Attempted Account Hack

Attempted Account Hack

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ShadyDingo.5720

ShadyDingo.5720

So I generally play in California. Always have, probably always will. I got an email telling my someone in China tried logging into my account and it needed me to deny or allow this to happen. As I click “deny”, I was denied the ability to deny.

Anyone else have someone logging into their account or trying to from Hefei?

Attempted Account Hack

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That means that somebody has your login account info. Change your game password immediately, and change the password on your e-mail account too to be on the safe side.

The hackers might have obtained your login info in a number of ways, but the two most common methods are:

1. You have a keylogger on your machine. Do a virus scan of your PC.

2. You are using the same login and password on a third party site like GWGuru or a guild website, and THAT website was cracked and all the login info stolen. (It happened once to GWGuru during the GW1 days, and that was how I got hacked back in the day.) This is why it’s important to use a unique password for every single site you use.

Attempted Account Hack

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

If you don’t click accept or deny basically right away when you receive those emails, it doesn’t allow them access to the account (it times out). So the good news is that you still denied them by not accessing it right away.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Attempted Account Hack

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

That means that somebody has your login account info. Change your game password immediately, and change the password on your e-mail account too to be on the safe side.

The hackers might have obtained your login info in a number of ways, but the two most common methods are:

1. You have a keylogger on your machine. Do a virus scan of your PC.

2. You are using the same login and password on a third party site like GWGuru or a guild website, and THAT website was cracked and all the login info stolen. (It happened once to GWGuru during the GW1 days, and that was how I got hacked back in the day.) This is why it’s important to use a unique password for every single site you use.

This sums it up very well. Please follow the suggested steps to protect your account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet