Deleted Unlimited Gathering tools

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

If you bought an ice cream cone from a shop, and you dropped it on the road, whose fault is it?

Yours, and almost all shops will give you a new cone. Especially if they see it happen.

Well kitten, I want to live where you live because where I live, you’re kitten out of luck. Even if they see it happen, shops here don’t replace it for free.

You’ve never been in an ice cream shop and seen a toddler drop an ice cream cone and have the shop replace it? Really? I’m glad I live here.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If you bought an ice cream cone from a shop, and you dropped it on the road, whose fault is it?

Yours, and almost all shops will give you a new cone. Especially if they see it happen.

Well kitten, I want to live where you live because where I live, you’re kitten out of luck. Even if they see it happen, shops here don’t replace it for free.

You’ve never been in an ice cream shop and seen a toddler drop an ice cream cone and have the shop replace it? Really? I’m glad I live here.

There is a drastic difference between a toddler and an adult. People will do things for young children and animals that they won’t do for other adults.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

It should fall under customer service and not be too much of a hassle to check if the customer bought said product and have a quick glance at his account to see if it still is somewhere in his inventory. Replace the item(s) with a remark that this is a one time courtesy replacement.

Really not worth angering a customer or having this sort of discussion on the forum.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, basically what many of you are saying is that the game should hold your hand for you, and treat you like mindless idiots. Alrighty then…

Yes. People are fallible, they occasionally make mistakes. Keep a list of the number of times someone whines or makes an error, if they cross a threshold you say no. Until then you try to keep your customers happy.

Yes people are failable, but they also realize that the failing is their own fault in most cases. It’s called personal responsibility. We need to take responsibility for our actions, and accept when we screw up. Not demand that businesses and large corporations make the decisions for us, and hold our hands like we’re incompetent.

Personal responsibility doesn’t come into it. It’s a question of whether or not you want to have an ongoing relationship with your customer. Some businesses don’t care. Gas stations (people have no loyalty) and car dealerships (purchases are too infrequent) come to mind. Other businesses want to maintain a relationship because it’s better for them in the long run. (Audible will let you return any audio book you don’t like. LL Bean offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.)

Let’s say I accidentally delete my unlimited mining pick and I ask for help, and ANet says “take some personal responsibility.” Fine, they can do that. But am I happy with ANet? Probable not. Will I buy the unlimited axe. Probably not. Will I tell people that ANet wouldn’t help me out? Absolutely.

If, on the other hand, I accidentally delete my unlimited mining pick and I ask for help, and ANet says “sure” and helps me. How do I feel about them now? I’m happy. I LOVE this company. They are looking out for me.

I did say that they take such things on a case by case bases, and that he should send in a ticket. I simply pointed out that they do not have to do anything should they so choose.

Accidents do happen. For example, you were dragging the pick to storage from your inventory, for some reason didn’t realize it wasn’t a ‘confirm to store’ but a ‘confirm to destroy’ message that popped up and clicked ok. Alright, it happens, send in a ticket, see if they take some pity on your foolishness. And it is your foolishness, because you didn’t read or what have you, and simply said ‘sure ok whatever.’

He deleted an entire character. You have to type in the name and confirm you want to do this. Its not quite the same thing. He should have taken the time to verify that he didn’t have anything he wanted on that character prior to destroying it. This is a planned action not an accident.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

How did you pay for them? If it’s credit card then contact your card supplier. Ask for a refund as you cannot access the items your purchased. That’s what I did, got my money back in 3 days. Credit cards are amazing things.

Don’t do this, if you perform a chargeback your account will be closed permanently and your credit card blocked from ever making a purchase from ArenaNet ever again.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

So, basically what many of you are saying is that the game should hold your hand for you, and treat you like mindless idiots. Alrighty then…

Yes. People are fallible, they occasionally make mistakes. Keep a list of the number of times someone whines or makes an error, if they cross a threshold you say no. Until then you try to keep your customers happy.

Yes people are failable, but they also realize that the failing is their own fault in most cases. It’s called personal responsibility. We need to take responsibility for our actions, and accept when we screw up. Not demand that businesses and large corporations make the decisions for us, and hold our hands like we’re incompetent.

Personal responsibility doesn’t come into it. It’s a question of whether or not you want to have an ongoing relationship with your customer. Some businesses don’t care. Gas stations (people have no loyalty) and car dealerships (purchases are too infrequent) come to mind. Other businesses want to maintain a relationship because it’s better for them in the long run. (Audible will let you return any audio book you don’t like. LL Bean offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.)

