Random Popping with echo Noise

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: cilo.2789

cilo.2789

None of the posts I’ve looked at seem to fit the bill of what I’m experiencing. Even before the forums were up, I’ve been trying to google fixes or even other people experiencing the same thing with no real luck.

The pitch (and sometimes volume) of the sound varies slightly each time, but for the majority of the time it sounds a lot like a book or other hard object dropping onto a hard floor in a very large room (slight echo).

The only other person I’ve found with the same problem had a reply from another person saying that it’s caused by pets moving over different terrain. I do play a ranger, so it made some sense to me, but it isn’t limited to just that.

I generally keep game volume relatively low, and after a few people reported sound glitching, I’ve kept the sound quality somewhat low as well. However, the volume doesn’t seem to affect the bug and sometimes it comes out incredibly loud (loud enough to startle me).

It never happens predictably. It’s just one random noise, so it’s nearly impossible to record unless I just let it record during the entirety of my time playing. It can’t be limited to just my pet moving over different terrain since I’ve heard it even while standing AFK near a bugged skill challenge (waiting for server restart).

Quite honestly, it’s driving me nuts. A few times I’ve even heard it while tabbed out of the game. I know it’ll happen, but every time it does I’m never prepared for it and it startles the crap out of me.

Posted by: Quazor.1354

Quazor.1354

i got about the same just now, was when lots of noises came together (wvw) and ingame sounds stopped totally and echo started.. alt tabbed from game and i could still hear it. after i closed the game it stopped, weird and annoying sound.

Posted by: StarsLife.7320

StarsLife.7320

Posted by: Cluisanna.1360

Cluisanna.1360

I have this too, all the time. It’s much louder than all the other sounds in the game and really hurting my ears – just random sounds like a metallic “clunk” or a bubbly sound, things like that, with a weird echo, extremely random but at least every 10 minutes or so. Also, the worst part is that this sound can be heard even when gw2 is minimized, so I have more than once been startled horribly because I was doing something else with gw2 in the background and suddenly this loud sound was played.

There is also a problem with the walking sounds of ranger pets (of other people just passing by) sometimes bugging out and being extremely loud. Usually this resets after the pet has left the hear distance, but it is also extremely unnerving and painful. The sounds always seem to be the same volume no matter how high the master volume is.
None of my friends have this problem, but I talked to some people in map chat some days ago who complained about the same thing.

And no, this is nothing like the problems described in the other thread, it’s just a sudden, loud, echoing sound while the rest of the game music still plays. (Although I do have the problem that game sounds just aren’t there at all, but I doubt this is connected.)

Posted by: Cluisanna.1360

Cluisanna.1360

I thought for some time that this had stopped, but it happens now more than ever. I hope this is going to get fixed soon.

Posted by: bluedeltawolf.3759

bluedeltawolf.3759

I have the same problem, its so hard to explain how it sounds to someone who has never heard it before. But you ( the person who started this thread ).. seem to have come the closest. It has been driving me nuts since release, happens on at least 10 occasions in 1 playing period ( 5-10 hours ). It happens on my guardian too so i dont know if it is a pet problem only, but definately happens to my ranger pets. Loud echo noise followed by lots of thumping and ( painfully ) loud footsteps like books being banged on a table in a big echoey cave. Almost impossible to describe. Sometimes it sounds like Massive bears pawing at a door…. weird and very annoying. I was thinking of changing headset to a different brand because i read on another forum about logitech headset problems. Although none of those problems were anything like ours. If anyone has a fix or workaround for this please enlighten me. Its the only problem i have with GW2.. its otherwise perfect. <3 Arenanet.

P.S i may have found a temporary fix… go to option and sound.. and reset all to default… then readjust your volume to preferred level.. it doesn’t fix permanantly. but avoids a log-out. Hope it helps.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This bug has been mentioned many times, and once even got a Dev response over in Audio, I believe. But no fix yet.

Mine has even migrated to outside the game, so I guess the game does something odd to the sound drivers or card. I don’t know.

Hopefully, some day, they will be able to reproduce it and track down the problem. Until then, no playing with headphones for me.

Posted by: Kabuki.9103

Kabuki.9103

I get this too but was wondering recently if it only happens when I have Teamspeak 3 running.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I have been getting this exactly was the OP described:

the majority of the time it sounds a lot like a book or other hard object dropping onto a hard floor in a very large room (slight echo).

just random sounds like a metallic “clunk” or a bubbly sound, things like that, with a weird echo, extremely random but at least every 10 minutes or so. Also, the worst part is that this sound can be heard even when gw2 is minimized

I have been hearing it since I started playing the game (about 10 months ago) and I have noted it usually happens some time after some loud sounds is played (like explosions, sound effect from skills like Chaos Storm, after battles [that’s filled with loud sounds of course], etc). I’m thinking about to let it record during a game session and see if I can capture it. I believe I could get it as it’s not so rare to happen. Luckily I don’t use my headset with a loud volume so it doesn’t scares me too much, but it’s very annoying indeed.

There is another thread about this issue beside the one posted above: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Popping-noise-occuring-randomly

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I get this even with the game sound muted. Very annoying. I wear headphones and I keep thinking I’m going to go deaf from it one of these days.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Huggyos.9584

Huggyos.9584

Yeah, it definitely can be dangerous.
I hear that too since the game released. Wondering why they don’t care about serious issues as well.

We will Desolate!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The one I hear does NOT sound anything like the video in the linked thread, but instead it sounds a bit like the “dramatic” sound from Law & Order. It is slightly shorter/sharper and more echo-y, and it is quite a bit louder than other sounds in GW2, so I assume this is what the OP is talking about.

Labjax.2465

The one I hear does NOT sound anything like the video in the linked thread, but instead it sounds a bit like the “dramatic” sound from Law & Order. It is slightly shorter/sharper and more echo-y, and it is quite a bit louder than other sounds in GW2, so I assume this is what the OP is talking about.

Interesting. Mine is like the one linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkavVdhdPeo&feature=plcp

Except much louder than how it sounds in the recording.

I hear that too since the game released. Wondering why they don’t care about serious issues as well.

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. Unfortunately, it’s probably one of those bugs that’s obnoxiously difficult to reproduce with any sort of consistency.

Or words to that effect.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Interesting. Mine is like the one linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkavVdhdPeo&feature=plcp

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. Unfortunately, it’s probably one of those bugs that’s obnoxiously difficult to reproduce with any sort of consistency.

I have the above linked sound, have had it since shortly after launch. It persists even when the game is muted and/or minimized, and has even migrated out of the game to other applications, occasionally. Some sound files/bits/whatever must get stuck in the sound card, and something triggers them to play explosively, I guess. I’m not an Audio/Computer engineer, so….

I wish they could find what is causing it and eradicate it once and for all. It nearly gives me a heart attack when it suddenly manifests.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Labjax.2465

Oh hey by the way, for those who are trying not to lose their hearing and/or have a heart attack: Changing the level of your windows sound (or relevant speakers/headset volume control) will lower the volume of the popping sound when it happens.

My advice (which I am now starting to do) is keep your main sound down and turn up the sound of the stuff that you want to hear. So for example, if you’re listening to music while playing, then turn the music’s volume control up and your main sound down – same with in-game sounds if you’re using the GW2 sound.

In short, the sound appears to play from whatever process is relegated to your main sound control, so that’s where it will be affected by volume control.

Or words to that effect.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure what you mean by that. Considering the sound plays even if the game is muted and/or minimized, the in-game sounds controls do not seem to affect the sound.

Turning down Windows Main Sound control lowers every applications sound, so (at least in my case) if I were to lower Windows Main Sound, I would not be able to hear anything in-game.

Maybe I just don’t understand what you mean…

Labjax.2465

I’m not sure what you mean by that. Considering the sound plays even if the game is muted and/or minimized, the in-game sounds controls do not seem to affect the sound.

Turning down Windows Main Sound control lowers every applications sound, so (at least in my case) if I were to lower Windows Main Sound, I would not be able to hear anything in-game.

Maybe I just don’t understand what you mean…

I couldn’t word it quite how I wanted to. Basically… yes, “main sound control” lowers every application’s sound, but the game sound has separate volume control. So if I have my windows sound at 50%, then I usually have my game sound at something like 20-25% or else it’s too loud for me. But if I have my windows sound at 15%, then I can turn my game sound up to something more like 60% and it’s roughly the same volume in terms of what I hear from the game, while windows-specific sounds are distinctly lower in volume.

Does that make sense?

Or words to that effect.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m guessing you mean the game’s sound volume controls. Inside the game.

So, change every application’s sound, if they have any controls.

I guess it might be worth a try.

It would be better if they would just fix this, but I guess that’s not forthcoming any time soon. Sigh.

Labjax.2465

I’m guessing you mean the game’s sound volume controls. Inside the game.

So, change every application’s sound, if they have any controls.

I guess it might be worth a try.

It would be better if they would just fix this, but I guess that’s not forthcoming any time soon. Sigh.

Yeah, pretty much. I would love a fix too, but I’m not getting my hopes up. :/

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Huggyos.9584

Huggyos.9584

I don’t hear that continous pulsing nor muffled sounds that linked in the thread, but a sudden short irony cracking one at maximum volume that independent about the ingame volume settings. Very hurtful.
I have an Asus xonar audio card.

We will Desolate!

Posted by: Hamuko.3547

Hamuko.3547

I have been hearing this since I started playing and have been trying to find out what it is. It seems to happen at completely random times.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

yep, this happens to me too, i have no idea what it causes or why, but it doesn’t happen in any other games. only gw2

Are you Shpongled?