The game switched my order.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Isscha.7639

Isscha.7639

Q:

I’m both confused and extremely irritated. I’ve been doing Order of Whispers story quests and then at the end of the grawl section, I’m told to report to the Priory.

I now have access to BOTH OoW and DP vendors.

This needs fixed before I can progress or gets me banned for stupid, out-of-my-control reasons.

Attachments:

(edited by Isscha.7639)

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Did you play any of the steps with another player? If you play co-op and choose to accept story progress at the end of the story step, it will put you on the same storyline as the other player, even if it doesn’t match your own.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

never thought about that. i DO LOVE the sound of my chars having access to ALL ‘order vendors’ though

Isscha.7639

I ran one of the earlier OoW quests with a friend who was helping me progress. But she had already finished all of her story at that time. And when I did the grawl story quests, I ran them all solo. I had Tybalt for the first, and then the Priory chick for the second.

I just want to make sure I’m not going to get crap from Anet or banned or what not. Is having access to both vendors going to do that?

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

Wow, I’ve never heard of this happening before. I’ve done missions with other guildies in different orders and never got them mixed up like that. That sounds cool to get the vendors and I hope they don’t falsely penalize you for a bug.

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

That’s really weird, I have done story with a friend, I did their and they did mine and it never go mixed up.

If you play co-op and choose to accept story progress at the end of the story step, it will put you on the same storyline as the other player, even if it doesn’t match your own.

Sounds like a bug to me and, honestly, I don’t see any reason for this behavior. It doesn’t make sense to be put in the same story line as someone else. It just make things confused and odd. If the objective is to inform you about the progression of the people you helped, it’s already done by the HUD when you enter someone’s else instance. No use to have theirs mixed with yours.

Posted by: Tromador.8614

Tromador.8614

You’re not obliged to accept the progress Shadow. It’s completely optional.

Isscha.7639

The only time I’ve gotten the “accept story progress” option is when you are both running the exact same story and you NEED the same story to continue.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The only time I’ve gotten the “accept story progress” option is when you are both running the exact same story and you NEED the same story to continue.

Yes, but there are several cross order story’s.
From the level 42-47 storyline you get to choose between several races, wich one doesnt depend on your order but on your race.. So if a vigil and a whisperer human choose the skritt, they both go to Rat-Tastrophe. Eventhough dialogue and order npc with you differ, it is the same thing. If the vigil player start it and the whisperer player joins in, if he/she decides to accept the reward, it means he/she will change order to vigil.

Jeffrey,
This issue comes up often. I don’t believe it is a bug, but the message, specially before ‘Building the pact’ could be more clear for the story’s where this is an issue.
Maybe something for the todo list??

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

shadow.6174

You’re not obliged to accept the progress Shadow. It’s completely optional.

Hmm I see that. Anyhow, I don’t see any use for that and just make things more confused and lead people to error. The player should be warned about that when that option comes up (which, IMO, such option shouldn’t exist. Why would people want to change the order all suddenly?).

And if I’m not wrong, I did that skritt part with a friend (it was my story though) and I can’t recall them saying something about that.

Isscha.7639

Update. I continued the story as Priory, got to Claw Island, and both Tybalt AND Sieran are here.

What the actual f…

Update again: My final cutscene went from Sieran talking about sacrifice to Tybalt walking through and closing the gate. This is absurd.

Attachments:

(edited by Isscha.7639)

Posted by: Aurrynthea.7581

Aurrynthea.7581

…hey as long as it works…don’t look a gift horse in the mouth? If it’s a bug then that’s arena.net’s issue I would report this from in game as well.

I’m not lost, I know exactly where I am…I just didn’t want to be here right now.

Isscha.7639

Update: I am in both Orders. If only I could figure out how to get all three….

Attachments:

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Thanks for posting this thread, Isscha. I had this happen on a character who was a member of the Whispers, and now she’s in the Vigil as a result. But if she has access to both vendors at the end of all of it, I won’t worry about deleting her to fix it.

