Unresponsive Jumping @ Dec 3rd Patch

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: TheNerdlyKnight.7035

TheNerdlyKnight.7035

100% can confirm this issue, it’s making Sylvari Tower a no go for me and my friends.

Kourosh Santagar, Elonian Ranger
Roereker Wolfspear, Norn Guardian

Posted by: Omnicide.8563

Omnicide.8563

All of my major interface keys are delayed or work a percentage of the time. This has caused a lot of time and money lost in a game I play often. If Anet can’t hire enough people to spread the workload out in order to output a quality product, I see no reason to purchase your products in the future. There seems to be no quality control by testing a patch or update.

Posted by: varonecl.4265

varonecl.4265

I have started noticing the schedule patch releases are just happening whenever with little to no planning. Apparently, get it all in and see what fails and what works. This patch needs to be rolled back.

Posted by: Varientex.5806

Varientex.5806

This is ridiculous, i had to leave the room to prevent myself from going berserk

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

…and add me to the list. Can we get a response from the devs that they at least are AWARE of this issue?

EDIT NVM, over in Game Bugs one of the devs said they are looking into it.

Posted by: Expunge.4926

Expunge.4926

How on earth did anything in the patch notes impact jumping?

Either GW2’s engine code is horrible spaghetti code beyond belief, or you guys made a change in a patch and didn’t put it in the patch notes.

“Fixed a bug that would allow users to “Spam Jump” to scale walls and other obstacles."

I’m doing ctrl+F on the update notes in the News and Announcements forums and not finding the word “jump”. Didn’t find it reading the post either. Where are you seeing this?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Posted by: wxkin.7904

wxkin.7904

its simple revert the game back to the previous state + publish the Change log.

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

They did this to prevent wall jumping, but it is affecting people in jump puzzles now.

Posted by: Gwendabell.8479

Gwendabell.8479

Ditto on the bug. I was actually worried at first that my keyboard was not functioning correctly so i changed keyboards and still had the issue. Came on here and realized that everyone is having the same problems.

And tonight I’m running a Jumping Puzzle event for my guild. Should be interesting. xD

Gwendabella 80 Human Mesmer – SBI
Guild Leader of [CaLM] Before the Storm
www.stormbluffisle.com

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

All of my major interface keys are delayed or work a percentage of the time. This has caused a lot of time and money lost in a game I play often. If Anet can’t hire enough people to spread the workload out in order to output a quality product, I see no reason to purchase your products in the future. There seems to be no quality control by testing a patch or update.

This about sums it up. Test your patches, ANET. A lot of “fixes” you think work just break aspects of your game. Greatsword Retaliation nerf, anyone?

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

its simple revert the game back to the previous state + publish the Change log we kill the Batman.

Fixed that for you….

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Ditto re:suffering from lack of jumping, GW1 days have returned
Tried doing waterfall one in WvWs & it`s been hellish, given up.

Edit: Southshore, same problem!
10 minutes for the Pearl Island one, LOL!
P.S. The birds at chests, they`ve gone?
/sigh

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

(edited by Fishbait.6723)

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

It’s not just jumping, the game becomes unresponsive during combat too! I’ve died three times now because combat stopped, no combat keys worked (1,2,3, etc.). Game is unplayable after this patch!

Posted by: Bad Wolf.1879

Bad Wolf.1879

Confirmed here, all 4
of my guildies (as we ran fractals tonight) had issues.

Posted by: Rebel Scum.6937

Rebel Scum.6937

Yeah, a friend and I just gave up on the metrica province one because of this issue. Please fix it ASAP, it was the most fun I have in this game.

Posted by: Arsenal.5043

Arsenal.5043

Just more of the same… I do the EB jumping puzzle daily in my sleep. I do the Dark Room with no torches. I spent an hour in there today and couldn’t get past the Dark room and it took me an hour to get there.

Say what you will, fanboys and manufacturer but this is a deal breaker for me as far as playing. I do jumping puzzles in PvE, I do them in WvW for siege, have to do them in fractals, etc.

I play for fun, not frustration. The appropriate thing to do is to roll back the code that is causing the problem and find some other way to fix the initial issue.

Please.

Posted by: SolarSpark.6729

SolarSpark.6729

Jumping puzzles are so to speak, impossible now. I’ve fallen 20 times at points where you normally would not fall. There is defenitely something wrong with the code here, ofcourse I agree we need to patch things that are unfair to use, but please first test “a build” the right way, as you’ve said in the presentations.

Hope it get fixed soon, because now its really a pain ramming your spacebar, hoping one of those 3 hits on it actually made you jump.