Let’s say I accidentally delete my unlimited mining pick and I ask for help, and ANet says “take some personal responsibility.” Fine, they can do that. But am I happy with ANet? Probable not. Will I buy the unlimited axe. Probably not. Will I tell people that ANet wouldn’t help me out? Absolutely.

If, on the other hand, I accidentally delete my unlimited mining pick and I ask for help, and ANet says “sure” and helps me. How do I feel about them now? I’m happy. I LOVE this company. They are looking out for me.

I did say that they take such things on a case by case bases, and that he should send in a ticket. I simply pointed out that they do not have to do anything should they so choose.

Accidents do happen. For example, you were dragging the pick to storage from your inventory, for some reason didn’t realize it wasn’t a ‘confirm to store’ but a ‘confirm to destroy’ message that popped up and clicked ok. Alright, it happens, send in a ticket, see if they take some pity on your foolishness. And it is your foolishness, because you didn’t read or what have you, and simply said ‘sure ok whatever.’

He deleted an entire character. You have to type in the name and confirm you want to do this. Its not quite the same thing. He should have taken the time to verify that he didn’t have anything he wanted on that character prior to destroying it. This is a planned action not an accident.

Yeah, I don’t think we’re actually arguing about anything… Sigh… off to troll up business elsewhere.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Let me expand on this, since people are getting confused a bit.

If you’re a responsible adult, and dropped your ice cream cone, it’s your fault.

If you’re an innocent child, and dropped your ice cream cone, it’s still your fault, but the ice cream shop will more likely give you a new cone. Why? Because a child wouldn’t know any better.

A similar situation applies here. New players didn’t know about, or understand the mechanics of GW2’s bank system. These players might have deleted a character with bonus items, thinking that they didn’t need to put it away in storage. Heck, one of the disconnects of new characters is that you don’t know where to go for bank access (outside of the free Bank Golem). Anet can’t recover deleted items, so they have to generate new ones, and mail them to the player individually. This is time consuming, and an exception to the rule. You get one “2nd chance” if your items are returned to you, much like getting only one account restoration.

Existing players should have more experience, thus the reason why Customer Support will not help recover deleted items. If an experienced player makes a mistake, they just have to live it it, and learn from it so it doesn’t happen again.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

Yeah… I had a guildie get dusk and then accidentally forged it. Player mistakes like this suck, but they happen and anet cannot be expected to remedy every single one.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Rouven.7409

If you’re a responsible adult, and dropped your ice cream cone, it’s your fault.
(…)

The fault part does not matter in business relationships (for the most part, of course within reason).

The cost of an ice cream cone is not worth not only losing a customer but one that might potentially speak ill of you (this does not have to be rational or related to the subject (of the ice cream dropping)).

That is why it is called customer “service” – this kind of “service” does not have to cost you extra.

Do I agree with you that it is the adults fault? Yes. Would I be mad about myself? Yes. Would I be extremely positive towards the company that rectified my own stupidity?
Yes.

So far in my … 14 years (?) of online gaming I only had two tickets, both times I clearly knew and stated it was my own fault and I am just asking nicely. Both times I had within reason my items replaced (could not name all of them in one case).

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

It would cost nothing to restore the items, it would be of benefit to restore them, good customer service goes a long way, bad goes even farther, value of customer happiness and the feeling that you have someone there for you who will help and assist if needed can’t be underestimated, on the flip side feeling as a customer even thou they can help with no cost to themselfs, they wont, this approach leaves a nasty taste in the customers mouth, with which they at every chance tell others.

I know which id prefer, if you had your own business would you choose?.

Smooth Penguin.5294

(…)

The fault part does not matter in business relationships (for the most part, of course within reason).

The cost of an ice cream cone is not worth not only losing a customer but one that might potentially speak ill of you (this does not have to be rational or related to the subject (of the ice cream dropping)).

That is why it is called customer “service” – this kind of “service” does not have to cost you extra.

Do I agree with you that it is the adults fault? Yes. Would I be mad about myself? Yes. Would I be extremely positive towards the company that rectified my own stupidity?
Yes.

So far in my … 14 years (?) of online gaming I only had two tickets, both times I clearly knew and stated it was my own fault and I am just asking nicely. Both times I had within reason my items replaced (could not name all of them in one case).

The thing is, scooping a new ice cream cone for one customer is pretty easy and goes a long way to give your business a positive vibe. Now take that good will you offered that one person, and multiply it by 10,000. Now take that 10,000 and multiply it by how many days there are in a week. Then how many weeks there are in a year. I’ll do the math for you: 3,640,000 ice cream cones in a year.

So if you can imagine 3/10ths of 1% of the game population making a mistake a day, and having to service each one, that’s a very time consuming ordeal. Even if it costs nothing to generate a new item, there is a cost of the Customer Service rep’s hourly wages to have to deal with not only that, but bugs, account thefts, etc.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

mesme.5028

(…)

Yes.

The thing is, scooping a new ice cream cone for one customer is pretty easy and goes a long way to give your business a positive vibe. Now take that good will you offered that one person, and multiply it by 10,000. Now take that 10,000 and multiply it by how many days there are in a week. Then how many weeks there are in a year. I’ll do the math for you: 3,640,000 ice cream cones in a year.

So if you can imagine 3/10ths of 1% of the game population making a mistake, and having to service each one, that’s a very time consuming ordeal. Even if it costs nothing to generate a new item, there is a cost of the Customer Service rep’s hourly wages to have to deal with not only that, but bugs, account thefts, etc.

Save yourself money by implementing a restore item function, making the customer happy and cut the cs rep time. so staff is happy with reduced work load and customer is happy also, its a win win.

Rouven.7409

All forms of customer service cost you as a company something. Obviously those people get some sort of wage. Lucky for the ice cream shop this seems not to be a separate position.

Lastly, if there really is no automated script for the service rep to check for these things, but he rather has to Matrix-like look at raw code … well then there is something else wrong.

If you can imagine I am well aware of what you are trying to describe to me above, it still does not count (for me) in this context.

Ultimately the less you hear about this sort of thing the better. How it’s done (I mean honestly there could even be a separate confirmation screen for each and every item on the character) that is another matter.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Save yourself money by implementing a restore item function, making the customer happy and cut the cs rep time. so staff is happy with reduced work load and customer is happy also, its a win win.

Or, just be more careful of what you do in game. Why should Anet have to code and implement a new service to do something that players can do for themselves?

OR… maybe Anet can offer a “Restore Item” tool (one time use), and sell it for 2,000 Gems each. Hmmm, something to consider.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

tl;dr @OP

With Gem Shop items u may (and should) have a chance, since Anet can check what u bought on the Gem Shop (with Gold or RL money) and then check yer characters if u still have it.

Send in an support ticked.

mesme.5028

Or, just be more careful of what you do in game. Why should Anet have to code and implement a new service to do something that players can do for themselves?

OR… maybe Anet can offer a “Restore Item” tool (one time use), and sell it for 2,000 Gems each. Hmmm, something to consider.

The reputation we gather along the way may help or hinder us in the future.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

There are LOTS of perfectly valid defects/omissions/problems to complain about in this game. Buying something and then throwing it away due solely to your own carelessness is not one of them.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Yea, I don’t buy it. All of you people claiming this tarnishes A.Net’s reputation, or “I won’t buy anything because of this,” etc, are full of crap. If something like this ever did happen to me, I’d send a support ticket in hopes of getting it replaced, but I wouldn’t understand it was my fault, and not blame A.Net, or “be disappointed in A.Net,” or QQ on the forums about poor customer service. This is not poor customer service, it is just the norm.

mesme.5028

Yea, I don’t buy it. All of you people claiming this tarnishes A.Net’s reputation, or “I won’t buy anything because of this,” etc, are full of crap. If something like this ever did happen to me, I’d send a support ticket in hopes of getting it replaced, but I wouldn’t understand it was my fault, and not blame A.Net, or “be disappointed in A.Net,” or QQ on the forums about poor customer service. This is not poor customer service, it is just the norm.

If it’s the norm for you well idk what to say, Personally if i was in charge of a-nets customer service, id want a service to be proud of, a service above and beyond what is considered “norm” id want cs advisers to take ownership of the problem and go the extra mile to ensure a good outcome increasing customer loyalty and repeat custom,
people talk and remember things, get good customer service and you can outlive a storm, if you go the extra mile customers notice and it pays dividends in the long run.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

After my case and how quickly it was rejected with a copy-paste answer, I’m never sending in a support ticket for something ever again. Players shouldn’t have to hold onto stuff that, on the off chance, may-or-may-not become account bound in the future.

Players like myself, that at the time needed to create a new alt and didn’t have enough gems to buy a new character slot, ended up resorting to deleting the character with the soulbound infinite gathering tools. A few months later Anet announced they’d become account bound for those who already purchased them. Lucky players, not so lucky us. Many sent in tickets hoping that the infinite gathering tools we rightfully purchased with our hard earnt money were quickly rejected with a copy-paste answer basically saying they won’t refund ‘deleted’ items, in turn, telling us it’s OUR fault. Well sorry but I’m not a psychic and I don’t have a crystal ball either. NOT my fault.

