Client Crashing

Client Crashing

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gremlins.6290

Gremlins.6290

Judging by how quickly this post got replies, I’m gonna guess that it affects all macs.
So… I’m curious how a bug like this got past the mac testing phase of this patch.

Actually not all – there’s at least one post above that states a poster and her boyfriend use identical Macs and he doesn’t have the issue. My son’s machine’s the same as mine, and HE’s not having issues (or he’s blind, one of the two).

This is however much more widespread than most of the other issues. That said, while my first reaction was to blame their QA for missing such an issue, I can think of quite a few cases where they wouldn’t encounter the issue during testing, mostly because that might be related to server side issues, or a bad push to prod server of the patch files, etc…

Still, it would be nice to have some sort of planned ETA for a fix…

Client Crashing

Posted by: snowfaire.2781

snowfaire.2781

getting tired of this…

Yeah, me too. There’s nothing we can do about it though other than complaining and/or quitting game. It’s not all bad though, not being able to play GW2 frequently gives me more time to do rl kitten that I hate doing whenever the game actually works =).

Client Crashing

Posted by: EurasianXD.2659

EurasianXD.2659

I see a lot of people here are also having issues since the patch. Mine wont even come up with an error… It just freezes at random times and I either have to force quit or it just closes after 5-10min. Also, it seems to be more frequent when in dungeons. I can’t complete a dungeon without it freezing and having to reboot at least once or twice. Often it is around 5+ though. Anyone else the same?

Macbook Pro Early 2011
2.3GHz i7
16gb 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics 3000 512mb
OS X 10.9.2

Client Crashing

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

Heh I gave up on mac client I’m installing windows 7 bootcamp, I hate that I’ve been driven to this, sooooo kittened

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Client Crashing

Posted by: Last Sorrow.2937

Last Sorrow.2937

I’m just happy that I am not the only one with this issue, and that some form of – acknowledgement was given. It would have been nice to be given an ETA of course, but it is what it is I guess.

The biggest bummer is the sheer volume of lost loot. :’(

Edit** wow, profanity filter is very strict ^^ “okittennowledgement”

rMBP 15-inch, Early 2013 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB – OSX 10.9.2

(edited by Last Sorrow.2937)

Client Crashing

Posted by: AlphaDawn.9042

AlphaDawn.9042

Hey all,

Just checking in to let everyone know we believe we have identified the issue and we are working on getting it in the next hotfix. If this changes, I will let everyone know.

I also want to let you know that uninstalling/reinstalling the client will not fix this crash, so I just ask that everyone hang tight until we can get this fix rolled out to you all.

I appreciate everyone’s patience as I know how frustrating this can be.

-Matt

Yes I am “Still” having this issue … It is apparently very widespread … I have 2 level 80’s … My game Crashes every 5 secs to 10 min … Makes it impossible to play game … Tried starting a new character and it only lasted for about 10 min before crashing … Running on a late 2013 MacBook Pro 16gb 1600 Hz memory and Nvidia GeForce Gt 750m graphics with 2gb dedicated … Really hope that GW2 tech dept. gives more updates …
Matt please know :
Great game but basically unable to play because of crashing issues on server or coding end..
Thnx,
Ck

Client Crashing

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

In all fairness, the Mac forums recently have been getting more attention for Anet than I can recall since I started playing. In the past this place was more or less players talking to players with no “red” posts for months. I have probably been the most critical person in this forum regarding the way the client is being handled. It is refreshing to see attention from Anet over the last few months when there have been problems. Let’s hope this trend continues and support for the client continues to improve.

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Posted by: Dengonzo.1792

Dengonzo.1792

My game just keeps freezing Mac 4GB i7

Client Crashing

Posted by: Zamfir.8462

Zamfir.8462

This may be zone related, or asset related… it’s hard to say.

I was lulled into a false sense of security when I played for an hour in the corner of Fireheart Rise for about an hour with no issue (rather than a crash every 10 minutes), so I continued with my dailies and swapped characters to a new character in Metrica Province right at the main gate – and pow – less than 10 seconds and it crashed.

[edit] Wow, Metrica Province is bad. I can’t play for a second in the Asura starting zone.

One odd reflection on the crash situation: I need to force-quit the client a lot when it freezes/crashes, and I’ve noticed that the client is actually waiting for feedback with a dialogue box noting the c0000005 crash and touting an OK button… but most of the time it’s drawn behind a black screen where it can’t be seen or clicked. I only noticed it there for a frame or two when swapping out of the client to the desktop.

That’s not very clever or useful, is it?

(edited by Zamfir.8462)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

I crash a lot of time in PvP Tournament. Please fix.

Client Crashing

Posted by: lanshark.3108

lanshark.3108

Hey I got a different error message this last time it crashed, it said “TCMalloc” and then some numbers…

Client Crashing

Posted by: Fredikins.1624

Fredikins.1624

Can we at least have an update on when this hot fix is being deployed? or what’s it’s status? This is taking too long, around 20 hours since you realized the problem and more than a day since this started happening, about time i’m losing the patience you asked me to have.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Like I said in my previous post: Anet treats Mac users like second-class citizens.