MangaFairy – Piken Square Alliance
[FG] Forsaken Gamers
www.forsakengamers.com

Posted by: Rake.7169

Rake.7169

this patch might be one of the worst ever :|
great, not only is TF2 broken due to constant crashing, GW2 ist in various important areas aswell (JP alot and currently play ele most of the time… YAy)
BUT JP are still possible after one adjusted to the bug, did all LA, both in Dredgehaunt and some other.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Wow I thought it was just me, I must have litterally hit my space bar out of frustration 20 times while trying to just get to the second jump puzzle (by going through the first) in the Sylvari map. As others have said the game seems to not accept the jump command right at that crucial time when you leave the edge and hit jump. It’s not something that happens every time but I was getting it often enough to annoy me and it seems to be at certain parts of jump puzzles in particular from what I remember.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

How on earth did anything in the patch notes impact jumping?

Either GW2’s engine code is horrible spaghetti code beyond belief, or you guys made a change in a patch and didn’t put it in the patch notes.

“Fixed a bug that would allow users to “Spam Jump” to scale walls and other obstacles."

I’m doing ctrl+F on the update notes in the News and Announcements forums and not finding the word “jump”. Didn’t find it reading the post either. Where are you seeing this?

Not there either. Looks like that page is automatically gathered from the forum posts, so that doesn’t surprise me. After reading the whole patch notes post, I think the reason for the missing info is finally clear. Bottom of the post:

(edited about 2 hours ago by Mark Katzbach.9084)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh btw I thought that falling deaths didn’t damage our armour was I wrong? I ask because I fell to my death twice in one of the JP earlier and got the messages saying that my gear was damaged. I was 100% certain that it didn’t get damage due to a death from falling………However I could have been wrong as I only just turned my “game messages” on in the chat box so I might have missed them other times.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Farron.5860

Farron.5860

Jump puzzles feel much harder now… char doesn’t always jump when moving forward, which means lots of stupid falls.

Edit: Now I see where the problem is

This fix probably messes with the jump mechanics (narrowing down conditions where the jump will register) which makes jump puzzles considerably harder.

The best way to deal with this is using an elementalist with the persistent +25% movement speed bonus trait equipped and pressing the jump button before you normally would (jumping earlier, and counting on the movement speed bonus to reach the platform).

(edited by Farron.5860)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Jumping puzzles aren’t impossible, but they are more difficult to time now. The skip-jump (where you jump to a spot and then immediately jump again) seems unreliable. But now that I’m aware of the issue, I’ve managed Troll’s End in LA just fine (true, not the hardest puzzle, but it does have 2-3 tricky jumps).

Still, at the very best this makes jumping puzzles more difficult than before.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

^ wrong

I get unresponsive jumps on a first jump when i havent jumped in a while.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

This about sums it up. Test your patches, ANET. A lot of “fixes” you think work just break aspects of your game. Greatsword Retaliation nerf, anyone?

I agree. How did they miss this doozy? Makes every puzzle more annoying.

Also, to back up the idea of testing patches better, my bird is a double bird now, for the double the power.

Do they even test rangers when they make these patches?

Attachments:

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

better fix this nonsense asap….. just fell to my death

Posted by: tsbuckeye.6953

tsbuckeye.6953

Same problem here… i have done the WvW puzzle about 100 times. I can fly through it… at least I could until tonight. I hope there is a new build soon. : (

Posted by: Atticus.7194

Atticus.7194

Same problem in Heart of the Mists, makes Jade Quarry very interesting (and annoying)

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

could you imagine doing the mad king’s clock tower like this??!!! 0.o

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

This made for an interesting jade maw run. On a handful of jumps transitioning from area to area, 3+ of my group all missed jumps because our jumps just didn’t work, ending up in a big pile of corpses.

Posted by: Caldoer.6078

Caldoer.6078

Experiencing the same issues as everybody else, non responsive jump. Doesn’t matter if I try the jump 10 feet before the ledge or even when I’m running around on completely solid ground, about 25% of the time nothing happens.

I thought maybe my spacebar was dying on me after I couldn’t make simple jumps for puzzles I had done dozens of times and didn’t even need to think about, but remapping it was the same so I searched and found it to be a common problem.

Hope this gets fixed soon, today of all days I decided to try and round up most of the jumping puzzles I hadn’t completed…

Posted by: Paelex.9370

Paelex.9370

This is a very annoying bug. I can do more than half the jump puzzles with auto-run but now I can’t even do the easiest puzzles >.> Luckily I have already done all the current jump puzzles or this would be far from a polite complaint :o Definitely hope it’s fixed soon if they add a new jump puzzle with the Wintersday event or it could get nasty….

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Yep. Jumping in our group ended up making a simple Fractal run a nightmare. The already poor jumpers were just that much worse off in figuring out the timing and glitch.

Our 5th member came out of WvW EB jump puzzle, and said no one could do it out of 20 people….

Currently, the game has so many bugs in so much of the content, I can’t play what I want.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Posted by: Carlie.3869

Carlie.3869

Same thing here, and I thought I just suddenly started to suck at puzzles.
The only solution is to tap space like crazy when jumping, but the hand starts hurting after too much of that

Posted by: glennyrd.1308

glennyrd.1308

I found out that smashing my face on spacebar doesn’t help it either.

