Promised Update - Highly Disappointed

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Well I won’t say I’m surprised, but at the time of this post it is the end of the work day in Washington State, Anet time 5:30 P.M.. We were promised an update regarding the Mac client by the end of the week. It is end of the week, Friday, April 4 2014.

March 31st, 12:03
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-raise-your-feedback-chance/first#post3838413

I wanted to follow up with you on this one, as I feel it is important. We will have an update for you later this week, and you’ll see it in the Mac Client Beta sub-forum. I know y’all would love info sooner, but we’re pulling lots of info together so we can give you a proper status update. Thanks for your patience!

Even when it was challenged if it was a joke we got this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/April-Feature-Pack-Will-we-see-any-updates/first#post3840598

Better not be April Fool Day!!!

I would never do that to you! Promise!

I feel let down and I think all your Mac customers feel the same. As a customer that used to buy lots of gems (over $900 worth) I’m sticking with my gem buying boycott until Anet can prove they have some respect for Mac customers.

Thanks for letting us down again…. It means a lot to us.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Aigisthos.3059

Aigisthos.3059

Yeah, I’ve got to admit that I am pretty upset as well. Silence may be disappointing but promises unkept? That really hurts.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I was ready to buy some gems to get more bag space today if they announced something positive. I didn’t make a purchase today because we were instead continued to be treated with disrespect. I would have been fine with a “hey guys, the announcement has been delayed” or something like that. But what do we get? The usual. Silence.

Posted by: DragonXRose.8534

DragonXRose.8534

i came online this morning with some expectations and they’re crushed :/ really, is it so hard to leave a little message if there is delay? i’m disappointed A-net.

GANDARA -The Searing- [TS]
Cypressa Belladonna / Yhana Belladonna / Siri Vargsdottir / Kata Sharpe
Siri Meccano / Ysana Deathpale / Siri Bladedancer / Siri Strongheart

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

Guys…if they promise the update, it will come out in the next days for sure.
In real life, I’m a developer: I code everyday at every hour….and there is a law in te developer’s world: IF YOU PLAN TO FINISH A WORK IN X DAYS, YOU NEED X+1/2 X TO FINISH THAT WORK.

I trust them, so…just wait for the update coming in the next days.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

In real life, I’m a developer: I code everyday at every hour….and there is a law in te developer’s world: IF YOU PLAN TO FINISH A WORK IN X DAYS, YOU NEED X+1/2 X TO FINISH THAT WORK.

The issue isn’t whether or not they’re still working on it.
The issue is that they haven’t said anything about it. If you say, ‘we will have an update for you later this week’, then people are going to expect it. If you’re still working on it by that time then you need to tell people, otherwise it looks like you’re just ignoring them.

Dany Little Star.2837

The issue is that they haven’t said anything about it. If you say, ‘we will have an update for you later this week’, then people are going to expect it. If you’re still working on it by that time then you need to tell people, otherwise it looks like you’re just ignoring them.

Here you are right. Anyway…let’s wait. Now the client is not that bad.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s pretty bad for a lot of people.
Personally don’t experience any issues with it, but it still performs dreadfully in comparison to GW2 running in Windows on the same machine.

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t even take CC Danicia’s comment as saying they are actually updating the Mac client at this time. I took it as we were going to get an update as to the status of the client, known issues, and what their plans for the client are in the future. That’s how CC described it in her message as a “proper status update.” This is something we have been asking for for some time and we thought we were finally going to get one.

The Burninator

Posted by: Aigisthos.3059

Aigisthos.3059

Here you are right. Anyway…let’s wait. Now the client is not that bad.

Dany, they are not updating the client. They had just promised to give us a written update as to the current state of the client. There is no excuse. It would have literally taken them 30 seconds to say, “Hey guys, we’re really sorry but it’s not coming this week.”

As for your mention of coding, as a freelance game composer I can tell you that that is definitely a bad idea. If you know it’s going to take you “x” amount of days and tell them fewer then you are building a poor reputation. Do not let your talent get overshadowed by something like that. If you cannot guarantee a specific day then explain that to your team but never make promises you cannot keep if you want to build good professional relationships. Just my two cents on that. Hope you don’t mind.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Yeah, I don’t think anyone was expecting them to release a non-beta OpenGL client or something like that. The most I was hoping for was them saying that they will be reviewing their QA procedures to ensure that major patches will stop having significant bugs on release. I doubt they’ll do that, though.

The most realistic thing I was hoping for was for them to start treating this like an actual beta. Where they will inform us here what to expect and where they’d like us to help them test (e.g., we’re dramatically changing parts of the engine, the game will likely have performance bugs for you).

Worst case was them ignoring us and continuing to advertise the Mac beta while selling their game . Yes, this is the worst case in my opinion (and what happened). Them announcing they will no longer officially support the mac client would be better because at least it would be closer to the truth of the situation. We’ve had to fix their bugs for our selves on more than one occasion.

Edit: I mean they haven’t even bothered themselves to update the known issues thread. Everything about the BLTC section is now out of date. There is a mention of an LA bug that doesn’t exist anymore because LA doesn’t exist in that state anymore. And the movement control break bug can be fixed by command tabbing out and back into the game. Quitting and restarting won’t fix it sometimes (as seen by the updater bug from late last year). The update notes haven’t been updated in over a year despite us having had some fixes.

(edited by Nageth.5648)

Dany Little Star.2837

Of course guys…we all Mac users are sad for their silence. Hope in something replies about the status of this update in the next days.

Posted by: Kioshi.6597

Kioshi.6597

They always say “we really do read all your topics”. I just can’t believe this though.
If they ignore us while most are just crying out for a reaction (Anet, not a patch but a reaction!), I know they can’t think, “ah I can’t really say anything new about this so I will just say nothing for now”. For me this proves they look at this max once per week.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

They always say “we really do read all your topics”. I just can’t believe this though.
If they ignore us while most are just crying out for a reaction (Anet, not a patch but a reaction!), I know they can’t think, “ah I can’t really say anything new about this so I will just say nothing for now”. For me this proves they look at this max once per week.

That is pretty much exactly what happens though. This is best-practice of how to manage forum discussions (not just here, in any managed online community). Do not communicate unless you can provide a satisfactory answer, as anything else will just provoke more inappropriate reactions, and as a result cause the need of spending more resources on management that could be used more productively elsewhere.

Look at the posts in this thread. Does that look like an audience that is even trying to comprehend the reality of developing a game as complex as this within the confinements of available resources? Do they look like they even care about any of the dozens of reasons that can cause unforseen delays in deployment of a patch?

Unless you can provide them with exactly what they want, it’s better to just not communicate at all. That is sad as hell, but it’s the only kind of reaction this community allows.

JustTrogdor.7892

Look at the posts in this thread. Does that look like an audience that is even trying to comprehend the reality of developing a game as complex as this within the confinements of available resources? Do they look like they even care about any of the dozens of reasons that can cause unforseen delays in deployment of a patch?

We were not expecting an updated client or patch. We were expecting a statement on the status of the Mac client because we were told, and promised we would get one by the end of the week. A statement as to where the client stands, again not expecting a patch. Several of us stated just that in the posts you must have read in order to develop you opinion on the matter.

You’re right about one thing though, they should not have promised something they were not prepared to deliver and at the very least should have had the courtesy at the end of the week to tell us their status update has been delayed.

The Burninator

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator