High end machine, low fps

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Rootz.6270

Rootz.6270

The problem: Numerous players get low fps or fps drops with high end machines.

The facts: Nvidia stated that the game is more CPU based than GPU based and they can only do so much.

If the game is CPU based more than it still does not explain why high end systems with at least i2500k’s and higher do get these fps drops.

Short version: The game is under performing on high end systems. People did not spend a lot of money on there pc’s to find out Guildwars 2 still runs bad.

Solutions: There is only so much Nvidia can do and countless of forums with people that have knowledge are pointing towards the engine.

The game is only DX9 … Our high end cards are perfectly capable of running dx11 games on full force with no hick ups.

How i feel: At this moment i feel i am in the middle. Nvidia saying there is only so much we can do and Arenanet not answering any topics about it than merging them and let players find home brew solutions.

Well presto there are no solutions and i think you have a huge engine problem. I have faith in you Arenanet that you will solve it, come out with a statement or at least let all these people know what is happening.

The game is still playable (beside wvw, camera panning and any city) and we all love it as i think it’s the best game release for while.

Please give us a update either here or reddit or the wiki, because this is a serious problem and it already makes people stop playing.

Thank you for your attention.

Posted by: Frostflame.5314

Frostflame.5314

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Another-Frame-Rate-Issue-Thread-please-help/first#post78213

This is the only dev response I’ve seen about it that shows they are even acknowledging a problem. But yeah, feels like we’re being swept under the carpet until we just “quiet down” I built this system pretty much for GW2, it was the one game that made me finally upgrade. Very disappointing.

Posted by: Naughty.5064

Naughty.5064

I run an i5-3570, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 670. I have ZERO performance issues. Rarely drops below 55-60 fps, and very little stutter. I am not sure why so many people jump to blame Anet when their higher end PC won’t handle the game.

I have had poor performance, fps, and latency issues in other games and swore up one side and down the other it was a game side issue. In the end, it was in fact my own settings. Just one setting, one box checked that doesn’t need to be and it can completely crush performance. Before pointing fingers, try making adjustments on your end.

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

With the way ArenaNet has been tackling bugs with the game and doing hot fixes left and right, I highly doubt we’re being swept under the rug. They probably are gathering the hardware information people are having issues with and trying to recreate the situation in their office. They will then use these machines that experience the performance issues and test new engine builds/patches until significant progress has been made and then roll it out to the public after some beta testing.

I have patience where it seems others aren’t having any of it. I’m not slandering this crowd but I feel we ow it to ArenaNet in some way to be understanding of the following.
- The game is still considered new and with this comes bugs/exploit issues/security upgrading/etc.
- They are prioritizing these issues presumably as follows | Security > Exploit > Bugs
- My logic behind that is security is number one because what’s the point of fixing exploits and bugs if no one is playing (that actually bought the game). Fix exploits next to ensure the economy isn’t jacked. Last is bugs, first starting with game breaking and boiling down to visual/experiential. The reason the visual/experiential is last is because the game is still playable in its current state.

TL;DR – They’re aware and working on it but it would be nice to know their progress in the matter.

I run an i5-3570, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 670. I have ZERO performance issues. Rarely drops below 55-60 fps, and very little stutter. I am not sure why so many people jump to blame Anet when their higher end PC won’t handle the game.

I have had poor performance, fps, and latency issues in other games and swore up one side and down the other it was a game side issue. In the end, it was in fact my own settings. Just one setting, one box checked that doesn’t need to be and it can completely crush performance. Before pointing fingers, try making adjustments on your end.

Many people have a rig that our performs yours (myself included) are having issues. Try reading the forums before pointing fingers at other people.

Rootz.6270

Do you really think i would make this topic if there was not a problem?

The guru’s on guru3d where nvidia reps are posting are acknowledging that there is a huge problem. I myself am i certified system engineer and work in the pc cooling industries for 10 years now. I am not a noob that does not know how to tweak anything.

I point fingers when i have facts and yours is surely not contributing in any way

Posted by: Naughty.5064

Naughty.5064

I never said was a “high” end system, (I also have many friends who run $4k+ machines no problems in gw2) However if a higher performing machine is struggling where lower end machines are running fine. Its a much higher probability it’s on your end and not Anets. That is my point. Just because you have a “high” end machine doesn’t mean things are set to run smoothly. I find it odd that only a handful of higher end users are having issues, while many are not.

Posted by: Frostflame.5314

Frostflame.5314

Oh I have the patience, after all this was only my 2nd post on the performance problem, what I don’t like is zero transparency. They haven’t said much on it, or even shown much is happening with it, where as the crashing, sound problems and various graphic artifacts issues (which are very important) its obvious they are aware and working on it. I would just like them to say something once and a while about the performance problem. Keep us updated with a post every week or so, utter silence merely makes it seem like I’ve just wasted my money on a new one. I’ve been building and servicing systems almost as long as you have been working in the industry too, I’m getting just as frustrated as you are.

