Random Black Screen, Very Frustrating! :(

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Anthrax.1026

Anthrax.1026

What’s up guys, noticed a lot of people are having this problem and have found no solution…
I get a random black screen and have to force close the gw2 process.
I constantly disconnect when I hop to another map and I cannot logout to the character select screen…
Sometimes when I waypoint to another map my loading screen flicks between the map I was on, and the one I’m going to a few times then the game just crashes.

Things I have tried:
- Reinstalled it completely (even deleted cache folder in appdata)
- Reinstalled video card drivers
- Repaired directx
- Changed the anti aliasing mode in the nvidia settings
- Ran the NCSoft Game Advisor (attatched)
- Port forwarded my router
- Disabled AVG anti-virus
- I am running 2 GTX 570 cards in SLI which power 3 monitors ( I have tried to play with just one, still crashes)
- No other game has issues like this at all

As you can see I’ve basically tried everything under the sun to no avail…
If anyone has a fix for this it’d be greatly appreciated, it’s super frustrating and I just love the game to bits!

If you need any more info, I will provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

What’s up guys, noticed a lot of people are having this problem and have found no solution…
I get a random black screen and have to force close the gw2 process.
I constantly disconnect when I hop to another map and I cannot logout to the character select screen…
Sometimes when I waypoint to another map my loading screen flicks between the map I was on, and the one I’m going to a few times then the game just crashes.

Things I have tried:
- Reinstalled it completely (even deleted cache folder in appdata)
- Reinstalled video card drivers
- Repaired directx
- Changed the anti aliasing mode in the nvidia settings
- Ran the NCSoft Game Advisor (attatched)
- Port forwarded my router
- Disabled AVG anti-virus
- I am running 2 GTX 570 cards in SLI which power 3 monitors ( I have tried to play with just one, still crashes)
- No other game has issues like this at all

As you can see I’ve basically tried everything under the sun to no avail…
If anyone has a fix for this it’d be greatly appreciated, it’s super frustrating and I just love the game to bits!

If you need any more info, I will provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Just checking here, but you don’t overclock, do you? If so, set everything back to stock settings and try playing the game.

It may sound dumb, but lets make sure your temperatures on the CPU and GPU are alright. If you don’t already have software that monitors the GPU and CPU temperature, then I recommend getting HWMonitor, which can be found here:
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.23-setup.exe

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

(edited by Ilithis Mithilander.3265)

Anthrax.1026

Everything is watercooled and running at stock speeds.
Currently winter here in Australia and I monitor my temps vigorously, nothing in my PC has tipped past 30C in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Everything is watercooled and running at stock speeds.
Currently winter here in Australia and I monitor my temps vigorously, nothing in my PC has tipped past 30C in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’m not sure what else it could be, I would try sending ArenaNet a support ticket and see what they have to say on the matter. Most likely they’ll blame your ISP, but I’m curious to see what they say.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Anthrax.1026

Currently downgrading to 306.23 drivers. Let’s see how that goes.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I had a similar issue. I changed my Reflections setting and that seems to have helped. I haven’t had the black screen since I changed that.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Black-screen-and-GW2-stops-responding/first#post2407188

Orion Templar.4589

I take it back. Just had the random black screen again even after the Reflection setting was changed. Ug.

Posted by: eGn.7029

eGn.7029

I just checked your Guild Wars 2 Test. txt file, do not use Geforce R320.xx display driver. The worst driver launch with the Geforce 700 series. Head to Nvidia forum, you see huge long list of people having random crash with this trash driver. I personally run GTX 780 SLI tried all the Geforce R320.xx version, same issue.

Guild Wars 2 Graphic Max Setting (Crash, Client Stop responding, Display Driver failed but has recovered), Windows Event Viewer (Huge long list of nvlddmkm error).

The only solution fix for now is use Geforce 314.22 WHQL. I didn’t have any crash,client stop responding or display driver failed but has recovered for the past 5 days since i use it. My Windows Event Viewer don’t even have any nvlddmkm error.

Please follow guru3d method to uninstall your Geforce Display Driver in a correct way.
Head there and download this software call Driver Sweeper and follow the instruction.

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Please let us know if the 314.22 WHQL driver fix your problem. Cheers ~!

Anthrax.1026

Thanks for the suggestion!
I tried the reflection setting, no luck.
306.23 didn’t work either (although there was a definite performance boost).

