wood chests dropped from mobs

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Dashrider.9360

Dashrider.9360

Q:

some people say they should drop a certain rarity item or higher, but i’ve only ever gotten grey and white rarity from them. Is it a bug, or intended?

I am not a number!
I am a MAN!
YOU are number 6…

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

A:

We’re looking into the chests appearing at the wrong times.

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

If I remember correctly there is a new way of how “valuable” drops display when they drop from a mob. I got the impression that valuable drops will be displayed as chest to loot but it is not the case.

On more than few occasions I saw a chest lying on the ground, looted it and got blue items or POROUS BONES while I looted named exotic (Anura) directly from corpses of random mob during Plinx event.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: Helenorz.2547

Helenorz.2547

Hi,

I made a thread in the general forum to see if anyone has the same issue as me: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/wooden-chest-loot-is-not-dropping-correctly/first#post1332591

basically, per the big January update, if the loot is uncommon and above, we will see it from the tiny wooden chest.

So far, at about 10ish chests, I’ve been 1 rare from the chest and the rest are commons and below, which should not be happening. I’ve gotten a common hood and a white pistol from the said chest, for example. I also double checked with a guildie/friend who is experiencing the same thing as me, while not receving uncommon from the chest at all.

Is the wooden chest bugged?

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

I have similar happen in WvW, but when I picked it up I got no item but 49-50 copper coins.

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

Posted by: Yareon.2835

Yareon.2835

I honestly don’t understand why you made this change. These chests are often hard to see (and easy to miss) because they’re tiny. What was the problem on looting the corpse of the mob?

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I don’t understand this change either. It seems completely unnecessary… just one more thing to load on the map. Not to mention, every single time I have gotten one, and the mob has dropped an item from each category, I have to loot the corpse AND the chest. When doing a farming run, I have actually returned to areas in which I looted corpses, only to find I left a chest behind. I have found this change to be nothing more than a need to button mash the loot key even more.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

I came here to post about these :

1) Patch message is unclear as to what rarity should be in these chests.
2) something seems to be affecting green item drops – I just went 30 minutes without a single drop.
3) either the chests are not always spawning OR loot stays on the mob because I have looted rare (yellow) items from mobs.
4) Chests appear very slowly, meaning they can be missed, and they sometimes also go invisible if you approach them having missed one [I’ve noticed this behavior at the grawls in frostgorge near Jormag – possibly related to the slow appearing environmental items?]
5) They are hard to spot – bigger and glowing would be nice perhaps with a flash when they drop?
6) I’ve gone to loot one and its either been empty or had a white/blue item within.
7) They seem randomly stop appearing.

While I appreciate the change, since it now says “OI! Something potentially valuable dropped” it does need tweaking as does the entire loot system if we’re honest…

Posted by: Bean.1247

Bean.1247

The chests so far have been disappointing for me, Grey white and blue items from the chests with a rare yellow on a corpse.

Sleep is a sign of caffeine deprivation !

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

I’ve had the chest drop for another player and be visible to me, which causes all sorts of fun.

I ran over to the chest and spammed the F key and it wouldn’t open. The correct person walks by, opens it, and it disappears.

I’m assuming I shouldn’t be able to see chests belonging to other players, especially in open world PvE where I wasn’t in a party.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Can you also make the chests more visible? I keep missing them as they are dark colored and small.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Questions:

1) Can we see other people’s chest? Why?
2) I got a chest in Orr and it contained a porous bone. Seriously working as intended?

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

It’s definitely NOT working as intended – rather the reverse, I’d say. I got 6 yellow items while farming yesterday and I got them from CORPSES. The ONLY thing I got from the wooden chests were porous bones.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Rhymzo.6720

Rhymzo.6720

Chests seem to work fine for me, and it’s great that you added them. I don’t know what others mean by chests being easy to miss or not being visible enough + that they spawn too slow.

All the chests that appeared to me come with a steamy glow, they appear the moment the monster dies, and they’re not easy to miss. Quite the contrary, example:
You’re in Orr doing Plinx or something, where you could easily miss some of the loot because of the amount of mobs or some mobs died in a rock or whatever. With the chests you just turn around and press Ctrl, and it’ll show it to you.
I really love this addition, but yeah, if they’re buggy for the majority of people, they need some polishing

Posted by: Xprez.7130

Xprez.7130

I have to agree with the ones saying it’s a bad thing. The chest are way to small and they take forever to appear. Either make them larger and make them spawn at once the mobs are killed, or just take them away and make it like it was.

Posted by: Dashrider.9360

Dashrider.9360

thank you for a quick response.

I am not a number!
I am a MAN!
YOU are number 6…

Posted by: LostInSmoke.2590

LostInSmoke.2590

When I heard about this, I thought it was a good idea. But I thought the chest would appear on screen, where the daily chest does. This would be the best fix, to prevent people from missing drops.

No one can tiny brown chests on the ground, at least it isn’t any easier. On that note, we also need an option to change the Mouse Cursor color and size. I spend more time trying to find my mouse in fights than anything.

Posted by: Lusive.5427

Lusive.5427

I think there should be an option in the settings to disable or enable the chest feature. People could choose whatever worked best for them, because so far I’m really not liking the new loot chests. I never had a problem with loot being on the bodies.

The change has most likely resulted in me missing a great deal of my loot because they are very difficult to see and some of the ones I’ve gotten have half the chest hidden underground. I’ve gone back to past areas only to discover that I’ve missed a chest from before.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

I vote, remove them from the game, why add extra features which arent needed. Looting from corpse was working perfectly fine…

Posted by: Melana.8345

Melana.8345

To add to the investigation:

• I had one with 94 copper and a heavy moldy bag. I wondered if the chest was actually mine, or if I’d looted a invisible corpse underneath it instead.
  • I’m also seeing other people’s chests – see a chest, get excited, then find I can’t loot it but another party member can. That’s super frustrating – it feels like the game just went “n’ya n’ya, tricked you :p ~~~”.
Despaired Ranger: Crafted The Dreamer, lost range, lost GS condi damage for synergy.
Pet AI awful. Sword root+Aussie latency unmanagable. Lost playstyle, lost legendary, given up.
Mell: 80 Asura Guardian (+7 other 80s) | Aus Serenity [AUS] | Jade Quarry

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I can understand the novelty of having the monsters you kill carrying their valuables in a chest that drops when they are killed. However, I would much rather just have a small icon flash similar (perhaps smaller) to the chest that you receive with your daily. This would remedy the having to look around for fear of missing a really good item, with the benefit of knowing your not leaving the area without well earned loot.

On topic, I received a rare once and a white once from the only chests I had received.

Posted by: Cauldron.1653

Cauldron.1653

Does anyone know what happens with the chest from completing one of the daily subcategories when you die to due to the chest being insanely hard to loot at times when monsters are still being fought.

I hitchhiked back to where I died and the chest was gone.

“Your subterfuge of incognizance will erode under my fulgent dupery”

Posted by: Obly.9243

Obly.9243

Honestly, if you put a chest as drop indicator in the game, apart from the mob looting when dead, don;t put useless green’s and stuff in it. The only rarity that should be in a TREASURE chest, should be rare and higher.

wtf…skyham….all is vain

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I agree, I really think they should only hold rare+ items.

I just don’t see greens as worthy of a chest over a corpse.

And if I may, can you turn the chests off until they’re fixed? I know it’s not the intent, since it’s a bug, but when I get a chest that gives me 2 porous bones it feels like the game is rubbing my face in the crappy drops.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Chest image may need to be made more visible.

One thing I’ve noticed happening a lot more, is the dropping of a small brown wooden chest. I got one off a Vet just yesterday and nearly fainted, that is the first time I’ve seen a vet drop a chest like that and that is an 80 (Which is probably a 150 for how many times it has rolled over) a 60 and a 30. One chest from a vet.

Today, I’ve seen 3 more of these chests, I swear I haven’t seen them prior, if I did it was extremely rare. Is this the chest they were alluding to dropping on Vets/Champs?

I honestly don’t understand why you made this change. These chests are often hard to see (and easy to miss) because they’re tiny. What was the problem on looting the corpse of the mob?

Anet may need to improve on the image of this chest, however, because yesterday afternoon in Wayfarer Foothills, a chest dropped off a vet from the “Protect Linnea as she hunts for the yeti” event. I was unable to interact with it but saw it sitting there right after the Vet image de-spawned after being defeated.

Two things came to mind:

• It was someone else’s chest and they failed to see it, or
  • It was mine and was bugged so I could not interact with it

Either way, I think the way it is not showing up very well is problematic. Now I know what I am looking for, I shall be keeping a closer look out for them.

I suspect what happened was point 1 above and that player just did not see it. The chest was underneath the body of the dead vet and it was only when the body disappeared that I actually spotted it.

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

Posted by: Nucko.5146

Nucko.5146

I too fail to see the purpose of these chests. Nevermind that they seem to be bugged right now and that may annoy some people. But why even add them? Is it the sole purpose that ‘people love opening chests’? Because if it is, then this is not a success. They are mostly annoying, you can miss them and they do not really add the ‘chest’ feeling. You do not really need that when killing mobs, looting the corpses was fine, better than this. It is simply an extra buttonclick that adds nothing, just draws away from the experience. They are indeed hard to spot and, since they actually are suppose to contain that valuable loot that you are after, just stresses you out. Ok, you tried it, it did not enhance the gameplay, actually the opposite. My vote is to remove them.