Also, I considered putting the soulbound infinite gathering tool into my bank BEFORE deleting the character, but I knew in my heart of hearts that even if I placed it in the bank and they somehow became account bound one day, I figured Anet would make it so that you have to turn those items into an NPC to make them account bound – and you can’t do that IF THE CHARACTER IS DELETED. And sure enough, I was right, it would have made no difference. I would have been at a loss anyway. Can’t win.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Rouven.7409

But what is so hard with this if there are clearly defined parameters? Seriously, let’s say a CS rep is trying to do this outside of the parameter (item still existed etc) it could simply be flagged and not automatically processed. The employee either get’s a warning or other duties.

From a practical standpoint I would say that the current situation is wasting more time for Anet. A percentage of those people will appeal, either through the official channel or PM some popular person here on the forum, another will make posts either genuinely asking or “venting”, which again results in more work (but different departments).

Well that is my general viewpoint. I think I’ve said everything to this subject that I have to say. I perceive Anet as a very fair and customer service oriented company.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Basically it boils down to 2 groups: Either you care about what products you invest your money into and intend to get your monies worth out of them, or you just don’t care about your money or quality service.

Not saying either is right, just 2 different philosophies in here.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

Your initial instinct before deleting should be at least to sell everything you have on that character that you don’t need first so you at least get a little coin THEN put everything else in the bank. Sounds almost too simple but it works for me. Even though I couldn’t sell my gathering tools (even though I have the BLT harvesting tools) I put them in the bank for other characters to use…I check all slots to make sure they are empty before deleting.

Also pays not to delete characters when you are drunk, tired or skydiving.

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

Well it looks like they can refund if they want to…note it Gaile says each case is different.
And the item was deleted not the character…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Many-thanks-deleted-gem-store-item

(edited by ShadyNZL.9018)

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

After my case and how quickly it was rejected with a copy-paste answer, I’m never sending in a support ticket for something ever again. Players shouldn’t have to hold onto stuff that, on the off chance, may-or-may-not become account bound in the future.

Players like myself, that at the time needed to create a new alt and didn’t have enough gems to buy a new character slot, ended up resorting to deleting the character with the soulbound infinite gathering tools. A few months later Anet announced they’d become account bound for those who already purchased them. Lucky players, not so lucky us. Many sent in tickets hoping that the infinite gathering tools we rightfully purchased with our hard earnt money were quickly rejected with a copy-paste answer basically saying they won’t refund ‘deleted’ items, in turn, telling us it’s OUR fault. Well sorry but I’m not a psychic and I don’t have a crystal ball either. NOT my fault.

Also, I considered putting the soulbound infinite gathering tool into my bank BEFORE deleting the character, but I knew in my heart of hearts that even if I placed it in the bank and they somehow became account bound one day, I figured Anet would make it so that you have to turn those items into an NPC to make them account bound – and you can’t do that IF THE CHARACTER IS DELETED. And sure enough, I was right, it would have made no difference. I would have been at a loss anyway. Can’t win.

Just so I understand this correctly, you had already made the decision that you were okay with losing the item. You then followed through with your decision to destroy the item. Some time later, A.Net decided to do something nice, by making the items account bound instead of soul bound, and you’re complaining that you couldn’t get an item that you had willfully, intentionally destroyed, back.

Also, yes, you can win. You can win by not putting an expensive, long term item on a potentially short term character.

Basically it boils down to 2 groups: Either you care about what products you invest your money into and intend to get your monies worth out of them, or you just don’t care about your money or quality service.

Not saying either is right, just 2 different philosophies in here.

I’m pretty sure I fall into group #3: If you screw up and delete an item, that is not A.Net’s fault. If A.Net decides on a policy of not reversing user error, that is not poor quality service. It is fair service. I can care about what products I spend my money on without feeling like I deserve to be treated like a 5 year old and have my hand held every step of the way.

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you’re an innocent child, and dropped your ice cream cone, it’s still your fault, but the ice cream shop will more likely give you a new cone. Why? Because a child wouldn’t know any better.

A similar situation applies here. New players didn’t know about, or understand the mechanics of GW2’s bank system. These players might have deleted a character with bonus items, thinking that they didn’t need to put it away in storage. Heck, one of the disconnects of new characters is that you don’t know where to go for bank access (outside of the free Bank Golem). Anet can’t recover deleted items, so they have to generate new ones, and mail them to the player individually. This is time consuming, and an exception to the rule. You get one “2nd chance” if your items are returned to you, much like getting only one account restoration.

Existing players should have more experience, thus the reason why Customer Support will not help recover deleted items. If an experienced player makes a mistake, they just have to live it it, and learn from it so it doesn’t happen again.

Let me quote myself since I explained it pretty clearly, but my post got buried. Please read the above for a roundabout way of explaining the situation of deleted items.