Topic Title is too long (maximum is 45...

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: danizmax.4329

danizmax.4329

This is very anoying… can you ask an intern to add limit the input box to 45 chars?

IHMO this is a usability bug… if you’re asking yourself why I posted this here.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: danizmax.4329

danizmax.4329

No they haven’t, they just said this was intentional. I’m asking them to limit the input so that we don’t have to count characters by hand or try to post a message blindly… I don’t have a problem with the limit, just the usability.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh. Well, as no one can work on the usability of the forums, else they would have fixed them long ago, it may be a request that can not be fulfilled.

Good luck.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Yes, these forums are a disgrace for Anet, I wonder why they dont replace the forum software already

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I wonder why they dont replace the forum software already

Because they work. It would cost them some effort and money to update, diverting people from other stuff they could be working on.

And really, these forums aren’t any worse than a lot of other corporate websites out there. I almost always use Google (or friends) to search forums these days, the quirks are limited to cosmetic issues mostly, and it’s low-effort on our part to avoid them.

Sure, I’d like to see ANet use something better and, more importantly, that offers them better moderation tools and customization features. But I’d far prefer for those resources to be devoted to other aspects of the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Malediktus.3740

I would argue the people who can work on forum software are different people who develop games.
If they can afford wasting 200k on eSports then they should have money to hire a forum dev.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Agreed with Malediktus. I don’t think that getting someone to work on forums would be an issue. Also, I’m sure that mostly someone who would work with forum and websites isn’t the same who develop games in the most of cases.

And, that wouldn’t be much resource switched either, usually 1 to 5 people is enough to manage or fix a website, if they have enough schedule for that. If the schedule is tight then yes, more people would be needed but I don’t think it’s the case here (doing minor adjusts that doesn’t disrupt the workflow wouldn’t require a tight schedule anyway).

It’s just that we got used with workarounds and using it even with its quirks, but I’m sure if they could have got at least 1 or 2 people to do something here since, per example, the first report for broken search came out, these things could have already been fixed or another system been implemented. It could be a parallel and progressive work in background instead trying to do it “overnight” (a way of saying of course), that yes would require a lot of resource and effort.

I’m very aware about how hard a complex system is to maintain and fix, I work with these everyday, it’s just a matter of management.

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

Yes, these forums are a disgrace for Anet, I wonder why they dont replace the forum software already

Oh but they have, they use reddit. :^)

Malediktus.3740

Oh but they have, they use reddit. :^)

Yes, but I stopped using reddit (deleted all my accounts) because people abuse the downvote button if they disagree with you. Just a waste of time for people with controverse opinions.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Adding ‘maxlength=“45”’ isn’t exactly rocket science … I know there are at least two people at ANet who could make the necessary change in their sleep.

Anyway if you are really bothered by it you can use something like Greasemonkey to add in that attribute to the input box.