Runes of Speed not giving 6-piece bonus

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Why do non-programmers always think that fixing bugs is like flipping on a light switch?

“Hey, Bob, engineer turrets are bugged again, can you fix it?”
“Sure, what are they doing?”
“Whenever another player nearby draws the Moot, they start playing ‘Stayin Alive’ and disco dancing. It’s really annoying.”
Click, click, click, “ok, disco = 0. That should take care of it.”
“Thanx, Bob, when do you want to apply the fix?”
“Oh, in about three or four months. I don’t want to make it look too easy.”

If you are referring to me I would like to point out that my only question was “has anyone heard any information”. Though I do think the poster above is probably accurate about why it has gone so long without a fix. These are not new bugs, they’ve been around for a long time. I just want some information on if they’ve announced they are intending to fix them. I don’t care why they aren’t fixed, just curious if anyone has any info on if anything has been announced by them.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

bug begets bug begets bug. The code in itself for the runes may be perfect, but somewhere in a ~million lines of code something else is breaking it. Like in the code of a fun box or something, because the drop rates of black lion chests were changed on a night that the moon was 98% full. heh

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

The 25% is the same as traveler’s. If travelers worked why couldn’t speed work?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I’m not referring to anyone in particular, just my attempt at humor.

I studied simple programming long, long ago. Back in the Dark Ages when computer monitors consisted of a black screen and a blinking white light, and typing the wrong thing got you a response like “Syntax Error.” There were no mice or hard drives and we stored programs on disks the size of dinner plates. Windows was something you looked out of when you were wishing you were somewhere else.

They don’t announce they will fix a bug because they can’t. They announce after a bug has been fixed because in order to fix it you have to find it first. If they haven’t found it yet they have no idea how long it will take to find it and if they have already found it then the bug has been fixed and so they don’t need to announce they intend to fix it.

The bugs in simple programs like a database or a program to move a box around the monitor screen drove me crazy. Fixing bugs in something as complex as an MMO is like repairing a jet engine while the plane is in flight. The amazing thing is not how long it takes to fix a bug but that they get fixed at all! And the next update breaks a dozen more things.

If you haven’t done it, you can’t understand what it involves. Imagine being shown an entire wing of a library – hundreds or thousands of books, and being told that there is a typo in one of those books. Find it and correct it. By next Tuesday.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

If you haven’t done it, you can’t understand what it involves. Imagine being shown an entire wing of a library – hundreds or thousands of books, and being told that there is a typo in one of those books. Find it and correct it. By next Tuesday.

Or that there are 1000 type-o’s in those books, and fix the ones you randomly come across. There can be no ETA to finding some particular bug. poke 53280,0; poke 53281,0

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

If you can’t answer the guy’s question, why are you posting to attack him?

Trolls..I swear…

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

he’s not trolling it’s “just his attempt at humour”

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

tested Superior Runes of Speed this morning and it is still NOWHERE close to a person with an actual 25% run speed

I have to assume that Anet has been aware of this issue since launch… because these runes have been broken that long. And yes, they have sent a representative here to say “don’t worry folks, we are aware of this issue” and yet they still do not bother to fix this issue. This leads me to believe they really don’t care at all about this issue.

What else should I conclude based upon their actions?

The rune has only been bugged for 2 weeks, not since release. They changed the tooltip to +25% movement speed to match the traveler rune set but they havent changed the actual 6th rune bonus which just gives 5% as before.

2 weeks of carrying a worthless rune, ugh… Yes I know many other runes are broken, but its often minor things that are very annoying but not something that you rely on to survive.

Superior rune of Speed 6th bonus is bugged every second and every minute of the game with a noticable difference in gameplay. Imagine if every speed signet was suddenly not working. It’d make entire classes unplayable in WvW.

At least they could say if its been fixed internally or not, if its coming in tuesdays patch

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Proper code documentation and naming methods for things such as variables, functions, etc. is vital to fixing bugs. Modern coding software usually has extensive search features designed specifically to track down information related to a problem.
The main issue with GW2 is likely not a problem of finding random errors in code, but that they are more interested in fixing ones that affect their revenue in the short term, simply because money is all they care about.

