I never got banned, got banned 2 weeks for bad language.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cryhs.7964

Cryhs.7964

I wholeheartedly support this strong stance by ArenaNet. Thank you for caring about the vast majority of us who do not care to see this type of behavior in-game.

Wrong, that vast majority does not care at all. We are on the internet after all, just thought I’d remind you. And if someone did care so much, a simple /ignore and check box in language filter would do the trick.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Not sure I agree with the Staff on this one:
“Right. We have a lot of people who need help, but we should dedicate people to hand-holding with giving warnings? Really? The warning comes through the User Agreement, the Rules of Conduct, and the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes. Become familiar with them and the problem is solved.”

So if the “Legal” documents are a warning, then take this as a warning: don’t bother giving this company your money. Very liberal and very ban happy.

Not to mention banning players for using in-game vendors. This company needs to learn what an actual exploit is. It’s definitely not using the official UI to buy and sell items. Players don’t control the cost. Don’t blame them when they craft an item then sell it to a vendor. Don’t follow current leadership and blame others for your incompetence.

If the GW2 staff keeps this up, this will be the shortest lived game on the market. I think their marketing strategy is to sell people a $60 game, ban everyone and profit.

I surely agree with the “ban happy” policy, but about vendors even if it was their mistake, abusing of it it’s not right, it will mess the game economy.

But they can’t take their fault from this, it wasn’t the players that mistaked some prices of karma and gold shops that allowed this in first place. The players abused it and if a player did that a bunch of times they did know what they were doing.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Bosley.6403

Bosley.6403

Right. We have a lot of people who need help, but we should dedicate people to hand-holding with giving warnings? Really? The warning comes through the User Agreement, the Rules of Conduct, and the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes. Become familiar with them and the problem is solved.

I wholeheartedly support this strong stance by ArenaNet. Thank you for caring about the vast majority of us who do not care to see this type of behavior in-game.

Agreed.

Max Lexandre.6279

Wrong, that vast majority does not care at all. We are on the internet after all, just thought I’d remind you. And if someone did care so much, a simple /ignore and check box in language filter would do the trick.

Good point, why report if there is an Ignore Button? Unless it’s something more about “global chat” or serious issues I can’t understand why players report any more “heat conversation”.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Dan.9801

Dan.9801

So Gaile said that he’d say what we said to get us a 3/14 day ban if we told him char names, but hasn’t yet and i really want to sleep but i also really want to know what i did to deserve this. Whatever, this post will probably get deleted for not having enough to do with the thread anyway.

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

I completely agree. I could care less about the behavior of other players considering I’ve been given the tools to filter chat and block any user at any time. I’ll never understand why some folks are so quick and willing to report other users.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Posted by: Bellok.4180

Bellok.4180

This whole thing is silly. People who use lousy language need to grow up, and people offended by it need to grow up and just block the person and go on their way. It’s taking far too much effort to go through and witch hunt all of these people down and give them 14 day bans. The end user agreement is directed for those that purposefully abuse the chat with non stop rubbish, not for those that say something you deem unacceptable, which is purely subjective.

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

This whole thing is silly. People who use lousy language need to grow up, and people offended by it need to grow up and just block the person and go on their way. It’s taking far too much effort to go through and witch hunt all of these people down and give them 14 day bans. The end user agreement is directed for those that purposefully abuse the chat with non stop rubbish, not for those that say something you deem unacceptable, which is purely subjective.

The end user agreement is directed at whoever ArenaNet decides it’s directed at. It would seem clear from ArenaNet’s actions how they interpret it. It seems prudent to behave accordingly.

Max Lexandre.6279

THIS:
People who use lousy language need to grow up, and people offended by it need to grow up and just block the person and go on their way.

This isn’t really and that bad motive for reports, unless it’s global chat or it is serious ofenses I would like ANet to ignore thoose reports since the is an IGNORE BUTTON.

Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Bellok.4180

The end user agreement is directed at whoever ArenaNet decides it’s directed at. It would seem clear from ArenaNet’s actions how they interpret it. It seems prudent to behave accordingly.

That’s fine and dandy. There are ways potential players will interpret the way Arena Net handles this kind of situation as well. It very well could scare people away from the game if they feel ArenaNet will ban them from the drop of a hat.

