The outstanding Hatchery Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: CHunterX.4083

CHunterX.4083

Why isn’t this being fixed now?
There are multiple reasons as to why we don’t immediately issues. One thing to keep in mind is that at any point during the day there are at least hundreds of thousands of people playing the game and not all of them are encountering the same issue. While we would love to fix issues as they come up, every build we run disrupts everyone’s game time.

This is by far the worst excuse I’ve ever heard for delaying a patch to fix gamebreaking bugs for any game ever . Patches and the downtime associated with them only last 5 minutes maximum each time they’ve occurred (server crashes notwithstanding). Having a daily patch at midnight PST to patch obnoxious bugs like this as soon as they are fixed instead of making players wait two weeks to continue seems like the most logical choice.

If someone can’t deal with a whole 5 minutes (and it would be shorter since the patches would be smaller) of having to log out and patch the game (which would be set to a specific time daily so players could anticipate it), then they have other issues in life they need to sort out. Having the playerbase sit on their thumbs waiting weeks for things to work correctly is absurd. You don’t have to set it to midnight PST, just pick whatever time the logins are at their lowest and use that from now on.

Small, daily patches would also help prevent the many patches that end up breaking other things. If you only change one variable with a tiny one-fix patch and something is broken, you can easily pinpoint the problem and reverse it instantly. Right now, when you stuff everything you can into weekly/bi-weekly patches and something goes wrong, its much more difficult to pinpoint which of the many changes broke other things.

Seriously, that excuse has to be a joke, or there is either something else behind the scenes causing these delays that you aren’t telling your customers. If a fix is ready, I really can’t see an excuse logical enough to delay it for weeks.

Posted by: Klanky.5314

Klanky.5314

On this story line quest The Hatchery for the whispers order. bold This is just awesome how this hasn’t been fixed yet… After spending forever restarting the quest and trying to figure out wth I am missing or doing wrong…I finally gave up. Its broken pretty clear. If this was a side quest, a heart, or just something that wasn’t so mainstream… I would understand, but this is really a big deal halting all characters in their story line because of this… Get it fixed. If its fixed great.. Get it live, because I don’t play on your internal servers doesn’t do me any good.

Posted by: Leal.4973

Leal.4973

It takes all of what, 5 minutes to download the new build? Oh man, the horror. Must be terrible for everyone who isn’t on this, its almost as bad as not being able to advance in the main story at all for weeks while being told “yeah we have a fix, but you aren’t getting it yet”

Do something else? I’ve tried. I’m tired of WvW cause I can never stand on the walls without being AoE’d to death, I don’t want to jump on spvp cause I’d rather not be one shotted by thieves, I really don’t want to build up any alts, doing their story just makes me think “Man, it’d be REALLY GREAT if I could continue on my main’s story!”

So in short I guess I’ll just not play till the 15th. Well no, first I’ll check this thread on the 15th and see if its fixed, and depending on whether or not it is fixed is whether or not I play again.

Posted by: Jim Riven.3241

Jim Riven.3241

Just hit lvl 400 in crafting (jewellery) and lvl 80 for my toon, have obtained 2 sets of exotic weapons and a nice shiny set of exotic armour as well, one thing is for sure, those pesky crabs wont be causing me any issues when this fix is eventually released.
Beyond a joke now, its been so long I have forgotten what the story was, something about a rat… thing… yeah, oh well.

Could we get official clarification on one issue? we know that there is a major update due on the 15th, is it likely that the fix will be implemented with that update or will more testing be needed?

Posted by: Kryle.9687

Kryle.9687

We periodically revisit this instance in hope of the fix………I can’t believe how many people are still waiting around for this. I hope the Mad King was not a higher priority than the main story.

So much has been done right, get this fixed.

Posted by: Falqyn.2431

Falqyn.2431

My main story line is currently on a standstill waiting for this bug to be fixed. A little frustrated … redoing the quest a ton of times to find out that there was a problem. Hopefully fixing a bug in the main story line takes priority over other side story bugs (holiday events). You can’t progress in the main story without this being fixed.

Please fix!

Posted by: Ryan.2356

Ryan.2356

New patch! Somebody check it?

Posted by: Raigne.9846

Raigne.9846

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-5-2012/first#post648164

Are you kidding me? Can’t patch problems as they occur, but you can fix something like a dye drop rate four days after the fact?

Before I was mildly irritated. Now I’m angry. Do something else? The character stuck on this quest is level 80. The toon I decided to work on while I waited is now level 60. It will also be level 80 by the time this update happens, I bet.

(edited by Raigne.9846)

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

that’s it?! are you kidding me?! that’s the patch for the fifth?! You just worked on the dye drop rate?!

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Leal.4973

Leal.4973

Yeah… good priorities. We wont shut down the game to fix this bug cause it’ll interrupt other players. Whats that dyes are dropping like crazy?! Interrupt other players and fix this asap! We can’t let our economy get even worse!

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

hmm, fix drop rates within days but cant fix storyline after a month … guess storyline doesn’t effect the bottom line as much as dyes do.

Posted by: Sam.3196

Sam.3196

yay, you can hotfix dye drops, but not my story quest :[

Masta Splinta [TS] – SoS

(edited by Sam.3196)

Posted by: aekt.9438

aekt.9438

1. I have no interest in sPvP
2. I have all crafting at 400
3. I have multiple characters at lvl 80 and 1 character per race
4. I have progressed on other stories
5. I’ve been stuck on this issue for a while and now frankly, “trying other features in the game” is getting old.

I don’t see the point of breaking this quest in the first place, considered only people purposely trying to break the quest could’ve break it before the “fix”.

So no ETA and now hundreds if not thousands players are stuck on this cuz of the silly time required to test this quest 1 million times before releasing the fix. How many tests do you need to run on a script based event that’s instance based? Memory Leak? Introducing too many geometry causing GPU crashing? The completion not recorded properly? is there really that many problems that needed to be looked after when this thing isn’t even an openworld event? The quest itself is practically in a controlled environment when only selected individuals and his partymate can participate at once. I generally can’t accept the fact it takes more than a month to fix this when the quest was fine to begin with. And after so many patches, the fix is still up in the air. And you guys decided to restart everyone’s game and dungeon progress to fix dye droprate….wow, just wow

Ryan.2356

Between the Locked thread and this thread, this topic now has over 400 replies and 11,000 views.

With hundreds of unique posters.

Your community is telling you that this IS your biggest and highest priority defect.

Somebody needs to run this up the chain and get it prioritized.

Ryan

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Um, what?

Dyes dropping a little too frequently is so important that it not only demands a hot-fix but has to be done during one of the busiest play times of the day for the US?

But a serious story line bug that prevents you from actually playing the main part of the game itself has to wait till the next content update to be fixed even though the fix has already been developed?

Posted by: Olybib.2806

Olybib.2806

I am done with this. This just makes me have an uneasy feeling. It’s been bugged for the past two weeks for me. I just want to do my story. It’s one thing that I really enjoy about leveling. And all these patches come out and not one fix. I mean I know someone is hard at work (atleast I hope they are) at this. But still can’t there just be a temporary solution for the group of us that have been stuck at it. Honestly I would be more than happy if you just let me do the other path instead. I just want to progress.

Posted by: shipwreck.3062

shipwreck.3062

i was mad, but then i saw what today’s long-awaited patch (for this thread anyhow) DID “fix” and i was a little past that.
love this game, but i’ve lost a lot of faith in its developers after this.

Posted by: alexandragurl.7240

alexandragurl.7240

Just checked after the november 5th update and still not fixed.
I’m just about to hit lvl 80 (Im at lvl 77) and my main storyline (which is my favourite part) is stillat 45…

I know that you can do PvP or focus on other chars during this time, but a month is too long for this to go on- and I feel as if they haven,t considered people that don’t like PvP and WvW- I never do it. So now I’m stuck and frustrated…. only plus side is world completion is coming along… but that gets tiring….