Did you play any of the steps with another player? If you play co-op and choose to accept story progress at the end of the story step, it will put you on the same storyline as the other player, even if it doesn’t match your own.

This is such a weird way to do it. Either it’s the same mission, aside from which NPC mentor is gallivanting around with you, or they are technically unique missions.

Why does this happen if they technically are separate? Since player race dictates which recruiting missions are available, the game enables us to group up from different orders and still receive the "Accept Progress" option. In other missions, this is not an option for party members unless they are in the party leader’s order and on the same step.

If it is the same mission, with some logic based on the party leader to dictate which NPC mentor appears, why was there not additional logic to ensure that story mission completion worked correctly for all party members instead of blindly following the party leader’s? There aren’t that many potential cases for which mission should be next, it’s a little baffling that folks are allowed to group for these and then not prevented from bouncing off their chosen path.

(edited by synk.6907)

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Can anyone give me a list of the particular mission #s that this happens in plz plz plz? Some OoW/Priory armor I have in mind would be very smexy! Cheers

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

The issue is that in the game will attempt to keep players together.

So if a given story step asks: What do you want to do next? A or B. it will apply the choice to both players so they’ll both be on the same next step.

Where the problem comes up is there are a couple of story steps where the next step is dictated by the main player’s Order. It checks to see what Order they’re in, and sets the next step based on that. If they’re with a player of a different Order, and that player chooses to accept story progress, the game will assign them both to the same next story step, even if it’s one that the second player should normally not be on.

I hope that makes sense.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

If I already completed the personal story, can I help a friend that’s doing their order’s quests to join that order as well? If not, it’s kinda sad that my main character can’t be in all 3 orders simply because I completed the story in a timely manner.

Isscha.7639

But I never accepted anything on this character. If I had, this thread wouldn’t have been posted because I’d have known the issue.

It’s not a game breaking bug, so I’m not too worried about it anymore. I was just hoping for some insight. Mainly, it’s just giving me great screenshots to share with my guild and making me laugh to see both orders’ options whenever I do an “all order” story line.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Tman: Many months back, there was a sticky [that I belatedy read] with personal story missions that would trigger this. I know the last mission in the Racial Sympathy section of the personal story are ones to do solo or to reject completion for to avoid switching Orders, but there may have been others.

I hope that makes sense.

Definitely. When I had this happen to me and had sent a support ticket in to learn more, the chance to get an idea of how the backend (e.g. how characters’ information is stored and manipulated as we play and advance; if a GM is capable of altering the character’s information, be it a data blob or fields in a table, to set her back on the Whisper’s path) works was just as interesting as figuring out what it meant for that character with respect to Order vendors at level 80 (i.e. would I be able to access Whispers vendors or only Vigil ones now).

edited out the random discussion/questions I posed, as for this thread all I am really curious about is the following: given that this happens in these missions, is it all right if we make a character and do this on purpose?

(edited by synk.6907)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Update: I am in both Orders. If only I could figure out how to get all three….

Has anybody been able to replicate this?

shadow.6174

The issue is that in the game will attempt to keep players together.

So if a given story step asks: What do you want to do next? A or B. it will apply the choice to both players so they’ll both be on the same next step.

Where the problem comes up is there are a couple of story steps where the next step is dictated by the main player’s Order. It checks to see what Order they’re in, and sets the next step based on that. If they’re with a player of a different Order, and that player chooses to accept story progress, the game will assign them both to the same next story step, even if it’s one that the second player should normally not be on.

I hope that makes sense.

I’m know I’m late on this and I’m reviving an old thread, but I can’t avoid adding a comment to that post… Sorry but even though it makes sense, it’s stupid and confusing. When a player chooses to join someone’s instance they usually mean to help with that instance, not a whole story chapter. Also the “accept progress” prompt is easily misleading and lacking info about what’s going to happen.

Just adding my thoughts on this as I saw that post only now.