Cryhs.7964

Thats the the thing though, I’ve barely talked in this game, unless its to guildies, and received a suspension. If I was “non-stop” trolling, speaking rubbish, cursing, etc., then sure ban me, but most people receiving suspensions for minor and petty situations. After my suspension is over I’m probably not going to talk in chat at all, which is sad since I’m playing a game that tries to encourage interaction with other players

Bellok.4180

You see people, this goes both ways, you can’t have ArenaNet be ban happy, and not have potential customers who are looking into the game not have room for concern.

Posted by: Hostile.4925

Hostile.4925

I’ve always wondered why MMOs like this even give us the option to disable a word filter if they are just going to ban people for saying things that the word filter would normally block.

If someone is going to take the step to disable the word filter then they should not be able to report people for bad/inappropriate language- it’s their own fault they are seeing language that offends them.

My $0.02.

Posted by: Halmo.8619

Halmo.8619

THIS:
People who use lousy language need to grow up, and people offended by it need to grow up and just block the person and go on their way.

This isn’t really and that bad motive for reports, unless it’s global chat or it is serious ofenses I would like ANet to ignore thoose reports since the is an IGNORE BUTTON.

Except “lousy language” isn’t really “lousy language” its just the way language has evolved. Language changes over time and the only people saying grow up are the ones that are still living in the past. Saying things like crap and even butt where heavily frowned upon even like 15 years ago but now no one even flinches if someone says a word like that. It’s how language changes and A-Net just seems to be a bit behind the times where other companies are more lenient.

Bellok.4180

Thats the the thing though, I’ve barely talked in this game, unless its to guildies, and received a suspension. If I was “non-stop” trolling, speaking rubbish, cursing, etc., then sure ban me, but most people receiving suspensions for minor and petty situations. After my suspension is over I’m probably not going to talk in chat at all, which is sad since I’m playing a game that tries to encourage interaction with other players

I’m almost inclined to not playing this game at all. I just do not like being around closed minded bigot’s(yes bigots), who probably somewhere in their lifetime has said something 10x’s worse than what they reported someone for saying in chat.

mcl.9240

You see people, this goes both ways, you can’t have ArenaNet be ban happy, and not have potential customers who are looking into the game not have room for concern.

There are also those customers (who I’d argue are much larger in number) who typically avoid MMOs due to the childish and immature behavior allowed in them by the companies that run them. Those consumers may well welcome these actions and view them as a breath of fresh air in the MMO community, and flock to ArenaNet in droves.

Bellok.4180

There are also those customers (who I’d argue are much larger in number) who typically avoid MMOs due to the childish and immature behavior allowed in them by the companies that run them. Those consumers may well welcome these actions and view them as a breath of fresh air in the MMO community, and flock to ArenaNet in droves.

You are crazy my friend. There are tons more people who don’t care about what someone says in chat vs. those who do care.

Halmo.8619

Are we talking about the 35+ plus community here? But then again even some of them could care less.

Posted by: Hostile.4925

Hostile.4925

I’m 34 and generally don’t care what people are saying in trade chat. The only thing I’ll generally report people for are spam or racism.

CalvinHobbes.3541

I’ve always wondered why MMOs like this even give us the option to disable a word filter if they are just going to ban people for saying things that the word filter would normally block.

If someone is going to take the step to disable the word filter then they should not be able to report people for bad/inappropriate language- it’s their own fault they are seeing language that offends them.

My $0.02.

Exactly. The filter is active by default. Which means that either people are reporting users when they see the —-- that appears in place of a blocked word. Or they are turning off the filter and for some reason are surprised when the see a potentially offensive word and quickly report it.

Cryhs.7964

I’m almost inclined to not playing this game at all. I just do not like being around closed minded bigot’s(yes bigots), who probably somewhere in their lifetime has said something 10x’s worse than what they reported someone for saying in chat.

I’m on the same boat bro lol, preaching to the choir. Unfortunately this game is extremely fun and I’ve been waiting a long time, so I can’t give up that easily. I just don’t want to feel like I’m running for office while playing this game, where everything I say or do gets dissected.

Bellok.4180

I’m 34 and generally don’t care what people are saying in trade chat. The only thing I’ll generally report people for are spam or racism.

32 here and don’t care either, as long as I can block what people are saying. I have to be honest though, many people get on my nerves and I’m contantly blocking people whether they are cussing, using racial slurs or not. If you are a complete idiot in chat be sure you are probably blocked from my end.

mcl.9240

Block lists generally have a limit on the number of people that can be blocked.

Right-clicking on player names doesn’t always work (in WvWvW, for example).