There are lots of runes and sigils in the game, but they are most likely all the same object class in the code (assuming they use a software language that uses OOP), wherein their effects/attributes are defined. This doesn’t simplify the issue of finding a bug like a speed buff not happening, but it’s also not a needle-in-a-mountain-sized-haystack problem either.

Anet has chosen to go with a high-pressure environment for their development team, and in two weeks of blitz-coding, lots of bugs show up, but that’s where the money is, so those are the only bugs that get attention for the first few days. After that they ignore them and start prepping for the bugs that come in with the next two weeks worth of content.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Wukunlin.8461

this game (and many other mmo’s) are excellent examples on the meaning and advantages of modular designs.

Oceanic [LOD]

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I’m not referring to anyone in particular, just my attempt at humor.

I studied simple programming long, long ago. Back in the Dark Ages when computer monitors consisted of a black screen and a blinking white light, and typing the wrong thing got you a response like “Syntax Error.” There were no mice or hard drives and we stored programs on disks the size of dinner plates. Windows was something you looked out of when you were wishing you were somewhere else.

They don’t announce they will fix a bug because they can’t. They announce after a bug has been fixed because in order to fix it you have to find it first. If they haven’t found it yet they have no idea how long it will take to find it and if they have already found it then the bug has been fixed and so they don’t need to announce they intend to fix it.

The bugs in simple programs like a database or a program to move a box around the monitor screen drove me crazy. Fixing bugs in something as complex as an MMO is like repairing a jet engine while the plane is in flight. The amazing thing is not how long it takes to fix a bug but that they get fixed at all! And the next update breaks a dozen more things.

You guys really assumed that I don’t know anything about programming. How odd, I would have asked before making the assumption.

I started out with BASIC. qb/gwb being my first real programming. From there I spread out to C, C++, (worked with several IDEs, usually use notepad++), database work etc.

This isn’t some kitten size contest though. I’m not here to say I’m better than you at this. I do realize the difficulty in tracking a bug of course. I will say that if I were at a job and I was told “there is a bug”, but instead of addressing it I replied “sure, but I’m going to add new stuff first” I probably wouldn’t have a job long. Spaghetti code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_code
(for those that don’t know), is pretty much the issue here.

Anyway the point of the thread was to get some information. Someone mentioned the lyssa rune, so maybe they will at least fix that. The reason I even asked about this to begin with is because I saw they were thinking about adding new sigils. I thought surely they wouldn’t add new stuff without fixing the broken ones first. I’m a bit stupid about some things though.

Contrary to what people might think, I would rather this not turn into some argument. The reality is none of us will ever know if they haven’t fixed them because of money, or it’s too hard, or they don’t care, or any of a number of reasons. We all have our own feelings about it. It aggravates me, because I would really like to use some of those runes. If anyone sees anything please post it though. thank you.

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Wukunlin.8461

This is the guideline anet programmers used:
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/unmain.html

hard to debug indeed

Oceanic [LOD]

GSSBlunaspike.4153

This is the guideline anet programmers used:
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/unmain.html

hard to debug indeed

I don’t know who you are, but you are awesome. Very very awesome. Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

My mistake, I assumed you were “everyone else” because you seem to be demanding that they fix Bug X right now and anyone who knows even a little programming understands that it can be very difficult to track down a bug in a project as huge and diverse as an MMO. Game breaking bugs have to be fixed, the little stuff sometimes gets pushed aside to be worked on when they can.

You’re right, they’re not going to announce why or how they fix whatever bugs they fix and don’t fix what they don’t. I suspect it’s not a multiple choice answer, or if it is then the answer is D All of the above.