Going to try 314.22 very soon, I’ll get back to you asap.

~aX

Posted by: Direwind.8409

Direwind.8409

you are having a driver issue, please FULLY uninstall your graphic drivers, run a driver sweeper, making sure all driver reg keys and bits are gone, reinstall the drivers and it should be fixed.

also you may have tools such as evga precision running that link into the drivers, this can some times cause the issue.

also, make sure you are using either the 320.49 drivers, or the second lot of drivers down because the last revision of the drivers were unstable with this game.

i know you issue well, i have had it a lot.

Orion Templar.4589

I had been on GeForce driver 320 when I was seeing the periodic black screen and the Windows event viewer told me the video driver had stopped and had recovered while playing GW2. I tried reverting to driver 314 to see how well that would work. What I observed was that the black screen doesn’t appear to be happening, however in certain areas of the game world (such as near Junkers Waypoint in Black Citadel) the FPS would drop drastically. (Like going from 60 down to 9.) When I disabled Reflections, the FPS went back up to normal. My hypothesis is that with Reflections enabled, when things get too much for the driver to handle, 314 slows down, but 320 just crashes. I may be wrong in that hypothesis, but at least for now with driver 314 and Reflections disabled, I think I’m back in business.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Ah, the infamous black screen issue. Sorry you’re having to deal with this guy – it can definitely be a pain, mostly due to the fact that there are a number of different causes and so some troubleshooting will need to be had.

A couple of things: I’d highly recommend updating your Windows to Service Pack 1. You can do this by clicking the Start button and typing in “Windows Update” in the search bar. I’d install all critical updates.

Next, you’ve got quite a few applications running. It wouldn’t hurt to eliminate any background apps as being a possible variable that could be contributing to this issue via Msconfig. If that doesn’t resolve the issue for you, you can always re-enable them.

Lastly, though you had mentioned you port forwarded appropriately, have you tried bypassing your router all together and connecting directly to the modem?

Posted by: Dutch Rental.8360

Dutch Rental.8360

@ Ashley Segovia
Do you also have an possible solution for driver has stopped working and has bin recoverd?
when it crashes it caps my fps to 10 and having some major input lagg from my mouse and keyboard

running an
amd fx 6300 black editon on 3.5 ghz
8Gb ddr3 ram at 1333 mhz
ssd
hd radeon 7790 1gb oc edition

plz i tried some sulotions and nothing works
i need to restart my pc everytime it crashed

Regards

p.s running latest ati drivers same isseu with older versions
also i have no isseus on overheating my cpu is 45 celcius on full load as for my gfx card its 35 celcius on full load

80 Guardian
Veteran of Far Shiverpeaks since headstart

(edited by Dutch Rental.8360)

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

It may sound stupid (i.e. why would my router cause a graphic problem?), but don’t ignore this step:

have you tried bypassing your router all together and connecting directly to the modem?

I never had the black screen issue until one time when my ADSL was having terrible packet loss for a few days, and I decided to play via 3G with my phone tethered to my PC instead.

Anytime I would connect through the phone I would get random black screens, but going back to my router I wouldn’t have the problem.

So if you have any alternative network equipment, or can eliminate some, it’s worth your time to test with it.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Orion Templar.4589

Earlier I thought GeForce driver 314 and having Reflections off was a workaround, but today I had the black screen and driver crash/recover even with that combination. It looks like I don’t have a solution after all. I went back to the latest 320 driver and turned Reflections back on. At least the game will be prettier between driver crashes.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I recently was forced to upgrade to GTX 660TIs after one of my 570’s went south. Imagine my horror when I installed the new cards and loaded GW2. The screen flickered at character select and upon logging in went black. After a pile of not so nice language and banging my head on the desk to make it feel better I found the culprit. The SLI bridge connector that I purchased when I got the new cards was loose on the boards. If I jiggled it the screen would either clear up or the opposite, go black.

I used a different bridge cable and have had no further problems except the other day when I was doing some routine dusting and cleaning the filters. When I had the case open I bumped the SLI bridge and did not notice it until I was in GW2 and in WvW. The air flow from the fans must have finished the job as the screen went black although I was still in the game. I had to open the case and push that silly bridge back into place.

