Story Skipped or Changed? [merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Maulor.9847

Maulor.9847

This is a failure for sure. And I feel that a fix is possible, but doesn’t meet Anet’s requirements for it to be worth the man-hours necessary to fix it for the amount of players they perceive as both Affected by the issue, and unwilling to continue their story quest when it isn’t what they wanted.

Most people will eventually give in and do the story they didn’t ask for, begrudgingly.

I got the order I asked for, but since my girlfriend did not, we are not able to adventure together in the same story, and she doesn’t want to continue doing story quests, so I won’t be either.

Posted by: orktorzult.9368

orktorzult.9368

dialague in wrong order of cutscene in charr warrior story when taliking to girl charr about brining father back alive or dead…..

Charr +warrior, hammerzorz.
NRHRN SHVR PKS
“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!”

Posted by: Bethryn.4087

Bethryn.4087

Most people will eventually give in and do the story they didn’t ask for, begrudgingly.

Nope, the rewards from completing the PS are too bad for me to bother if it’s not my story.

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

So, am I correctly reading this thread when it says these bugs were fixed with the 10/22 patch? Does that include being reassigned to a different faction? (i.e., From Priory to Vigil, etc.) Because, if so, then I’m afraid you are very much mistaken, as this happened to me not 10 minutes ago.

My wife and I play our main characters together. She went Order of Whispers, I went Vigil. We completed “Lost Chieftain’s Return” together, and after the quest was concluded I noticed that I was given the quest “Suspicious Activity” and told to return to the Chantry of Secrets.

So, the nontrivial amount of time I spent on this character, and the much touted Personal Story (it’s all about me—except when it’s not) is ruined, and no fix or correction is forthcoming?

Just want to make sure that I have the facts straight.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

Posted by: Yuun.7842

Yuun.7842

No resolution offered at all for those affected by the order changing issue? That is an unacceptably awful response to this problem.

Why can the following resolution (or similar) not be applied to characters suffering from this issue?

“Resolution: Affected players were reset back to the personal story step they were on before the skipped content.”

The affected characters would only need to be reset to an appropriate quest before the order choice takes place, or failing that just to the beginning of the personal story. While not great by any means, I’m sure that for many that would be a much more appealing option than “tough luck, I guess you’re stuck with a screwed character!”

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

After completing Forging the Pact and choosing the “fear of causing an innocent’s death” option -I was given the wrong follow up quest. Instead of being given the quest with Tonn, I was directed to a quest with Apatia. Apatia is supposed to be associated with the “fear of causing someone suffering.” I did not realize anything was wrong until the Fort Trinity mission where Trahearne starting talking about Tonn and I had no idea who he was talking about.

Posted by: hopey.8931

hopey.8931

My story skipped after the 10/22 patch.

Character: Daria Hopecrusher, human
Quest: went from Liberation to The Order of Tyria, which is my hubby’s story. Completely different stories and now I’m on his story line.

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

ANet, you need to add a quest to allow people to change their Order (and that will allow them to do the Tribal Races quests for that Order if they haven’t already done Claw Island).

You cannot tout the ‘personal quests’ and encourage people to care about the choices they make, and then shug and say ‘too bad, we can’t help you’ when a bug erases the choices.

Honestly I can’t believe there isn’t data visible on your end that allows you to alter alignment in case of situation like this, but since that’s a moot issue, adding the option to change Orders (and giving people with this bug free access to it) should be a no-brainer on your part. This is a serious issue for a game that brags about ‘personalized story experience’, and you cannot just ignore it and tell folks to deal with it.

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

Posted by: teaandbickies.1957

teaandbickies.1957

As a general warning, the level 26 Orders quest for Sylvari Characters (The Bad Apple/Trouble at the Roots) causes changes in their storylines. Regardless of which choice you choose in the level 24 quests Secrets in the Earth/The Blossom of Youth, if you are in a party with two or more people and you both accept the same choice, one of the players will receive the choice that was not chosen by the party leader.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Re: the sylvari quests, is this recent or something you saw a while ago? This should have been caught in the Octover round of fixes.

Posted by: Merenbrand.8140

Merenbrand.8140

So I’ve done the “Lost Chieftain’s Return” in a group and am now stuck with
the wrong order, Is it possible to bump my character back a quest, or what
kind of solution are you planning for this?

My character is as follows:
Name: Murshong
Profession: Warrior
Level: 51
Realm: Piken Square

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

I submitted a Support ticket through the GW2 website and, until this morning, was waiting in the hopes that they would be able to help. After reading the stock non-reply to my ticket, I’ve accepted that no help or fix will be forthcoming. That my level 49 warrior is ruined, and that I’ll either have to delete and reroll him or simply move on.

