Account Closures: 2 November 2015

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

You are assuming things here. I’m a developer and did work on security aspect a few very public software projects.

In this particular case, no, there aren’t “hundred other ways to uniquely track somone”. You cannot reliably track people, you can track accounts, network endpoints and computers. Who is using the said computer is for the most part unknown to the tracker (unless you get into some crazy stuff like turning on webcams and running face recog software on the captured images ^^).

Good. That means we both agree that “someone” in this context of account credentials isn’t a real life person, but rather the keyboard that’s used to enter them. Trying to argue otherwise, as was stated, would be arguing “my twin used my PC while I was gone” which won’t work irl or here.

So I have to ask; knowing that telling the cheat developer which account was banned tells him extremely valuable information about the cheat detection deployed, why would you not ban every account associated with this instance of cheating?

Because there is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way to determine it is the same person with 100% accuracy. Let’s put this in another way. Someone killed a person and the police just arrests everyone that was in the neighborhood and charged them with murder. Simply because there WERE in the neighborhood. This is exactly why they get false positives their method is faulty and not accurate at all. Why say people lie and put anet above that. Sorry to burst your bubble anet lies too, but you just argue the same thing over and over regardless.

Posted by: Inangelion.8645

Inangelion.8645

So I have to ask; knowing that telling the cheat developer which account was banned tells him extremely valuable information about the cheat detection deployed, why would you not ban every account associated with this instance of cheating?

It’s not a very valuable information though. Most people use just one account and when they get banned and they tend to let the developer know anyway… angrily. It’s very difficult to obfuscate such things.

Most cheats work by exploiting something that was not thoroughly implemented during development. When people are banned and the exploit is plugged, the cheat won’t work anymore. (generally speaking, if you can detect it, you can fix it) You can’t really keep this hidden from the cheat’s developer.

If we’re talking macros, in most cases, they are not developed as cheats but can be used as such. I don’t think Razer/Logitech really cares what Guild Wars’ macro policies/detections are.

Posted by: deltaconnected.4859

deltaconnected.4859

Because there is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way to determine it is the same person with 100% accuracy. Let’s put this in another way. Someone killed a person and the police just arrests everyone that was in the neighborhood and charged them with murder. Simply because there WERE in the neighborhood. This is exactly why they get false positives their method is faulty and not accurate at all. Why say people lie and put anet above that. Sorry to burst your bubble anet lies too, but you just argue the same thing over and over regardless.

Of course it’s not possible to determine who’s behind the keyboard – that’s what I said we agree on. A better comparison here is you have a 9pm curfew (representing the ToS). At 10pm, 5 people were at the scene of the murder. While only 1 might be guilty of murder, all 5 are breaking the law. And in Anet’s house and in the house where the keyboard is the person, all 5 get arrested.
Please do answer my question though; if you unban every single account because you can say it was someone else, what’s the point of banning or anti-cheat at all?

It’s not a very valuable information though. Most people use just one account and when they get banned and they tend to let the developer know anyway… angrily. It’s very difficult to obfuscate such things.

Most cheats work by exploiting something that was not thoroughly implemented during development. When people are banned and the exploit is plugged, the cheat won’t work anymore. (generally speaking, if you can detect it, you can fix it) You can’t really keep this hidden from the cheat’s developer.

If we’re talking macros, in most cases, they are not developed as cheats but can be used as such. I don’t think Razer/Logitech really cares what Guild Wars’ macro policies/detections are.

Ever used OllyDbg? CE? IDA? <insert debug tool of choice>?
No, most competent cheats modify something while the game is running from intended to unintended. Let’s say your jump distance and height is based off your character’s weight (which in the case of GW2 it is… just add a breakpoint for the well-known EPs on Havok). While the game is running, you use CE to change your weight to 1/10th of it’s value. All of a sudden you can jump 10x higher – or over the walls in WvW.
Can you validate all movement server-side? Of course. But only where performance allows, which is not everywhere and why cheats exist.

edit: so I, as a cheat developer, was told that the account that used CE got banned but the account that used OllyDbg did not. All of a sudden I know I should not use CE for all future cheats. That’s as valuable as valuable gets to me.

