Nvidia 980ti overclocking and GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: kornfanxxx.9143

kornfanxxx.9143

Hi all, I have an EVGA 980ti with water cooling and been using MSI afterburner to OC, with rivatuner to moniter stats while playing.

Here’s my problem:

In alot of games I can hold an OC of 1500Mhz on my core and 3760Mhz on my memory(seperate fan keeping those cool)

second i boot up GW2 my GPU has a slight stutter then goes into limp mode, i reset my pc and bring the clock down try again, basically to the point where it’s near stock.

My question is why would my GPU perform at a high OC for much more graphically demanding games (BDO, Crysis, Witcher 3, GTA) ect.. but when running gw2 the OC becomes unstable?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Different games cause different load profiles. The obvious answer is that GW2 is doing something with the graphics pipeline that hits a pain point in the GPU and/or overclocking, showing up a problem.

Note: it could be that a weakness in some specific feature of the silicone, triggered only by gw2 of the things you run, is why it was sold with the lower clock in the first place. The manufacturers run through a battery of tests and bin parts by stability and performance, so the lower speed items are the ones that didn’t make the cut for being pushed harder at the factory…

Anyway, it’s also possible that something is going on where the single core CPU load in GW2 leads to a problem being revealed that looks like the GPU but is actually caused by something else not quite working right and/or keeping up.

It is almost certain that something else, not just GW2, could lead to the same poor GPU performance … you just happen to not run any of those games.

Posted by: Jetres.7245

Jetres.7245

gw2 is very cpu bottlenecked, even in multicore cpus, with a 980ti you probably already have more then u need. Unless you are in an area where you GPU utilization is above the threshold it wont boost further. Say if you are looking to a a wall or the floor your clocks will probably go down. its totally normal.
make sure you are not being dragged down by cpu utilization.
If not it could be a driver issue…
Check also for overlays like rivatunerstatistics and geforce experience, make sure none of them is limiting ur fps and capping ur gpu.

Clevo P170em Win10 x64 Insider | GTX 970M 6gb @1383/2815Mhz | Geforce 378.78

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

Jetres ? You can only compare if you measure : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bad-Frames-with-great-hardware/first#post6425091

Kornfanxx : there’s more then only temperature: stressing both gpu and cpu can cause powerdips hence memory failures certainly when overclocked. Only when you measure all parameters you will see what happens.