I mentioned this in the slim hopes that it may help a few people with NVIDIA and running SLI.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Nasher.6874

Nasher.6874

Check what the card’s core clocks are actually reaching when playing the game. I’ve been plagued by random system lockups in certain games using a 670gtx and I have found that the card is hitting 1145mhz, when it’s only supposed to max out at 1045 under boost! Usually downclocking slightly, or upping voltages fixes it (but not completely for gw2 it seems :/ )

Most games won’t push the graphics card to it’s limit so you don’t see this problem. E.g. in SWTOR my card rarely even goes above 900mhz with 200 players nearby (and unlike GW 90% of them don’t get culled). Yet for some reason GW2 thrashes the hell out of it when there is barely anything on screen.

(edited by Nasher.6874)

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

@ Dutch Rental – That sounds like the TDR bug we’ve seen before, but you’ve got an AMD card and so this couldn’t be the same case but it sounds similar. I’d recommend submitting a Technical Support ticket so we can gather some more info from you and better assist you one on one

Anthrax.1026

Hey guys, sorry haven’t checked this thread out in a long while.

A few hours ago I formatted my windows partition, re-installed windows and installed nvidia drivers 314.22 WHQL.

Still got the black screen :\

Unfortunately, I have no way of bypassing my router (Netgear D6300).

Any other suggestions? Could it be GW2 itself?

Anthrax.1026

UPDATE:

I think I may have fixed my issue!
I googled ‘netgear gw2’ and found a bunch of threads with people that had the same router as me.

I went into the router setup > WAN setup and ticked ’ Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection’.

So far I haven’t had a black screen. I’ll keep testing and get back to you if it happens.

Orion Templar.4589

I was really hoping the latest game updates from Cutthroat Politics would have included a fix for the black screen issue. Unfortunately the problem still appears to be there. When I have Reflections turned on it seems to happen more frequently (especially in Lion’s Arch). However even with Reflections off and the frame limiter set to 60 the black screen still occurs. The Windows event log reports that the video driver stopped responding and then recovered itself. After the driver recovers, the game runs choppy and at reduced FPS until the next map load.

Orion Templar.4589

My symptoms were often a couple seconds of black screen followed by a video driver recovery and reduced FPS until the next map load. Less frequently the crash would be worse and the computer would power down. After turning it back on the Windows event viewer would tell be I had a STOP crash with an error code that most forums say is hardware-related.

I originally didn’t think it was heat related since my temps never seemed to get very high, but I wasn’t using an on-screen thermometer application, so when I’d periodically minimize GW2 to check the GPU temp, it had dropped a bit so I wasn’t getting an accurate reading of temp while in-game.

When running a video card diagnostic that did wireframe shading that pushed the GPU I noticed I could recreate the STOP crash when GPU temps got to about 75C. I know others regularly run their cards into the 80’s, but for some reason about 75C appears to be the most my GPU can handle.

As a workaround I’m now experimenting with using EVGA Precision X to set my power target to 50%. Running the video card diagnostic mentioned above my temps now stay in the 60’s and low 70’s and I no longer recreated the STOP crash.

Playing GW2 I have not noticed a reduction in FPS yet, so using the 50% power target doesn’t appear to have too bad a tradeoff. I’ll keep an eye on it for a while. If the black screens disappear, or if they keep happening, I’ll post another update here. I just wanted to provide an update on this issue since I know a lot of others had been posting about it.

Orion Templar.4589

I have not had a driver crash/recovery or a black screen since changing my power target to 50%. It’s looking like this is proving to be a solid workaround for me. I’m not sure if this will help others seeing this issue or not, but hopefully it can help someone. I’ve been pleased with the results thus far.

Posted by: AnTieViL.6189

AnTieViL.6189

Hey ive also had black screen problems since i bought the game i got a old pc but plays the game no lag on full graphics so seems like its new enough but i get the black screen after about 5-10 minutes every time

here is my specs any suggestions i pretty much tried everything
ive also linked the DXdiag.txt file

ECS GF7100/7050PVT-m3
intel quad 2 core Q8200 @ 2.33 ghz
4096 mb RAM (4GB ram )
palit nvidia geforce 9600 GT 2536 mb ram

ive got all the latest software
Windows 8
Direct x 11
latest Graphics update
and i also downloaded a software update program and it says all software up to date

also tryed many things like downloaded the pc temp checking program

pls help played a month of this game with black screen im really getting sick of re-opening the program every 5 minutes

Thanx for all help
AnTieViL

Attachments:

Posted by: Jontn.2741

Jontn.2741

I’m having the same issue with a Radeon HD 6850. I don’t have any trouble like that in any games.

