The outstanding Hatchery Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Ryan.2356

Ryan.2356

Please hear me out, I have a genuine question here.

Regarding the Hatchery Bug thread with 291 replies and 9,560 views, which has been locked: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/The-hatchery-bugged/page/6

Hundreds if not thousands of players are still stuck unable to play the game as intended while we wait for a fix.

It’s important for players in this situation to have a venue to vent their frustration while we wait for a fix. If the Game Bugs forum is not the appropriate place for this, where should our thread be so we can continue to talk about this until it’s been fixed?

Thanks for listening,
Ryan.2356

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: kranium.4329

kranium.4329

No matter how many times i save em i dont get to do the next step in the storyline it agrivates me since im lvl 50 and want to proceed in the story . lf to a fast solution

Posted by: kataramenos.8960

kataramenos.8960

I have the same problem mate for 4-5 dayes now…….with this story mode quest!!!

Posted by: Principe I.1492

Principe I.1492

I have the same problem: the 1st skritt don’t follow me so i can’t termine the mission

Posted by: Meep Master.4231

Meep Master.4231

The second quest of the Skritt storyline, in ‘Harathi Hinterlands’, does not finish, and does not provide an opportunity too. After you reach the 3 quest-marked Skritt you are trying to save, no other objectives are provided, and talking to anyone also provides nothing. All I can do is leave… I would like to finish my Storyline quest, please help A.S.A.P, and I’m sure other people have been affected by this as well, as I have tried the quest 3 times, and same thing.

Posted by: Dee.6409

Dee.6409

I read in the patch notes that the hatchery story line was one of the bug fixes however I have tried to complete it several times since that patch and it is still not allowing me to complete it. I was wondering if you are still having problems with it or if it will be fixed soon as I can not progress in my story line until it is. I am lvl 60 now which is much above that story line and it is making it harder to continue to lvl without it. Thanks

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

There’s another (long) thread on this topic. As noted, I’ve found and fixed the issue, it’ll be included in a future content update. I don’t have any specifics past that, sorry.

Posted by: Alex.7914

Alex.7914

I was busy completing The Hatchery objective to go and round up the surviving Skritt and their main leader Tchchick after he realized his friend had just died. The objectives said finding all the Skritt had been completed without having another step to continue on in order to finish the mission. Attached is a picture of what was going on. Also, a bunch of Oozes would keep on spawning which I thought may or may not have been intended.

Attachments:

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

I’m also one of the many users affected by this problem. I can not progress further into my story mode. This not only affects my abilities to explore further into the story mode, but alot of others in the community are left in the dark.

Posted by: multani.1452

multani.1452

Count me as one of the many players who can’t complete their story line. I have patience mind you, however my patience is running thing as this has been nearly a month without any solution. What makes it worse is that they have the fix and yet still wish not to implement it yet.

“I got ten voices in my head and NONE of them like you.”
~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

It is frustrating. I was really enjoying seeing a different story than the one I did the first time through. All I could think is, “Gah, what am I missing?” I hope this gets fixed soon. its a 40’s level quest and my character hit 60 today. Please fix this soon Anet! We know you have other fixes, tweeks and ideas in the works, but we’d all love to see this content!

Posted by: kataramenos.8960

kataramenos.8960

Hello,Im one of the thousands who stacked in this story mode quest…2weeks and still bugged!!!!!!Is so hard for them to fix this problem ?Seriously……….

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Locked? that is no good. Really I always switch between events/storymode to level. Now i can only level. I also like that the storymode basically introduces me to the new area’s from LA to Orr. Now i cannot do that and will have to go back all there for storymode. I’m almost level 70, and would like to boost tru storymode now. But i just cannot, with this major bug. I used storymode on all my 5 chars so far, and 3 of them got 65+ in storymode. Now being stuck on level 42 is very anoying.

So Arenanet, please fix this bug. Especially now halloween is over, I think this bug has priority.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: SainIChiRo.2056

SainIChiRo.2056

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/The-hatchery-bugged/first#post528545

from the link problem fixed but need to wait for testing

and why you edited your post Jeff?

You should post new reply for preventing something like this topic!

multani.1452

I don’t blame jeff because he does his job, he actually did come up with the fix to the bug. However once he sent it over it’s being withheld until a MAJOR update.