(edited by deltaconnected.4859)

Inangelion.8645

I think there might be a small point you’re missing:

Tyu did not share his account. People shared their accounts WITH HIM. This makes a huge difference.

Imagine a friend asks you to just log into the game for his/her dailies for a few days while they are away. You accept and help them out. New thing you know your main account is banned.

This is way too harsh! You catch a cheat? You can the account. You don’t ban all accounts that were recently played from that IP! I’ve worked at a game publisher before and this is a ridiculous policy to have. Imagine this IP was in a internet cafe or a PC bang. You’d be banning random people’s accounts. Or in this case someone who’s infractions are little to none.

I urge you to reconsider your stance here and simply ban the accounts you detected the cheats.

Why are you so intent on defending cheaters?

If someone has 10 accounts and has been caught cheating on one there’s a good chance his cheating on the other nine hasn’t been detected yet .. BAN THEM ALL is a perfectly reasonable policy.

I’m not defending cheaters. I’m defending a friend of mine whom I know does not use cheats. This sentence also answers why banning everything associated is not a good policy.

The current policy is basically this, from my understanding:

If an account that has used cheats previously connects to GW2 severs from a certain computer, then all accounts to ever log from that computer are forfeit.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?

Inangelion.8645

Ever used OllyDbg? CE? IDA? <insert debug tool of choice>?
No, most competent cheats modify something while the game is running from intended to unintended. Let’s say your jump distance and height is based off your character’s weight (which in the case of GW2 it is… just add a breakpoint for the well-known EPs on Havok). While the game is running, you use CE to change your weight to 1/10th of it’s value. All of a sudden you can jump 10x higher – or over the walls in WvW.
Can you validate all movement server-side? Of course. But only where performance allows, which is not everywhere and why cheats exist.

Look, I really do not want to digress and get technical in this thread. Most of the stuff you describe is fairly simple to plug once you have proof that it’s happening.

so I, as a cheat developer, was told that the account that used CE got banned but the account that used OllyDbg did not. All of a sudden I know I should not use CE for all future cheats. That’s as valuable as valuable gets to me.

You cannot hide such information from cheat developers if you fix whatever a certain cheat is exploiting. The scenario you are describing has no correlation to the incident we are discussing anyway. Banning clean accounts that are somehow related to a cheating account for the purpose of confusing cheat developers makes little sense.

deltaconnected.4859

And I am getting technical because I know it isn’t possible to “just plug it”. You say you worked security so you should know this too. You can’t hope to prevent someone from changing runtime memory, all you can do is ban whatever they use to change it. I also gave an extremely simple solution to the character weight edit: server side movement validation. Except that if you think skill lag is bad now, it’s no secret that adding MORE calculations will only make it worse.

Find me a way prevent me from knowing what got me banned and I’ll agree with there being no need to ban every account based on association.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I am not sure how people all got the idea that they’re determining account ownership by IP address. There seems to be a much simpler explanation: he said he bought gems. It seems eminently possible to me that 9 accounts used the same credit card and billing info.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Inangelion.8645

And I am getting technical because I know it isn’t possible to “just plug it”. You say you worked security so you should know this too. You can’t hope to prevent someone from changing runtime memory, all you can do is ban whatever they use to change it. I also gave an extremely simple solution to the character weight edit: server side movement validation. Except that if you think skill lag is bad now, it’s no secret that adding MORE calculations will only make it worse.

Find me a way prevent me from knowing what got me banned and I’ll agree with there being no need to ban every account based on association.

There are ways to implement server side validation that will not cause noticeable latency. Let’s please drop this though. It’s a discussion I care not to have here.

deltaconnected.4859

There are ways to implement server side validation that will not cause noticeable latency. Let’s please drop this though. It’s a discussion I care not to have here.

Skills need targets/locations. Locations need validation. That right there is latency. But sure, let’s put the technicals aside.

I’m still waiting for how you would prevent me from knowing exactly what got me banned to make all my future cheats (more) undetectable. Because as it stands, you would rather give the cheaters lenience and unban accounts that are in violation of the ToS which to me just doesn’t make sense.

