Client Crashing

Client Crashing

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

One type of crash may have been fixed but my Mac is still crashing. This happened several months ago with these same errors. I am getting c0000006, lockedRect.pBits, and just now, dstBits listed in the error dialog. I am running OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Hmm, this was an issue during some of the many patches for the Assault Knights. Maybe they reverted a change during the whole LA LS that means it is broken again…

[OP] Optimise

Client Crashing

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

I played for just an hour and the game force quite on me. I’m still not getting any error messages.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Client Crashing

Posted by: DFassa.7981

DFassa.7981

For me this issue has been fixed. 3hrs+ uptime with no crashes. Thank you Anet for responding to this issue quickly.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Didn’t crash during some light leveling of my new necro and played for about 2 hours. I didn’t do any WvW (I’m pretty sure I’ll still crash there during bigger fights). So the crashing seems to be mostly fixed again.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Gufuu.6384

Gufuu.6384

+1 crashing here too. Crashed before but it seems worse now.

Ranger
Playing since headstart.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Kilamanjaro.1830

Kilamanjaro.1830

Yep I have the same issue since the day of the patch.

“Heroes Are Rare, Become One.”

Client Crashing

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s better, but still crashes. Crashed after about 1-2 hours of gameplay this time.

Client Crashing

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s fixed now – thank you ArenaNet! Don’t know where I would be without my daily 12 hours a day! Despite what other people might think, I think it’s a quick response to get fixed compared to a lot of other games out there.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Client Crashing

Posted by: Ravenger.9056

Ravenger.9056

Hi Matt,

Still crashing for me.

Within 5 min of log on.

Switched to WvW and within a minute computer had turned itself off. No warning. Nothing. Was re-traiting, and then ‘BAM’ computer off. I then unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in and got the start up chime, but no start up. Unplugged and replugged and the could start up as normal.

One of my earlier posts contained a kernel log, that someone suggested meant that there was a typo or a missed phrase in the coding causing the CPU to spin out of control (or something like that !!!).

Please let me know if there is any more info I can provide.

EDIT: on the CPU issue it might be worth noting that when I ran it in windows mode and checked the Activity monitor, the game was taking up about 180% of the CPU. I never checked this before so have no baseline to compare it to, but that does not seem either right or good!

(edited by Ravenger.9056)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Aigisthos.3059

Aigisthos.3059

You the man Matt! Great to see how quickly this was addressed and a huge surprise to see you on this lonely side of the forums. I know I speak for a lot, if not all, of the Mac users when I say that we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to get this fixed.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Michael.7129

Michael.7129

the problem i’m having with guild wars 2 is i open the client and i login and then i hit play and i just have a black screen i don’t hear music all it is, is a black screen and my mouse. the weird part is sometimes it logs me in and i have 0 problems, but most of the time i just get a black screen.

Client Crashing

Posted by: HLReality.4285

HLReality.4285

Hi Matt,
for myself still crashing. Tried on both of my Macs (MacBook Pro late’11 & iMac late’13). It gives you more time until it crashes, but it still does. It is mostly the ‘freeze & back to desktop or error code issue’ here.

Client Crashing

Posted by: AlphaDawn.9042

AlphaDawn.9042

GW2 team ,
I have played for about 4 1/2 hours since latest patch and I can say you definitely fixed for the most part the issue … Played for about 2 hrs on my new character and it did crash once after about 2 hrs of play in WvW … Then I have been playing one of my lvl 80’s for 3 hrs and no problems …
Thnx so much for getting in some coding solutions … You guys n gals deserve your props …
Ck

Client Crashing

Ravenger.9056

the problem i’m having with guild wars 2 is i open the client and i login and then i hit play and i just have a black screen i don’t hear music all it is, is a black screen and my mouse. the weird part is sometimes it logs me in and i have 0 problems, but most of the time i just get a black screen.

Try this post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Black-Screen-After-Start-up

Client Crashing

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

EDIT: on the CPU issue it might be worth noting that when I ran it in windows mode and checked the Activity monitor, the game was taking up about 180% of the CPU. I never checked this before so have no baseline to compare it to, but that does not seem either right or good!

The “client” normally runs at around 150-250% of the CPU for me. As far as I have been able to figure out from reading threads in this forum, it’s because it’s a cider wrapper and not a native client. Those in the know might want to correct me on this though.

Client Crashing

Ravenger.9056

Thanks Darksome

Client Crashing

Posted by: nurmoo.6984

nurmoo.6984

For now all work good;) Thanx a lot for fix it.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Lazarus.9716

Lazarus.9716

Unfortunately, I’m still seeing crashes with a different error message. See attached image. I did delete the ~Library folder after the patch as well, but that didn’t help.

Attachments:

Client Crashing

Ravenger.9056

Ok some further testing.

Before I start, however, I would like to make the proviso that the crashing has only happened since the 18/4 update. Nothing like this has occurred previously since purchasing MBP in August last year. The two events (update and crashes) seem to be too contemporaneous to be merely coincidental.

I don’t play any other games (at the moment) on my MBP, so was only getting crashes with GW2. I had played the Starcraft 2 and D3 demo late last year with no problems, so I thought I’d give them ago.

Started up Blizzard client, updated SC2 no problems. Began update for D3, got about 33% …. crashed … exactly the same as with GW2 … complete shutdown.

Power button wouldn’t reboot. Unplugged power, replugged, restarted, logged in … shutdown … unplugged, replugged, restarted, logged in properly.

Tested again. Opened blizzard client, D3 begins updating … 33% … crash and shutdown. Did not notice fans were going a bit this time, nothing crazy though, and base was (is) not hot (have observed it much hotter without problem).

So it looks like it is an issue not solely related to GW2. Perhaps overheating or CPU or something (not too good at diagnosing these things).

Will take it to Mac store tonight (hopefully, if I can get there before close now) to check.

Nonetheless, curious as to whether anything in 18/4 update would cause some thing like this to occur outside the game. As I said above, seems too contemporaneous to be coincidence.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

For those still crashing; 2 updates ago I was having severe crashes— the login screen would just have the background image and nothing else. Then it would either quit with the “serious error” popup box, or I’d have to force quit. Nothing seemed to help— deleting various files, reinstalling, etc.

But, finally I found that I had to start the client and play before turning on Mumble, which my guild uses for voice communication.

So try turning that off, or other programs you might have running, before starting the client, and see if it helps. Having Mumble on was somehow causing a Cider error.

And yeah, the real solution would be a Mac native client…

Client Crashing

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a look at the very top thread in here, ‘Basic Mac troubleshooting’, and specifically point 5)
That your Mac is having issues with other apps now that might be related to overheating could be caused by a faulty SMC setting.

Client Crashing

Naqaj.6219

But, finally I found that I had to start the client and play before turning on Mumble, which my guild uses for voice communication.

So try turning that off, or other programs you might have running, before starting the client, and see if it helps. Having Mumble on was somehow causing a Cider error.

This is a known issue with mumble, related to the overlay plugin. Have you tried disabling the overlay? Also, are you using the latest version of Mumble?

Client Crashing

Ravenger.9056

Naqaj:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Option #5 was one of the first things I tried.

Before I came to the forum boards I did a general search for Mac crashes that lead me to try that … to no avail.

I’ll try again however and report back.

EDIT: Tried that trick again of forcing a safe boot … crashed. No change.

Guy at Mac service centre has a feeling it is a hardware fault, something going a bit crazy and computer shutting down to save itself! Doing back up tonight and going back tomorrow morning.

SIGH …. Murphy’s Law, O’Reilly’s corollary …

(edited by Ravenger.9056)

Client Crashing

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

From what I’m reading, the update fixed the crashing issue for nearly everyone, and we’re so happy that was the case!

If you still are having crashing issues, I’d call those “user specific” cases and we’d like you to submit a ticket for those situations so our Technical Support Team can try to troubleshoot what is going on.

Thanks for your patience in waiting for the fix. Now, get out there are smite some skritt!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Client Crashing

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

From what I’m reading, the update fixed the crashing issue for nearly everyone, and we’re so happy that was the case!

If you still are having crashing issues, I’d call those “user specific” cases and we’d like you to submit a ticket for those situations so our Technical Support Team can try to troubleshoot what is going on.

Thanks for your patience in waiting for the fix. Now, get out there are smite some skritt!

Yes I would say most of us are happy about the attention this issue received and the quick response from Anet to fix it. Having a Anet presence in the Mac forum is very refreshing. Keep it up.

The Burninator

Client Crashing

Hollow.9758

I’m still having problems. To say this issue is fixed… is a stretch. I can just play for a longer period of time. The game still force quite itself on me. I think a good bandaid was applied, but the problem persists.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Client Crashing

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I’m still having problems. To say this issue is fixed… is a stretch. I can just play for a longer period of time. The game still force quite itself on me. I think a good bandaid was applied, but the problem persists.

Sorry to hear. If you will kindly submit (or update) a support ticket, I know the team would like to review this with you. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Client Crashing

Posted by: Lazarus.9716

Lazarus.9716

Unfortunately, I’m still seeing crashes with a different error message. See attached image. I did delete the ~Library folder after the patch as well, but that didn’t help.

Pretty sure my crash is unrelated. I had fiddled with somme of the graphics settings and hadn’t set them back. Now I’m running fine.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Queen.1867

Queen.1867

it still crashes the whole system last time it happened when many players where on the map, no error report for anet was created

Client Crashing

Posted by: Zamfir.8462

Zamfir.8462

I also am back to normal, so thanks!

I’ve been playing PvE and exploring today with no loss of functionality. Several characters, Trading Post, all seems fine. I visited WvW zones, but didn’t really play.

No problems to report here.

Thanks!

Client Crashing

Hollow.9758

Sorry to hear. If you will kindly submit (or update) a support ticket, I know the team would like to review this with you. Thanks.

Is this different that submitting an in game bug? How do i do that, I’d be happy too.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Client Crashing

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

For me this issue has been fixed. 3hrs+ uptime with no crashes. Thank you Anet for responding to this issue quickly.

This has been my experience as well. Today I left it up for at least 3-4 hours trading on TP sporadically – no crashes. I did NOT do any world events, though; so take with a grain of salt.

Better than release day, though, when I had a 60 second window before puke

Client Crashing

KarateKid.5648

The “client” normally runs at around 150-250% of the CPU for me. As far as I have been able to figure out from reading threads in this forum, it’s because it’s a cider wrapper and not a native client. Those in the know might want to correct me on this though.

Multiple cores… each is 100% – if you have 3, you can go to 300%. My Linux box has 8 cores, but corrects its math in aggregate total CPU utilization mode, or shows each core’s independent load if I have it report each one separately.

For historical comparison purposes – Post-patch, it looks like my macbook reports ~160% utilization spiking to ~290% opening TP, gem store, running around Rata Sum.

Still haven’t hit that awesome 300-some-odd% just prior to crash as per he bugged behavior.

Client Crashing

KarateKid.5648

Is this different that submitting an in game bug? How do i do that, I’d be happy too.

Read this sticky listed up at the top of the Mac Beta client forum (the parent to this topic).

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Submitting-a-Support-Ticket-for-the-Mac-Beta-Client

TL;DR edition: Go here, look at the very top for “Submit a Request”

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147936-Guild-Wars-2-Mac-Edition

But you’re gonna need the info cited in the first link I pasted.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Feydiir.2609

Feydiir.2609

lockedRect.pBits is an old issue thats been going on for some time .. the only way I have found to keep it from happening (and this is VERY ANNOYING DURING WVW seasons with 6 HOUR borderland queues mind you, getting in after waiting an hour or more only to crash to desktop and have to requeue is a massive pain in the kitten ) is to set your graphics settings much lower than whats is suggested by auto detect.

I have a thread here about the lockedRect.pBits issue

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/lockedRect-pBits-CTD-error-back/first#post3737364

Late 2012 iMac – 3.4 GHz i7 – 16 GB – GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB – OSX 10.11

Client Crashing

AlphaDawn.9042

I have had game start crashing again after latest patch on Fri. At first game seemed to be “Fixed” Although Did have it crash about 3 times … Now since yesterday eve. is has crashed about every 30 – 50 min in WvW … I get “Blacked out” areas around icons and or “Patch Work Quilt” Looking symmetry on map page when it is about to crash and only have secs to a few minutes before it will chrash when this strat to happen .. It has now chrashed over half a dozen times since late yesterday eve. There must be a way to solve this issue and I would encourage everyone to ask others to post as well to GW2 tech team so they can put forth greator effrot in fixing this issue .. Thanx players it is awesome gaming with you

Client Crashing

AlphaDawn.9042

srry for spelling … 4got to check lol

Client Crashing

Hollow.9758

I’m still having problems as well. I can’t go more than an hour and 45 minutes without the game shutting down on me, no error message either.

By Odins fine whiskers!

Client Crashing

Posted by: Felicja.6891

Felicja.6891

@Hollow: There may not be any error message that you see, but I am curious if the crash is recorded in the ArenaNet.log file. Since there may be historical crashes, you could try deleting the file and then once the client crashes again, the file will be re-created.

The file you are looking for is called “ArenaNet.log” and you can find it in

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2/p_drive/User/Application Data/Guild Wars 2

Alternatively, you could try launching the Guild Wars 2 client via Terminal.app command line and then potential errors may show up in Terminal.app. To do so:
1. Launch Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities
2. Assuming your GW2 client is installed in its default location /Applications type in the following in the Terminal.app (In case the formatting gets messed up by the forums, there are two dashes between cider and use-dos-cwd.):

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:/GW2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe

3. Leave the Terminal.app window open, while GW2 client is running.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Moctezuma.4012

Moctezuma.4012

Ditto on brand new iMac 27", 71 with 16mb and 780M from nvidia – it seems OK while soloing but as soon as i get to high population areas or any events it crashes

Attachments:

Client Crashing

Posted by: Felicja.6891

Felicja.6891

It may be much easier to figure out the cause of the crash from the logs…but I am assuming that turning down your graphics settings may decrease the frequency of the crashes.
What are your graphic settings at present? Try playing on “Best performance” and see if the crashes re-occur.

Client Crashing

Posted by: Compuman.3962

Compuman.3962

Keeps crashing. Got the error as shown in attachment.

Attachments:

Client Crashing

Posted by: Feydiir.2609

Feydiir.2609

If you are getting lockedrsptbits or dtbits try setting your graphics as follows and see if you get the error .. I suspect the “bug” is in the graphics rendering engine used by GW2 .. dialing back some of the graphics will help prevent crashes.

I have been using these settings for several weeks now and no crashes.. while its disappointing that we can not use the “auto detect” settings this makes life less aggravating.

(please only use the Advanced section in the shot below , the resolution setting you will want to keep at whatever is correct for your mac)

Attachments:

Late 2012 iMac – 3.4 GHz i7 – 16 GB – GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB – OSX 10.11

Client Crashing

Hollow.9758

@Hollow: There may not be any error message that you see, but I am curious if the crash is recorded in the ArenaNet.log file. Since there may be historical crashes, you could try deleting the file and then once the client crashes again, the file will be re-created.

Pardon, I was just trying to communicate that, before when the game would freeze/crash/force quit, it would give me one of a possible 3 error messages. But after the update on the 18th of this month. I have not gotten any of those error messages. Just the biggest major difference I noticed immediately with my particular client. However i admit I know nothing about programming so this is just my observation.
Currently have a support ticket submitted to try and get more help with the situation. I am still having problems

By Odins fine whiskers!

Client Crashing

Posted by: Queen.1867

Queen.1867

it still crashes a lot no matter if wvw or dungeons, even personal story crashes during missions without error message

Client Crashing

Posted by: ZDBioHazard.8246

ZDBioHazard.8246

I know this is the Mac support forum, but ever since the Escape From LA patch, I’ve been getting the ‘c00000005’ and OOM crashes every 40 minutes or so on Linux with Wine. I’ve been testing and bisecting different Wine versions from 1.7.11 (which worked excellently before) to 1.7.15 with no difference. Seems to happen more when I’m in a highly-populated area or when I change maps.

Just thought I’d toss that out there, since Cider is related to Wine, and to show that this bug is not 100% limited to the Mac executable specifically.

If you guys have to make a patch to the Cider code to fix this, please try to push it upstream to Wine so we few and proud Linux users can have fun too! ;D

Ara Daybreak [GT] – Charr Elementalist – Henge of Denravi

Client Crashing

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

After crash, I
1. was get killed, UNACCEPTABLE!!!
2. have to queue up wvw again waiting long long time, UNACCEPTABLE!!!
3. world boss has been killed already, lose chest, UNACCEPTABLE!!!
4. was moved to overflow, UNACCEPTABLE!!!

So much I lose because of the crashes everyday. I claim for my compensation.

Client Crashing

Naqaj.6219

I heard that if you fold your arms in front of your chest and hold your breath, you’ll get a response even faster!

Client Crashing

Posted by: Ferrein.4327

Ferrein.4327

I’ve been getting plenty of errors and crashes last 2 weeks:/ i hope it will be fixed soon

Client Crashing

Posted by: Goel.9127

Goel.9127

My wife is experiencing occasional crashes when playing her account on her Mac, all in WvW, even with settings very low.

She is running a 21.5 inch, Late 2013 iMac
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.9.2

80 Guardian
Founder, “Free Buff Movement” [BUFF], BG