The outstanding Hatchery Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: kalakoji.4951

kalakoji.4951

This is truly unbelievable. It’s interesting that the “Quality Assurance” directly bars the Quality part of the human story.

Posted by: Ryan.2356

Ryan.2356

Between this and the locked thread, this topic now has 750 replies (more than any stickied post) and 24,000 views, and hundreds of unique posters.

Yet it’s still not a sticky. Can we ask why please?

Posted by: Esmerine.9465

Esmerine.9465

What would sticky get us? I don’t think it’s appropriate or useful here:

• This thread is not useful to all players; it applies only to a subset of players (however important the issue is to us).
  • The information in this thread is relatively volatile.
  • This thread is updated frequently, so users looking for it should have an easy time.
  • This thread is the first thing that comes up with a search for “skritt” and is linked in the first result for “hatchery”.
  • This thread has a response from ArenaNet, so there is a bright red icon to guide users.

We want recognition, but I don’t think that sticky is the right tool for the job.

Is it worth discussing, though, other ways for ArenaNet to recognize the impact of this bug and the patching process? Is there something ArenaNet could learn from the community here?

Posted by: Dane.9480

Dane.9480

Or you can buy some more gems for real money, if you want.

No you can’t , I just tryed and got stucked on select country.
Browsed the forums and found out it has been bugged for 25 days

Ryan.2356

• This thread is not useful to all players; it applies only to a subset of players (however important the issue is to us).

That’s sort of my point. Anet has not assigned this defect the correct Severity due to that thinking.

I’ve worked in software development for almost 20 years. First as a developer, then QA, project management and finally as department director, and I think I have a pretty good idea what happened.

This defect was not given a high enough severity due to it not affecting ALL players. Severity is different from Priority and severity always has criteria that determines it’s level; ex. a critical defect may cause the application to go down or be unusable, High has major impact, while a low severity has a more limited impact to end users.

The mistake that the development team made here is not recognizing the impact this defect has to the playability and perceived end user service of their application.

This defect did not affect ALL players, but it effected many. And for the ones it effected, it had a Very HIGH severity impact to their gaming experience. That’s why it should have been assigned a higher severity and why it warranted a patch of it’s own.

Posted by: Esmerine.9465

Esmerine.9465

That’s sort of my point. Anet has not assigned this defect the correct Severity due to that thinking.

I’ve worked in software development for almost 20 years. First as a developer, then QA, project management and finally as department director, and I think I have a pretty good idea what happened.

This defect was not given a high enough severity due to it not affecting ALL players. Severity is different from Priority and severity always has criteria that determines it’s level; ex. a critical defect may cause the application to go down or be unusable, High has major impact, while a low severity has a more limited impact to end users.

The mistake that the development team made here is not recognizing the impact this defect has to the playability and perceived end user service of their application.

This defect did not affect ALL players, but it effected many. And for the ones it effected, it had a Very HIGH severity impact to their gaming experience. That’s why it should have been assigned a higher severity and why it warranted a patch of it’s own.

I largely agree about the severity of this bug based on criteria we can observe (e.g., it was bundled with another fix, and the game is sold partly on the story components). I don’t agree that what we perceive to be priorities is necessarily the same as what ArenaNet perceives. They probably have better information than us about the proportion of players affected by this bug (it’s not necessarily a good idea to cater solely to the vocal minority). They might not actually care about the story, despite it being advertised (this is a bad thing for customers, and hopefully not the case, but let’s not assume, eh?).

As stated before, I disagree with assumptions about what the development team did here specifically. There’s too much variation in the software industry for that. I’m not likely to agree with many statements of the form “all software companies do X”.

I also don’t see what the severity of this bug has to do with the thread being sticky. Sticky threads are useful for very specific circumstances: generally useful information, rarely updated, that may not be easily found or is strongly suggested as a first-place-to-look. This thread is specifically useful, frequently updated (we’re helping with that, aren’t we?), and easily found.

Posted by: Skar.1824

Skar.1824

so its been well over a month now sense jeff declared “he fixed it, just waiting for it to go live” has anet bothered to let jeff’s fix go live yet or is this pos company still sitting on it?

Posted by: Vortex.2810

Vortex.2810

Come back from Mad King`s Realm and FIX IT!!!

Ryan.2356

Esmerine.9465, the sticky issue, # of replies, ect all has to do with the incorrectly assigned Severity because when you have this many end users this upset about a lower severity defect, you need to revise your models.

Posted by: AoiHex.5624

AoiHex.5624

It’s been like the 6th time I tried this highly frustrating mission. I actually opened guild wars and I got very happy that it updated as it was inferred in the admins previous posts that a near future update will fix it…. but to my surprise it still has not been fixed.

I just give up now, honestly. I have no faith in Arena Net…. the amount of bugs I’ve had to report is ridiculous… but I kept forcing myself to keep playing with the hope that I’d be less disappointed. But no… my disappointment just keeps growing and growing. I’ve already decided that I wont be making any more in game purchases until i feel I’m paying for a good service…. which at the moment I cannot see happening.