Inangelion.8645

I’m still waiting for how you would prevent me from knowing exactly what got me banned to make all my future cheats (more) undetectable. Because as it stands, you would rather give the cheaters lenience and unban accounts that are in violation of the ToS which to me just doesn’t make sense.

As I said many times, it’s very difficult to obfuscate this information. What you are proposing not effective either while it has potential to cause headaches to innocent people.

Posted by: Lilshiroken.5814

Lilshiroken.5814

Trying to log in today my account has been suspended for a 2nd time. All I do is open the guild wars 2 client which came WITH the game and play….. What the hell is going on?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Trying to log in today my account has been suspended for a 2nd time. All I do is open the guild wars 2 client which came WITH the game and play….. What the hell is going on?

Have to make a support ticket. Link at top of page. If you already did this have to wait for support response.

;)

deltaconnected.4859

As I said many times, it’s very difficult to obfuscate this information. What you are proposing not effective either while it has potential to cause headaches to innocent people.

Which comes down to opinion. Personally, I’d rather be stricter on ToS and rest knowing that there isn’t a surge of cheaters in the modes I play (and the complaining that comes with it on both the qq hacker and omg unfair but not really ban fronts) because of the cheats that would be released as a result. If you played WvW and tried to catch the teleporting thieves and superman mesmers you might feel differently, and not be so sympathetic to people who break rules (however harmless).

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

what they should do is look for client side applications that are running, and refuse to run if a blacklisted application is running (there are various ways to validating this, some with checksums). if a blacklisted app is running prompt to close it or GW2 closes.

If a blacklisted application runs while the game is running, popup a 30second timer to close said application or the game closes.

The closure of the client can be done from the server, and the IP address can be on a temp suspension for 5mins so that users that are cheating and attempting to avoid a lockdown system like this cant rush the servers with attempts.

While they can proxy/VPN in, there are only so many IP addresses in use and with the 300k playerbase, maybe 3-5% are cheaters, those IP addresses will hit the suspension timeout.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

deltaconnected.4859

Modify CE’s kernel driver a bit so the signature doesn’t match the public one and recompile (it IS open source). GW2 will allow it and you can go ham on replacing whatever routines you want. I think blizzard tried this blacklisting in one of their older games, SC1 maybe, but I think everyone who’s played that knows how it turned out…
Basics of security here is you assume the game client is shipped to enemy territory and will be ripped to shreds no matter what you do. Everything of importance has to be done on the servers – and when validation isn’t feasible (due to design or resources), bring out the banhammer.

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

I went to visit my friend who lives in Sweden during the summer (I am in the UK). He only has one PC, and while I was there I logged in and did my dailies, then he logged on to his account later in the day to do his dailies. I’m now worried either he or I will have our accounts of 3 years banned due to this.

I did not share my password with him, and he didnt share his with me, and I used the account protection system – but we did use the same IP for the 3 days I was there.

Please can you clarify your stance on this, as he is due to visit me soon and we will need to ensure he does not try and play at all while he is here if this is a bannable action now.

Thank you.

Posted by: pandachan.4325

pandachan.4325

People lie. He “claims” to not own 9 accounts. Do you know him personally? Can you actually walk to his house right now, and log in on his computer because you are that good of friends?

Otherwise, it’s just claims. And everyone else really should stay out of it.

I’d request you read more than one line before commenting. My initial post advocated that he could at least receive some additional support from a GM that doesn’t say “we’re blacklisting any tickets made by you”. I’m not saying it should happen in this thread, quite the opposite actually.

And about your fallacious statement, let me restate your question. Why do you think he lies? Sometimes you need to have a little faith in humanity. I’m genuinly convinced that the guy has no idea as to what banned him. GM’s being kitteny in his tickets saying “you know what you did” followed with closing any tickets he makes is far from sufficient. He even said the GM could publically reply to his case as he doesn’t fear that he will be shamed by the outcome. If you’re at least putting those things on the table, the least that could happen is a senior GM giving it a final check.

Qugi.2653

I went to visit my friend who lives in Sweden during the summer (I am in the UK). He only has one PC, and while I was there I logged in and did my dailies, then he logged on to his account later in the day to do his dailies. I’m now worried either he or I will have our accounts of 3 years banned due to this.