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m honestly confused as to why the patch hasn’t gone through. This bug is a pretty big deal, and Jeff already did his part by fixing the issue and getting it ready to patch… so why has it vanished? This is not a small issue we’re talking about here, and patch was ready DAYS ago, so what purpose is there in forcing us to wait until November 15th to be able to progress past our story line. It just seems to me a little odd. ESPECIALLY considering we saw fixes to WvW, other story quests and a handful of other things just 2 days ago.

I would really like to see this issue taken more seriously. I honestly felt my faith in Arenanet slip a bit when I saw the previous post closed. We’re told what… it’ll be patched when it’s patched, get over it and wait? And oh, btw, we’re tired of listening to you whine so we’re just gonna shut this conversation down? That really changed my view of Arenanet as a whole.

I really hope whoever is holding this patch up starts to take this issue just a tad bit more seriously. A month will have been a long time to wait to be able to continue our main character’s story arcs…

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Posted by: Kudzu.7569

Kudzu.7569

Count me in as someone stuck on this story, as well. I honestly don’t mind waiting for the patch since I’m sure there’s some reason why it hasn’t been implemented yet, though of course it’s frustrating not being able to continue my storyline. I’m a lot more confused about the previous thread being closed, however; since the bug hasn’t been fixed yet, the thread should still be valid and I can’t see any logical reason to close it down. :\

It would be nice if we had more information about why the patch wasn’t implemented when so many other things have been patched recently, especially now that Halloween is at an end.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
– Mike Obrien, President of Anet

multani.1452

I’m honestly confused as to why the patch hasn’t gone through. This bug is a pretty big deal, and Jeff already did his part by fixing the issue and getting it ready to patch… so why has it vanished? This is not a small issue we’re talking about here, and patch was ready DAYS ago, so what purpose is there in forcing us to wait until November 15th to be able to progress past our story line. It just seems to me a little odd. ESPECIALLY considering we saw fixes to WvW, other story quests and a handful of other things just 2 days ago.

I would really like to see this issue taken more seriously. I honestly felt my faith in Arenanet slip a bit when I saw the previous post closed. We’re told what… it’ll be patched when it’s patched, get over it and wait? And oh, btw, we’re tired of listening to you whine so we’re just gonna shut this conversation down? That really changed my view of Arenanet as a whole.

I really hope whoever is holding this patch up starts to take this issue just a tad bit more seriously. A month will have been a long time to wait to be able to continue our main character’s story arcs…

Tolmos, the reason it’s being held up is because apparently the Q and A team is the reason. Jeff say’s they go through extensive testing to make sure each patch will not only work, but also not cause other major issues with the game. HOWEVER, I don’t believe it takes a month to actually test a patch to make sure it works. What do I think happened? They where too busy with their halloween event that they didn’t get around to testing the patch. Do I think that’s right? No, you take care of your core game before you ever consider working out the bugs to a temporary event. If this doesn’t patch via November 5th update, I’m not only going to be very disappointed, but not surprised if people actually stop playing the game all together. I know part of me doesn’t want to play the game cause honestly, I really want to continue on with the story without leveling up to 80 and be stuck at a lvl 45 story quest. However I doubt the team is even bothering to read these posts as they seem more interested in the November 15th event.

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: smergy.9320

smergy.9320

i for one done get that one the 3 toons i lvl’d just enough to get the initial of the 3 groups done my 80 however did get all his story done, the ele 45 is in mid of her quest she went whispers, and then i get to the mesmer, i love lvling it, but i get to this story and boom bugged cant advance, i am not lvl 60 and stil not fixed, do i have to be 80 to complete?

story quests are part of what makes this mmo great i think and when they dont work then well the drive to lvl is really hard, ac3 came out and halo 4 comes monday and honestly with bugs like this and games like those makes me just not want to play GW2

and on a side note i know GW is free to play but if i were paying a monthly i would have stopped playing since i feel that they dont really care about the core of this game

(edited by smergy.9320)

multani.1452

i for one done get that one the 3 toons i lvl’d just enough to get the initial of the 3 groups done my 80 however did get all his story done, the ele 45 is in mid of her quest she went whispers, and then i get to the mesmer, i love lvling it, but i get to this story and boom bugged cant advance, i am not lvl 60 and stil not fixed, do i have to be 80 to complete?

story quests are part of what makes this mmo great i think and when they dont work then well the drive to lvl is really hard, ac3 came out and halo 4 comes monday and honestly with bugs like this and games like those makes me just not want to play GW2

I know, it’s a tad depressing isn’t it? I really love so far the order of whispers story line. And the fact that I can’t continue with it is because of a month long bug that they still haven’t considered “patching” despite the fact the QA staff have the fix, makes me a bit…….frustrated to say the least.