Posted by: Athin.7250

Athin.7250

We’ve been having this issue too. Thing is we never experience this before when the game launched and now we are getting it quite frequently. We got a new graphics card thinking it was the card causing this issue but even with the new one, we are still seeing this issue. Our current card is GeForce GTX 660. We tried all the recommended things. Drivers are up to date. Changed to every configuration of the Antialiasing settings we could and still no results, tried playing in windowed and full screen with different resolutions. Nothing worked. There is little to no information in these forums or outside them on how to fix this or even if they are working on them. I’m just hearing more and more cases of these black screens appearing to others across a variety of video cards and starting to think that it may be time to switch games if they don’t think this is a big enough issue to fix. Too bad, was fun when it was working

Posted by: Jalen Du.3562

Jalen Du.3562

wel I got it again playing game for say 30 minutes and poof screen blaxk and I have to restart the pc twice to get it al working again I have not played for few weeks because trhe last time it was think 6th or 7th time it happen and I do not like to try again because I can not imagine that this crashing is really good for pc and for windows so far all is updated I checked and my videocard is great to and hope you not tell I need to change things because I play alot of games and this is really the only game that has this bad crashing issue so I really not think it is my side and see here that there are more who has this problem so I really think it is something in the game somewhere that make this happen can not going to say that all the crashing people have bad pc or windows and it is not the game sorry I do not believe that and this happen to me like 2 months ago first time and from then it just keep doing that so I hoped with every update it will be gone but no way so guess this makes me not going to play this game for much while I really had so much fun I even put some money into it like most maybe did but think that is finished now to I mean I can hardly p;ay without crashing and can not think that is real fun anymore so please fix this problem so I can play normally like I did from the beginning I mean just wholes days and no crashings that would be such fun

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

I was having the same problems as described in this and other threads. After trying all the standard fixes I downloaded and re-installed Adobe Flash and Shockwave along with a new Java runtime. Since then I have played the game all day without a single crash.
I’m using an Nvidia GTX 760 with the 331.93 drivers…

Hope this helps
-M

Posted by: Kraeje.5861

Kraeje.5861

i had that problem almost since start, only now and then, sometimes twice in one evening, sometimes nothing for weeks.

tonight i had the blackscreen about 20 times. i log in, play for 10 to 30 minutes and it appears. with very low graphic settings i might ad.

i understand there are a LOT of possibilities that could cause the problem. as it sometimes appears 20 times in a row and other times not even once a week, to me it seams almost impossible to troubleshoot and is very frustrating.

the game should really detect and retrace the problem, give the user a clue what might have caused it whenever it appears. (at the very least if it is network or graphic related -.-)

Posted by: Jontn.2741

Jontn.2741

Ok, do not say anymore it’s related to the graphic card, I had a ADM ATI HD 6950 and I was having this trouble, last night I received my new nvidia GTX 770 and I still have the exact same trouble.

I’m using Windows 7 SPI on a 64 bit quad 3.4 ghz cpu.

Posted by: terrabadnZ.9236

terrabadnZ.9236

Yeah Same problem here. I play about 5minutes before it goes blackscreen and have to end process. The game played fine at launch and only thing I’ve changed is my router. I have a Netgear D6300 And it is the absolute worse so I’m thinking it’s something to do with that

Posted by: Athin.7250

Athin.7250

UPDATE We tried to download all the things above that MFoy suggesting but had no luck. It seems that once it starts happens, they tend to get more frequent until we just give up playing. We thought it may be the video card overheating but the game crashed out at 60c after we had a temp gauge put in. I’ve never had this issue on my comp and I’ve peak at 80c for my core temp. I truly am lost at what to do other then stop playing

Posted by: vdmoz.8901

vdmoz.8901

I have been dealing with the same problem. Are you port forwarding? If your connection is dropping it could cause the game to freeze and a black screen. Try port forwarding if you haven’t already. I had a black screen today. I managed to get out of it and I noticed that my connection had dropped. Also I downloaded afterburner and my temps were fine.