I did not share my password with him, and he didnt share his with me, and I used the account protection system – but we did use the same IP for the 3 days I was there.

Please can you clarify your stance on this, as he is due to visit me soon and we will need to ensure he does not try and play at all while he is here if this is a bannable action now.

Thank you.

If you did not share account should not have problem. Even if friend do something against ToS on his account since do not share it will not show any relationship to you account ID. Only will show same IP and computer ID but account ID will be different and not related because do not share. What person in this thread has problem with is they share account with people who also cheat or person they share with share also account with person that cheat. So this leave a trail of account ID all show together related to someone that cheat. Hard to explain but hope it make some sense.

;)

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

Thank you.

If you did not share account should not have problem. Even if friend do something against ToS on his account since do not share it will not show any relationship to you account ID. Only will show same IP and computer ID but account ID will be different and not related because do not share. What person in this thread has problem with is they share account with people who also cheat or person they share with share also account with person that cheat. So this leave a trail of account ID all show together related to someone that cheat. Hard to explain but hope it make some sense.

Thanks for the reply. No, we did not share accounts, he has no idea of my login details, and I have no idea of his, we just used the same PC for a couple of days briefly. In fact he was out shopping whilst I was doing dailies.

Posted by: Radjan Majere.4208

Radjan Majere.4208

Since a lot of this discussion has focused on whether cheater’s multiple accounts should be banned, let me say I go with the “all accounts” move, if it can be sufficiently proven that they’re the same person, or if it can be shown that the other accounts are directly benefiting from that cheating in a way that doesn’t pass the “smell test.” I’m prepared to allow for a modest amount of discretion on the part of the game company.

Of course, we have to acknowledge that we don’t know what’s real here. Is this user’s story true? Or are they just working hard to un-ban their main by denying all connection to the others and hoping it can’t be proven? We can’t know. ANet has to have a better idea, because they at least know what they detected and how certain or tenuous the connection is between those user accounts. But they’re not talking.

I suggest that we all take a step back from assuming we know what’s happened, and focus instead on how what happened is being handled. As someone who was falsely banned TWICE for different things, I have some perspective here. I was banned for botting once (and I have done no such thing) presumably because I was farming solo in an area in the corner of a map while watching TV, back when farming bots could be found commonly in the game and people would run by and report them… The other time was for receiving a legendary via in-game mail from a guild-mate who had run a month+ long in-game contest for it. I got banned within 15 minutes of receiving it for “real money trading” as though I had bought it. I was able to sort that out by providing the links to our forum discussion of the running competition and appealing it, and they must have done the research in game or outside of it to show it wasn’t paid for. In both cases, justice was done, but I know too well the panic of being falsely accused of cheating and how hard it is to be forced to give up the game cold-turkey through no fault of your own. I wrote several messages that sounded like the ones from the OP.

ANet I think errs on the side of the customer in the eventual appeal, or at least has the tools to go back deeper and dive into things that prove or disprove their claim beyond the detection method, and I am grateful for that. However, my lone criticism from those experiences is how bad the communication is. You are told the ban is permanent, they’re sure, ironclad, they’re positive you cheated, no further tickets will be answered….. They tell you nothing or next to nothing about what THEY say happened, and go pretty much silent until they realize the mistake and unban you. (Or don’t, I suppose.)

There probably ARE cases where they have ironclad, lock-down, 100% proof, but nobody believes that message anymore because we all know they toss it around carelessly and then admit the mistake later… This company could do a LOT to improve its communication around these types of instances. I get that there are lots of reasons not to respond with details (because everything they say becomes the new point of argument) but it’s really hard when they KNOW false positives are a real problem.

I wonder about the OP being able to post too; I as I recall I couldn’t and had to have my wife post for me in the “tickets older than” thing. I also notice he’s been quiet awhile…. wonder if he gave up or he’s already back in game.

TL:DR; People cheat. They do and should get banned. Many will lie on the forums to wiggle out. Others get falsely tagged by mistakes. We can’t know which is which. Anet has to sort it out, and it seems they usually do, but their communication around that process stinks.

