Laptop Temperature

Laptop Temperature

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

Hey all,
I have a Toshiba Satellite (forget the build number) that is about a year and a half old, and I was worried by the temperature of the CPU.

I turn it on, and it boots at ~50C and then steadies around 65C. I run GW2, and the temperatures hit 85C within minutes.

I think during my play session, it fluctuated from 83-88C. As soon as I exited GW2, it dropped like a rock down to 75C before eventually steadying at between 65-70C. I start surfing the web (some forums, Youtube, etc), and it goes back up to 70-75C.

There is a large vent on the right-side of the computer, with what looks like some smaller intakes on the bottom. I am just worried about the temperature killing the meager processor before I have a chance to upgrade to a newer computer.

I am monitoring the temperatures using SpeedFan. I can send screenshots of any diagnostics when I get home (in ~4 hours)

Laptop Temperature

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

1) make sure ur intake isnt obstructed by any material on the under side, like ur trousers, or what ever u have the laptop on.

2) Check to see if u need to clean the heat sink. If u have never cleaned it befor and other hosue hold fans tend to get rather dusty/dirty then i highley recommend taking the laptop apart and cleaning the fan/heatsink. You can also change the TIM whilst ur at it to somthing of high quality like Gelid GC Extreme.

3) Get a laptop cooling pad. It will come with its own desktop sized fan that will push air up into the bottom of the laptop that should find its way into the intake and thus lower temps.

You WILL have to take the laptop apart to clean the heat sink at some point in its lifetime, so dont avoid it if ur not keen on the idea of taking it apart. You have to get around to doing it at some point.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Laptop Temperature

Big Jay.1479

1) make sure ur intake isnt obstructed by any material on the under side, like ur trousers, or what ever u have the laptop on.

2) Check to see if u need to clean the heat sink. If u have never cleaned it befor and other hosue hold fans tend to get rather dusty/dirty then i highley recommend taking the laptop apart and cleaning the fan/heatsink. You can also change the TIM whilst ur at it to somthing of high quality like Gelid GC Extreme.

3) Get a laptop cooling pad. It will come with its own desktop sized fan that will push air up into the bottom of the laptop that should find its way into the intake and thus lower temps.

You WILL have to take the laptop apart to clean the heat sink at some point in its lifetime, so dont avoid it if ur not keen on the idea of taking it apart. You have to get around to doing it at some point.

1) I keep it on a flat surface at all times, so no obstructions
2) I will take it apart tonight for cleaning. Now to steal a can of compressed air from work…
3) Any suggestions on a good laptop cooling pad?

Laptop Temperature

Big Jay.1479

Went with the cleaning last night. The temperatures are better, but still over my comfort level.

GW2 got the temperature up to between 75-80C and after it closed, the temperature hung between 58C and 63C.

Laptop Temperature

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Gw2 pushes my laptop to about 90-95C and on rare cases 99-100 (if I turn up my heat pump to warm up the room and are doing intensive stuff like teq fights etc) Its not really a problem for me, my laptop has an i5 3210m (not too bad, I got the laptop pretty cheap a few years ago) and its tjunction is 105C, so anything less then that is fine and I don’t really worry about it, and even then, most modern cpu’s have a shut-off temperature (which I think is around 110C + where it will automatically shut itself off to avoid damage, at least that’s what I have read)

Just look up your CPU and see what temperature ratings it has, really though, you should be fine.

Laptop Temperature

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Gw2 pushes my laptop to about 90-95C and on rare cases 99-100 (if I turn up my heat pump to warm up the room and are doing intensive stuff like teq fights etc) Its not really a problem for me, my laptop has an i5 3210m (not too bad, I got the laptop pretty cheap a few years ago) and its tjunction is 105C, so anything less then that is fine and I don’t really worry about it, and even then, most modern cpu’s have a shut-off temperature (which I think is around 110C + where it will automatically shut itself off to avoid damage, at least that’s what I have read)

Just look up your CPU and see what temperature ratings it has, really though, you should be fine.

Pushing your laptop that close to maximum ratings on a regular basis is going to shorten its life.

Both you and the OP should be using cooling pads – especially for gaming.

Laptop Temperature

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Yeah, shortly after posting that I went and gave it a good clean, now I’m sitting at around 70-80C so that’s fine =p

Laptop Temperature

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Make sure heatsinks are clean, don’t use the laptop on a surface that’s going to otherwise keep it from breathing properly, playing on a table surface is ideal, make sure the fans are working, make sure there’s not a lot of crap running that’s just adding up to the overall work load.

I ran my MSI GT60’s GTX 770M on a GIGANTIC overclock (11.9 MHz faster than a reference GTX 660 on the core chip which was 980 MHz, the 770M at 991.9) and the highest temperature was around 65 degrees. I wasn’t even using the maximum fan RPM mode which is great for when the area is noisy or you’re using headphones.
The joys of a laptop built for gaming.

I also agree to use cooling pads. But if either of you guys are playing the game on an ULTRABOOK, well, that’s half the problem right there. They either have skimpy or no active cooling and rely on passive.