I’m just getting the feeling of a genuine lack of care, a lack of care that now seems to be mutual. I had such high hopes for Arena Net since GW1….but I find that i just seem to be forcing myself to like it now.

Sorry to throw a downer guys. I’m just so disappointed its unreal!

Posted by: Mirjam.4165

Mirjam.4165

Ok so after 4 tries I got very angry at this mission and found all these forum topic of people with the same problem. So there is no way i can advance on my personal story at this point…..Now, the fact that this issue is KNOWN and still not fixed and many of these topic go back about 20 days….IT IS HORRIBLE. How hard can it be to fix this bug? (I have no idea im not pc expert). So gw-people: please please fix this because with all these bugs in the personal stories….I just do not wanna do them anymore. This is not the first time this happened to me in a personal story.

My advise: please just wait with major update as lost shores and FIX THE BUGS. make gw2 playable first, then consider updating big time, because this is just…..bleh….

Posted by: osofumo.5809

osofumo.5809

so jeffry, then tell me pls. what means later this week it is thursday 5.30 pm, how much later did it hast du be this week bevor it gets fixed? iam so sick of this lies, it will not get fixed enywase like it did not the last 2 times when you said it would get fixed.

Posted by: chokipik.2168

chokipik.2168

Please at least block the possibility to try that instance, that would be great to spare a few hours trying and trying again to do something else …

Posted by: tronik.9065

tronik.9065

NEW PATCH. This better freaking fix it or I’m seriously just not even going to bother.

Posted by: Carter.3865

Carter.3865

Nope, just seen a message saying its routine maintanence and no new content

Posted by: Carter.3865

Carter.3865

Hmm, it seems a rather large download just for maintenance though.

Posted by: NikolaiWarrior.2394

NikolaiWarrior.2394

Doesn’t this patch include Fractals of the Mist Dungeon?

Posted by: Kaltern.9586

Kaltern.9586

This patch finally fixes the story progression bug. Hooray.

From the notes:

“The story step “The Hatchery” has been fixed to allow players to progress.”

Posted by: Kari.7863

Kari.7863

I have no intention of deleting the character stuck in this quest because she has nearly mastered jewelry crafting. I really would like to finish my personal quest story line, though. I would settle for being able to delete The Hatchery to take the alternate, or just declare it finished in order to get to the next episode. But I will not be happy just waiting endlessly for a fix to be implemented.

Kaltern.9586

(you guys not able to read?)

Ryan.2356

Kaltern.9586 it’s not that. It’s that they regularly edit delete modify merge posts and threads in a fashion to change the appearance of how this has been handled. For instance, this thread originally had no moderator replies for the first 3 pages, now that’s been changed.

Others are upset because we were told it was going in on Nov 5., but that post has been edited. Ect.

Posted by: toejam.1497

toejam.1497

Its fixed.. finally

Posted by: Beherit.9710

Beherit.9710

so what, if i cannot log in on any toon because they got stuch in LA…;/

Posted by: chokipik.2168

chokipik.2168

Yeahhh finally ! I’m almost 80, gonna finish it before :p

Kaltern.9586

Ah my apologies, I forgot about the merging of threads.

Posted by: smergy.9320

smergy.9320

woot fixed!!! takes like 10 min at lvl 60

Posted by: Koroshiya.9270

Koroshiya.9270

kitten yeah finally fixed !! thanks so much i love the Skritts

Posted by: Atu.3072

Atu.3072

Finally fixed!!

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It is indeed fixed, although strangely Forgal refused to move away from the entrance and I had to kill and the destroyers on my own.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Dwanagar.8304

Dwanagar.8304

The Hatchery story line glitch is FIXED!!, just completed it along with the follow up to the story. We all know it took longer than we think it probably needed to, but that is now the past.
Play on…

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

And this will end “the Hatchery 2012” I’m not sad really, I get to enjoy my story now. Thanks

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

Posted by: Tibicia.8315

Tibicia.8315

I know it’s a repeat, but YAY!!!! Thank you!!! =)

Posted by: Ofelion Equitas.8706

Ofelion Equitas.8706

I’m not going to say “Thank you”, as that would be kind of lame, after making us wait this long.

But I AM glad that it is FINALLY fixed.

Posted by: albieg.7021

albieg.7021

Maybe I’m just jaded by my experience in the software industry, and what is poor service seems good to me by comparison—I’m certainly open to that possibility.

I’m on the opposite side since my experience with software (and also hardware) when it comes to contacting major (and also most of minor) players has almost always been positive, but probably that’s because in a productive environment calls to support are treated as incidents, especially when you deal with ISO certified firms which should have, at least theoretically, strict QA procedures and management.