Qugi.2653

Reddit thread say that Michael Henninger head of support reopen ticket for this person and look at it. We will see what response is.

;)

Inangelion.8645

I wonder about the OP being able to post too; I as I recall I couldn’t and had to have my wife post for me in the “tickets older than” thing. I also notice he’s been quiet awhile…. wonder if he gave up or he’s already back in game.

He cannot post on the forums. His forum privileges got suspended shortly after his last message here.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, you can’t get much more senior than Chris, but if Michael is going to give it a look-see, as well, then whatever the outcome, no one can say the issue didn’t get reviewed…again, and again.

I was once banned, and I received the same messages. It’s disheartening, but they are there to discourage those that cheat, I’d guess. I’ve never come across anyone that’s posted on the forums that got those messages that didn’t get a reply.

The ‘head’ of the CS Team said they would consider changing the messages years ago…I’m not sure that’s something that will happen. But then, they don’t always action those that publicly confess to breaking the ToS/EULA, either, so it’s difficult to know what the outcome of anything that happens will be, anymore.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I am confused. How does someone that got all of their accounts banned, post on the forums anyway?

Qugi.2653

I am confused. How does someone that got all of their accounts banned, post on the forums anyway?

They get ban from forum to. Maybe Anet forget.

Tyu has informed me that they revoked his access to forums just now, so he cannot see nor reply, if he is logged in anymore.

;)

Posted by: Kraiz.6720

Kraiz.6720

I am sure you’ll agree that false positives happen EVERY time you do ban waves no matter how much you try to check.

Cheating on 2 of your 9 accounts got all 9 of them banned.

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account. I also don’t see the reason of multi-boxing, anybody doing that cant have a honest reason for doing so….. unless they are like some kind of super-nerd…. even still…..
Kuddos GW2 team.

I remember at launch all the dang bots running around stealing all the nodes from underground. That was annoying. Probably unrelated but i’m sure they were multiboxers.

(edited by Kraiz.6720)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I am sure you’ll agree that false positives happen EVERY time you do ban waves no matter how much you try to check.

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account. I also don’t see the reason of multi-boxing, anybody doing that cant have a honest reason for doing so….. unless they are like some kind of super-nerd…. even still…..
Kuddos GW2 team.

I remember at launch all the dang bots running around stealing all the nodes from underground. That was annoying. Probably unrelated but i’m sure they were multiboxers.

The log in rewards for one.

Qugi.2653

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account.

There is some person I forget name that brag all time about 30 account. They do for log in reward. Account easy make 40-50 gold month from use laurel for T-6 mat to sell on TP. When there was sale on account some people buy many. I do not think worth money but some think it is.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Kraiz.6720

Kraiz.6720

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account.

There is some person I forget name that brag all time about 30 account. They do for log in reward. Account easy make 40-50 gold month from use laurel for T-6 mat to sell on TP. When there was sale on account some people buy many. I do not think worth money but some think it is.

Ok yeah the log in rewards, still, some ppl need more exciting hobbies. I’ve heard good things about fishing…

Qugi.2653

Ok yeah the log in rewards, still, some ppl need more exciting hobbies. I’ve heard good things about fishing…

What is you point then? I explain why some people buy many account during sale. I hear things about not typing anymore.

;)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Kuddos GW2 team.

As was said here:

This is correct. However, if you are running multiple accounts and choose to cheat on one of them, we are going to close all of them. This ban wave had nothing to do with multi-boxing, but likely also impacted players that owned multiple accounts.

this is NOTHING to do with ’boxing so stop spreading FUD.

Posted by: Emin.9408

Emin.9408

Tyu here, on my second account because my main account still has forum suspension due to a bug (i apparently shouldn’t have been able to use forums at all after a ban but i could so they suspended me till the ban worked) although my ban is lifted.

I’ve been unbanned on both of my accounts, https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rfdmt/hello_reddit_it_is_me_tyu_again_i_had_a_post/cwpkpeg

This link shows the Proheals explaining what happened. I’d like to thank to everybody for their attention, support and comments as i did on reddit. And to Proheals ofc.

