Game doesn't work in fullscreen mode

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xaros.1584

Xaros.1584

Ok so let’s start from begining. I was playing GW2 yeasterday (16.03.2015). Suddenly I saw info about new build and i’ll be logged out in 1h. So i turn of game, downloaded new patch and when i press PLAY i got something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlBpaaEpOk

I could use only mouse. You hear music from game but all freeze and ALT+F4 doesn’t work, CTRL+ALT+DEL same. Only reset works but…
I was so angry about that patch. I saw on forum that so many ppl got same problem as I. If you’re that person pls write here that devs seee how mnay players got same problem and they can play only with “-windowed” parameter.

Today (17.03.2015) game download something, but problem is still there. Game work only in window mode. Even if i start game, and go into options, and try change res for fullscreen it’s go same as you saw on youtube… so reset.

Maybe you got any solution? I wrote to support but i think they use only copy/paste formula….

Posted by: barria.4596

barria.4596

Same here. Win XP, Geforce 210, latest drivers …

Posted by: Vykan.1405

Vykan.1405

I have the exact same problem. If i run the game my PC kinda softlocks, just like in the video. I tried everything, running the repair wizard and deleting the datas in the documents folder. The only thing seeming to work is running in windowed mode, like he said. The only downside is, that it then lacks fps.

Maybe the whole issue is because i run the game on windows XP. Can anyone clarifiy what the problem is and how to fix it, because I bought the game like a week ago and I started to enjoy playing it.

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

A lot of people seem to have this Problem (Me included). Initially, I also thought it has to do with Windows XP, but the OS in the vid clearly isn’t Windows XP, unless he’s using style XP or something similar.

Just for the record: I’m on XP aswell (XP Pro SP3)

Retired GW2 Player

Posted by: Lyssia.4637

Lyssia.4637

Someone on the other thread regarding this problem reported that they were using Windows 7 when I asked if it was only an XP thing. I’m getting the same problem as well and am on an XP machine, obviously. The only fix reported so far is to play in windowed mode, and I can’t get windowed mode to work for me… :/

Posted by: Principle.2019

Principle.2019

1. I have same problems,and my O.S. is win xp too.

2. I think those problems are relating to win xp system.

3.GM,could you solve those problems as quickly as possible?

Name: poormana
Sever: Fissure of Woe
Guild: Ever Green Of TW [EGOT]

(edited by Principle.2019)

Posted by: Principle.2019

Principle.2019

Hey,i found solution that could solve this problem.

Just add command line “-perf -windowed”.

Then you can see windowed mode log-in screen.

Name: poormana
Sever: Fissure of Woe
Guild: Ever Green Of TW [EGOT]

Posted by: Darkwind Suul.7128

Darkwind Suul.7128

I have win 7 64 and i have the same problem

Xaros.1584

No no guys it’s not OS problem. I’ve played GW2 when game show info about new build. I’ve downloaded patch and this what i get. Only “-windowed” works.
Today we got patch, and… still can’t use fullscreen…
Dev’s please fix it.

…and yes I use windows XP SP3 with vista theme. But it’s still XP.

Posted by: Aeacuz.4369

Aeacuz.4369

same as win7, Geforce 740m
can’t use fullscreen mode

Posted by: aesur.1457

aesur.1457

Same problem here Win10, GeForce 680GTX, I can’t use full screen either…

Mind Over Matter. If You Don’t Mind, It Doesn’t Matter

Xaros.1584

I wrote to support, and they are trying to tell me that this is XP fault. Patch which with 1GB adding fpp view, clothes in store, suddenly change the supported OS?
Give me a break… What people are working there?

It’s XP fault that I can’t play no more on fullscreen /support

Posted by: barria.4596

barria.4596

Are you kidding me? They said that they will not work on repairing this bug?

Posted by: Lahsihl.8412

Lahsihl.8412

Hello, same problem here in fullscreen mode my whole monitor is flickering and can only play with -windowed option and I have Win7 64bit, good to know that win7 is still xp lool

Xaros.1584

Lahsihl.8412 yeah i wrote to support the same. That not only XP users go that problem but if support wrote me that awesome solution my mind blow. Srly it’s my first time with GW2 support and i hope last becouse of that people work there.

Today we got another patch (18.03.2015). Someone try use fullscreen mode?

Posted by: Lahsihl.8412

Lahsihl.8412

just tried still the same flickering -.-

Posted by: LuciusEsox.7645

LuciusEsox.7645

Yes I have used the new patch (18/3) and the problem still persists.

I am not playing the game because I lose too many fps having to play in windowed mode. If, as another poster in this thread has said is correct and the devs are basically blaming something other than themselves for the fps loss then I assume this means it is not going to be fixed.

laquito.5269

I haven’t fully tested this, but interestingly enough, the game seems to not freeze when I’m using low/non native resolutions, but once I try to play with my native resolution, the flickering starts again. Maybe it has something to do with the transition from Desktop resolution to Ingame resolution?

Only tested this with 1024/768 & 1280/1024, can any1 confirm?

Retired GW2 Player

Posted by: Vaxor.4039

Vaxor.4039

I have the same problem and I would be pleased if someone could fix that, thanks.

Gilb Rainyday – Lvl 80 Ranger

Posted by: Cure.9850

Cure.9850

i have same problem but in window mode i have crash too windows 7 64bit

LuciusEsox.7645

I haven’t fully tested this, but interestingly enough, the game seems to not freeze when I’m using low/non native resolutions, but once I try to play with my native resolution, the flickering starts again. Maybe it has something to do with the transition from Desktop resolution to Ingame resolution?

Only tested this with 1024/768 & 1280/1024, can any1 confirm?

Hi there,
I tried what you said but no luck as any full screen mode caused my machine to crash and go into the graphical loop (the flashing screen) I also tried changing my desktop res but that didn’t help either,

LuciusEsox.7645

Ok an update…

I seem to have found something that works for me. I am running Win 7 and saw a thread that it might be something to do with me running it in XP compatibility mode,, itwas.

In Win 7 right click the game launcher and select properties, then click compatibility tab, if (as mine was) the box “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then underneath it says XP service pack 3, uncheck it.

Bad news if you an XP user

laquito.5269

Hi there,
I tried what you said but no luck as any full screen mode caused my machine to crash and go into the graphical loop (the flashing screen) I also tried changing my desktop res but that didn’t help either,

My bad, only seems to work during character selection, but once you load into the game, I get the same problem. Still no answer for XP users from ANet yet though.

Retired GW2 Player

Posted by: cato.4971

cato.4971

can only hear the log in music in the background, but screen is just blinking (black screen). only way to get out off the mess is to restart pc.

Posted by: Warbelt.8450

Warbelt.8450

I am having the exact same crash described in this thread: Windows XP SP3, game soft crashes on start and I can not even kill the process, only solution is rebooting.
I am really waiting an official word on this because the game is unplayable at the moment.

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

My girlfriend has the same issue, but uses Vista, so it’s ISN’T an OS problem.

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

Same issue here, before update work without issues, i just hope a word for Arena.net because i preffer have the old camera and can play in Fullscreen and have my previuos FPS back.

Posted by: Sayuri.9541

Sayuri.9541

Same as everyone else... XP SP3, game crashes & computer freezes when in fullscreen mode. Yesterday I managed to suffer through my daily at 2 fps in windowed mode but I can’t actually play like this from now on... this is ridiculous

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

After the last update still same crash in Fullscreen, still FPS drop and no word from arena.net.

Xaros.1584

Ok i got answer from support:
“This does appear to be affecting Windows XP users primarily, and while it may be affecting some Windows Vista, 7, or 8 players, this could be for an entirely different reason. We are currently investigating this issue although I do not have an ETA for a fix. At this time I can only advise playing in Windowed mode until we have more information to provide.”
Okey so, wait?

Posted by: vinson.9136

vinson.9136

I guess, good to know they are looking into it, the game is still playable for me in windowed mode with slightly lowered fps, hope they fix it soon

Xaros.1584

Today (19.0.3.2015) we got another patch. Someone try go fullscreen?

Posted by: Caledfwlch.3751

Caledfwlch.3751

I just checked, still not working.

Posted by: Lolli Pop.4512

Lolli Pop.4512

confirmed….still not possible to play with fullscreen after todays patch

Posted by: Darkwind Suul.7128

Darkwind Suul.7128

unchecking the xp compatibility mode has done the trick for my win 7 64 bit system. i now have full screen again.

Posted by: Marshie.4219

Marshie.4219

For winxp I can log in using windowed mode. Here is what I did to be able to log into the game.

1) create shortcut for GW2.exe
2) Right click on the shortcut, choose properties.
3) On the target line, put -windowed at the end. It would look something like (“C:\GW2\GW2.exe” -windowed)
4) Click on apply.

It should let you into the game when you double click on the shortcut you just created. I hope I was able to help.

Posted by: Esty.8352

Esty.8352

Just adding my name to the list of those unable to run in fullscreen mode. Windows XP SP3 with GeForce GT 220. No 3rd-party addons. Game was working fine up until the “camera” patch.

Running windowed mode is annoying. I hope Anet gets this fixed before the weekend!

Posted by: SpeedyG.7340

SpeedyG.7340

I posted this in another thread, but that thread has died. Posting here for visibility. Also adding updated information.
The GW2 client downloaded the files on [3-16-15] and then AutoPlay kicked in and I see the GW2 Title bar (Blue) flickering and my mouse changes to an arrow. According to taskmgr, GW2 is running but I still see the desktop in the background. Unfortunately, I can’t end GW2 from taskmgr because all keyboard input is being handled by GW2. The only option is to reboot! Which means I have to run chkdsk on the system partition. It worked just fine before the patch and my configuration didn’t change.
After searching the forum for issues, I came across a thread that suggested to creat a shortcut to start GW2 in Windowed mode. The game launches fine in Windowed mode. This eliminates the possibility of the data file being corrupted.
I disabled AVG and tried again and it still hangs.

Running WXPSP3 with an AMD HD7750 Radeon.
DirectX info:
VendorId = 0×1002
DeviceId = 0×683f
Version = 6.14.0010.7279
Description = AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Compat = 0×00000000
VidMem = 2048 MB

I noticed in the support faqs that ANet recommends that AMD users use video driver version 12.3. I’m assuming they mean Catalyst 12.3 drivers. I’m running 13.9.
Is anyone with this issue running 12.3? If so then it is not dependent on driver version.

Xaros.1584

Ok again new patch from 20.03.2015, someone got good news?

Posted by: Hrodvitnir.3285

Hrodvitnir.3285

Hi all! 19.03 patch fixed the problem for me (I also have to play in windowed mode this week along). For all of you that still have to play it that way I used this trick I’ve read: in settings you can change to full screen and works fine. So entered windowed mode and once inside the game change the setting to full screen.

I also have Windows XP .

Posted by: Vaxor.4039

Vaxor.4039

(20.03.2015) Still doesn’t work.

Gilb Rainyday – Lvl 80 Ranger

Posted by: Esty.8352

Esty.8352

New build announced in game (been running windowed since tuesday). Logged out, updated, then logged back in and tried switching to fullScreen – still same issue as OP – blinking title bar, black screen, have to reset computer.

The wiki game update pages shows todays patch as Build: 46,613

So I guess no fullScreen for the weekend

XP-SP3, No add-ons

Posted by: SpeedyG.7340

SpeedyG.7340

Ok i got answer from support:
“This does appear to be affecting Windows XP users primarily, and while it may be affecting some Windows Vista, 7, or 8 players, this could be for an entirely different reason. We are currently investigating this issue although I do not have an ETA for a fix. At this time I can only advise playing in Windowed mode until we have more information to provide.”
Okey so, wait?

I’m glad to see you got a response.
I wish someone from Anet would either state that they will notify this thread when it is fixed or tell us if there is another thread we should be following. Because, otherwise it seems like they either, don’t know this thread exists or don’t want to publicly acknowledge the problem.
Maybe one of the moderators could advise? Thanks.

laquito.5269

Still not fixed. Can a dev finally post that they’re aware of this?

Retired GW2 Player

Posted by: vinson.9136

vinson.9136

new patch, anyone tried fullscreen yet??

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

Still doesn’t work fullscreen.

Why oh why can’t we at least get a dev response here?

Xaros.1584

Someone got any good news about FS fix?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Still doesn’t work fullscreen.

Why oh why can’t we at least get a dev response here?

Because this is technically a reported and known “BUG” and there is a forum for that?

I’m not trying to be mean, just point out that this may not be the correct forum to get a response on such an issue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I just noted yesterday how outdated XP is when i wanted to install Server 2003 in
my company on my old workstation as AD Testserver.

That workstation was still an old Dual-Core and i ran into a bluescreen at the
installation and in the end i figured out that i needed to disable multicore processing
in my BIOS.

I could deactivate it when i updated to SP1 .. but really .. that showed me that this
OS is much more outdated than i even thought.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

laquito.5269

So, is ANet going to pretend this never happened or not supporting XP users anymore? It’s been over a week that people came up with this issue and we still got no reply from a Dev that they’re aware of this problem and are looking into it.

I’m sick of playing windowed mode and if you guys are not going to do anything about it anymore, you might aswell state that XP is no longer supported. I might consider switching over to win 7 then.

Retired GW2 Player