be played – otherwise you wouldn’t put as many events in the same area spawning as fast, or had much slower chains. You wouldn’t have most end-game zones full of one type of mob only either (all Orr maps, but also most dungeons which are ALWAYS filled mostly with one mob type).
This update is thus gamebreaking and your silence on this matter insulting.

Gaile, I do not mean this as a personal attack because your post I quoted described precisely how it should be. However what has been done stands in direct opposition to these principles.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback about the diminishing returns system. As a reminder, we’re all about iteration and sincerely value your thoughts and opinions; we’ll provide more information on this issue soon. In the meantime, please direct your discussion to this thread so that we can keep this topic focused in one place. Thanks again!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed