Free Trial Questions and Issues [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: intrepia.5983

intrepia.5983

A friend I invited for the free trial is unable to finish creating an account because he is being prompted for his GW1 password, which he doesn’t remember. I didn’t think it was mandatory to link the two accounts, but even if he claims not to have a GW1 account, he is told “A Guild Wars account already exists” and is only given the options of either linking the original Guild Wars account or visiting the support website. Any suggestions?

Cerylyn ~ Ceryela ~ Cerylse ~ Ceryena ~ Coraliya ~ Roseliya ~ Felisitae ~ Rylsa
Vintage Gaming [VG] | Attuned [Att] | Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] ~ Jade Quarry

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Will these adjustments to the server capacity allow older players to move servers? I’ve been trying to move to Tarnished Vale for about a week now and it’s always full and it will be nice if I could give my friends an answer on where we are going.

I do not know that we will change the “one move per 7 days” rule. But with the adjustments, that should be far less necessary.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

A friend I invited for the free trial is unable to finish creating an account because he is being prompted for his GW1 password, which he doesn’t remember. I didn’t think it was mandatory to link the two accounts, but even if he claims not to have a GW1 account, he is told “A Guild Wars account already exists” and is only given the options of either linking the original Guild Wars account or visiting the support website. Any suggestions?

Is it possible for him to use a different email address? I think that if he purchases the game later, he’d still be able to link the accounts, and in the short term that might be a solution he could try.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

If I sent a code to the wrong email address, can someone with a different email address use it? Or is a code permanently tied to the email it was sent to?

Posted by: intrepia.5983

intrepia.5983

Is it possible for him to use a different email address? I think that if he purchases the game later, he’d still be able to link the accounts, and in the short term that might be a solution he could try.

This worked, thank you!

Cerylyn ~ Ceryela ~ Cerylse ~ Ceryena ~ Coraliya ~ Roseliya ~ Felisitae ~ Rylsa
Vintage Gaming [VG] | Attuned [Att] | Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] ~ Jade Quarry

Posted by: ridma.3519

ridma.3519

does my friend be able continue his character if he made it during the free trial and then purchased the game afterwards?

Posted by: rhizokeel.2065

rhizokeel.2065

At first i registered using my invitational 3-days free play that my friend sent to me, after i registered, i can’t log on gw2 so i decided to use my newly bought cd’s serial code. Then i noticed while i’m playing, there’s a button at the upper left corner of my screen that says “Upgrade to a full account”. My question is, Is that okay? Did the serial code in my CD work?

Posted by: Helkat.6401

Helkat.6401

I sent a code to a friend of mine through the refer-a-friend email. Unfortunately, he has to work all weekend, and won’t be using it. Can I send the generated code to someone else, or is it permanently tied to his e-mail address?

Posted by: duckswim.7602

duckswim.7602

I also have the same problem, how to do?

Posted by: Brotonz.3517

Brotonz.3517

I have the same issue. I got an invite, signed up using the serial, but then realized the grace period started Nov 15. Decided to go out and buy a serial, which I did a few days before the trial period, and registered using the same display name and email address, got a second confirmation email (had one earlier from the trial key) with a new identifier code. Was able to play fine, even still, just have this annoying box in the upper left corner like everyone else that says “upgrade to full account” and I didn’t even get that free booster pack! Don’t really care about the booster pack, would be nice to get rid of that annoying red box though.

Posted by: Arohk.4159

Arohk.4159

Same problem here as well. Upgraded and have the box, and didn’t receive my pack. I also can’t invite people to come to Guild Wars 2. Everything else works fine.

I didn’t use a CD Key though. Purchased a Digital Copy today after the trial didn’t let me log in and activated it. So it can’t have timed out either.

Posted by: rhizokeel.2065

rhizokeel.2065

me i’m just afraid that after the 3-days trial, my account will be invalid.. i hope that it won’t happen xc

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

At first i registered using my invitational 3-days free play that my friend sent to me, after i registered, i can’t log on gw2 so i decided to use my newly bought cd’s serial code. Then i noticed while i’m playing, there’s a button at the upper left corner of my screen that says “Upgrade to a full account”. My question is, Is that okay? Did the serial code in my CD work?

I also have the same problem, how to do?

Sorry for the button, but it should go away in an hour or two. And thanks to those of you who purchased the game — we appreciate your support!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

does my friend be able continue his character if he made it during the free trial and then purchased the game afterwards?

Yes., he sure can!

This worked, thank you!

Oh great! Thanks a lot for letting me know.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I sent a code to a friend of mine through the refer-a-friend email. Unfortunately, he has to work all weekend, and won’t be using it. Can I send the generated code to someone else, or is it permanently tied to his e-mail address?

Yes, you may (but to avoid conflicts amongst friends, be sure the one person hasn’t already shared and the code is available. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If I sent a code to the wrong email address, can someone with a different email address use it? Or is a code permanently tied to the email it was sent to?

I think you’ll be ok. Give it a try and let me know, ok? As far as I know, unless the person on that wrong address uses the code, you can send it to the correct address. Unfortunately, if the code was used by the recipient, we cannot provide a new one.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Because I just know this is going to arise in a few new players’ minds, I’m entering “Q&A Mode” for this:

Q: Why am I seeing a “Upgrade to a full account” button when I already upgraded?

A: We apologize for the continued presence of the button, but it all relates to events, builds, and so forth. The upgrade button should go away about Noon Pacific Time (8:00 PM GMT; 9:00 CET).

Sincere thanks to those of you who purchased the game — we appreciate your support!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this post, but a friend of mine is having an issue with the free trial. I sent her an activation key last night and she went ahead and downloaded the game. When she enters that key, the game says it is invalid. I’m wondering if I was too late in sending the invite because the number of keys was supposedly limited? Thanks.

Posted by: Davies.4210

Davies.4210

Hi, I recently got an email about inviting a friend to play for free this weekend:

Invite a Friend to Play for Free
Your guest will receive an email invitation with a unique serial code that will allow them to play Guild Wars 2® for free between November 15 and 18, 2012. Our supply of free trial codes is limited, so log into your Guild Wars 2 Account to send your invitation today!

However it says the service is ‘Not Available’
Image here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/gw2s.png/

Just wondering how I can invite my friend, thanks.

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

When did you setup your GW2 account ?

Davies.4210

I signed up on the 07/11/2012

Zaken.1806

I would suggest you contact support then. I just checked mine and it’s working fine.

Davies.4210

I got directed here to contact support from the Guild Wars 2 facebook team.

Zaken.1806

Posted by: Doom.9814

Doom.9814

Hello
I have a brother and we both live together. Since there is only 1 account for 1 player, I mailed a free trial key to my brother’s email id and he can play the game using it. Is it by any chance bannable?
And from where can my brother upgrade to a free account? And is there any special offer or something if he wants to buy the key from the site?

Zaken.1806

@Doom
Playing on the same computer/IP is not going to cause the ban. Once the account is setup, you will see a “upgrade to a full account” button if he decided to buy the game.

As far as I know, there is no special offer but you two get to adventure together ( if you have two computers ) and have fun in Tyria.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this post, but a friend of mine is having an issue with the free trial. I sent her an activation key last night and she went ahead and downloaded the game. When she enters that key, the game says it is invalid. I’m wondering if I was too late in sending the invite because the number of keys was supposedly limited? Thanks.

I believe she is probably entering the code incorrectly. Have her try again, carefully viewing each number or letter, being sure to not add spaces, etc.

If she continues to have issues, please have her contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I signed up on the 07/11/2012

Is that November 7th? If so, you should review the trial information, which will point out that you must have had an account in good standing and activated by 6 November.

