The outstanding Hatchery Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Engel Angel.9076

Engel Angel.9076

I got stuck storywise at around level 45 and 30ish% map, and went on exploring’n’leveling in the meantime…..Now 2 weeks later I’m lv 80 and about 65% map, and still can’t enjoy the storyline…..despite the fact that my game got updated quite a few times already.
Alright, so there are a LOT of bugs to fix (understandable, it’s a really big game, not complaining on that), but shouldn’t a bug that affects the MAIN STORYLINE take priority over events, skill points, or whatever…?

“A single picture is worth a thousand words”

Posted by: Barcz.3980

Barcz.3980

Hey i try make the hatchery 7 times in a row nothing happen! My personal story is cut when i talk to last skirt in cave. THis is big bug for me becaus ei really enjoy personal story i already send u report about this bug twice! Please do something with this!

Posted by: Ryan.2356

Ryan.2356

Between the Locked thread and this thread, this topic now has over 500 replies and 14,000 views.

With hundreds of unique posters.

Your community is telling you that this IS your biggest and highest priority defect.

Somebody needs to run this up the chain and get it prioritized.

Ryan

(edited by Ryan.2356)

Posted by: Ariane of Amber.7853

Ariane of Amber.7853

Being unaware that this story line was bugged, I too plunged into the Hatchery to find myself stuck. A fix, or an artificial completion allowing to move on, would be much appreciated.

Posted by: Oujii Kaeru.1425

Oujii Kaeru.1425

I see Deusche-baggery in these ones, FIX the kitten bug or give us a free pass past that bug until you do, its been done in many other games, there no kitten excuse for the way your handling things , as in other games devs are able to politely move you past the stuck point if need be , are you telling me your support team sucks this bad ?

Posted by: Katastrofoli.5890

Katastrofoli.5890

I am also still waiting for the bug fix.
Since one Month i guess.

Posted by: hosler.8431

hosler.8431

Well I’ve come to this stage of my story Questline, and to read this although I didn’t read All the replies, I must say fix this or block this path untill the fix is up, because we can’t move on from this point, so PLEASE do something about it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Koeta.9483

Koeta.9483

count me also as being stuck unable to do the story because of this bug…

Attachments:

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

A new build just got pushed! Since the patch is already finished and wasn’t being put out yet because they didn’t want to inconvenience players by putting out new builds, I can only assume our fix is in there!

I can’t wait =D

Posted by: Arkvan.3561

Arkvan.3561

Yeah downloading it now, gonna check Hatchery after that…

One can hope.

No one hears you.

Posted by: Jim Riven.3241

Jim Riven.3241

Nope, its not fixed, gg anet

Posted by: soapwagon.6870

soapwagon.6870

Now I’m wondering what they even fixed in the first place.

Posted by: Nanna Moon.6742

Nanna Moon.6742

Might go and play with Pandas,,,this is ridiculous

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I can tell you what they broke … (authenticator)

Posted by: tronik.9065

tronik.9065

*RAGE****************

Arkvan.3561

Skritt is still broken. GG.

No one hears you.

Posted by: Bradesco.9621

Bradesco.9621

Great !

I was wondering what to do in this quest so I went to google I see that:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Hatchery

I am very sad now.

Posted by: soapwagon.6870

soapwagon.6870

Best thing is now they dont have time to address the bugs again because they will probably be busy preparing the november event. And don’t even get me started on Christmas.

Posted by: sapiorion.3247

sapiorion.3247

Checked, still not working …

Anet the excuse about not wanting to disrupt play time for other players is looking weak now.

Posted by: Oujii Kaeru.1425

Oujii Kaeru.1425

I like to eat kitten in the morning, it always makes me smile oh noes an infraction, they want helpfull feed back , but dont understand they are getting helpfull feed back when we tell them they need to address this issue immediatly to keep some of us playing ? I would call that pretty helpfull for bussiness .
Did you idiots hire people from SOE to handle your customer service ?

