Tele to friend consumed even if you cant tele

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Meld.1629

Meld.1629

I was trying to access a Dragon’s Stand map with a character that hasn’t got the waypoints yet to join a guild member, as little time was left and my gear was all on that character.

First a monster spawned on top of me, out of sight, preventing me from teleporting. Next the map was full. Quite a few were used up, and this shouldn’t have ever been possible.
When your inventory is too full to open a bag or map/daily reward it doesn’t destroy the items when you click it. When you activate a self style hair/total makeover kit and don’t end up changing your appearance with it, they’re not destroyed. When you fail to salvage with a Black Lion Salvage Kit a charge isn’t used.

So why are these teleports getting used up when they physically cannot be used?
I only used more than one because I was operating under the assumption that it would not be used if it could not actually be used, like with all other black lion items.

I want the Teleport to Friends refunded, they were destroyed for nothing and there is no warning of any kind. It doesn’t fit in with how any other similar items work. They’re a very limited resource I got from black lion chests. That they’d be wasted because of a bug like this is completely unreasonable.

If I don’t get at refunded I would at least like them to add how it ACTUALLY works to the tooltip, or 1) block use during combat 2) stop them being consumed if the targeted map is full. So at least nobody else misses out. I can’t be the only one.

I’m actually afraid to use my remaining two in case they disappear for nothing like the others.

(edited by Meld.1629)

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

Next

Generally for refunds it’s best to submit a ticket, but I went ahead and took care of this for you. Your replacement teleports should be in your mailbox.

Regarding the bug itself, I’ve reached out to some devs to figure out what the status on it is. Everyone’s gone home for the evening at this point, but I’ll update this thread when I have more info.

In the meantime, if anyone else has had this happen, please do contact us and we’ll hook you up with replacements.

Posted by: mosselyn.5081

mosselyn.5081

AFAIK, the consumed-on-map-full always happens. I thought it was intentional (if super-annoying). I’ve heard guildmates grumbling about it ever since HoT came out and they started to be used more frequently, but it is not new behavior. For example:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Teleport-to-a-friend-BL-Consumable-question

It would be nice to hear it’s a (fixable) bug.

[OTG] The Old Timers Guild of Yaks Bend
www.oldtimersguild.com

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There have been a number of forum posts and forum threads about this since the item came out. It’s been consuming the ’ports upon teleportation failure since it was first introduced, for a large number of people and its been noted in wiki that it does this.

Will ANet be refunding all of the people who contact support, or will there be some sort of time limit?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport_to_Friend
Bug : If the player tries to teleport to a full map, the player will be unable to do so but the item will still be used, effectively wasting the item.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Regarding the bug itself, I’ve reached out to some devs to figure out what the status on it is. Everyone’s gone home for the evening at this point, but I’ll update this thread when I have more info.

I am eagerly awaiting the info, considering several people have reported this both in-game and on this forum for nearly a year with no repsonse.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bug-Teleport-to-Friend

Previous

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

Next

So, turns out the reason this hasn’t been addressed yet is that there are some serious technical limitations. All off the potential solutions we’ve found so far would be exploitable, so we haven’t been able to implement them. The conversation is ongoing, though, so I’ll keep you posted on what ends up happening (even if it’s just a text change to let people know the item might fail).

Will ANet be refunding all of the people who contact support, or will there be some sort of time limit?

There’s no hard and fast time limit, but we need to be able to verify the loss. If you can give us the exact date and time, it doesn’t matter if it’s a day later or 6 months, we can do the refund. Of course, most people aren’t going to remember if they wait too long, so putting in a ticket as soon as it happens is the best plan.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Technical limitations? In this case then the item should never have been implemented at all until a better solution is found. If it was merely a fixable bug then makes sense having it available, but if it has “technical limitations” is should never go live. Theoretically it can even sound like cheap excuse saying it won’t be fixed because of that.

Simply solution for now: remove the item and refund anyone who has it. It’s simply a dumb move having a broken item available as it would simply generate more and more complaints. It would save support and devs’ time (and ears :P) by simply not having such broken item until those “technical limitations” are overcome.