Please remember that just because i was forgiven, does not mean everyone will. Don’t share your accounts like i did even if you trust the people. That was my biggest mistake.

I know this topic is not mine to use but it has been mostly about me so i thought i should share the result here. Also for anyone wondering why anyone would have more than 1 account, it is pretty challenging to control 2 accounts efficiently and that let me enjoy farming more. Instead of getting bored and sleepy.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Kudos to ‘Proheals’ for going the extra mile for you. You are very fortunate but it speaks volumes for Customer Support too.

Pleased that you are not a cheater and welcome back to the game.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Good to see your back. Hopefully won’t you let others use your account in the future.

Posted by: paroxetine.2107

paroxetine.2107

I know this isn’t constructive, and i apologise for what I’m about to say,

But this kitten is better than jerry springer repeats. I couldn’t stop reading. FIGHT THE POWER TYU.9470

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Hmm the OP doesn’t appear to of come back to this thread for a couple of days now.. maybe ANET actioned that account as well.

IMO.. no smoke without fire and no matter how many desperate pleas and statements of “loosing my sleep, not eating my diner” ANET are pretty sure they have done all the necessary checks and have all the background info they required in order to uphold their ToS.
Guess players looking to multi-box, account share, buy hax, gold sell etc etc.. better make sure they don’t veer outside the ToS in future cos BIG BRUVVER is watching.

Bloodstealer.5978

Kuddos GW2 team.

I am guessing either dungeon boxing possibly using certain exploits along the way or nodding porting , maybe even gold flushing.. but we will never know unless ANET tell us (never gunna happen) or the player owns up (very unlikely.. even though they already admitted breaking the ToS)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^You must not have read the thread. He got his accounts back. /smh

Bloodstealer.5978

^You must not have read the thread. He got his accounts back. /smh

No I admit I got bored reading all the pleading going on and quit reading after for st few pages, but something didn’t sit well.

So yes gratz to Tyu for getting the accounts back, however it does show that ANET still seem to lack the fortitude to uphold their ToS as account sharing is a direct violation for these very reasons.. Tyu got lucky with some good will from ANET but bottom line both the account holders in question were breaking the ToS, just one of them broke it further by using third party software and in doing so got both the accounts flagged.

As to whether all of a players accounts should be banned when violations are found to of occurred on one or more of them… hmmm I can see the good and the bad in both answers.. but for now good luck Tyu and good luck ANET cos your goodwill is going to open up a whole new list of accounts to be re-reviewed in light of this.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or maybe not. Some other poster admitted to buying his account from another person in another thread; he disappeared for awhile from the forums, but was back later. Whether he took a break from posting, or had an induced vacation – who knows?

Still, I guess you can break the ToS and take your chances on whether there will be consequences. /shrug

Bloodstealer.5978

Or maybe not. Some other poster admitted to buying his account from another person in another thread; he disappeared for awhile from the forums, but was back later. Whether he took a break from posting, or had an induced vacation – who knows?

Still, I guess you can break the ToS and take your chances on whether there will be consequences. /shrug

Exactly.

Just like putting out policy stickies warning players of what is and isn’t allowed then sending emails out to players who see said violations and report it, only to say.. “We are not penalising for those violations actually”
So tbh I have no idea anymore what their ToS actually are or why they even bother having them them in place.

Posted by: kathairein.2906

kathairein.2906

Pretty much the same happened to me and my boyfriend (we live together). We both got banned on the same day, both made an appeal and both got shut down with the message they are very sure of their system and their decision is correct.

After exchanging 10+ e-mails with GM’s (some of them very sweet and helpful, some of them awfully uninterested in trying to even remotely listen to my plea or try to help) I managed to get my account unbanned and they apologized (as if that makes a difference after they point the finger at you and keep accusing you of cheating).

My boyfriend on the other hand, isn’t so lucky. They keep saying his account is rightfully banned, even though I can bet my life he never cheated. We barely even touched the game in the past months, waiting for HoT and then after the launched we both had a busy schedule at work, so we didn’t play more than 2 days altogether. On top of that he’s our guild owner and commander (we have a WvW guild), so he would never jeopardize all that the guild has invested in the upgrades (we are now lvl 13).