I have no intention of getting the measuring tape out either, in fact my own dabbling in programming is terribly out of date and ends with a passing knowledge of Turbo Pascal. I just mentioned it to underscore the fact that I understand and sympathize with the devs trying to track down bugs in a maze of code that, if printed, would crush a man under its weight.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

Rune of Water #6 doesn’t work any more. I know it didn’t work long ago. Then they fixed it but now it has again not been working for quite some time.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Lead Designer Jonathan Sharp stated in his preview towards the Oct. 15th Balance Patch, that an overhaul of Runes and Sigils is to be expected further down the road.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/October-15th-balance-skills-updates-preview/first#post2832808

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

Agreed, +25% movement on an affordable rune set is a huge deal for class balance. I can’t imagine how many mesmers and guards are itching to drop these nice defensive runes on their armour and keep up with the pack.

Trading the rune 6th slot bonus for a utility skill seems a fair trade, so this fix is a big deal when it comes to classes and movement speed balance.

<tinfoilhat> But of course, classes without a speed signet could always drop a ton of gems for gold and purchase the painfully expensive traveler runes, to keep up with the zerg zerk pack kittens (who are so favoured in the meta for the last few updates). </tinfoilhat>

Wukunlin.8461

GG mods, this is a game bug not a forum bug

Oceanic [LOD]

GSSBlunaspike.4153

GG mods, this is a game bug not a forum bug

LOL I saw the private msg thing and just assumed I had an infraction waiting. I’m not even sure who I would msg to tell them that this isn’t about the website?

Maybe this is the graveyard threads go to die.

To the other poster above, of course I realize that it’s not easy to fix the bugs. My opinion is that the programmers on this game are already over worked. Anet likely puts far more people into marketing, coming up with black lion stuff, and very little into the actual programming. It ends up with the guys who do the hard work putting in 90 hours a week for very little reward. I have tons of sympathy for those guys. If I could ask anyone at Anet it would be them, because they are the ones that can give real answers. Community reps, and “head developers” can say whatever people want. The guys back there working their butts off are the ones that could say .

Anyway since this has been moved here, I guess the best answer is that about a possible overhaul.

Thanks everyone for the discussion, I hope you all had a great weekend.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Stay classy, mods.

Dawdler.8521

6th rune bonus still broken after todays patch. At least I cant notice any run speed difference, can someone confirm?

Posted by: Rexonon.6723

Rexonon.6723

I am seriously annoyed that this has still not been fixed. Areanet keeps preaching about quality but it’s now been weeks and nothing has happened… I’m not sure they even care?

Should I abandon this game before I waste any more time or money on it? Are they always this sloppy at fixing things?

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

I can’t see what is so difficult to provide a fix for this. Some team members can do whole adventure boxes in their spare time. I am very disappointed to see it still broken.

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

Still broken in PVP…

Rexonon.6723

Still broken and still not even an acknowledgement from the staff.

Dawdler.8521

As per the patch notes, Anet can fix trivial visual bugs in days (mining pick animation) but they cant fix something like broken runes that doesnt give the bonus they are supposed to, negativly affecting the gameplay???

Not a word? Come on Anet. Tell us something. I am quickly loosing all respect for your otherwise very talkative staff and excellent community relations.

Has the broken Speed rune been swept under the bugs-we-can-easily-fix-but-dont-want-to-rug out of sPvP balance concerns or something? Then just remove the kitten thing from sPvP. Traveler rune isnt there anyway, it wouldnt make a difference.

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

It’s stated in the Wiki to be a known bug.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Speed

Posted by: Devilsown.9376

Devilsown.9376

9 days and 3 patches ago…

“Thanks for the report, I will investigate this.” means “I will put it to the SVN, marked as not urgent”, or what?

Dawdler.8521

Of course its a known bug, they replied in this thread! What we want to know is when and if its going to be fixed because its obviously falling on deaf ears. They have fixed tons of stuff since this was reported, including absolutely trivial things… yet done nothing for this seemingly simple fix. Its not like its new functionality – traveler run works. Same bonus.

What scares me even more is the “leaked” patch notes for the rebalance patch which note that the Lyssa rune has been fixed (see dev notes above) but not the Speed rune!

So yeah… Known bug. We know.

Posted by: ValeV.4875

ValeV.4875

Follow-up: We’re working on a fix for Lyssa runes. Not able to give a date, though.

I think 6th lyssa rune doesnt give boons if you make an action immidieatly after using elite. For instance on my s/d thief, I always have to wait for it to proc, and then I can use skills/dodge.

Rexonon.6723

Hilarious, I got infracted and the post got deleted for saying “And another day passes by”…

Love that they actually read this, take action against a post but fail to let the players, the community, the people paying their wages know that they are aware of an issue and are actively working on fixing it.

As already mentioned, just swap these runes for the working travellers runes if you cant be bothered to fix it?

If it is not actually supposed to give this speed boost, then why not change the tool tip? Either of these options should be an incredibly easy feat…

I can see this is not uncommon when looking through the bugs section…

(edited by Rexonon.6723)

Posted by: Rene.4085

Rene.4085

The rune has only been bugged for 2 weeks, not since release. They changed the tooltip to +25% movement speed to match the traveler rune set but they havent changed the actual 6th rune bonus which just gives 5% as before.

but… but…. the game launched “about a year ago”, and I found this post in these forums regarding these exact same runes…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bug-6-piece-set-bonus-from-Superior-Rune-of-Speed-Not-Working

that thread was created “about a year ago”.

These things have been broken since then?

(edited by Moderator)

Rene.4085

AND… AND…. how is it that the superior runes of Traveler were NOT ORIGINALLY CREATED to give a speed boost, and now those are the ONLY runes that actually give the speed boost? and the runes that WERE ORIGINALLY CREATED to provide a speed boost DON"T GIVE THE SPEED BOOST? What?!? What!?!

And you wonder why WE are upset?

Dawdler.8521

Ah, I didnt know that the original functionality was broken as well.

Got to remember to create a ticket to Anet to detach my runes or refund the cost of the runes. Its been 3 weeks now with the new broken 6th bonus and the only thing we get is “its in the tracker”. Which it clearly is not since icons no one ever look at that “confuse players” get higher priority to fix than something gameplay breaking.

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

WTF!…..I bought them runes a few days ago. haven’t used them yet so I can still sell them. But this just messed up my built. Sigh…..

Posted by: VictoriousMonk.7150

VictoriousMonk.7150

but… but…. the game launched “about a year ago”, and I found this post in these forums regarding these exact same runes…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bug-6-piece-set-bonus-from-Superior-Rune-of-Speed-Not-Working

that thread was created “about a year ago”.

These things have been broken since then?

CLEARLY Anet frankly doesn’t give a kitten . (haha, curious if they are going to “kitten” a play on words from gone with the wind, if they do omg)

It would appear that way.

What’s sad is it even says that it’s a bug on their official Wiki page:

Bug: The 6-piece bonus still rewards the 5% movement speed it had previous to the 2013-09-03 patch instead of 25%

So they know it’s not working.

Posted by: Seid.2654

Seid.2654

Does anyone have an idea if this has already been addressed?

Rexonon.6723

I gather this is still broken? I actually cant be bothered to play the game until it is…

Still no word from the mods or devs… Just pure laziness.

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

Still not fixed (at least in PVP). Come on Anet! It’s been 24 days already!

Posted by: Rypo Falem.8913

Rypo Falem.8913

Hey folks,

We have this issue in our tracker.

Thank you for the reports.

Thanks for this much. I know a lot of people in this thread feel like they are being ignored since it seems like such a simple fix and wasn’t fixed in the last update. It’s clear that ANet isn’t ignoring us but can we get any confirmation that it will be fixed in next week’s update? If not can you give us a time frame?

I’ve already had these runes on my mesmer for 3 weeks now and they are still bugged so I have 12 gold worth of runes sitting on exotic armor and it provides no significant boost. I don’t want to salvage the runes because that a full exotic armor set wasted. I don’t want to replace the runes because that’s 12 gold wasted.

However, if this issue isn’t planned to be fixed until, say, christmas or later, I feel I would be much better off replacing the runes with something else and eating the 12 gold I wasted so my mesmer won’t be at a disadvantage until the point it is fixed.