Posted by: Firmicute.3876

Firmicute.3876

good to know.

hows that: you give us information when a map is full. If friend s are on a full map, they have a small symbol next to their pictures, (compared to the % completion of the nearest heart)

So if the map is full we get information that the map is full. Using a TP to friend would require 2 conformations, one has a second timer in which it cant be executed but you can check the mapstatus. then you can choose whether to use it(if map has room) or not.

shadow.6174

good to know.

hows that: you give us information when a map is full. If friend s are on a full map, they have a small symbol next to their pictures, (compared to the % completion of the nearest heart)

So if the map is full we get information that the map is full. Using a TP to friend would require 2 conformations, one has a second timer in which it cant be executed but you can check the mapstatus. then you can choose whether to use it(if map has room) or not.

Well, I think I know what the “technical limitation” was… Megaserver. Yes this post reminded me of a fact. See how icons and health of ppl on your party show up when they aren’t in the same map as you? Megaserver is to blame (yes, these issues weren’t there before Megaserver). It’s because with Megaserver the game won’t know what instance you will be put on until you actually enter the map, then the game can’t retrieve the info somehow (that’s weird though as the game is able to tell your party member’s location to generate that blue dot O.o).

That would be the possible explanation: the game can’t tell you if the map you are going is full until you are really teleported to it because the game doesn’t know beforehand what instance you are going to be put on.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s because with Megaserver the game won’t know what instance you will be put on until you actually enter the map, then the game can’t retrieve the info somehow (that’s weird though as the game is able to tell your party member’s location to generate that blue dot O.o).

That would be the possible explanation: the game can’t tell you if the map you are going is full until you are really teleported to it because the game doesn’t know beforehand what instance you are going to be put on.

Those are interesting ideas, except they don’t help me understand the issues.

We know that the game can identify a character’s location; move another character to that location; and match instances. We also know that the game can’t tell that a map is full until someone tries to get in — that’s always been true, since before megaservers.

What we don’t know is why the developers don’t think there are any viable solutions that aren’t exploitable. For example, moving the player to the correct location in an arbitrary instance of the map and letting the party decide which instance to move to. (That doesn’t seem any more exploitable than using the T2F in the first place.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

shadow.6174

It’s because with Megaserver the game won’t know what instance you will be put on until you actually enter the map, then the game can’t retrieve the info somehow (that’s weird though as the game is able to tell your party member’s location to generate that blue dot O.o).

Those are interesting ideas, except they don’t help me understand the issues.

We know that the game can identify a character’s location; move another character to that location; and match instances. We also know that the game can’t tell that a map is full until someone tries to get in — that’s always been true, since before megaservers.

What we don’t know is why the developers don’t think there are any viable solutions that aren’t exploitable. For example, moving the player to the correct location in an arbitrary instance of the map and letting the party decide which instance to move to. (That doesn’t seem any more exploitable than using the T2F in the first place.)

I don’t understand much either, I was merely guessing what the “technical limitations” could be. I’m also curious how it could be exploitable and, as I stated before, if there is no way to change it then the item shouldn’t be available at all.

Previous

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this should be fixed in today’s patch. You still won’t be able to use these items to get into full maps, but now they won’t be destroyed when you try.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

thanks for 3 extra TP to friend from the achievements, too

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

shadow.6174

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this should be fixed in today’s patch. You still won’t be able to use these items to get into full maps, but now they won’t be destroyed when you try.

Woot. I haven’t been facing the issue but nice to hear it’s fixed. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Woot. I haven’t been facing the issue but nice to hear it’s fixed. Thanks for the update.

LOL fixed??? You can’t use them but they won’t destroyed now. I/2 full or 1/2 empty? Doesn’t really matter does it?

shadow.6174

LOL fixed??? You can’t use them but they won’t destroyed now. I/2 full or 1/2 empty? Doesn’t really matter does it?

Well, as far as I know the issue was about the item being consumed even when the teleport failed, and yes that one was fixed. But if you mean about the teleporting failing, that’s a different issue and can happen due several reasons and has nothing to do with the item itself (like map full).