Posted by: Loptimist.1832

Loptimist.1832

Nov 6th, still bugged, didn’t they say it will be patched on Nov 5th……

Ryan.2356

Nov 6th, still bugged, didn’t they say it will be patched on Nov 5th……

Yes, but later edited that post.

Posted by: horus.7628

horus.7628

Loptimist.1832 guessing your an aussie like me. it is the 5th of nov for them i belive aus is a day ahead of them :P but ya anet is realy screwing the pooch on this patch they need to pull out the thumb and get to work on important stuff not stupid dye this game has no economy so i don know what the big deal about dye drop rate is. fix the god kitten personal story allready!! im sick of it

Ryan.2356

Nov 6 in the US est now too.

That was the Nov 5 content patch. Reducing the drop rate of dyes ..

The game breaking main storyline bug fix got bumped.

Posted by: Frost.6748

Frost.6748

/sigh It’s still broken, even after today’s patch.

There’s nothing new to say that hasn’t already been said. Here’s a re-hash in case anyone has just made it to this quest and wants to know what’s up:

It’s been broken for a month and yes it’s frustrating.

People have suggested Anet make it so that this quest line can’t be chosen. This is a good idea, but it may be counter productive since it would require even more time to write the code to do that when they have a fix for the actual problem already in testing.

The only thing I can suggest that I haven’t seen thus far is that they roll all of us back that are on this quest to the quest before it so we can pick the alternate quest line that DOES work. Probably won’t happen though since this would require more time re-coding when they want to just fix the actual problem.

I think we’re all probably screwed until this is actually fixed. Don’t expect a work-around.

Frost
FoW, Yak’s Bend

Posted by: ldierk.7408

ldierk.7408

I’m also extremly frustrated. I started the quest just two days ago and can’t believe I haven’t been warned in any way. An offical annoucement that the main story line is bugged would haven been appropriate. Are we expected to check the bug forum before starting a quest?

Posted by: Dyzma.2346

Dyzma.2346

At Poland is 9:24 am November 6. I run in to a little update this morning (about 8 files or something). After update it I check storyline quest, and its still broken. ArenaNet I know you people got a lot of work to do around this game and upcoming event, but you sayed that The Hatchery quest will be fixed till november 5. Is taht so hard to put a couple of files in update pack?

Posted by: Mirar.3465

Mirar.3465

Quote: While we would love to fix issues as they come up, every build we run disrupts everyone’s game time.

Ahaha. You’ve had multiple restarts since this bug was discovered a month ago, so that is, I’m sorry to say, not a valid point.

Also this bug should affect about 10% of the players doing the storyline – there’s 5 branches (skritt, ogres, quaggans, hylek, grawl), and this is one of two parallel quests (rescue or fetch).

So a bug affecting 10% of players isn’t big enough to hotfix for a little inconvenience for the other 90%. Ah well.

I’ll just leave GW2 uninstalled then.

Posted by: SleepyGoon.8145

SleepyGoon.8145

Quoted from Jason King’s response:

“Why isn’t this being fixed now?
There are multiple reasons as to why we don’t immediately issues. One thing to keep in mind is that at any point during the day there are at least hundreds of thousands of people playing the game and not all of them are encountering the same issue. While we would love to fix issues as they come up, every build we run disrupts everyone’s game time. If you participated in any of our pre-launch stress tests where we constantly patched the game, you’ll remember how difficult it was to do things like complete dungeons, etc.

Whenever we patch the game, we also want to do our best to ensure that the content is stable; even small changes have the potential to affect other game systems and potentially cause larger issues, such as crashes, disconnects, and/or more broken content. By testing new content and changes for longer periods of time, we have more chances to find issues that could disrupt gameplay and cause these larger issues."

I understand the need to be cautious about introducing fixes to the game and so far have accepted the fact that we need to wait until another content update for the hatchery bug to be fixed. But after the fix on dye drop rate on 5th November it makes me believe that the devs are contradicting themselves. Is the drop rate for dye causing such a impact in game play experience to the point that it warrants a fix with priority before the hatchery quest bug and some other game bugs?
And then there was the stir up of inconveniences after the drop rate patch was applied:

[url]https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Guild-gone-party-chat-not-working/first#post649039[url]

And with regard to the quote above I wonder where do the devs stand on their opinions?

