LAG. DISCONNECTS. peak time BT ISP throttle?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: iced cooly.5794

iced cooly.5794

Is there any chance someone from Anet can contact BT please? It might help us get the issue resolved.

I am on BT infinity option 2, as I am in a contract I have to pay an expensive disconnection fee if I want to change provider. This isn’t possible for me and probably many others too. We shouldn’t have to anyway not when you have a 70 MB connection.

19:00 PM on Sundays is our guild mission days, I had to miss out on this, the game was unplayable regardless of a “super fast fiber optic connection” and a super beast of a laptop the surpasses the minimum spec by loads.

Also please, everyone who thinks they are affected by this, make a post here, dont let it rest.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-throttling-online-games-guild-wars-2-all-the-sudden/m-p/1167486#M127353

Posted by: scanz.4536

scanz.4536

ANet won’t do anything here, they’re not even acknowledging the issue exists.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Also (hoping to give you some ammunition), it is pretty hypocrit for BT to blaim it on the server. Cause if it is it is the connection to the datacenter where the server is located.
Assuming the rumours bout the location are right I happen to know who is delivering that connection, it is a 100% daughtercompany of BT.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: olijbell.1875

olijbell.1875

I’ve been having this issue for two weeks, on EE, but unlike everyone else, my issues don’t appear at peak times, they’re present 24/7. Haven’t been able to play for those two weeks save maybe a quick dungeon run, in which I disconnect about 4/5 times before I ran out of patience and rage quit. Completely at a loss of what to do apart from complain to the relevant companies and pray they take notice..

Posted by: lucagn.3765

lucagn.3765

same for me on EE. Never had any issues. Just the past 2 weeks.
Anet – could you please just let us know that you have acknowledged the issue please?

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Yup, issue is still present and bad, random lags and DC’s everywhere

Posted by: lightfalcon.4291

lightfalcon.4291

96 thousand views on a post about disconnects and lag, I think something is wrong… Need to get the finger out Bt and anet

Posted by: Lorraine.2104

Lorraine.2104

I have BT unlimited broadband and am experiencing the same problems discussed in this thread. The game is unplayable for me.

iced cooly.5794

There is a new update coming very soon with new story line content, in the UK the download will most likely happen during BT infinity peak times..arghh :-(

So gutted we are not going to be able to play this content. Wish someone either on GW2 side or BT side or both would have a heart and help us out. I don’t think either company understand just how unplayable the game is.. What will it take to get this sorted? BT wont listen to us, GW2 support have been great (with me any way) but there is nothing more they can do except maybe give BT a nudge for us?

(edited by iced cooly.5794)

Posted by: Tea Break.3289

Tea Break.3289

Iced cooly, I couldnt agree with you more, I contacted support and they helped in all the ways they could however I think now the only option would be to get Arenanet to contact BT and have them sort out the throttling issues

iced cooly.5794

Someone just posted this in the BT forum.

“FIXED : I have infinity option 2. I called about this to option (accounts) 0800 800 301 pressed 1 to say I wanted to cancel account (to get a person to talk to). After 1h and 30 mins and 4 calls each time being told there is no traffic management by technical and by the accounts team finally a hero looked at my account and saw that its code included P2P peak time shaping.

All that was then required was to recontract the broadband for another 12 months and this removed the traffic management. This does not cost extra if you are already suppose to be on an unmanaged connection.

Then after a day you should see that everything is good you can test at http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php this checks that P2P runs the same speed as http.

Don’t give up! Nobody believed that there was a problem but it was finally spotted. You to can get fixed!”

iced cooly.5794

I have BT infinity option 2 and started the contracted in 2012. Option 2 contracts started before Feb 2013 are subject to traffic management (on p2p services) But contracts started after Feb 2013 have no traffic management what so ever http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278

I just had to show BT tech support their own policy over live chat to get them to agree / admit that I was being ‘traffic managed’. They still blatantly refuse that the traffic they restrict includes Guild wars 2 traffic. (even if unbeknownst to them)

The only way to NOT be traffic managed any more was to renew my contract for another year which I have now done (not that anyone should have to). I will post here in three days and update whether it has worked for me or not.

iced cooly.5794

Well…

Its during peak time and I have just had a good test on GW2.. It is now working like an absolute TREAT! :-D super fast, no skill lag, no dc`s. It takes like 3 seconds to load into lions arch.