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Xizindar.8376

Xizindar.8376

I work in software development and an FQT team is a very important step (sorry QA – Formal Qualification & Testing – Quality Assurance essentially the same thing) . I checked that thread every day or two at most looking for an update. Now that it’s been stupidly locked there is no good place.

The terms of service say that the moderators have full discretion to address any behavior. So I’d like to see the reasoning behind Martin Kerstein’s decision to address “behavior” by locking the entire thread. Certainly there were people bad mouthing the company – they are upset and very annoyed rightfully that a Halloween event trumped what seems to them to be the most important bug in the game. It probably isn’t and QA does need to go through the right steps to make sure it doesn’t break every instanced storyline quest in the game (Yes, this is possible, trust me).

That said the players need a place to vent frustrations – wow learned this very early on and let threads drag on for thousandsa of replies until a personal attacking flame war broke out then they would swoop in and close. THAT was not happening – just genuine frustration as to why it was taking so long.

This has taught me that this game might be in trouble. If they do not listen to their clients and answer the questions asked and simply attempt to shut them out when they gripe too long – they’re not headed down a positive path. There are other avenues gamers will pursue if they are ignored and frustrated. Locking threads where people are not out of hand and given no warning is a foolish course of action.

Posted by: Caitiri.9620

Caitiri.9620

I too am stuck at this quest as of last night. I wish I had read the forums before choosing…

Posted by: jatobi.1756

jatobi.1756

I still don’t see how this hasn’t been put into the game yet….the fix is done, it’s ready to be rolled out. There has been a patch since this post was made.

What gives? Screw “waiting for content update” put it in a kitten patch and fix our game so we can continue our story!

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/242522-the-hatchery-story-line/

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Hello again, my sufferin brothers.

I saw this post from the Anet guy, and he said that the fix is ready and tested. But why do we ned to wait till the next major content update? It is really frustrating, and I’d lik to continue my lvling parallel with my stry quests.

Please, guy get it fixed before The Lost Shores, please!

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I’m not so concerned about being able to have a place to vent my frustration as I am about being able to avoid additional frustration by being able to come to a thread and checking on the current status of this bug versus hoofing my character out to the instance and wasting additional time finding out that it’s still not fixed. If a patch comes out and players are posting that the problem is still exist, I have my answer. If the thread is locked and nobody can share any information with others stuck in the same position, I can’t. And before someone suggests we should rely on patch notes, all too often they are incomplete.

That is why threads like this need to stay open and not be locked down the moment a developer provides some sort of response or update. When that happens but an issue isn’t resolved, players still have questions and need a place to ask those questions. What’s the point of the forums otherwise?

Posted by: Kaiho.8095

Kaiho.8095

I was so happy to hear that it’d be fixed 5th of November.
But now it’s 15th of November. :l

Now I think I’ll just start all over again… * Sighs *

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

My son got caught by this bug. He’s extremely frustrated because he has very limited playtime and was committed to keeping pace with the story-line as his character leveled.

The worst part of it is, it was all so preventable. There ARE choices a player could have made to avoid this bug, yet week after week Arena Net is permitted players to get trapped into this deadend. All it would take is to remove the choice, or to flash up a warning that “hey, this quest isn’t ready for release yet.”

The story-line part of GW2 has so many bugs, and they are very discouraging for the players. I can understand and accept that the story-quest team doesn’t have the talent or tools to make it work in a timely manner. But they DO have the tools to keep it from being such a disappointment to the players.

For example, my son would have been just as happy doing the Hyleks or Quaggan instead of Skritt. He did Skritt just because he’d already seen the others while in party with my story-lines.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

If only you could just backtrack and say “you know, I’d rather help the Hyleks”…

If only…

multani.1452

Now see, this right here is why most people, including myself are beyond frustrated. You mean to tell me it takes less than a week to fix bugs and issues with the Halloween event, yet you’re telling me it’s going to take more than a month to implement the fix for a story line bug? I find that very hard to believe, in fact I’m now believing that Anet now cares first about pushing out content before fixing the content that’s already live. There is no justification in taking this long to release a patch that’s already been confirmed to be completed unless you’re having your QA team busy on the upcomming November event first.

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: veslarius.8425

veslarius.8425

ArenaNet has always liked to create a lot of holiday content. Now that Halloween is over, they are likely working on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s events. I personally appreciate the time and effort that they put into making so much entertaining content for us.
That being said, I think that they are getting a bit ahead of themselves. In their good natured eagerness to make content for their fans, I think that they have forgotten the importance of building on a solid foundation. They have dedicated fans from about 7 years of satisfying Guild Wars 1 content, but they also have many new players that were lured in by the games beauty and mechanics. Even for the diehard veterans, serious bugs like this can leave them with a poor gaming experience and therefore a bad impression on Guild Wars 2 in general.
Just as a person should master walking before they try to run or put a concrete foundation down before building a house, ArenaNet should fix all priority bugs before worrying about adding content. I would say that fixing any bug that impedes game progress would be a good example of building a strong foundation. Sure there will be minor bugs that could be annoying, but if it doesn’t block progression through game content it could be put off until after the holidays.
I do know that ArenaNet has the ability to fix serious problems very quickly from my experiences in GW1. An example that several of you may remember is the unanticipated affect of a skill called “By Uriel’s Hammer”. An unanticipated affect was the resurrection of fallen ritualist spirits. This affect allowed a team of ritualists to easily speed clear an elite area called the Underworld.
I was seriously impressed at how quickly they fixed that bug and any other bug over the years that either gave someone an advantage in PvP or enabled players to solo farm a rare product. I believe that these two areas are of their highest priority, that’s ok by me but I think that story progression into game content should at least be 3rd on the list. Then added content such as expansions and holiday events could be 4th.

Posted by: SuperCoolioJohn.4785

SuperCoolioJohn.4785

For all we know the fix to this problem could be gargantuan which would justify putting it in the next content update, but locking the previous thread isn’t going to make everyone forget that this problem is still going on. Now instead of having one very large thread, they are going to have a million small ones and if these get locked more will show up. Basically when one falls, two shall rise in its place lol

multani.1452

For all we know the fix to this problem could be gargantuan which would justify putting it in the next content update, but locking the previous thread isn’t going to make everyone forget that this problem is still going on. Now instead of having one very large thread, they are going to have a million small ones and if these get locked more will show up. Basically when one falls, two shall rise in its place lol

While I agree that this patch could be very large and would take time, the only problem is this. They already have the patch ready to go out. Jeff has explained in other threads that he’s already submitted the patch that would fix the story mission. The only problem is that QA has yet to release the patch. Now it would be great if they would release it on 11/5/12. However, they’re waiting to release it on the 15th of November. That’s over a month that they’ve known this game breaking bug has been in the game, yet they’ve sat on it for that long.

~Eliana Veilstrike~
Yak’s Bend (TBE)

Posted by: Echo Narcissa.6829

Echo Narcissa.6829

I’ll admit…I’m getting frustrated. It’s been days, and it’s really limiting my in-game progress. Please add the update!

Posted by: Cryptex.1563

Cryptex.1563

I have the same problem. I can’t proceed with the storyline..

Posted by: Raigne.9846

Raigne.9846

I was a little flabbergasted when they closed that thread. Having such an open design policy during development made people feel like what they thought was important. Closing an active thread with irate people in it doesn’t solve anything. At least it was contained to one thread.

My problem now is that I know QA gets blamed for things frequently when players are pissed off. This is obviously an issue with whoever schedules the hours for QA. You can only blame your testers for so long.

Posted by: Wyrmrider.1692

Wyrmrider.1692

There are two bugs here.

The first is the actual in-game Hatchery bug.

The second is that apparently there is nobody on the ANet community team with the authority/responsibility to see this through.

Posted by: Tobby.2479

Tobby.2479

blah blah blah fixed bugs. but more than 100s ppl still can’t continue the story including me. So they call this fixed ?