Client Crashing

JustTrogdor.7892

Like I said in my previous post: Anet treats Mac users like second-class citizens.

Well it is getting better. I started playing in April and we spent the better part of 4 months or so just talking to ourselves with almost no red posts. I am seeing a difference in the trend here the last few months with increased attention to the Mac client from Anet. I hope it keeps up and continues to improve.

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

In all fairness, the Mac forums recently have been getting more attention for Anet than I can recall since I started playing. In the past this place was more or less players talking to players with no “red” posts for months. I have probably been the most critical person in this forum regarding the way the client is being handled. It is refreshing to see attention from Anet over the last few months when there have been problems. Let’s hope this trend continues and support for the client continues to improve.

I’m always including a link to this forum in my support tickets or bug reports when it comes to Mac issues, reminding them to take a look here now and then, or to a particular thread here that is related to the issue I’m reporting. I also see to it that a message is posted in the regular Tech Support forum to let them know things are happening in the Mac Tech forum.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Prins Lionheart.3182

Prins Lionheart.3182

Similar story. Started yesterday with the disappearance of Scarlet. The kitten left something behind. Running maces Maverick on new iMac 2013. No other games installed. System freezes randomly. Within a few seconds macos intervenes with a unrecoverable error pop-up screen. Error c0000005. Report sent to Arenanet.
Back to main screen. No reboot required. Can start gw2 again. And again and again….

Client Crashing

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

Guys, we need to have patience.
The client is is a Beta Status. LOLZ.

(epic fail Anet…)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Variessa.6503

Variessa.6503

I just wanted to add that I am experiencing this issue. It’s really made the game unplayable. I keep trying to do WvW and if I’m lucky I manage to run to the battle before I freeze and log back in dead in PvE.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

at least some people are getting an error message or some sort. My client continues to simply force quite itself. 8 times and not once have I gotten any error message of any kind. I used to get those c000000005 ones ALL the time.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Client Crashing

Posted by: Ravenger.9056

Ravenger.9056

So just curious.

There seems to be 3 different types of symptoms here.

1: Complete crash of computer to shutdown with no warning, usually within minutes of logging on, region irrelevant.
—-- This is what I am getting and, for some reason, I need to unplug my power cord from my MBP in order to restart.

2: Game Crashes with error message.

3: Game freezes and must be force quit.
——— My wife is getting this problem, usually occurs when running dungeons. Though she can sometimes over an hour with no problem.

So I am wondering how these are related? and what could cause these three separate issues to occur (or not occur) on substantially the same computers?

Client Crashing

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Yeah, the game crashing with no message started prior to this latest patch. This patch just dramatically increased the frequency of the crashing and introduced freezing.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Counselor Gott.4031

Counselor Gott.4031

I’ve had 1 and 3 happen, mostly 3. Oddly, I haven’t had any troubles at all today, but I’ve only been on for a couple games.

Client Crashing

JustTrogdor.7892

3: Game freezes and must be force quit.
——— My wife is getting this problem, usually occurs when running dungeons. Though she can sometimes over an hour with no problem.

I experienced this twice today during an AC run on my mid 2012 iMac. The screen just froze and I had to tab out and force shutdown. Fortunately, my party waited for me. I guess I was just that valuable.

However I did two AC runs last night and it didn’t happen.

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Posted by: smrtnik.6412

smrtnik.6412

My mac Freezes in PvE have to Force Quit !

Client Crashing

Posted by: Oogo.4083

Oogo.4083

I see a lot of people here are also having issues since the patch. Mine wont even come up with an error… It just freezes at random times and I either have to force quit or it just closes after 5-10min. Also, it seems to be more frequent when in dungeons. I can’t complete a dungeon without it freezing and having to reboot at least once or twice. Often it is around 5+ though. Anyone else the same?

Macbook Pro Early 2011
2.3GHz i7
16gb 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics 3000 512mb
OS X 10.9.2

i have the exact same issue,,,, i don’t get any error message just the character pause in middle of walking, or action or even dancing and then i have to force quit and reboot,,,,, it happens more often when i am in dungeon and also when i am not moving,,,,,it seems to happen less often when i am just walking around and farming …

mac mini mid 2012
Processor 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Coody.4076

Coody.4076

The screen just froze 10 seconds or 5 mins. I feel tired to play this kind of “restart” game.
Sometimes I restart the game because TP can’t use.
PLZ fix it .

Client Crashing

Posted by: MageIanBorthwick.3054

MageIanBorthwick.3054

Can’t play for more than a few minute sat time. This is getting old…

Native client would fix this.

Client Crashing

Posted by: MattChernicky.2945

Previous

MattChernicky.2945

Technical Support Lead

Next

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the delay in my posting today. We will be publishing a hotfix at 4:00PST that should resolve the constant crashing with the Mac client.