I ran a glasnost test and surley enough there is no traffic shaping anymore.

Im not complaining but, it is strange considering my new contract that I renewed today doesn’t kick in until the 21st.

Is everyone else still having problems? If so make sure you run a glasnost test http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

If you are with BT and the test says your traffic is being shaped (for bit torrent, whether you use it or not) then id place a large bet that it is the traffic throttling that is affecting gw2 during BT peak times even though BT tech support will furiously deny this.

Posted by: Riyua.6945

Riyua.6945

That’s great that it’s working for you iced cooly but explain to me why the ‘traffic shaping’ only started causing problems for everyone around the same time if we were all on packages that included p2p throttling already? Surely by that logic we’d never have been able to play GW2 at all?

I fear you’ve been tricked into signing up for another 12 months and coincidentally GW2 is working fine for you for the time being. Like you say, your new contract doesn’t actually start for 3 days on the updated terms.

I for one shall not be renewing a 12 month contract just to see what happens especially as no-one knows what the problem is or at least they aren’t letting on yet.

iced cooly.5794

Your righ Riyua, and I cannot explain why the ‘traffic shaping’ would only start affecting us in the last couple of weeks but for me personally im positive it is what was causing the problems. For example, when I connected to my works VPN during peak hours (bypassing BT) the game worked ok. When running on normal BT connection, crap.

I did wonder if I was being tricked and maybe I was but one thing is for certain, it is not coincidence. I, like everyone else have not been able to play at all during peak time up until I made the phone call and asked to change contract (im not saying everyone should do that, I was just desperate). Something has definitely changed for the better, glasnost still reports no traffic shaping and Ive been playing GW perfectly all evening, not even the slightest hint of lag.

I am certain traffic management has something to do with it, something has changed but BT wont admit it or maybe they just dont know. Maybe they didnt intentionally do something but something they have done has affected us. I do hope it is that, if it isnt then its very fishy indeed

Posted by: Riyua.6945

Riyua.6945

The thing that I don’t get is if they have changed something in traffic management why wouldn’t they just tell us? If the problem was as simple as that i’d take out a new contract myself.

Having said that, you saw yourself that the mod on the forum said that while you were having success through renogatiating a contract they didn’t advise it as a solution to the problem but they still won’t tell us what the actual problem is. :S

It seems like we’re deliberately being kept in the dark and the most likely answer I can see is that these DDoS attacks we keep hearing about are still going on and that’s what we’re being affected by, but that’s a very uneducated guess and I could be totally wrong.

Painbow.6059

My issues started when the patch 2 weeks ago was released, after updating my driver and with the new release, i have had no lag problems at all, it is possible that the release 2 weeks ago just screwed BT users and now its fixed, will report back to this tomorrow if I have noticed anything turning for the worse

iced cooly.5794

Hey Painbow,

What driver are you talking about?

Painbow.6059

My graphics card driver, Nvidia 334.89

Posted by: olijbell.1875

olijbell.1875

Mine is well and truly kittened now, disconnects after about 20 seconds and kicks me to the character screen. I really wanna play this update, it looks like one of the best in a while. So frustrating, hope it gets fixed soon.

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Another evening of unplayable GW2 only lag. Really surprised Anet don’t care more that the largest ISP in the UK seems to be preventing their UK customers from using the game.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Is there any chance someone from Anet can contact BT please? It might help us get the issue resolved.

I am on BT infinity option 2, as I am in a contract I have to pay an expensive disconnection fee if I want to change provider. This isn’t possible for me and probably many others too. We shouldn’t have to anyway not when you have a 70 MB connection.

19:00 PM on Sundays is our guild mission days, I had to miss out on this, the game was unplayable regardless of a “super fast fiber optic connection” and a super beast of a laptop the surpasses the minimum spec by loads.

Also please, everyone who thinks they are affected by this, make a post here, dont let it rest.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-throttling-online-games-guild-wars-2-all-the-sudden/m-p/1167486#M127353

Your workaround would be to invest in a US Terminated VPN service (Ipsec or PPTP). You can get one for about 7.50USD/month. A VPN connection would ‘hide’ your traffic from your ISP and make it to they cannot ‘classify’ your GW2 Traffic as ‘file sharing’. And the result would be, removing the control the ISP is placing on your connection.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Painbow.6059

Since the patch I have had no issues at all, all been running smooth and lagless. It would really help if anet could at least let us know they know that there is a problem

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

If I am lucky enough to be able to load my characters, I have been moving them slowly to less populated maps before I disconnect again.

On certain maps, the game is unplayable, namely – Queensdale and Frostgorge Sound.

I wonder if certain accounts get throttled to dissuade them from train use.

Also, I cannot play in the evening anymore (6-12pm), not for over a week now.

UK and EE.

Some maps lack the issue though.

Back to playing other games until this is sorted.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

(edited by Mimizu.7340)

Posted by: canci.3458

canci.3458

In spain the same thing happens to us and neither we have help

Posted by: lucagn.3765

lucagn.3765

Probably the fourth post I’m writing here.
Uk. EE.
Same issue every single evening. I can load the character selection but then I can’t access any map. I am really getting tired. 2 weeks I can’t play and not even 1 post from gw2 staff to acknolwdge the issue…

Posted by: Zen Zual.2674

Zen Zual.2674

No problem until today (19/02/14 after 1900 GMT) Now at 22:55 the lag is almost 30 secs even away from LA.

Zen Zual – The Vestil Virgins – Recruiting
We play just for fun.

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

I haven’t had any problems until today, its completely unplayable.

Kalan.9705

BT call centers in india will swear blind that no traffic management exists on BT accounts. The only way to get anywhere helpful with them is to force them to read their own page on the BT website confirming that traffic management is applied.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

BT call centers in india will swear blind that no traffic management exists on BT accounts. The only way to get anywhere helpful with them is to force them to read their own page on the BT website confirming that traffic management is applied.

This is the reason I don’t use BT, you use a British company and when you contact them you get a support desk thousands of miles away with someone who has probably never been to the UK, reading a script, im glad my ISP has an all British support team, I have had no issues since that first few days, my connection seems to be back to normal, im putting it down to that massive DDoS attack that went on last week, me friends connections have also returned to normal.

Posted by: kaida.9487

kaida.9487

We have a real lag problem with ONO in Spain the last week too!!!

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

This lag is making the game unplayable.

Posted by: jonps.5983

jonps.5983

I’m also experiencing this, since last Sunday evening! The game is totally unplayable…Please do something about this.

Posted by: Dozzer.1750

Dozzer.1750

And still it goes on (over two weeks now). I have tested during the day and get no problems. Then at 17:00 I start to get terrible lag , shortly afterwards if I try to change maps I hang on the loading page and eventually the client times out (rubber-banding according to Anet support). Then at 23:00 everything starts working smoothly again. I completely accept that it’s an issue on BT’s side and most likely throttling of GW2 traffic. In fact my contract does specifically state that P2P traffic will be throttled at peak hours. So the simple fact seems to be that BT has decided to reclassify GW2 as a P2P service. I have raised this (and so have countless others by the look at both the BT and Anet forums) but its not making any difference.

What I don’t get is why Anet is not commenting on this or even saying that they are also in discussion with BT to get GW2 reclassified again. It’s surely in Anet’s interest to try and help because if we go on much longer we all may as well give up playing. Goodbye all those nice juicy gem purchases. I don’t want to stop as I have been playing since Beta and I still really enjoy the game but whats the point if I cannot play at the time when I’m free.

Kalan.9705

Dear A-net, please care.

Posted by: papy.8571

papy.8571

kitten the lag is unbearable zzz….. a net stop slacking please peak time is lag time sigh ….

Posted by: brakheart.1407

brakheart.1407

I’m from Spain and have the 100mb internet package with Ono. I have the exact same problem of massive lag, although i have it all day long.
I’ve called about 5 times to Ono and (of course) they say all my connections are fine, and that there’s no problem from their side.
So…There’s got to be a problem regarding Guild Wars 2 servers, right? This unplayable situation happened about a week ago, when that supposed DdoS attack to Cloudflare began.

Could an administrator of this forum please explain what’s going on? Or at least say something in any post regarding these issues, thank you.

