Tome of Knowledge

Tome of Knowledge

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: theknightnurse.7209

theknightnurse.7209

The Tome of Knowledge does give the character one level, but it does not give the same percentage of completion for the next level. (ex. if a character is lvl N+33% of the next level and use the tome, it goes to LvL (N+1)+33%of the next). Using the Tome gives you the SAME number of points in the next level, which is not the same percentage, it is a lower percentage since the next level takes more points.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The Tome of Knowledge does give the character one level, but it does not give the same percentage of completion for the next level. (ex. if a character is lvl N+33% of the next level and use the tome, it goes to LvL (N+1)+33%of the next). Using the Tome gives you the SAME number of points in the next level, which is not the same percentage, it is a lower percentage since the next level takes more points.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I burnt through my tomes on an alt today.

If you were to start at level 1 and use 80 tomes, you’d end up being level 78.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Witchcraft.4789

Witchcraft.4789

I used 60 on a lv20, and I ended up lv80.. no problems.

Tome of Knowledge

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I used 28 tomes this morning.

Starting level: 21.7
Ending level: 49.2

So I lost approximately half a level’s progress.

While double clicking, I could see the level-to-level progress bar steadily move left.

(numbers from memory)

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Are you saying the Tomes of Knowledge aren’t giving levels, but a set amount of XP? If so, then using one on very low level characters would give more than 1 level. If not, then it seems, even if you were only 1 XP over the mark for a current level, you would gain a level.

Maybe it varies with level, always giving at least one level, but only enough to match the current XP amount, unless that would not be enough to level. I really have no idea, but no one has posted about a Tome of Knowledge not giving them enough XP to, at least, get to the next level. =/

Tome of Knowledge

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yeah, but so far I think we didn’t have enough of them to use 20+ at a time, so I wouldn’t have noticed. Now with lionguard badges and burning the rest of my PvP glory, there’s a lot more tomes out there.

It doesn’t make a huge difference anyway, but I do feel that if I use an item to “gain 1 level”, my level status bar should be in the same spot before & after the use, just the level number should go up.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, someone used 60, and they made it. But, I don’t know if anyone has used 78 at once to get to 80. You come out of tutorial at level 2.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

Yeah, I noticed that too when I burnt through my tomes on an alt today.

If you were to start at level 1 and use 80 tomes, you’d end up being level 78.

wrong

you can never get less than 1 level. worst case scenario, your exp % decays to 0, but once it gets to zero, you still get +1 lvl with 0% exp

also past lvl80 exp % decay stops, because past 80 you always need same amount of exp

kill all ze thingz

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Are you saying the Tomes of Knowledge aren’t giving levels, but a set amount of XP? If so, then using one on very low level characters would give more than 1 level. If not, then it seems, even if you were only 1 XP over the mark for a current level, you would gain a level.

Maybe it varies with level, always giving at least one level, but only enough to match the current XP amount, unless that would not be enough to level. I really have no idea, but no one has posted about a Tome of Knowledge not giving them enough XP to, at least, get to the next level. =/

I assume it works like other sources of EXP. You would not get more levels by using it on a low level character. Experience gain in GW2 is pretty much always percentage based. It is either based on your current level or some fixed level based on the source of the exp. For example dungeon completion gives 70% of your current level but mining is 0.15% based on the level of the area. This gives 100% based on your current level.

A lv1 would get 2,000, a lv2 would get 2,110, … http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience#Leveling_table

Edit: Actually I’ll just make a lv1 and burn one to see how it goes.

Tome of Knowledge

Khisanth.2948

So yeah it works like how I expected above.

0/2000 → 0/2110@lv2
54/2110 → 54/2379@lv3 → 1134/2379(exp from finishing tutorial at lv3)
1134/2379 → 1134/2674@lv4

If you make a new character and use 80 tomes in a row you would get exactly 4,860,359 exp

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

How do you ppl get so many tomes?
1 hour of play in LA gives what, 0.75 of a tome?

Tome of Knowledge

Khisanth.2948

You only get around 75 belongings per run? I usually get enough bags for at least 1 tome per run unless it was the heirloom run.
You can also buy them from the sPvP vendor(although that will be getting removed soonish).

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

You only get around 75 belongings per run? I usually get enough bags for at least 1 tome per run unless it was the heirloom run.
You can also buy them from the sPvP vendor(although that will be getting removed soonish).

Even if its a tome per run ( = 1 hour), people here are talking about 60 or 80 or those! wth! How so many?

…am I missing something?

Tome of Knowledge

Khisanth.2948

Even if its a tome per run ( = 1 hour), people here are talking about 60 or 80 or those! wth! How so many?

…am I missing something?

I haven’t done it but I see people getting 200+ alliance bags per run. So that is around 3-4 hours per day. As I said above you can also get them through sPvP as well and they also drop from the Black Lion Chests. There might have been a thing that gave 10 as a reward as well.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

They dont give 100% level, they give a FIXED amount of exp that it takes to go from 0% to 100%. If it takes 100xp to go from 1-2, and 2-3 takes 150xp, but you’re at 50% (50xp), you’re going to get 100xp, not 125xp. This is why the exp bar shifts to the left, you’re not getting a %increase, you’re getting a +increase.

Tome of Knowledge

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

…am I missing something?

Yeah, you can buy them with Glory from sPvP. Due to some bugs in the past that gave out liberal amount of glory, I know a few people with 150+ Tomes still sitting around after levelling a few characters 20→80.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)