Arkvan.3561

So what DID they fix? Was the dye drop rate too low now?

No one hears you.

Posted by: Chade.4370

Chade.4370

Ah, the joys of having been kicked out of the game for an update in the middle of a Champ fight, then thinking “Hell Ya, new update could mean Hatchery is fixed, I love you GW” only to do the quest one more time (god Im getting good at it now) and find it isnt T_T so so sad… We’ve been so patient and yet they still ignore us..

Oh well, off to go play some Halo I guess and be even more patient with them.

Posted by: Ryan.2356

Ryan.2356

New Patch! Somebody check it?

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

Previous

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

Next

We have found the issue and fixed it, and it’s going to pushed as part of an upcoming content update. I do not have a specific date at this time, but it is a priority and I apologize for the wait. Please understand that even “simple” fixes can affect seemingly unrelated content and require an extended testing period, which is why we’re not able to hotfix every issue immediately.

Posted by: Jim Riven.3241

Jim Riven.3241

Thanks for the quick response CC Dal, (not intentional ironical)

I meant to the latest patch.
Hoping its the 16 but wont hold my breath

Posted by: Mechos.5640

Mechos.5640

If I might politely ask, why is ArenaNet insisting on attaching the fix to the Hatchery (a small problem, comparatively speaking) with a content update? It seems as if they could have fixed the issue much easier through the small content patches like they did today regarding the Candy Corn Nodes or the Dye drop rate.

Just strikes me as odd, so some clarification on just why the Hatchery fix couldn’t be separated from a content update which takes much longer (over a month, judging by how long this bug has been in).

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

How about a Skrit mini pet for those of us who have been bugged by this?

A Skrit mini pet that you can call out, but then won’t follow you.
:D

Posted by: Formaldehyde.5840

Formaldehyde.5840

My biggest question is regarding your excuses that patches effect every player in the game; and the smallest patch can negatively effect them. I just had a 8MB+ patch that kicked people.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

If you can see, the only update was fixing Candy Corns. Really? You have the issue fixed. You’ve been saying it’s been fixed for nearly a month now, and you’ve had dozens of patches since you’ve said it’s been fixed for you to push it. I’ve rolled another character to enjoy the story line. I had to go from 35-80 off crafting and dungeons and I missed your #1 aspect you attempted to sell: the story. So, I’ll join the growing number of people who are relatively upset.

Compensation needs to be received for this injustice. The best form of compensation would be to push a glaring bug immediately after you have QA’d the fix. Now, compensation needs to be something else.

Posted by: PrincessVoltara.9267

PrincessVoltara.9267

So, I just left the bloody Hatchery and it is STILL not working…One post we are told the 7th another post we are told after Halloween and now there is no ETA on when this will be fixed…Let me say that I am so disappointed in the way Guild WARS has handled this. You all say you have such pride in this game, then step up to the game and do it asap…I cant tell you how many times we have been told that very line that it is fixed and we are just waiting on an up date or something else…I say this…I will NOT buy your expansion package if this doesn’t get fixed….I have to say that EDEN Eternal is a better GUILD WARS…At less they fix issues and stick to what they say.. I see this as a bunch of politicians promising the world and cant even living up to what you promise…And the sad part is, is that I HATE governments…ISNT gaming a way to escape the bull from real life and when we try to escape, it is like we are thrown right back into reality when it comes to the NOT getting things fixed issue…If I am out of line for expressing my concern, then I AM SORRY…but if you cant fix a game, then why even sell it or have people waste their time and money on this? Really? Please answer and please fix…I just want action and NO MORE PROMISES…Action is loader then words…Act responsible and do what is right and also what is a form of INTEGRATY. The sad part is, is that they person who should be taking the tong lash for this is the creator, not people who have no control over this…Please, with all sincerity, please fix your game…Thank you.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

This is another case of something that looks simple but is actually fairly complex. The issue is that the same day that I made the fix to this story step, some changes were made to the music system that required an update to all story steps. Unfortunately, this meant that my fixed version was no longer compatible with Live, since it had references to the new audio changes in it, but Live did not have the new changes yet. Ultimately, it was deemed too risky to rush out the new audio changes (since they would affect every story step), which is why this (seemingly minor) fix has been delayed for so long, and why it’s part of a major update, and hasn’t been pushed out with the smaller updates we’ve made since this bug was fixed.

Posted by: YigitAsci.4078

YigitAsci.4078

Story quest The hatchery’s part of the Rescue Tchihk and the skritt treasure hunters is bugged. I’ve done it 5 times now. Please fix it as soon as possible!

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Posted by: Keatstwo.1839

Keatstwo.1839

Thanks for the info Jeffrey. I guess it’s probably safe to assume that the big update will be the one hitting at the end of next week, looking forward to being able to finish my personal story :}

Posted by: lokasenna.2634

lokasenna.2634

Thank you so much for that information. I was beginning to become quite frustrated while reading up on this bug and although I wish there had been something to alert myself and other gamers it was bugged before we chose it so we could have avoided this all together, I appreciate finally knowing exactly why it has taken so long. I can’t wait to finally be able to enjoy my main character again.

Posted by: SnackyCakes.7051

SnackyCakes.7051

Thanks for the update Jeff. That is a much better explanation for the wait than we have been receiving thus far. The timing sucks, but the explanation makes sense.

Posted by: Mightwolf.1968

Mightwolf.1968

Thanks Jeff, a long explaination is sometimes hard/boring to do, especially with this kind of issues and speaking to our kind of people (theoretically non-IT people), but it’s definitely worthing it on the result.

I guess now the players on this thread will surely better understand all the isseus related that make the postpone of the fix.

Thanks again

Posted by: Irishdragon.6430

Irishdragon.6430

It’s good to finally get a thorough explanation. Now the vague “though simple it may not be so…” has been given a true answer.

My only beef is, I really don’t recall any of us saying it was simple, but I do recall many saying it’s a major bug. So the fact still remains that it should have been pushed harder than it has been. Leaving it as long as it has been has effected thousands. That’s a bug that warranted a speedier fix and been given itself a major patch if necessary. Instead it has been pushed back on top of a major patch, if we’re lucky, and to me, just screams “More major issues to come”.

Unfortunately if this is how things are going to be handled then I have little faith that this will be my next MMO addiction in life, and will just go back to getting fat watching TV.

I will say thanks, at least, for giving us the insight on what’s really going on and possibly would have resulted in a lot less angered players if done sooner.

Posted by: invaderLinZ.9260

invaderLinZ.9260

That was very disappointing that the last thread was locked. It’s irritating constantly having to play the mission to see if it’s fixed when I can just check the forums to see if someone has already tried. Thank you to the user who pointed me to this thread.

Posted by: StygSec.7163

StygSec.7163

I can tell you what they broke … (authenticator)

I had a roommate that ate his… once.

Side note. Thank you Jeffery for the update!

Posted by: kazi.6438

kazi.6438

Thanks Jeff! I’m totally cool with that explanation.

Anyhow, for future reference, I think that more information = happier players.

Also, my money is on the patch being released on the 16th. That is the next content update.

Inir [CAT]

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

[…] Unfortunately, this meant that my fixed version was no longer compatible with Live, since it had references to the new audio changes in it, but Live did not have the new changes yet.[…]

But your patch could be backported and merged to the Live branch?

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

Yeah I hope it gets fixed soon. I loved the story-line quests. It really pulled you into the game. Now I just tend to run around and jump in events. I mean they are fun and all, but honestly I was just bored waiting for the story line to be fixed, and needed something to do.