Acerot – Baruch Bay [ES]
Proud warrior from The Bullfighters [BuLL]

Kalan.9705

Primetime evening once again.

BT infinity fibre optic fast isp connection cannot even log a character in, game freezes and exits.
swap the cable over to the SKY isp hub which is much older adsl and no surprises…
Normal connection via sky.

(edited by Kalan.9705)

Posted by: Parker.5047

Parker.5047

I’m playing from the UK as well and have had issues past 2 weeks. the game becomes unplayable now and then.

Posted by: Gorilla.7496

Gorilla.7496

I have been suffering the same connection issue-19:00-0:00 GMT. I have spent several calls totalling over an hour on the phone with BT technical support, and got absolutely nothing aside from “it’s the wireless”, to “the game’s server” (yes he said one server) to " BT does not throttle lines ever"(winner).
Have run a diagnostic: relevant bit pasted.
7 —- 25/ 25 =100% 25/ 25 =100% acc1-xe-0-2-1.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.85]
0/ 25 = 0% |
8 —- 25/ 25 =100% 25/ 25 =100% core1-te0-0-0-7.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.251.31]
0/ 25 = 0% |
9 —- 25/ 25 =100% 25/ 25 =100% transit2-xe11-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.200.122]
So the only 100% loss was where? Why at BT. What a shock. So… I phoned again and they wouldn’t hear of it.
Would someone at Anet just make a small call to BT and tell them to stop messing about. Please.

Posted by: Longshot.8653

Longshot.8653

Kind of glad im not alone with this.
I cant even load my character at the moment which is stupidly frustrating!
Funnily enough, BT Infinity opt 2…

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

I can select a character but I can’t even go past the loading screen without it saying theres a connection issue. Would be great if someone acknowledged we’re having these problems.

Longshot.8653

Im sure tech support probably read this forum however has anyone reported this directly to tech support or even sent them a link to this thread.

Longshot.8653

Weirdly all of a sudden I have managed to get in. Anyone else had a sudden improvement?
Edit: may have spoken too soon

(edited by Longshot.8653)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m having the same problem. My internet connection can normally handle 2 computers playing GW2, the Blu-ray player streaming a movie and Spotify running in the background, but over the last week or two between 5pm and 11pm I cannot log in no matter what I do. Even on the lowest settings I get infinite load times and disconnects.

Then at 11pm it’s like someone flipped a switch and I’m back to playing without a problem.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Aurrynthea.7581

Aurrynthea.7581

I saw that too! BT swear blind they are not the problem, Anet say it’s the ISP – user stuck in the middle…

I’m not lost, I know exactly where I am…I just didn’t want to be here right now.

(edited by Aurrynthea.7581)

Posted by: Aurrynthea.7581

Aurrynthea.7581

I have the Exact same problem! On BT Infinity “Unlimited”

I can stream BBC Iplayer HD content but can’t play GW2

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Game-No-Longer-Loads-Crashes-Immediately/3672639

I’m not lost, I know exactly where I am…I just didn’t want to be here right now.

Longshot.8653

I’ve submitted a ticket to ANet just to make them aware of this thread and the BT one. Im sure they probably know but it wont do any harm to nag them into action.

Posted by: qtdogewof.8746

qtdogewof.8746

Just like to say that this isnt only happening to people on BT. I’m currently on Cablecom and use TalkTalk also and am suffering the same issue. From various other posts I’ve gathered that people on virgin are also having issues. So I very much doubt it is my ISP.

Rstk Darkblade ~ Maverick Lifekeeper ~ Pious Fervour ~ Scar Fireshot

iced cooly.5794

I know it seems a lot of people are having various lag problems and such like with GW2 but just want to say the problem this topic was created for is specific.

If you think the game is unplayable due to traffic management by your ISP then please run a glasnost test to check for certain whether your account is traffic management assigned. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php (choose the bit torrent option)

If the test confirms you are being traffic managed then check with your ISP policy to see what times of day the traffic management is enforced.

BT customers on infinity option 2 who took contracts before feb 2013 will be traffic managed and will almost certainly be experiencing this issue between 16:00 PM and 00:00 am (i think) and pretty much all weekend afternoon and evening.

Read this if you are on BT and unsure if you are traffic managed on your contract

Im sure all the other ISP`s will have something similar.