Posted by: Ahrounmoon.9148

Ahrounmoon.9148

Well, I wish they could get the fix rolled out sooner. They’ve fixed it, they’re just waiting for a patch to be able to apply the fix. Certain fixes, depending on where they are in the code, can be a bigger deal to patch than others so I’m okay waiting a while longer.

Meanwhile my character who’s stuck on the quest has become my map clearing character and is working on 100% map completion. May as well, since I have to find some other way to level her. It seems to me like it’s the most constructive way to go about it while we wait.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I hope it does get fixed for all of your sakes. It was less buggy ages ago and it bugged bad if one of skritt died before meeting the first in the order your supposed to save them.

Now not even letting any of them die until the destroyer harpies doesn’t do any good or so I heard…

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

locked, removed and this one will be also.

plus points if you complain and a nice time out after that..

they bust something big and if you complain you get wacked even more…

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Just hit this bug with my ranger, followed the rescue order as suggested by minimap. Get to 3rd group of skritt (only 1 alive).

Interact with Tchkik, he says some stuff, last thing he says is “The destroyers kill my Kittaka! Rot and rust them all!” … with no marker or anything else further occuring …

My Rangers storyline progress is blocked by this storyline bug.

The story progress shows the following ticked off
1. Go to the Hidden Ourobon to begin the search.
2. Rescue Tchkik and the other scouts.

If you go into my story it shows the last one ticked off 3 times, and nothing else after that is showing.

Attachments:

(edited by wildcode.5403)

Posted by: Boxy.3824

Boxy.3824

Concidering this is a gamebreaking bug, i’m surprised the fix is still not in. i’ve not had much time to play, but my ranger have been 80 at least a week now, and i’m still stuck at this mission for personal story

Posted by: NegativeZero.9045

NegativeZero.9045

I got so frustrated with this bug I started playing a different MMO that just came out while I wait for this patch. This isn’t a threat that I will move on I did move on. If this doesn’t go in BEFORE (or at the same time) the next holiday patch I won’t be back. There are plenty of other games out there and delaying a patch of this importance for so long is just unacceptable. I understand the need to test. This is fine but this DOES NOT TAKE AN ENTIRE MONTH. This just means you put priority on other things (holiday BS) rather then fixing a major game progression issue. Again unacceptable.

Posted by: Garithorn.7960

Garithorn.7960

Pretty disappointing, my main quest was bugged… so then I went to run a dungeon with my guild… The dungeon was bugged, too. I cant finish anything.

Posted by: Mirar.3465

Mirar.3465

NegativeZero, any good MMOs? RoR? I need something else to do as well while waiting for ANet to fix this bug. I “finished” TSW already, so I’m not going there again until they add significant amounts of content…

…I uninstalled GW2 for now so I wouldn’t get frustrated enough to delete the character and start over.

Well, at last I got to play through Portal 2 that’s been waiting all this time…

Mirar.3465

I updated the wiki so maybe some other people can avoid this bug… I would have if the wiki had mentioned it, I was looking at which branches would be fun.

Posted by: StygSec.7163

StygSec.7163

The developers and QA team know about it, and they’re pushing to fix it. If we can all remain constructive this thread may not be locked. -However- if people keep venting their anger in this thread it will be deemed unconstructive and will be locked.

Posted by: albieg.7021

albieg.7021

Count me in the number of persons who are disappointed by the answers given, because the issue will “run its course” when it is fixed.
I’ve hit it now so I can’t complain like all the others, but my jaw dropped when I took a look at the forum. Let say I don’t consider the final answer given in the locked thread satisfactory. If I answered that way to a customer of mine because he/she’s not able to perform a task with the software I sell I’d have to do a lot of damage control and apologise personally to customers, then face disciplinary action. But not all firms, I recognise, work that way.

This communication failure is extremely sad.

Mirar.3465

Same here really, I’d probably have to work until fixed.

The sad thing is that it’s already fixed. It’s just not passed the QA people. The same people that messed up and let it through in the first place…

I’m positively surprised that ANet still have developers that can fix bugs that quickly, and communicate on the forum. Kudos to Jeff for that. I’d send you a cookie, but it’d probably go bad during transport from the EUs…

…most MMOs these days seems to fire the devs the week after the (buggy) release.