Posted by: rhycochet.5268

rhycochet.5268

just wanted to toss in the fact that i’m now heading towards level 65…unlike most people here i explore a lot more than i story so i didn’t even attempt it till level 55 or so but still…does this mean i can’t get my order armor when i hit 80 before the patch comes out?

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

does this mean i can’t get my order armor when i hit 80 before the patch comes out?

No, the only prereq is that you join an order. If you’ve got through to the level 30-ish quest where you pick an order and the take your first mission (which I think is whe you also get the order’s banner in your character select screen), you’ll have access to all the gear they sell. Go to your order’s headquarters and look around for an armorsmith.

Having the personal story bugged at The Hatchery does prevent you from getting certain PvE-rewards-only armor skins, and Pact weapon skins, on this character.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Atlan.9036

Atlan.9036

This is another case of something that looks simple but is actually fairly complex. The issue is that the same day that I made the fix to this story step, some changes were made to the music system that required an update to all story steps. Unfortunately, this meant that my fixed version was no longer compatible with Live, since it had references to the new audio changes in it, but Live did not have the new changes yet. Ultimately, it was deemed too risky to rush out the new audio changes (since they would affect every story step), which is why this (seemingly minor) fix has been delayed for so long, and why it’s part of a major update, and hasn’t been pushed out with the smaller updates we’ve made since this bug was fixed.

Why don’t you strip the music references from the patch as a workaround. I would have no problem to play through this single story quest without music (even without sound at all).

Posted by: Chell.9357

Chell.9357

I found a lot of interesting reading on this bug, just got it today. My question is if this has been going on for so long why is it still available? If you can block flying cows why not this?

Posted by: Nixurub.7681

Nixurub.7681

Dear game developers, it’s been more than two weeks and I still can not complete the quest. Why should I suffer because of your mistakes. While other players are playing quietly, I have to wait, when corrected the mistake and I’m finally able to play fully. I hope that the final time you correct your mistake. Suggest to the developers as it amends and reward players for the long wait, I think a set of pet or a couple hundred gems is enough. Good luck

Posted by: Kaltern.9586

Kaltern.9586

Sorry, but every excuse given so far is a load of crap.

If something is broken, and it can’t be fixed without causing a few problems elsewhere (understandable) – then REMOVE THE kitten STORY STEP.

It isn’t difficult to add a simple ‘ohh quest complete’ when you first enter the instance. We don’t NEED to play this step, we don’t NEED To rescue a few rats, we just NEED to play the game we paid for.

This is clearly a case of ‘pay once, fix whenever’.

The only reason the Halloween stuff was pushed, was because of making some extra profit.

Pro tip: If a game is severely broken, less people will a) play it, and b) spend money on gems.

Add (don’t change anything, just add) to the quest script the ‘Quest Complete-Show end cutscene’ flag when we first enter the instance, until the fix is pushed out.

Problem solved, customers happy, we can all move on.

Really, is it that difficult to make such a simple to implement decision. Or are AreaNet’s ‘suits’ so far removed from the game that they can’t understand simple business economics – that is, happy customers spend more money?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

lol. You could have saved days of QQ if you would have said that from the beginning =D Most of us thought that it was just being held up because someone in QA hadn’t gotten around to testing it and put it on the back burner. THAT is why we were getting so upset/frustrated.

Anyhow, thanks for that information update. I feel better at least knowing the reason and understanding why a quick fix would be a problem.

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

Sorry, but every excuse given so far is a load of crap.

If something is broken, and it can’t be fixed without causing a few problems elsewhere (understandable) – then REMOVE THE kitten STORY STEP.

Agreed.

While i appreciate Jeffrey’s response/explanation.. i still do not get why they are continuing to allow people to /pick/ the Skritt option when its been broken long term.

Why not disable allowing people to pick that choice at all?

i mean with this quest line broken for what appears to be over a month it makes no sense to continue to allow people to select a broken quest line. Why keep allowing new people to select this as an option??