Neither the “ignore” feature nor the profanity filter are excuses for poor behavior, as stated several times here and in other venues by ArenaNet staff.

Bellok.4180

Neither the “ignore” feature nor the profanity filter are excuses for poor behavior, as stated several times here and in other venues by ArenaNet staff.

but you see it’s also poor behavior for blocking someone, and then reporting them for some sort of temporal outburst. You are acting like you have never had an outburst of your own. Everyone acts poorly from time to time, that includes you. Should I follow you around and wait for your outburst to happen and then /report you?

Posted by: Sol.3296

Sol.3296

It’s amazing that you all want warnings about being rude when:

A – It should be common sense when you are being inappropriate; and
B – The terms of conduct clearly state the rules of the game.

Now I swear like an absolute trooper and find jokes at the expense of myself and others highly amusing, and I say things others would find distateful all the time. However I also respect that not everyone likes that and conduct myself in accordance with the stated terms a conditions when playing GW2. Thus far I have not received any bans and I’ve conversed with multitude of people and will continue to do so.

Perhaps a 3 day ban right off the bat will make you pay attention to said terms and conditions next time you play a new game, rather than just hitting the accept button.

If you feel that you’re beng targetted and don’t want to play the game then that’s also great!!! You’ll be saving the devs time answering these threads and they can devote more time to improving the game for the players that abide the rules.

Win/ win for me =)

(edited by Sol.3296)

Bellok.4180

I guess what’s getting me is that most of these people complaining about other people’s bad behavior, have behaved badly themselves before some time in their life. These people are hypocrits.

(edited by Bellok.4180)

mcl.9240

but you see it’s also poor behavior for blocking someone, and then reporting them for some sort of temporal outburst. You are acting like you have never had an outburst of your own. Everyone acts poorly from time to time, that includes you. Should I follow you around and wait for your outburst to happen and then /report you?

I simply cannot fathom why it is so difficult for some people to comport themselves when in a public setting, whether that’s at the mall or in the public sections of a multiplayer game.

Reporting someone’s poor behavior isn’t poor behavior. Quite the opposite.

Bellok.4180

It’s amazing that you all want warnings about being rude when:

A – It should be common sense when you are being inappropriate; and
B – The terms of conduct clearly state the rules of the game.

Now I swear like an absolute trooper and find jokes at the expense of myself and others highly amusing. However I also respect that not everyone likes that and conduct myself in accordance with the stated terms a conditions .

Perhaps a 3 day ban right off the bat will make you pay attention to said terms and conditions next time you play a new game, rather than just hitting the accept button.

Ah but you see that’s it right there, you are having to adjust yourself to what others want. That’s fine, and I do agree with you. However they can’t possibly pay it forward if by some chance you say something stupid every once in a while?

Bellok.4180

I simply cannot fathom why it is so difficult for some people to comport themselves when in a public setting, whether that’s at the mall or in the public sections of a multiplayer game.

Try and report me for cussing in the mall. If it’s an isolated incident they’ll probably just laugh at you.

mcl.9240

Try and report me for cussing in the mall. If it’s an isolated incident they’ll probably just laugh at you.

If you’re wandering through the mall cussing at strangers, I can assure you no one will have to report you. You’ll be taken into custody and escorted off the property.

Bellok.4180

It is poor behavior if you know it was a temporary outburst, and the person ceases to misbehave, and you report them anyways knowing that they will get a ban.

Bellok.4180

If you’re wandering through the mall cussing at strangers, I can assure you no one will have to report you. You’ll be taken into custody and escorted off the property.

notice how I said isolated.

Halmo.8619

No one swares at random strangers even in the game. They sware at:

1. Friends
2. People they are argueing with.

You never see someone just walking around just calling random people names, it doesn’t happen.

CalvinHobbes.3541

I cannot fathom why some find it so hard to comprehend that for some, random outbursts are purely subconscious. I do not speak for those who throw obscenities out constantly with every other word. And I think it’s disingenuous to believe that that is what all this is about. But I do recognize that sometimes it just happens. And for those who just have it happen now and then I cannot see warranting a suspension.

mcl.9240

1. Friends

You never see someone just walking around just calling random people names, it doesn’t happen.

If it’s in public chat, it’s going to everyone, regardless of who you it was intended for.

Halmo.8619

1. Friends

If it’s in public chat, it’s going to everyone, regardless of who you it was intended for.

Ya but if its not directed to you mind your own business, pretty much how the world works.

Bellok.4180

yes and people have arguments in public in real life too. If they are loud enough everyone in the vicinity will probably hear it. So what is your point?

Bellok.4180

Do you know what my filter, and block list is in real life? Headphones and a walkman……

Bellok.4180

1. Friends

Ya but if its not directed to you mind your own business, pretty much how the world works.

agreed

Posted by: Freyar.3254

Freyar.3254

Don’t put it on my screen then? You sent it to me, be it via public space or not. If you want a private conversation, then use whispers or party.

mcl.9240

1. Friends

In this game, however, it ruins the utility of the general chat feature.

Sol.3296

Ah but you see that’s it right there, you are having to adjust yourself to what others want. That’s fine, and I do agree with you. However they can’t possibly pay it forward if by some chance you say something stupid every once in a while?

Of course I adjust to what others want, that is life man! I hate pants but I wear them to work every day because I have to.

And of course I have outbreaks; but when I do I accept resposibility for my actions and take my punishmet knowing it was my own fault, even if it wasn’t 100% intentional.

Perhaps there are also plenty of people that didn’t report you, in essence ‘paying it forward’ and you just don’t know about them.

I’d much rather not have the trade chat vitriol that is present in other games in order to have a community that is well mannered, even if it is forced. Too long has the faceless world of the internet allowed people to get away saying things they would never conceive of saying to someone’s face.

That isn’t saying it is you doing those things and you’ve probably said something I wouldn’t consider bad. But you are blaming the wrong people in saying it’s Anets fault. We as a community have acted in such a way for so long now that now gaming companies have to have such strict terms of conduct to ensure courtesy…

This is a poor reflection on us, not Anet.

Posted by: Sacred Shield.9321

Sacred Shield.9321

1. Friends

Agreed to TOS…

You do not own the intellectual property its not like cursing in your house. There is no bill of rights in the game… you agreed not to curse and to the repercussions of such in the TOS. A.K.A. your contract for the rental/use of someone else’s property.

(edited by Sacred Shield.9321)

Bellok.4180

1. Friends

It does not, from my experience these incidents are far and between which should make it manage able for you.

mcl.9240

1. Friends

It does not, from my experience these incidents are far and between which should make it manage able for you.

They should not exist in the public channels at all. If you want to have a private conversation with someone, use /whisper.

Bellok.4180

Of course I adjust to what others want, that is life man! I hate pants but I wear them to work every day because I have to.

And of course I have outbreaks; but when I do I accept resposibility for my actions and take my punishmet knowing it was my own fault, even if it wasn’t 100% intentional.

Perhaps there are also plenty of people that didn’t report you, in essence ‘paying it forward’ and you just don’t know about them.

I’d much rather not have the trade chat vitriol that is present in other games in order to have a community that is well mannered, even if it is forced. Too long has the faceless world of the internet allowed people to get away saying things they would never conceive of saying to someone’s face.

That isn’t saying it is you doing those things and you’ve probably said something I wouldn’t consider bad. But you are blaming the wrong people in saying it’s Anets fault. We as a community have acted in such a way for so long now that now gaming companies have to have such strict terms of conduct to ensure courtesy…

This is a poor reflection on us, not Anet.

Oh, I wasn’t banned.

Sol.3296

Oh, I wasn’t banned.

Nevertheless the argument still stands. We are the problem, not Anet.

Bellok.4180

Its fine for having to deal with your mistakes, however generally the public can take care of that. If a person is vile enough in chat then most likely he/she will get a reputation within that community. With my experience at least in mmo’s communities for the different servers become tightly nit and usually don’t associate themselves with these people making it hard for that person to find friends, etc. Thus making the game not fun for that person because of the way he/she acted.

Halmo.8619

1. Friends

Agreed to TOS…

You do not own the intellectual property its not like cursing in your house. There is no bill of rights in the game… you agreed not to curse and to the repercussions of such in the TOS. A.K.A. your contract for the rental/use of someone else’s property.

Their TOS is too open ended and is to the reader’s (or the Mod’s) discretion as to what is “inappropriate” what I think is inappropriate is not what others may think.

Posted by: Sacred Shield.9321

Sacred Shield.9321

1. Friends

Agreed to TOS…

Their TOS is too open ended and is to the reader’s (or the Mod’s) discretion as to what is “inappropriate” what I think is inappropriate is not what others may think.

If you have to stop and think about what you are going to say don’t say it. Racism and Foul Language have no place in a community game’s public chat. Maybe with your guildmates… but public chat affects everyone.