Rootz.6270

I never said was a “high” end system, (I also have many friends who run $4k+ machines no problems in gw2) However if a higher performing machine is struggling where lower end machines are running fine. Its a much higher probability it’s on your end and not Anets. That is my point. Just because you have a “high” end machine doesn’t mean things are set to run smoothly. I find it odd that only a handful of higher end users are having issues, while many are not.

handfull… you already go wrong there.

Please just leave, i am really not up for discussion a problem that is acknowledged even by nvidia and i am sure they have more knowledge than you. Do some research before even trying to contribute. There is no discussion that there is a problem, there is a problem and that is end off (point)

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

Nvidia just released the new drivers that enables SLI support just FYI

Victus.9631

SLI has nothing to do with this as most of us are running single GPU setups. In addition, this information is located in the thread about the drivers being released.

Rootz.6270

I know as i am a member of guru3d forums. They add nothing.

Nvidia rep

Guild Wars 2 is heavily CPU-bound, meaning it benefits more from CPU power than GPU power. As I said on GF.com earlier (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-306-23-whql-drivers-released/#comment-649045916), there was little time between the release of 306.02 beta and the finalizing of this driver, so we’ve had little opportunity to investigate ways to improve performance and fix the Ambient Occlusion profile. Rest assured, we will continue to look at ways of improving the end-user experience in the game

short version: nothing changed

source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368431

Posted by: dognosh.6327

dognosh.6327

For those who think they know ,a little knowledge is very dangerous, so how about you leave this thread for us with problems ?
I am running i7-3700k with 2 X 670 GTX in SLI , work in the industry, and know my own home built rig inside out

My “FPS drop problems” started only a few days ago , till then I was running over 100 FPS everywhere(60 vert sync limited most times) , now(if I set graphics settings to “auto-detect”) it runs at max FPS for a few minutes then rapidly drops to less than 10 FPS, even if I just stay in same area.

The only thing that has changed( software or hardware) in the last few days has been GW2 (the regular game updates)

thank you

p.s. My CPU never goes above 30% , so no bottleneck there.

(edited by dognosh.6327)

Posted by: dognosh.6327

dognosh.6327

oh , and the only way to play GW2 ,for me anyway, is to play on very low settings , set to that I run at 60 FPS all day

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

agree…but you gotta remember hacked accounts are the # priority right now. that and gold spammers. A simple….
“We are aware that many players are experiencing crashes even after trying the suggested options. We are currently looking into the problem. Thanks for not giving up on us!.”
On the website/wikki state of the game would be nice though….

Victus.9631

I’ll report my formal complaint too.

Computer Specifications:
i7930 @ 3.5GHz
Rampage III Extreme
Gigabyte GTX670OC / ASUS ENGTX480 SLI
12GB Corsair Dominator GT Memory @ 1800 × 7-7-7-21
OS SSD – OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
Game HDD – Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB @ 7200RPM
1000w Silverstone P-1000 PSU

Running with everything at maximum with supersampling set to native I average 35-50FPS. Basing this as low compared to playing other games that are configured to be more graphically demanding and scoring 70FPS minimum (Skyrim with 3rd party graphic enhancements mainly).

Currently using 304 Beta drivers as I haven’t updated to the 306

A simple….

“We are aware that many players are experiencing crashes even after trying the suggested options. We are currently looking into the problem. Thanks for not giving up on us!.”

On the website/wikki state of the game would be nice though….

This already has been stated by a mod on the forums

(edited by Victus.9631)

Rootz.6270

update pls Arenanet as requested in first post.

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

How about you list your system specs so we can troubleshoot? Just because your an Engineer doesn’t really mean jack squat.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

I point fingers when i have facts

You haven’t presented any facts, only gossip.

My GW2 works swimmingly well.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Cbuzz.5083

That would require work…

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Running with everything at maximum with supersampling set to native I average 35-50FPS.

Did you even bother fiddling with the in-game settings? Reflections: All is hella demanding.

High-end hardware has never meant that you could max everything and get 60FPS.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Rootz.6270

How about you list your system specs so we can troubleshoot? Just because your an Engineer doesn’t really mean jack squat.

Read my first post, maybe you understand it better than.

Rootz.6270

Facts are linked as source, i am not sure how a nvidia rep and one of the most respective driver forums are gossip, bother to read the first before you tend to troll and be smart

Rootz.6270

Running with everything at maximum with supersampling set to native I average 35-50FPS.

Did you even bother fiddling with the in-game settings? Reflections: All is hella demanding.

High-end hardware has never meant that you could max everything and get 60FPS.

No i just notice it did not work and though i come complain here…

ARE YOU FOR REAL DUDE??

serious.,..

Posted by: VisceralMonkey.6128

VisceralMonkey.6128

CPU, CPU, CPU. Honestly, it appears that you need, at a minimum an i5 running at least 4.2* or more to run it well. And AMD? Forget it, they just don’t even get close, even the “high end” ones.

Posted by: gosu.8153

gosu.8153

I have a pretty basic machine. i5-3570k stock, radeon 7950 , 8gb RAM, Crucial m4 SSD.
Playing on 1920×1080 res, I have all settings set to max. I even have shadows at ultra and reflections set to all.
I don’t have any issues with FPS and the game looks gorgeous.
60-100 FPS while questing/leveling.
30-50 FPS in lion’s arch with a lot of people around.
50-80 FPS in dungeons with 4 other players.
30-40 FPS minimum in HUGE WvW battles.

Considering the fact that I have all settings set to max and supersampling enabled, the FPS I am getting is prettykittengood. Other recently released MMOs such as SWTOR and Tera perform FAR WORSE than gw2. Ever try mass world PVP in SWTOR or Nexus event in Tera?

If you are getting questionable performance with your high-end computer, something is probably misconfigured on your end. Doesn’t matter if “all other games run perfectly fine”. Each game is different. Shooters tend to not rely on CPU and use GPU heavily. MMOs, on the other hand, are heavily dependent on CPU.

Rootz.6270

CPU, CPU, CPU. Honestly, it appears that you need, at a minimum an i5 running at least 4.2* or more to run it well. And AMD? Forget it, they just don’t even get close, even the “high end” ones.

2600k on 4.8 ghz is not enough combined with a GTX 690 and 16 GB ram. I am not going to crack it up more for a DX9 game my water runs hot already on that speed.

Posted by: Varna.5162

Varna.5162

2600k on 4.8 ghz is not enough combined with a GTX 690 and 16 GB ram. I am not going to crack it up more for a DX9 game my water runs hot already on that speed.

I have very similar specs. i5-2500k that I have overclocked to 4.9GHZ (normally just stick to 4.7GHZ) for the purpose to testing and a EVGA 690 GTX (8 gigs of ram, but that doesn’t make a difference). It doesn’t resolve the erratic frame-rate or camera stuttering. SLI still working only slightly better then a single card and in some situations worse.

I’m glad things work out for you Cbuzz (though I would like to see you post a video of a player heavy event on your setup… try the Charr area), but the +.1GHZ on your setup isn’t really making a difference. There is something wrong with the way this game handles high end GPUs.

EDIT: That last thing was directed at Cbuzz.

(edited by Varna.5162)

Posted by: Rosh.1372

Rosh.1372

“I have a pretty basic machine. i5-3570k stock, radeon 7950 , 8gb RAM, Crucial m4 SSD.”

None of that is basic. Pretty powerful modern gaming machine.

Cbuzz.5083

I’m glad things work out for you Cbuzz (though I would like to see you post a video of a player heavy event on your setup… try the Charr area), but the +.1GHZ on your setup isn’t really making a difference. There is something wrong with the way this game handles high end GPUs.

EDIT: That last thing was directed at Cbuzz.

What’s the point of this?

Seems pretty good to me. Sli working perfectly with excellent gpu utilization.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: victornajduch.4859

victornajduch.4859

I don’t suppose you have cool-n-quiet (or the intel equivalent) on do you?

Posted by: Varna.5162

Varna.5162

Well that makes me jealous. Wish I knew what I could do to improve this on my end. You CPU is a beast, better then mine in many applications. But for gaming, it wouldn’t be that noticeable. Considering how little attention has given to high end gaming demographic, I really doubt the game is optimized well for six core machines.

Posted by: CptBadger.5918

CptBadger.5918

I run an i5-3570, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 670. I have ZERO performance issues. Rarely drops below 55-60 fps, and very little stutter.

Oh yeah ? Go to Eternal Battlegrounds. Do a siege. FRAPS it with framerate counter on. Post it.

Otherwise I simply call it lies.

Posted by: azkez.3587

azkez.3587

to CBUZZ.5083. what program do u use in your video??so u can see gpu usage and fps in the top left corner.would be a nice way to check how my crossfire work during playing

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

to CBUZZ.5083. what program do u use in your video??so u can see gpu usage and fps in the top left corner.would be a nice way to check how my crossfire work during playing

MSI Afterburner?

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Cbuzz.5083

Msi Afterburner
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Xfire is working sweet for me
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Does-GW2-Support-Xfire-Lets-Find-Out/first#post95972

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

azkez.3587

im using it right now. i have an amd fx8120 cpu and 2 amd hd6970 cards and 16gb ddr ram. but my gpu usage never show over 50% on my cards. they are at default settings. any ideas??

azkez.3587

my fps jumps between 25-60 fps while i run around in lions arch

Cbuzz.5083

my fps jumps between 25-60 fps while i run around in lions arch

Lower reflections & shadows a bit. Should smooth it out.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Cbuzz.5083

im using it right now. i have an amd fx8120 cpu and 2 amd hd6970 cards and 16gb ddr ram. but my gpu usage never show over 50% on my cards. they are at default settings. any ideas??

Amd cpu not helping your Xfire setup one bit. Xfire is strong, have been testing it for the last hour & it’s working even better than Sli.

But your going to need >4Ghz i7 Quad to really make them shine.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

azkez.3587

so i guess ordering an intel i7 3770k would make things better for my setup??cause right now,there are no difference if i enable crossfire or not

Cbuzz.5083

so i guess ordering an intel i7 3770k would make things better for my setup??cause right now,there are no difference if i enable crossfire or not

You need to make sure Xfire is even working before doing anything. Run 3DMark11 & post your result.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

azkez.3587

msi afterburner says they both are working.so says audiocatalyst. and while running gw2 with afterburner on the top left of my screen,it shows both gpus.so yeah,they should work.but i wonder why the gpu activity on both cards never get over 45%..any idea on that?

azkez.3587

downloading 3dmark now.will post my results

azkez.3587

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4384293

is this good results???i have no idea.
hope you can answer

Cbuzz.5083

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4384293

is this good results???i have no idea.
hope you can answer

Your Xfire is working, score is pretty good. Latest drivers? 12.8..

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

azkez.3587

yeah drivers are from 12.8.but do u have any idea why my cards dont go over 45% in activity?around the same on both cards while i play.using afterburner.
will an i7 3770k make the cards perform better u think?
many questions here hehe

Posted by: Mike Flavaz.2635

Mike Flavaz.2635

Couldn’t agree more with OP. Personally, I followed this game for years and was really looking forward to playing it and was severely disapointed with the performance. So much so that I stopped played. My machine is high end. However it’s an amd processor, and even though I have the very best of AMD processors, 32gb ram, a Nvidia GTX690, Asus Crosshair V Motherboard, Solid State Drives and a great psu with enough power to revive a heart attack patient, it’s still not enough to run this game on decent fps, sometimes even in lowly populated areas. Camera pans cause severe lag even.

I usually get 18-45fps. I’m a gaming snob, which is the reason I built my gaming rig. So, playing a game that touches below 20fps on a somewhat often occurrence is simply unplayable for me. This is just unacceptable and until I hear more about some recognition of this problem and a plan to fix it, I have moved on and cannot recommend this game to anyone without the best of Intel processors. Sad…and Bad..

Posted by: Mike Flavaz.2635

Mike Flavaz.2635

Keep in mind, I’m running planetside 2 at 60-140 fps always. And that can be in battles with hundreds of people, tanks, aircrafts and vehicles. Every game I run on machine has elite performance..So it really throws me for a loop why gw2 runs so kitten bad.

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

Couldn’t agree more with OP. Personally, I followed this game for years and was really looking forward to playing it and was severely disapointed with the performance. So much so that I stopped played. My machine is high end. However it’s an amd processor, and even though I have the very best of AMD processors, 32gb ram, a Nvidia GTX690, Asus Crosshair V Motherboard, Solid State Drives and a great psu with enough power to revive a heart attack patient, it’s still not enough to run this game on decent fps, sometimes even in lowly populated areas. Camera pans cause severe lag even.

I usually get 18-45fps. I’m a gaming snob, which is the reason I built my gaming rig. So, playing a game that touches below 20fps on a somewhat often occurrence is simply unplayable for me. This is just unacceptable and until I hear more about some recognition of this problem and a plan to fix it, I have moved on and cannot recommend this game to anyone without the best of Intel processors. Sad…and Bad..

I’m sorry to hear you are not happy with your performance.

You have a mid to upper mid-range CPU and a top end GPU. It does seem that beyond a decent mid range card, the GPU does not boost performance much.

From what I’ve seen with the current AMD processors, they have a lot of cores, but the performance per core is not as high as it is with Intel. In a highly threaded environment, this can be a huge asset but most games don’t scale well beyond 2-4 cores.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Problem No#2 : yes the game is CPU bound like several others games and does have some issues

Problem No#1 : people claim to have a high end machine, when in fact this is not true at all. The term’’ high end’’ seems to be really perceived any kind of ways…. how can a i2500K can be called high end …come on …