As always, if you all continue to experience this issue after the hotfix is live please update this thread.

- Matt

Client Crashing

Posted by: Fredikins.1624

Fredikins.1624

Finaly! thank you

Client Crashing

JustTrogdor.7892

Yea! Thank you!

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Posted by: midnightcity.1879

midnightcity.1879

Thank you for the speedy update ~

Client Crashing

Posted by: Zamfir.8462

Zamfir.8462

Considering that it needed to be identified, fixed, tested, built and deployed – this is great!

Thanks!

(edited by Zamfir.8462)

Client Crashing

Posted by: execullent.8560

execullent.8560

Yeahhhhh!!!Thank you!

Client Crashing

Posted by: Ookmanchu.9218

Ookmanchu.9218

Thank you for the quick repsonse

Client Crashing

Posted by: Ravenger.9056

Ravenger.9056

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

Client Crashing

Posted by: shakes.7923

shakes.7923

Get in!!! now i can stop ripping its head off!

Client Crashing

Posted by: balashark.9086

balashark.9086

It is happening to me all the time. Yesterday me and a friend were playing and we had to restart our computers or the game crashed under 5 minutes. If you can answer this; can you tell me when you will fix this? It is happening to my mac…

Client Crashing

JustTrogdor.7892

Since patch I have had no discos or freezing tested in 3 dungeon runs so far. Thank you.

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Posted by: Marcarus.5012

Marcarus.5012

Thus is still happening after the latest patch, although with a different error.

The error dialog has the term lockedRect.pBits

Client Crashing

Posted by: lakey.9037

lakey.9037

I guess the issue has been solved. I didn’t crash for about an hour so far. What about the others?

Client Crashing

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

going check it out let u know when i get back

Client Crashing

Posted by: chronic.9403

chronic.9403

Great job, Anet! Although the problem was totally solved quickly, haters gon’ hate. All they had to do was wait. I ran like 5 dungeons today. I got kicked a couple of times but nobody even cared. I just went back inside, wasted about 10 seconds. I didn’t lose any loot.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

This may be zone related, or asset related… it’s hard to say.

I was lulled into a false sense of security when I played for an hour in the corner of Fireheart Rise for about an hour with no issue (rather than a crash every 10 minutes), so I continued with my dailies and swapped characters to a new character in Metrica Province right at the main gate – and pow – less than 10 seconds and it crashed.

[edit] Wow, Metrica Province is bad. I can’t play for a second in the Asura starting zone.

One odd reflection on the crash situation: I need to force-quit the client a lot when it freezes/crashes, and I’ve noticed that the client is actually waiting for feedback with a dialogue box noting the c0000005 crash and touting an OK button… but most of the time it’s drawn behind a black screen where it can’t be seen or clicked. I only noticed it there for a frame or two when swapping out of the client to the desktop.

That’s not very clever or useful, is it?

To be honest I’ve noticed that with all sorts of client crashes, not just this one.

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

nice work Anet.=) play near 10 mins no crash. YAHOOOO PLAY TIME!!!!!!!!

Client Crashing

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

It does seem to have been fixed, I’ve played since the patch without crashing, switching chars, WvW, big events, for over 1h30min and it’s been stable.

Thanks for the speed on this fix guys.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

It’s almost been fixed. I just ran AC, which was fine. But then after doing to black citadel and selling my stuff and doing a little crafting. I was going to WP to gendarren fields… and the game force quite itself on me. I’m so kitten sick of this temporary band aid crap man.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Client Crashing

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

It is happening to me all the time. Yesterday me and a friend were playing and we had to restart our computers or the game crashed under 5 minutes. If you can answer this; can you tell me when you will fix this? It is happening to my mac…

Is it not possible to read anything in this thread? Even from the mods? You can see their posts as they are highlighted with red to make them more prominent. Check up on that to get all your answers pal.

[OP] Optimise

Client Crashing

Posted by: Mahkno.7593

Mahkno.7593

thanks for the patch! i was able to play wvw without crashing for a nice long period of time. however on “Exit to Desktop” the client froze with a semi-transparent black screen and forced me to restart my mac (this time i was able to control+command+delete tho).

searching “cider” in my Console i saw this again:

3/19/14 7:00:16.806 PM cider4923: SetFrontProcess failed! Err: -29298
3/19/14 7:02:05.389 PM cider4936: regapi failed: 1
3/19/14 7:03:54.000 PM kernel0: process cider4936 thread 361429 caught burning CPU!; EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Client Crashing

Posted by: Maeryx.9614

Maeryx.9614

It seems to be fixed now. I’ve played for over an hour without a crash. THANK YOU

Tarnished Coast – mesmer

Client Crashing

Posted by: Marcarus.5012

Marcarus.5012

One type of crash may have been fixed but my Mac is still crashing. This happened several months ago with these same errors. I am getting c0000006, lockedRect.pBits, and just now, dstBits listed in the error dialog. I am running OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)