Computer Shuts Down

Computer Shuts Down

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Get the latest drivers direct from your manufacturer, including any firmware (likely for the SSD) and update your BIOS. As a quick test, try swapping between wireless and wired and run GW2 from the HDD (simply copy the folder over). As a simple CPU test, go into the BIOS, find the CPU and disable hyper threading and limit it to only 2 cores.

If you’ve updated Windows, reinstall and avoid the Creator’s update, which has caused various problems.

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

It is indeed strange that no dump file was created.

Have you tried replacing the battery? Since the RMA stress tests couldn’t recreate the error, it is possible that there is an issue with your local power supply. Is your computer plugged into a socket-outlet that has overload protection? Because usually, PSUs shut your computer down as a mean of protection from overvoltage.

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: Sister Xing.9072

Sister Xing.9072

Have you tried working with the Tech CS Team accessed via the ‘Support’ link above/below? They may be able to help with your issue.

Good luck.

I have not, I thought I would ask the community first. I’ll head there if it acts up again. and thank you

Get the latest drivers direct from your manufacturer, including any firmware (likely for the SSD) and update your BIOS.

This was done when I installed Windows 10 fresh about 2 weeks ago

As a quick test, try swapping between wireless and wired

Thought about trying this as well, don’t have a cord long enough. I’ll buy one and test if it acts up again

run GW2 from the HDD (simply copy the folder over).

Already tried. As another side note, I installed GW2 32 and 64 bit clean, and downloaded the dat file probably about 4 or 5 different times and tried it on both different drives, and even from external drives via USB 3.0. Same problems occurred.

As a simple CPU test, go into the BIOS, find the CPU and disable hyper threading and limit it to only 2 cores.

will try this if it acts up again.

If you’ve updated Windows, reinstall and avoid the Creator’s update, which has caused various problems.

It was a clean install, and I don’t see the Creators update under the list of updates applied. Will keep an eye out for that.

Have you tried replacing the battery?

Not as of yet. The battery is internal. From time of posting, I can’t find a replacement to purchase.

Is your computer plugged into a socket-outlet that has overload protection?

Yes

On that note, so far I have not experienced a crash after setting the pagefile to be disregarded and reloaded on every shutdown and boot. (I restart my computer every other night.) From the time of posting, the problem appears to be fixed.

I will update if it pops up again. (after trying what was stated above)

~Edit 5/31/17~

About two days have passed since time of posting. Granted I have had little play time with my new job, however, so far all has been good.

I turned the group policy off, so windows no longer discards the pagefile on shutdown. It’s been like that a day so far, and all seems to be in order. Will update later with progress.

~Edit 6/3/17~
Just crashed again, guild wars triggered it again. Set the page file to be discarded on shutdown, that appears to solve my issue. Will update if it happens again with the file being discarded. Otherwise assume that fixed the issue.

Lalaith Nimdae (Nim), Level 80 Ranger
Sactum of Rall
Guild Wars community member since Aug 2006

(edited by Sister Xing.9072)

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Yes

On that note, so far I have not experienced a crash after setting the pagefile to be disregarded and reloaded on every shutdown and boot. (I restart my computer every other night.) From the time of posting, the problem appears to be fixed.

I will update if it pops up again. (after trying what was stated above)

If that is the case, you should do more extensive testing on the storage device.

You would want the storage to fixed under warranty in case anything happens.

btw, since you are discarding the page file at shutdown, i dont think it would be possible to hibernate.

Computer Shuts Down

loseridoit.2756

~Edit 6/3/17~
Just crashed again, guild wars triggered it again. Set the page file to be discarded on shutdown, that appears to solve my issue. Will update if it happens again with the file being discarded. Otherwise assume that fixed the issue.

Perhaps, you should manually install intel’s raid controller driver for you laptop. I dont know where is the driver

I heard that intel ahci driver is dreadful on windows so some oem does this ridiculous thing

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

~Edit 6/3/17~

Perhaps, you should manually install intel’s raid controller driver for you laptop. I dont know where is the driver

I heard that intel ahci driver is dreadful on windows so some oem does this ridiculous thing

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

Your understanding of the relevance of that post by MJG is off – it’s vaguely interesting if you want to run Linux (or FreeBSD or whatever) on one of those laptops, but it is completely irrelevant to anyone running Windows.

that is: nothing in that post says anything about what you should (or should not) be doing if you own a laptop with Windows on it.

I’d also encourage you not to suggest that some drivers are “bad” or “good” without much more specifically quantifying how you believe they are bad. It’s extremely unlikely that any potential issues with the use of the RAID vs AHCI mode for the device and the related drivers will make any noticeable difference to anyone who owns the hardware and runs windows on it.

Computer Shuts Down

loseridoit.2756

Your understanding of the relevance of that post by MJG is off – it’s vaguely interesting if you want to run Linux (or FreeBSD or whatever) on one of those laptops, but it is completely irrelevant to anyone running Windows.

that is: nothing in that post says anything about what you should (or should not) be doing if you own a laptop with Windows on it.

ummm, if you actually read the post. it mentions that the reason why lenovo disabled ahci support. Apparently windows ahci driver is not behaving properly on newer controllers and the proper raid driver needs to be loaded. It applies to all mobile Skylake systems since Intel change the power management again. Forcing windows to load the raid driver by disabling ahci fixes the issue. Linux was just caught in the crossfire.

I’d also encourage you not to suggest that some drivers are “bad” or “good” without much more specifically quantifying how you believe they are bad. It’s extremely unlikely that any potential issues with the use of the RAID vs AHCI mode for the device and the related drivers will make any noticeable difference to anyone who owns the hardware and runs windows on it.

The OP seems to be having problem with his/her swap file failing.

SWAPPING SHOULD NEVER FAIL.

If installing the proper RAID driver fixes it, then there are issues with the AHCI driver. If the driver crashes the computer, its crap. Hardware should just work.

Edit: I just want to be clear. If the os loads the driver to manage the hardware, there is an expectation that it should work. If it doesnt, it is crap on that particular hardware.

Either way, OP you should monitor the storage device.

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I’m having the same problem now.
Pc works fine, but playing gw2 causes my pc to freeze for 2-3 seconds and then it shuts of (fans keep spinning so its not entirely off)

Computer Shuts Down

Posted by: Texon.4590

Texon.4590

it was vbios for me as msi GT62Vr 6Re dominator pro laptob i download vbios for GT72vr and it worked for me after install it, even tho i take risk of download something else from another laptob model but whatever , no hard crashs and laptob reset anymore.

(edited by Texon.4590)