I just find it ridiculous that ArenaNet doesn’t even bother looking into the issue, knowing that false positives happen all the time, knowing that they just screwed up with my account. The only programs that my bf has on his PC that might interfere or get the account flagged are Razer Synapse and the GTA V Trainer.

Now 3 years of dedicated game play are gone for him, a lot of skins, possibly the guild has to restart, and he just invested 75 euros in an expansion and only got to play 2 days. I really wish his account got unbanned instead of mine.

GG Anet, top notch services <3

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Hey guys. I’m looking at these but they take a lot of time. I know it’s not what you want to hear but I’ll get to your case as soon as I can.

A lot of these ‘false positives’ are not false – they’re due to account sharing. Account sharing is bad. It makes you look guilty of things someone else did.

If you are innocent; you will play again. I’ll work all weekend if I have to.

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

Hey guys. I’m looking at these but they take a lot of time. I know it’s not what you want to hear but I’ll get to your case as soon as I can.

A lot of these ‘false positives’ are not false – they’re due to account sharing. Account sharing is bad. It makes you look guilty of things someone else did.

If you are innocent; you will play again. I’ll work all weekend if I have to.

You’re doing good work. Thank you, sir!

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I fail to see how is this a cheat though, if they’ve legitimately purchased 30 accounts…who cares. On sale, it’s cheaper than buying 6 character slots. They’re essentially their own guild. I’ve often thought of buying my kids their own accounts, then we can actually play together rather than them always using my account. Physically it’s no different and would appear the same on the ANet side…multiple logins coming from the same IP.

Where I see it becoming an exploit is with the free client for the base game, if you still get daily login chest, one could go out and sign up for a pile of free e-mail address and create a bunch of accounts that way, then siphon the funds to the main account via in-game mail. Agian, very hard to police.

Qugi.2653

I fail to see how is this a cheat though, if they’ve legitimately purchased 30 accounts…who cares. On sale, it’s cheaper than buying 6 character slots. They’re essentially their own guild. I’ve often thought of buying my kids their own accounts, then we can actually play together rather than them always using my account. Physically it’s no different and would appear the same on the ANet side…multiple logins coming from the same IP.

Where I see it becoming an exploit is with the free client for the base game, if you still get daily login chest, one could go out and sign up for a pile of free e-mail address and create a bunch of accounts that way, then siphon the funds to the main account via in-game mail. Agian, very hard to police.

My answer was for person that ask why some one would have 9 account or more. I did not say it cheat.

Also free account do not get log in reward and can not send gold or item in mail.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Michiko.2051

Michiko.2051

Hey guys, I’m here for my friend Miilanda.3905. She can’t login anymore in GuildWars2 (And also not the Forums, that’s why I made the post for her), because someone else used 3rd party software on her account. She didn’t know about this and is quite sad that she got banned. She got perma banned even she wasn’t the person who was wrong. (You can take a look at her IP address).

She sent multiple mails and she really love to play GuildWars, she already said that, if you guys would give her a second chance to the game, she’ll prove she’s not wrong.

I hope you guys can give me / her answer

Leader of Divine Knights of Balthazar[DKB]
Europe

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I understand that people’s accounts get hacked, but my question is if you are an active player how could you not know. If you try to log in twice, the client kicks you out and tells you if you’ve logged in from another location (This I’ve tested). Even if it didn’t wouldn’t you notice your assets, such as XP, gold or resources changing or am I missing something here? I’ve been playing 3 year and always know approximately how much of everything I have.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How did someone else get access to your friend’s account? Perhaps, she needs to peruse the Stickies above regarding Account Security, or the EULA (‘Legal’ link below) regarding sharing accounts.

Regardless, your friend needs to continue the dialog with the CS Team.

Good luck.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Never ever let other people play on your account .. at least not if you don’t sit
next to them when you maybe just want to show them the game. And even
that makes no sense at all now since F2P.

And no .. i wouldn’t even trust there my best friends, brother or whatever ..and heck
even my girlfriend used a bot for fishing in Ultima Online years ago

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.