Posted by: Enigma.7895

Enigma.7895

For the love of god, please.just.FIX.it. It’s already been more than a MONTH.

Posted by: Foghunter.1652

Foghunter.1652

What more can be said. It is rather rediculous as it is. I am level 80 for days but still hanging at a lvl 45 stage of the quest and no option to go back one step (like support in other MMO’s usually can do). I can only suggest to put in a formal bug report. Perhaps this will help the cause more. Raging in the forum, for the right reason as it is, apparently does not speed up this annoying situation as we are forced to wait yet (at least) another 9 days for this (while our toon needs to kneel down on the various altars to hope and pray).

Posted by: Thorgald.2485

Thorgald.2485

I can only suggest to put in a formal bug report. Perhaps this will help the cause more.

No need, the bug is fixed already, they just refuse to patch it.

Posted by: Tiger Wildmode.2879

Tiger Wildmode.2879

just started this guest last night, got stuck and found this thread, how unlucky. Guess the number of stuck players is increasing daily …

Posted by: Mightwolf.1968

Mightwolf.1968

I usually never register/login to a forum to reply, but for this thread I just wanted to add my personal “individuality” (^^) to this issue.

Maybe when they’ll see that almost all of the accounts are stucked there they’ll get “concerned” enough to get a bug fixed…

I didn’t read all of the previous thread that has been locked but as a developer and working for huge software projects, I know that it is a major lack in issue management from Anet, cause the first thing we usually do, as developers, when we see such a big issue in the main functionality of our software is to “hot-fix” it, meaning here that we block the functionality to avoid any usage and any further block for the user.
(Wow, that was a huge sentence, sorry^^)

This was my first character since I played GW, cause I went to Ausatrlia for a while, without being able to play GW2.
I was soooo excited to finally play cause all my mates were playing since a while and were teasing me with spoilers on the game…

I’m now pretty much frustrated that, with my main character, now 50 in less than a week of game (got the game last Tuesday), I cannot go further in the story that I was playing for (being more a rpg player, I really love the stories…).

Well, I’ll not write a novel, just wanted to share my disappointment among others and represent also the french and swiss community in this debate (which is more a long following of complaints, but whatever^^).

Keep it up guys, maybe with 10000 replies and 1000000 views they’ll consider that an issue overlapping on youtube’s best video’s view is a bit too much for a game issue…
(sorry if the last part is not really understandable^^)

Posted by: Ralja.6475

Ralja.6475

Offcourse they fixed the dye drop rate asap: a lot of ppl (me included) got the chance to drop very rare dyes that value a couple of golds on the market; that mean the risk of imbalance the economy (really, bots does not..) and trash the entire gem/gold system Anet build up.

When it comes to REAL money, it’s always a priority…

Posted by: Smiter.3861

Smiter.3861

Hmmm… I seem to be locked out of this thread now. Guess I suggested an option that was not popular.

Please fix.. and please tell new people not to choose this choice! Really sad that folks are still choosing this.

Posted by: Arkvan.3561

Arkvan.3561

Ah well, from what I’ve seen so far complaining on the forums has about as much use as getting angry. All we can do is wait. Best we can do is just hope it’ll be fixed the 15th.

All I can do is just speak up once more and kindly as the moderators reading these threads to pass on the word to whoever’s in charge of bug fixes, and let ‘em know we’re still stuck here.

No one hears you.

Posted by: gabrywhynot.2608

gabrywhynot.2608

I also chose this storyline and I am stuck … honestly when I see the closing of the other place rigurdate this bug was hoping that they had taken steps … but to our misfortune we still give priority

it is really frustrating

Posted by: Raigne.9846

Raigne.9846

The only thing I can suggest that I haven’t seen thus far is that they roll all of us back that are on this quest to the quest before it so we can pick the alternate quest line that DOES work. Probably won’t happen though since this would require more time re-coding when they want to just fix the actual problem.

Rolling us back to the previous quest would also roll us back to our previous character progress. Multiple people have posted to say that the stuck toon is now level 70+, and I am one of them. This bug is angering me just as much as anyone else, but when all I have to show for it is level progress, I am willing to wait instead of losing it.

I wish I just didn’t have to wait this long.

Posted by: Matite.9543

Matite.9543

Everyone above has said it all.

Fix this bug please… get the patch out now. A daily restart at a set time would be fine.

Oh and thanks for locking the other thread. All that did was annoy us more. The bug was not fixed and there was no resolution to the matter.

Posted by: Eastling.5627

Eastling.5627

This is quite frankly unacceptable.

Posted by: Atlan.9036

Atlan.9036

In the german forum a similar thread exists with 140 replies. ArenaNet not even bothered to answer.

Posted by: Ryuku.7362

Ryuku.7362

Still no progress with this major bug maybe next year we will have a solution.

Posted by: Myhem.9120

Myhem.9120

Okay they say try something different. So I go out into WvWvW as a level 56 and 400 tailor. (hhhmmm crafting to 400 done that’s my fourth with no money, WvWvW been doing that). Get kicked out our server’s borderlands just when we are about to take it completely over for A DYE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been stuck on this quest before the Halloween stuff came and left and no fix. Leveling alts sure no biggie I only have one 80 but the toon I like and want to play in both WvWvW and PvE is stuck on a level 45 storyline quest. I’m being patient but to get booted for just lowering dye drop rate at one of the high peak times for WvWvW is bad wouldn’t mind it if it was to fix content, but really DYE DROP RATE!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tronik.9065

tronik.9065

Seriously… I just tried it after this latest patch (november 6th) – In the other thread they said this might be fixed november 5th. Honestly, I have no clue where to go with my character. What am I supposed to do? As if the storyline direction wasn’t bad enough already, I’m now level 80 and I’m stuck on a level 45 story quest. I’ve never left a level 35-45 zone, though. I’ve just been leveling with friends in lowbie areas…doing events w/them.

This is ridiculous, because I know this isn’t how its supposed to be.

Posted by: Souf.2893

Souf.2893

Didn’t they say that they would fix it on the 5th? I’ve been waiting on this fix. How can a game breaking bug for a ton of people’s characters not be fixed for a month..

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

“We don’t want to disrupt players by deploying an emergency fix.”
#in the middle of a dungeon# – your game will be restarted in 2 minutes
#looks at patch notes# – fixed dye drop rate

kitten
I quit.

Posted by: Word Eater.6541

Word Eater.6541

I’ve been a victim of this bug for 3 weeks with my thief character. That character is up to level 57, I’ve also leveled an engineer up to 20 and a guardian up to 23.

ANet’s problem was letting us know that there was a fix that just needed to be tested. It seemed like a good idea at the time; we knew they were ahead of the curve and had something that should resolve the issue.
What we didn’t know was that Halloween updates took priority and so did apparently a dye drop rate fix (really?).
If they hadn’t told us that the patch was already completed, we’d be mad for completely different reasons but we’d see ANet in slightly better light.

Edit: I did actually submit a bug report after my 2nd attempt.

(edited by Word Eater.6541)

Posted by: StygSec.7163

StygSec.7163

I’ve been watching -every- version of this thread. What does ‘kitten’ mean in the context of the thread? I’m curious because I don’t think people mean it’s the ugly furry useless small versions of furballs people keep as pets.

Edit: Forum is bugged forthis thread. I keep getting sent to page 4 when I click on it.

Posted by: Bithnar.9806

Bithnar.9806

Add me to the list of bugged characters. My necro is stuck here as well.

Posted by: Bithnar.9806

Bithnar.9806

How about a Skrit mini pet for those of us who have been bugged by this?

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

What does ‘kitten’ mean in the context of the thread?

The forum automatically changes profanity to ‘kitten’.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com