So I’ve seen excellent response times and bugfixes being produced on the fly (for instance IBM rewrote instantly the firmware of a SCSI controller to correct a timeout, and Microsoft almost stalked me until everything was fixed and fine and my incident could be closed) to avoid the problem of a single customer. But then again, that’s the productive environment: you have to treat your customers well.

As for the gaming industry, I doubt customers are treated the same way. Here you have an example, as I said, of a door slammed in the face of someone who was reasonably expecting something to work in reasonable times. And you can talk about complexity, interactions and the like, but that’s no excuse for bad customer treatment. I would have gladly used some money to buy gems to support the developer (as I already did in the past) but at the moment I have decided that I won’t put any more money in Anet or NCSoft products until I see significant improvements. That’s what I can do, apart from quitting the game altogether.

Posted by: Toxic.4320

Toxic.4320

I’m not going to say “Thank you”, as that would be kind of lame, after making us wait this long.

But I AM glad that it is FINALLY fixed.

smdh

I’ll thank them for you. Thank you, ANet for coming through

Ethos Mores [KWBH] Commander, Ranger
Nontoxicwench [KWBH] Guardian
Gefarhlich Madchen [KWBH] Mesmer

Posted by: Renno.2673

Renno.2673

Was almost about to give up on my Ranger but the bug is finnaly fixed! i hit level 63 and hope I don’t run into any more of these bugs. I might need to read more on the boards before I decide on which story line to take.

Posted by: Choppah.3962

Choppah.3962

So glad this is finally fixed. Course my Warrior has already hit Level 80, but at least I can continue with the Story. Been working on Crafting but this will give me another way to make some coin. Better late than never :-)

Urge to Kill Rising!

Posted by: MoonWater.7682

MoonWater.7682

Ok it’s mid-november, the 16th to be exact. A content update is released but does not include a fix to “the hatchery”?!?! Are you kidding me? 4 weeks of being stuck on a personal story line quest. 3 weeks of a fix waiting for a patch inclusion. My elementalist WAS my fave character. COME ON people! We were told the fix would come in at the next content update. We were told mid-November. Halloween came and went (hello new content). Now we have a new pvp map and still no fix for The Hatchery. A previous story line bug which skipped content was “fixed” with a “reset” prior to the skipped content. Surely something of that nature can be done to reset our story line choice (skritt in this case). I would prefer they give us a “skip to” option so we could move forward. At the very least, do SOMETHING please!

Posted by: Corvi.3278

Corvi.3278

Advance thank you Anet for the fix.

The client is still downloading the big patch, hopefully all goes well.

Next time just please inform players – guaranteed less headache.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Ok it’s mid-november, the 16th to be exact. A content update is released but does not include a fix to “the hatchery”?!?! Are you kidding me? 4 weeks of being stuck on a personal story line quest. 3 weeks of a fix waiting for a patch inclusion. My elementalist WAS my fave character. COME ON people! We were told the fix would come in at the next content update. We were told mid-November. Halloween came and went (hello new content). Now we have a new pvp map and still no fix for The Hatchery. A previous story line bug which skipped content was “fixed” with a “reset” prior to the skipped content. Surely something of that nature can be done to reset our story line choice (skritt in this case). I would prefer they give us a “skip to” option so we could move forward. At the very least, do SOMETHING please!

The fix is out. People who had the bug have completed the quest – including someone about 5 posts above you. Next time, please read the recent posts before flouncing around in a huff.

Posted by: Brad Hype.8614

Brad Hype.8614

I hope they compensate the furstration with an improved reward at the end of the mission… But I suppose I am dreaming…
Customer support is close to the worse I have ever experienced.

Posted by: Eleazar.8217

Eleazar.8217

And I will thank Anet as well: thanks!

Posted by: Tobby.2479

Tobby.2479

is it really fixed ? wow !! can’t wait to play now…….!! finally just finally thank you but no thank you. :-D

Posted by: Ragnarok.5708

Ragnarok.5708

I hope they compensate the furstration with an improved reward at the end of the mission… But I suppose I am dreaming…
Customer support is close to the worse I have ever experienced.

Yes, I agree with you completely. Perhaps the number of affected folks was less then some critical number determined by marketing. But I am more likely to believe that there wasn’t enough pressure/interest to actually fix this because of other changes to the game that would have required a refix after the audio system changes. Whatever, you can’t hide the fact that we had to wait a month for a game breaking correction to be applied.

On a scale of 1-10, Arena gets a -1.

Posted by: JackieMaus.6753

JackieMaus.6753

Thanks for fixing the bug.

Posted by: kingpuza.4835

kingpuza.4835

Thanks for fixing the bug!

Posted by: Isher.3524

Isher.3524

Thank you very much.

Posted by: Guy Tuvia.8914

Guy Tuvia.8914

thanhk you for fixing the bug <3

Ryan.2356

Stopped playing 3 months ago during this bug when a 2nd bug pushed me over the edge and I figured to take a break until they clean things up a bit. At least this one eventually got fixed.