Thank you for your consideration.

EDIT:

What’s sad is it even says that it’s a bug on their official Wiki page:

Bug: The 6-piece bonus still rewards the 5% movement speed it had previous to the 2013-09-03 patch instead of 25%

So they know it’s not working.

Actually, I added that bug note myself. Even though arena net maintains (essentially pays for) the wiki, it is still a “wiki” and 99% of the information posted and updated there is from contributors using their own free time for the benefit of the community.

The reason we know that they are aware of the bug is because they said that they are tracking it on the first page in this very thread.

(edited by Rypo Falem.8913)

Rexonon.6723

The reason we know that they are aware of the bug is because they said that they are tracking it on the first page in this very thread.

Without going back and reading it (might eat my words now) but I’m pretty sure they only mentioned that they are fixing the Lyssa runes and completely ignored the speed runes.

Rypo Falem.8913

Without going back and reading it (might eat my words now) but I’m pretty sure they only mentioned that they are fixing the Lyssa runes and completely ignored the speed runes.

Nah, Runes of Lyssa were only mentioned once before Josh said they were tracking the bug. Then Josh came back and said that they were working the Lyssa issues as well.

Dawdler.8521

25 days and 10 or so patches ago. Yeah… Dont hold your breath. My advice: Buy traveler rune and enjoy it. Chances are far higher that you’ll make another 40 gold before the speed runes are fixed.

Rypo Falem.8913

Only 1 major patch and they usually only fix that sort of thing (skills, runes, traits, etc) on major patches. I’m really hoping next patch will fix it.

Rene.4085

Hey folks,

We have this issue in our tracker.

Thank you for the reports.

uhhhmm, ya. 26 days ago Josh Davis – Anet representative says “we have this issue in our tracker.”

Still not fixed.

WHY?!? Each day that passes with this not fixed just creates more disgust and anger towards this game.

Again, Superior rune of Speed was the ONLY superior rune that was originally intended to give the 25% movement speed boost, only now the only rune that actually DOES give the speed boost is the ridiculously expensive Superior rune of the traveler (40 gold 14 silver for a set of 6) which was not originally intended to give the speed boost.

This is so f’ed up.

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

We should have a fix going in for the Runes of Speed in the Oct. 15th update that will restore the 25% movement speed for the six-piece bonus.

That said, we feel that this rune is underwhelming in its intended state and is going to be a prime candidate for a rework in the near future. (Along with a bunch of other runes and sigils.)

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

We should have a fix going in for the Runes of Speed in the Oct. 15th update that will restore the 25% movement speed for the six-piece bonus.

That said, we feel that this rune is underwhelming in its intended state and is going to be a prime candidate for a rework in the near future. (Along with a bunch of other runes and sigils.)

Hmm that is interesting and actually exciting.

Looking at the current setup of the rune

(1): +25 Vitality
(2): +20% Swiftness duration
(3): +50 Vitality
(4): 5% chance to gain Swiftness for 30s when hit. (Cooldown: 60s)
(5): +90 Vitality
(6): +25% movement speed

Then based off Chap and your comments about some runes getting reworked/some of the RNG removed my guess is the 4 piece bonus will be changed for sure. If that is getting changed for that Rune then educated guess is that all runes with this type of bonus will be changed. Excellent change if this is the case.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Rypo Falem.8913

Thank you for the update

I really like the rune as-is (and more than the rune of the traveler TBH) because it fits well with my mesmer. It gives me some extra beefyness while making me that much harder to catch in the first place. The #4 bonus gives a small chance to ever proc (1/20 hits would proc it so you could be dead by then) but when it does, 36 seconds of swiftness is much appreciated.

Rexonon.6723

Finally a proper answer to this…

Now we need to wait until the 15th of October which is another 15 days added onto the 26 days its already been?

I’m really disappointed to be honest. I’ve now lost interest in this game and unfortunately its too little too late for me (Not that Anet would notice) haha.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

The other problem with rune of speed is that if you have 6 piece, the 2 and 4 piece is pretty much pointless.