(edited by Nucko.5146)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I find them useful in that their spawning animation makes it very obvious when one has dropped, although I admit that in a particularly heated battle, you could probably miss it.

I think one way to make the chests more appealing would be to have them appear as ADDITIONAL rewards on top of what you can normally loot from an enemy. These chests always contain coin and a Masterwork/Rare/Exotic item, and they have a higher chance to drop from Veterans and Champions.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Just add some form of sparkle effect to the chest for better visibility. Next to that make it so chests will only spawn if they contain a rare or exotic item. Leave the vendor/salvage trash on the corpse.

No need for all these chests getting your hopes up if they mainly contain crap items that are going straight to a vendor anyway. So changing the behaviour of these chests so they only spawn if they actually contain something Rare or Exotic and giving them greater visibility by adding a sparkling effect would work out a lot better in my humble opinion.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Just add some form of sparkle effect to the chest for better visibility. Next to that make it so chests will only spawn if they contain a rare or exotic item. Leave the vendor/salvage trash on the corpse.

No need for all these chests getting your hopes up if they mainly contain crap items that are going straight to a vendor anyway. So changing the behaviour of these chests so they only spawn if they actually contain something Rare or Exotic and giving them greater visibility by adding a sparkling effect would work out a lot better in my humble opinion.

I agree that this would make more sense. Tonight when we finished AC path 2, as I was getting ready to leave the area, I noticed a “chest” sitting on the ground where the boss just despawned. Sure enough, it was mine and I would not have noticed it had the body not disappeared so quickly.

I actually thought it was a pattern on the floor for a moment. However, when I opened it, I got One Item that was blue. No coin, no yellow or orange, just a lowly blue item which, of course, my ranger was not able use.

I think it might have been a shield…but was not fast enough to take a screen shot to verify it. Whatever blues I got tonight, I just salvaged since they really are not that great or profitable to sell on the TP.

So I agree that redesigning them and restricting what they actually hold to yellows or higher, is a great idea (maybe even greens…depends on level I think).

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

They seem to work correctly for me but I almost find them harder to see than the normal corpse loot.

Posted by: Liliana Moore.4237

Liliana Moore.4237

I agree, chests are too small and easy to miss. Please make them bigger, brighter, with initial flash when they spawn.
Additional sound notification would be really nice when the chest drop on the ground, or make the character speak their “sweet loot” babbles. This would give us a clue to take a look around the ground for the valuable chest.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

I agree, chests are too small and easy to miss. Please make them bigger, brighter, with initial flash when they spawn.
Additional sound notification would be really nice when the chest drop on the ground, or make the character speak their “sweet loot” babbles. This would give us a clue to take a look around the ground for the valuable chest.

what ??
they are not hard to miss at all …. you want 6 Rainbow Unicorns running around it ?? let’s do this !!

Posted by: Liliana Moore.4237

Liliana Moore.4237

what ??
they are not hard to miss at all …. you want 6 Rainbow Unicorns running around it ?? let’s do this !!

yes please !

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I’m visually impaired (blind in one eye, poor vision in the other) which makes the game difficult enough for me as it is, I’m already at a disadvantage.. most of it because of how dark a large portion of the game is. Now I can’t even see some of my loot.. seriously. If the chests are sitting on a ground texture that isn’t really brightly or vibrantly colored, they aren’t visible to me at all unless I crank my gamma way up and that makes the rest of the game incredibly ugly. Not to mention, I prefer to play in windowed mode so it isn’t even possible most of the time.

I just can’t see them unless I stand there for a few minutes carefully combing over the ground like I’m looking for a needle in a haystack. It’s barely even worth it because I’ve never had one of the chests contain anything but blues and whites. Could you please change the chest color? Or get rid of them entirely? I’m not even sure why this change was made. I have the same problem with wvw bags, but even those are more visible than the chests.
I really hope this gets fixed and people with below-average vision don’t get shafted the way the color-blind did. They begged for changes, too, just so they could play the game like everyone else. Just a UI color changer, or AOE ground circles in a more visible color. They got nothing.

Also, folks who can see them just fine? Good for you. But not everyone can see so well.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

what ??

That would be AWESOME!!!

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

I’ve only gotten blues and greens out of these chests. If they fix this then champions should definitely have a high chance of dropping a chest.

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

they need to look into this more – still bugged. got porous bone from a wooden chest in Orr today

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Server reset in ~30mins so I don’t know if they’re gonna fix this problem in the 4hrs that it’s down, but I thought I’d add my experience…

In Orr they drop Porous Bones.. but in Frostgorge they drop Ice Stones. I have had a chest from Icebrood before which gave me a lodestone, which is my guess at what a correct function for these chests should be, but I can’t understand why we’re getting junk (and the occasional T6 material) in these chests.

More QA testing before patch release please!!

Attachments:

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”