If that is July 11, please contact Support.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Windth.9675

Windth.9675

My friend is having issues logging into the free trial. To me it sounds like she forgot her password or is typing it wrong. She went to click on the forgot password on the client and it brings up a page that says Not Available. She goes to the website recovery to reset her password but it ask for a character name but since it is the free trial she has no character created. I told her to contact support with all valid information but now she panicking cause support with things are known to take days for a reply and the trial ends Nov 18th. So, here I am posting to assure and calm her.

She [chanlycabbage.2739] says this is happening…

I’m using my email address as account name
using the typical password as password
clicking login
“The Account Name of password you entered is invalid. Please check your information and try again.

(edited by Windth.9675)

Posted by: Espio Auraforce.1497

Espio Auraforce.1497

Dear Arenanet.

First of all : thanks for this opportunity so my friend can see this awesome game!

Now, 1 of my friends has a problem trying to conect to the server. He was able to download the launcher 2 days ago i think (as soon as it was available). When he opens it he just gets the error : conection failed! please check your internet connection and try again.
He knows it’s not because of his internet itself because he is able to log on into facebook, watch youtube vids and other things :P.

Here is a screenshot of what he sees. http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2750/gw2l.jpg

Hope i provided enough information and u guys are able to help ^^

lots of thanks

Espio

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Hello
I have a brother and we both live together. Since there is only 1 account for 1 player, I mailed a free trial key to my brother’s email id and he can play the game using it. Is it by any chance bannable?
And from where can my brother upgrade to a free account? And is there any special offer or something if he wants to buy the key from the site?

No problem playing from the same IP or the same computer, as long as you have separate accounts. (Sharing accounts is prohibited.)

The trial has a “Upgrade to full account” button which your brother can click to get into the purchase page. There is a special offer for those who upgrade; more details in our FAQ, here: https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9268/kw/trial

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

My friend is having issues logging into the free trial. To me it sounds like she forgot her password or is typing it wrong. She went to click on the forgot password on the client and it brings up a page that says Not Available. She goes to the website recovery to reset her password but it ask for a character name but since it is the free trial she has no character created. I told her to contact support with all valid information but now she panicking cause support with things are known to take days for a reply and the trial ends Nov 18th. So, here I am posting to assure and calm her.

clicking login
“The Account Name of password you entered is invalid. Please check your information and try again.

The only way to get help on this is to continue to discuss with Support. However, I suspect your friend has a Guild Wars account, and it is that character they’re asking about — any character name associated with her GW account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Windth.9675

Windth.9675

clicking login

The only way to get help on this is to continue to discuss with Support. However, I suspect your friend has a Guild Wars account, and it is that character they’re asking about — any character name associated with her GW account.

I figured and this is what I told her but that’s for your quick reply!

Posted by: Doom.9814

Doom.9814

Hello

No problem playing from the same IP or the same computer, as long as you have separate accounts. (Sharing accounts is prohibited.)

The trial has a “Upgrade to full account” button which your brother can click to get into the purchase page. There is a special offer for those who upgrade; more details in our FAQ, here: https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9268/kw/trial

I was hoping for some cash incentives for the next account…. But anyways, after the expiry of the trial key, can you buy a retail key after some time and continue the progress in your account?

(edited by Doom.9814)

Posted by: Rhiannon.8637

Rhiannon.8637

So because I bought the game on the 9th I am not allowed to entice my friends and guildmates in WoW to jump ship? Because I got a couple who are curious but not enough to spend 60 bucks on a game sight unseen so early in its release.

I am really not sure the logic behind that because I know at least one of my 3 invites was going to be buying, because I was going to buy it for her as a gift once she had a chance to check it out.

Posted by: Paul.5320

Paul.5320

A friend invited for the free trial is unable to play because:

“you have not applied a retail serial code to your account and the grace period has ended.
until you apply a retail serial code, you will be unable to continue playing GW2.
please visit the retailer where you pre-purchased or pre-ordered GW2 to obtain your retail serial code”

Why?

Posted by: highpielliot.5713

highpielliot.5713

I gave a code to my friend and he is going to be playing during the trial, im am just curious if my friends account will deactivated meaning that he will lose all of his characters if her were to get the game after the trial.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

A friend invited for the free trial is unable to play because:

“you have not applied a retail serial code to your account and the grace period has ended.
until you apply a retail serial code, you will be unable to continue playing GW2.
please visit the retailer where you pre-purchased or pre-ordered GW2 to obtain your retail serial code”

Why?

I think that’s the message that should really say “The grace period hasn’t started yet.” You can set up a trial account now and download the client, but can’t apply the code just yet.

Previous

Gaile Gray

I gave a code to my friend and he is going to be playing during the trial, im am just curious if my friends account will deactivated meaning that he will lose all of his characters if her were to get the game after the trial.

If your friend upgrades to the full game, he’ll be able to continue playing on his existing characters. Basically, he’ll simply unlock the game and continue.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I believe she is probably entering the code incorrectly. Have her try again, carefully viewing each number or letter, being sure to not add spaces, etc.

If she continues to have issues, please have her contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.

She submitted a support ticket and they said that the problem was occurring because she tried to log in before the trial period started. However, she just tried again and is still unable to log in.

Posted by: Bunni.9245

Bunni.9245

I sent my daughter a free trial invite. She registered the key, downloaded last night. Today she tried to login, and is getting:

“The Account Name or password you entered is invalid. Please check your information and try again.

She’s tried several times. She can’t reset her password, as the page for doing so requires a character name and she doesn’t have one yet. She has never played GW or GW2.

We did submit a ticket, but like another poster, we’re concerned by the time this is resolved, the trial will be over.

I’m not sure what else we can do.

Posted by: RedDeath.2980

RedDeath.2980

I was able to invite a friend and when he tried the code he says it is already in use. How can he log in when the code provided is faulty?

Posted by: Bunni.9245

Bunni.9245

Well that was wonderfully quick! Support just emailed her back and reset her password for her! Thanks so much, awesome service!

Posted by: Drago.2937

Drago.2937

Hi,
My friend installed the game and everything but when she clicks on the link to activate the trial, a page saying the website is unavailable pops up.
Anyone know whats up?

Posted by: Caladrius.6594

Caladrius.6594

I got a few people asking me for a serial today, but when I try to go to the page to send them a code it says “Not available”. I have had an account since august and already send out a free trial code yesterday. Is it by any chance that there will be no more codes sent out now that the event has started or that you are out of codes… or is this simply a bug?

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

How do i add a retail cd-key to a trial account?

In game it asks for cc or paypal,but i already bought my lad the game.
So how do i add the retail cd-key to his trial account?

Posted by: Charlie.5680

Charlie.5680

I was able to invite a friend and when he tried the code he says it is already in use. How can he log in when the code provided is faulty?

One of my friends is having the same trouble. He already downloaded the client and the game tells him the code has already been used.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Can someone confirm this.

My lads playing on a trial account.
if i go here https://register.guildwars2.com and re add his retail cd-key will that work with the trial account he is using.

I’v asked three times about adding a retail cd-key in this part of the forum and still getting ignored.

Posted by: SirNuX.2371

SirNuX.2371

I sent my daughter a free trial invite. She registered the key, downloaded last night. Today she tried to login, and is getting:

“The Account Name or password you entered is invalid. Please check your information and try again.

She’s tried several times. She can’t reset her password, as the page for doing so requires a character name and she doesn’t have one yet. She has never played GW or GW2.

We did submit a ticket, but like another poster, we’re concerned by the time this is resolved, the trial will be over.

I’m not sure what else we can do.

My friend had this issue as well, then I looked at my client and saw my email at the username bar. I told him to try his email on the client and it worked. Try that

Yurkov – Necromancer – 80
Roma Yurkov – Warrior – 65
[DIE] Dragons In Exile – Far Shiverpeaks