Since I have no interest or investment in the Order of Whispers story—in fact, I haven’t seen the story that precedes the part I am now on—that leaves me with the option of continuing a story I’m not at all familiar with, or rerolling the character from scratch.

If I choose to reroll, I lose:

• 49 levels
  • 41 common dyes, 18 uncommon dyes, 8 rare dyes
  • The soulbound book from Halloween
  • All crafting progress
  • Most importantly: All the time—the real currency of the adult gamer—that was invested in this character.

That sucks. It really does, and I think most people would agree. However, it’s not the end of the world. I would like to see a response from ANet that was less cavalier and apathetic—the current response is roughly equivalent to a shrug and a half-hearted “Sorry. Tough luck.”—but even that would just be… nice, not necessary.

Here’s where I object:

It’s been more than a month, at least, since ANet was officially made aware of this bug. A bug that they cannot or will not fix for the people already affected. Why has ANet not done their due diligence as far as making sure that this 100% preventable bug has not been better publicized? Why is the only place to find information about this bug in a vaguely titled sticky in the Game Bug subforum? That is kind of like putting the “WARNING: COMBUSTIBLE” label on the inside of the can; by the time you see it’s, it’s probably too late.

The post immediately before this one is yet another player, level 51, who has had their character ruined. That post is about 1 day old. I encountered the bug about 4 days ago, and the first post I can find in this thread about the issue is about a month old.

One month of apathy and neglect. So, you can’t fix us, and I can deal with that. Bugs happen. But would someone from ANet please be so kind as to offer an explanation as to why those of us now afflicted were not given a fair warning so that we could have avoided the issue entirely?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I would appreciate some kind of dialogue, instead of the brush off and silence we’re getting now. Are there any plans being discussed to address this?

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

Posted by: Surisha.4907

Surisha.4907

why haven’t the hatchery bug been fix yet still I lvl 74 at my ranger an is still frustrating at been at my lvl 45 personal story quest yet , you have a month and over that to fix it, hope it come at tomorrws path at 16 november

Posted by: Shamash.4257

Shamash.4257

Forget it Maullus, others have tried this before you and failed. If you care, just look at my post history.

Posted by: trickfred.4097

trickfred.4097

(Posting here because I was directed here, at least, I think I was – for reference this was my original post.)

I completed A Light in the Darkness alone several days ago, and chose the ‘suffer’ fear at the end of the mission. I am certain of this, as I am on my third level 80 character, and I chose the other two fears on the other two characters, and wanted to see the third one I had not yet chosen.

Just now I completed Forging The Pact with another player (who chose ‘innocent death’ as their fear in ALitD), and as there were no choices to make in FtP specifically, I felt safe in taking the reward. But now, my next story mission is ‘Tower Down’, though it should be ‘Striking Off the Chains’.

I noticed the initial post in this thread has not been updated in about a month – is there any update on a fix for this behaviour, or an ETA on when tools will be made for customer service that allow them to reset/alter story flags?

I will patiently wait, for months even if necessary, to get this fixed if that’s what it takes, and avoid progressing further in my story, in anticipation of a fix. Not ideal, but better than remaking a character that already has exotics and two crafting jobs well underway.

Thank you!

Posted by: Vexx.4317

Vexx.4317

My Sylvari buddy & I came across the story bug recently too. She chose the Priory, I clicked ‘progress story’ & ended up in the Vigil. Put in a ticket, thinking that this was just a minor bug, easily remedied-

“Sadly we are not able to reverse choices made by a character, even when those choices were made in error. "

That response got right up my nose. -I- didn’t make an error, thank you. And that’s it, too. End of communication; No fix, no suggestions, no offer of compensation, no sympathy. Sucks to be me, right?

I’m going to wait, too. Maybe one day they’ll fix this and I won’t need to reroll.

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

When is “recently”? Which story step was it?

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Jeffrey maybe it’s time for a database of our characters and which step we are on, which ones were skipped and have a “metric” from which to “fix” important issues…

There are more and more issues found that were supposedly fixed and some that weren’t implemented when it was made plain that they would be.

We know it’s a new game but a database would help soooo much with tracking these incidents instead of asking the user who might have quit in literal pain after “wasting” time on a game that started out so easily loved.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Vexx.4317

Vexx.4317

When is “recently”? Which story step was it?

I think maybe a month ago. Took me a while to work out what had happened! I’m not 100% sure of the name, but “Trouble at the roots” or “The roots of the trouble”, something like that. If it’s relevant, our two Sylvari have had problems since headstart, being unable to join each other in overflows, then unable to join each other’s instances, etc. etc. Generally doomed, I think!

Posted by: the devils eye.9258

the devils eye.9258

Location of the issue (trough the looking glass, personal story level 73)
Server on which the issue occurred (not sure wich on im gaming on)
Event name (trough the looking glass, second objective)
Steps we can take to reproduce the issue (take me in to the event, bugs seems local to me)
Names of any key NPCs trahaerne

so what happend:

i did story solo till the level 73story since a guildy was doing it the same time as me so we went in whit trough the looking glass hit two we wonderd what to do in there since it keep saying whit for the signal attack, so we went on to kill evrything in the map and we could complete all the obectives, but somehow the eye of zaithan would’nt spawn, so we restarted the event same thing happend and than strangly we decided to try solo maybe it was bugged becausse of entering whit two people.

so i went out and after i went out the eye of zaithan came directly to the guildy making him able to finish the event.

But when i go in i see the first movie than the second but in the second movie you should normally see already the eye of zaithan but i dont even see it there and whatever i do there is no way the eye pops up we even tried it the other way around guildy joining in party and do the events than he would leave in the hope the eye would come but nope, whenever i go in the eye wont pop up…. strange since anyone else i know the moment i go out the eye pops up….

i tryd repairing my data archive, reinstalling the game, nothing works…

so i would like to ask if you could oin me to see the bug or reset my story to one before (only if that does’nt changes anything to the progress i made after this bug)

i repported this bug whit screenshot ingame i think a week and a half ago and went today again after last day update but still bugged

my ingame name: the devils eye

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

You are not alone. At the moment “Through the Looking Glass” does not progress past the point you describe. I used to complete that mission flawlessly with other characters, but now one of my characters is stuck at that very same step.

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

That’s a known bug, that will be fixed when the Wintersday content update is rolled out shortly.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

It is not still listed in the initial post, but “Forging the Pact” can and will still alter your personal story if you do it with a party member who chose a different fear.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: JoeS.9423

JoeS.9423

My wife and I just hit this bug yesterday (in particular, the bug where my wife had her order changed when finishing the Ogre series of quests), and find the lack of communication with regards to this terrible. Anything that could permanently affect the personal story of the characters like this should have been sent to players in a wide fashion, not just hidden in a post that will only be seen after someone hits the bug.

With regards to the comments about not being able fix this bug, I want to know if this is across all instances of the bug or specific ones. I can understand that one of the other instances o the bug couldn’t be fixed for players (being the bug where the initial choice is made by the primary player and other players get forced into the Vigil).
However, you’ve indicated that you have a list of completed quests and the ability to reset the character to an earlier quest in their personal story.
It should be easy to iterate the quests that have been completed on a character and see that early quests were completed that were only available to one order, and current or later quests are in there that are available to a different order. Then, you should be able to just reset the character to the last “valid” quest for the original order.

That being said, it appears that there is no intention of applying this obvious fix, and there is no intent to fix the underlying bug. As such, my wife has a ruined character and we have to deal with telling people to avoid some parts of the game just in case.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

In the initial post you state that if we’ve already run into one of these issues, our story path cannot be changed. As there is has been a lot of focus on the personal story (in fact the personal story subforum is subtitled ‘It really is all about you’), we had our choices forcibly changed by this bug, and the bug is not advertised (as in you need to outright look for it in the forums; it is not listed on the wiki) it would be a shame were we completely unable to actually do the correct story.

I am not asking for an immediate fix, but simply inquiring is there any future intention to be able to reset quest steps for those affected by this bug?

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: president.6048

president.6048

1. Character name?
President Nok
2. Race, lvl, server and Profession?
Asura, 30, Seafers’ Rest, Elementalist (Jeweler+Chef)
3. Quest which caused the skipping?
Lines of Communication order..i've chosen orders of whisper
4. Does the party member who started the quest have the issue as well?
I was solo
6. What quest and quest level did you get skipped to?
Didn't get skipped but stuck in quest, problem with peacemakersDidn't get skipped but when I was doing the quest i gas one peacemaker officer and killed the other. Now i can't proceed with the quest, because it says i have to gas the second peacemaker officer

Posted by: Azrian.1423

Azrian.1423

1. Character name?
Azrian Karrallex
2. Race, lvl, server and Profession?
Norn, 44, Piken Square, Engineer
3. Quest which caused the skipping?
The Lost Chieftain’s Return (from Priory skipped to Vigil)
4. Does the party member who started the quest have the issue as well?
I was in party with friend from Vigil. After this quest we have Forwarned is Forearmed (i was skipped from Priory to Vigil)

Posted by: Agnosticism.4183

Agnosticism.4183

FALSE ALARM. But I thought I’d leave this here for anyone with a similar issue.

Character Name: Aleera Quinze (14) (Gaurdian, Sylvari)
Server: Gate of Madness
Story Quest: Beneath the Waves (14)
Issue: A bug will not allow me to finish the story quest.
Explanation (Includes spoilers): I fought off a wave of Krait, fought the Krait necessary to find the captives, found the captives, fought the Krait with the key, and unlocked the cage of one prisoner: Ehuatl. It gave me the option of unlocking his cage using the F key, so I did, though the option isn’t given for the other two prisoners: Larra and Tegwen. I can’t free them, so I can’t complete the story quest.

Also, the second time that I tried the story quest again right afterwards (still level 14), I had to do everything over again, but when I got to the point where I had to unlock their cages, Ehuatl’s was already unlocked, and the other two cages still couldn’t be unlocked.

The third time I attempted it the next day, I was able to free Ehuatl again, and by clicking on the other two cages and pressing F, I could free everyone else, too. It was misleading, though, being able to free one of them without clicking on the cage and not being able to free the others the same way.

(edited by Agnosticism.4183)

Posted by: theblackerbanana.5130

theblackerbanana.5130

I have a strange error with my personal story when I go to look over it, once I get to Estate of Decay while scrolling down the entire page goes blank. So technically i have no overview of what’s happening there. I’ve passed the story so have no quest directions but while it’s a small issue it’s annoying as hell, and I have no idea if it messes up anything.

Posted by: Comandante Pepe.1605

Comandante Pepe.1605

Forging the Pact/A Light in the Darkness is still bugged.

I completed a Light in the Darkness this afternoon with my girlfriend. We both choose the same fear (it was her story instance and I accepted the reward and advanced my progress to Under Seige).

A few minutes ago we completed Forging the Pact (this time it was my instance). After it ended, my story progressed incorrectly to Striking off the Chains and her’s correctly progressed to Tower Down.

This has been bugged since launch. My girlfriend and I have now completed the personal story together on three sets of characters. We chose the same fear every time. The first time we chose the fear that should have lead to Shell Shock. Somehow, after completing Forging the Pact neither of us ended up with the correct story path. She progressed to Tower Down while I progressed to Striking off the Chains. The second time we both chose the fear for Shell Shock again, but that time we correctly progressed.

The more I play this game the more upset I get. I wish more focus were placed on fixing the current content then pushing out new content.

Posted by: MishMush.9823

MishMush.9823

Oh come ON!

Second character affected by a form of this bug. Months apart. REALLY?

We were in Forging the Pact, progressing together. However, I’m now Striking off the Chains and my spouse is suddenly on Tower Down? This is so STUPID. If you KNOW these bugs exists, why don’t you disable the ability to party together when you start the story lines to protect your users from this?! Can you fix this for us?! I’m going to guess no, but just in case. We’d like the one Striking off the Chains for BOTH of us as we intended.

MishMush.9823
Jaden.8127

Posted by: Jaden.8127

Jaden.8127

Just corroborating the above post and putting in my 2 cents. Story changed to one I was not on which is different from the story my partner is on now even though we have run the entire thing together. I’m on Tower down, they are on Striking off the Chains. Issues like these really make me not want to play your game. And the excuse of not being able to fix it for people doesn’t hold water, it should be very simple that fix a characters story line. I’m very disappointed that such a great game is bogged down by this kind of issue still. Probably won’t play for a while now… sigh.

Posted by: trickfred.4097

trickfred.4097

Hi, it’s been three months now since Forging The Pact bugged my Ranger’s story.

I see that the opening post on page 1 has not yet been updated with information on this bug, so I thought I would ask – will there soon be a remedy for those of us that had our story paths changed through no fault of our own?

Technical question: Would the ‘fear’ choice I originally made in A Light in the Darkness still be saved in my character data, showing that I am indeed now being presented with the wrong story step based on that data? If that is the case, would it be possible to error correct the level 64 story step based on that saved data?

In anticipation of a surely necessary fix, I have not progressed my Ranger’s story; it still remains where the game mistakenly left it.

Posted by: SirLoinCloth.1926

SirLoinCloth.1926

As of today, Mar. 10 2013, the issue is still not fixed. I was in Vigil, my wife in Whispers. When we completed “The Lost Chieftain’s Return” this very afternoon, I was placed in the Whispers storyline. Is this unfixable? The more forum’s I read, the more I feel like I get to look forward to storylines being thrown off course by bugs. My wife and I work full time and actually spend months just getting to mid levels and paying attention to story lines, so having our choices in-game be trashed is a little discouraging. Please please please fix this!!

World: Crystal Desert
Character: Sir Loincloth, male Norn warrior who is definitely Vigil….deep in his veins.

Of course I chose Vigil from the get go…. no question about that. Just erase my progress up to “The Lost Chieftains Return” like it was the bad dream Loiny thinks it is.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

In order to make it easier to identify new issues, a new thread for these bugs has been started here that also includes updates on the Forging the Pact quest.

Thank you for reporting these issues; this thread will now be closed.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed