Ping spikes driving me away from GW2.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Ballistic.2570

Ballistic.2570

I’m downloading Black Desert Online as I type this and I sincerely hope it doesn’t replace GW2 for me. As it stands, this game is simply unplayable for me. I’ll either log on to a 1k ping that’s ready to spike to 5k, or I’ll log on to a stable ping but then go through a loading screen and it will spike.

I managed to get 3 sweet hours of stable ping on EB (WvW) on Saturday, before the comm switched maps and boom I was at 4k. It really is heartbreaking, as to me that shows it’s not something that I can fix on my end (not that I haven’t tried). It’s the same story in PvE, I might get one of the daily fractals done with a normal ping before it spikes. Anytime I go through a loading screen, it’s a roll of the dice. Sometimes If I re-log, it will be ok for a bit on the new character, sometimes not. Other times the ping says 0 but I think that’s when the map doesn’t load fully or something. Regrettably that’s the gold production in tatters.

This has been going on since Thursday. Maybe that doesn’t sound like a long time to some people. It sure feels bad letting down the guildies though. 4 times now (I’m still counting Saturday) I’ve had to explain that I can’t play on. 4 days on and no sign of any improvement, I’ve decided to start playing a new game. If I can’t play Guild Wars 2, I’ll have to settle for something else. I’m not about to invest money into a game that I don’t intend to play for at least 1k hours though.

The plan right now is to completely abandon PvE, which I only do to pass the time and make a little gold. I have enough gold/mats/gems that I’m set for life. I’ll log on for prime time WvW and hopefully it will work but if not I’ll have a back-up option.

So In summary, thanks for the 2.5k hours of fun; I hope this isn’t the end. Either way you’ve lost a PvE player though o/

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Since what I know about computers/internet can fit in a thimble with room to spare I’ll ask a couple of dumb questions.

Isn’t ping the route the data is taking from the game <—> computer and spikes are a holdup on that route? If it’s the internet that causing ping, what can ANet do to fix it? (Obviously the OP thinks it’s ANet’s fault since he made the post to tell ANet that the game has lost a player).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It sucks that this is happening to you. Just out of curiosity tho where are you located in the world?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Also what OS and networking do you use? On Windows 10 with a netgear WiFi adapter I was getting huge ping spikes after my PC spent a few days running. The only “fix” I could find was to reset networking completely when it started happening and set it up again. I bought a powerline adapter about a month ago and it’s been perfect ever since.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Just because you’re having trouble connecting doesn’t mean there’s a problem on ANet’s end. It’s certainly possible; it’s just one of many possibilities, and not even the most likely.

BDO went down tonight for five of us in different parts of the US. No game is immune to problems and the internet infrastructure wasn’t really built for all the traffic we consume these days. I’d expect more games to run into trouble in the future, with the game companies themselves wringing their hands, just as much as we do.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ana.2415

Ana.2415

He is not the only one with the same problem guys. It seems more players have the same issue, including me.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Huge-lag-and-delay

(edited by Ana.2415)

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

lag spike and disconnect seams to be higher this year. when many people experience this it is more then likely on anet side of things or very close to them. if it is only you check your connection make some speed test and tracert to see where the issue is happening between you and anet server if you see excessive timing on the route or some unknow result they are probably the issue. unknow is when they block the icmp but the icmp is used by server and router to determinate the mtu. what happens is that the packet get fragmented or lost and the icmp being block the server or router receiving end is blind to this and have issue to re ask what packet is lost since it does not see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Control_Message_Protocol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Since what I know about computers/internet can fit in a thimble with room to spare I’ll ask a couple of dumb questions.

Isn’t ping the route the data is taking from the game <—> computer and spikes are a holdup on that route? If it’s the internet that causing ping, what can ANet do to fix it? (Obviously the OP thinks it’s ANet’s fault since he made the post to tell ANet that the game has lost a player).

Yes, that’s correct: the “ping” is the time the packet takes to make it from your computer, through a bunch of different computers, and finally to the anet server, then all the way back again. (Almost always taking the same path back as it did on the way to the other end.)

Your hardware and your ISP are the first three to six machines that touch that data, and the last … one or more … are anet machines. (technically, I think, a bunch are ncsoft, since the anet servers are in an ncsoft data center, which is possibly just a leased part of a data center owned by someone else…)

Most of the issues reported recently have been with machines owned by level3 in the US, which is a “transit provider”, which you could think of as an analog of “owns a private highway” that your packets use between your isp and the ncsoft/anet owned parts, and which … has some, possibly indirect, relationship with anet.

eg: it is possible that ncsoft pay someone for space in a data center, and the data center pay someone for access to “the internet”, which could by level3, or could be someone who pays level3 to carry their traffic, and so … anet are maybe two or three steps removed from the problem spot.

which means they complain to the support people at ncsoft who talk to the data center who talk to their provider who maybe yell at level3, who … well, you get the idea.

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

These lag spikes are general issue, not just one or two people.

Posted by: Kari.3849

Kari.3849

Since last update it’s terrible. i can ping anythin with result of 22-24, but gw2 shows 4k, and its constantyl freezin.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Depending on your connection, downloading another game can also be a surefire way to end up with horrible lag while trying to play … or your phone/steam deciding that it really must start doing updates just as you started fighting a boss. >_>

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

These lag spikes are general issue, not just one or two people.

They are hitting some-but-not-all players. Personally, other than a couple of hours of pain one evening, I’ve had absolutely no problem.

So, yeah, it’s not “one or two” people, but it’s also not “everyone”, which is what most contributes to the belief that it’s in the network outside of anet/ncsoft’s directly controlled network.

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

I got the same probem to. Game is running fine with ping around 40 avg then it spikes up to over 1000. This started after the patch delay duo to the snowstorm.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I got the same probem to. Game is running fine with ping around 40 avg then it spikes up to over 1000.

You need to run a program like PingPlotter in the background to constantly ping the route in an attempt to show where the problem is. There’s nothing you can do however if the problem is between your ISP and ArenaNet, which it usually is. In that case, you can only try to avoid the problem by using VPNs to change your route.

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

@Healix
I will try pingplotter. Thank you!

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

@Healix

Make sure you try it on the game server IP game site like forums is different server than the game it’s self.
This here is North America Game server IP: 64.25.38.106 (it maybe different for you)
Not sure what EU server IP would be or if it connects through there aswell if you need to know there is various ways I use an app called “TCP View” to get that info link if you want it: http://download.cnet.com/TCPView/3000-2094_4-10796077.html While in game run it then it tell you every ip connected including game clients ofcoarse.

(edited by TEKnowledgy.1760)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

@Healix

Make sure you try it on the game server IP game site like forums is different server than the game it’s self.
This here is North America Game server IP: 64.25.38.106 (it maybe different for you)
Not sure what EU server IP would be or if it connects through there aswell if you need to know there is various ways I use an app called “TCP View” to get that info link if you want it: http://download.cnet.com/TCPView/3000-2094_4-10796077.html While in game run it then it tell you every ip connected including game clients ofcoarse.

Just use the /ip command inside the game.

The IP is going to be different depending on which map instance you are in. Although in the end it shouldn’t matter much which specific IP you use as long as it is in the correct region (NA or EU).

EU IPs start with 206.127.×.x instead of 64.25.×.x

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

@Healix

Just use the /ip command inside the game.

The IP is going to be different depending on which map instance you are in. Although in the end it shouldn’t matter much which specific IP you use as long as it is in the correct region (NA or EU).

EU IPs start with 206.127.×.x instead of 64.25.×.x

Cool beans either way he/she needs server ip and not use forums/websites ehehe i use the tool because I use it for other things and system monitoring what ever works best i just copy/paste ip easier than trying remember the ip from in game. Each to their own ways.

(edited by TEKnowledgy.1760)