Gilosean.3805

This is really annoying, and jumping farther back doesn’t do anything. Just jumping as I walk around also fails randomly. Seriously ANet, what kind of QA did you do on this patch? It’s an update to a major game mechanic, this should have been QA priority #1 for days.

The thing that really gets me is that it’s not even fixing a problem! I never saw anyone complaining about ‘spam jumping’. I can imagine it being a big help in some circumstances, like when a door is bugged out and we need to get to the top of it (like that dungeon bug you all just ‘fixed’). You didn’t even need to do anything, and now this unneeded tweak to a functional mechanic has messed up an major part of the game.

TLDR: If it ain’t broke, DON’T FIX IT.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

There was nothing wrong with jumping before… Nor was there anything mentioned in the patch notes as being changed.

Yet here we are with unresponsive jumping.

Because pressing jump and nothing happening as you plummet to your death on a really long and complicated jump puzzle is a feature not a bug.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Gilosean.3805

There was nothing wrong with jumping before… Nor was there anything mentioned in the patch notes as being changed.

Yet here we are with unresponsive jumping.

Because pressing jump and nothing happening as you plummet to your death on a really long and complicated jump puzzle is a feature not a bug.

They edited the mention of the change out of the patch notes. You have to go to the wiki to see the original patch notes. (Gotta love that open and honest communication!) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2012-12-03

Look at the last bullet in the General section.

My question is, why did they even think they needed to make this change? I’m honestly curious about what kind of decision-making process could produce this result.

Posted by: heathdeg.1603

heathdeg.1603

It is not the jump is unresponsive, it is the terrain. It seems that the new patch took stairs and uneven grounding as falling thus when running over them and jump, jump will fail. It happens most of the time when you move downslope and the way to get around this is to stay still and hitting forward and jump at the same time.

Carlie.3869

Seeing as the only way to accomplish normal jumps in puzzles now is by tapping the jump key like mad on every jump, I guess it’s time to go look for that piece of 3rd party software that emulates multiple quick keystrokes upon pressing a key once

Any suggestions?

Gilosean.3805

Keyboard macros?

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I tend to press and hold jump, and i am finding that this bug is really annoying when trying to do vistas where jumping gaps are involved. Press forward + space quite often results in you walking off the edge rather than jumping across the gap.

Posted by: Acx.9457

Acx.9457

Same here. Did 50 jumps to test, 3 of them did not respond. Doing eternal puzzle everyday. Now impossible to even clear half of it

Carlie.3869

@Gilosean
Regular keyboard macros don’t seem to be fast enough, need something driver-level or even kernel-level to accomplish this. Some keyboards have their software for this I suppose, but not all – mine doesn’t.

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Seems that this “bug” was “fixed” so that players couldn’t find other means to scale walls and whatnot to reach vistas and other locations that should otherwise be blocked off. Seems more like a quick hack fix instead of a thought-out and well-tested implementation.

Posted by: PlayerOne.6795

PlayerOne.6795

This calls for a rollback ANet! Admit it. We wont think less of you.
But till this is fixed i dont see myself enjoying this game,
and will therefore stop playing till this serious gamebreaking issue is fixed.
And i do love playing Guildwars 2, so please hurry up.
Dont make a new patch just remove the broken patch you applied so we can get on with it,
cant take long. And next time maybe test your patch before you run it live! Thank you.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Hell am I now supposed to buy all the blueprints I use up?
No way ! This needs to be changed quickly. Or I am quitting WvW and by that the game becomes obsolete

For that specific question, kill more people (NPCs also work)! I don’t know when it started but the WvW loot bags now have a chance of dropping blueprints as well. Got a ram and a treb blueprint from trying to do the monthly 2/3 days ago.

Carlie.3869

The worst thing about these kind of “fixes” is that it makes people go looking for alternative ways to simply enjoy the game normally, but what they usually end up finding along the way are actual exploits and bot programs, which in turn leads to the “let’s see what this does”, and it’s all downhill from there…

A good example of this would be the dreaded FoV issue that most game devs just don’t seem to perceive and/or comprehend. And anyone who’s been looking for a fix for the FoV probably knows how short the way to actual exploits like speedhacks is from it…

Just sayin.

Posted by: Chuckles.3754

Chuckles.3754

Thanks for the response Jason. I was hoping it was a bug and not a permanent quick fix to the WvW jumping exploit instead of working on terrain physics. Invisible walls worked fine in beta, but we may need more here aside from just “nerf jumping”.

Jumping puzzles have been painful, and this is just in LA with no threat of repair bills.

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Thanks for the response Jason. I was hoping it was a bug and not a permanent quick fix to the WvW jumping exploit instead of working on terrain physics. Invisible walls worked fine in beta, but we may need more here aside from just “nerf jumping”.

Jumping puzzles have been painful, and this is just in LA with no threat of repair bills.

Painful mostly because of the schizophrenic camera still.