Setup download stops at 10135 kb

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Pilgrim Dread.6847

Pilgrim Dread.6847

Well, finally got it working. Installing as we speak.
After following all of the above suggestions to no avail I went into Windows Update (for XP, under control panal → security center → windows updater ) and downloaded every single (nonessential, software, and hardware) update available from Microsoft’s website. No idea why I didn’t think of this earlier, but now it’s working.
I hope this helps some people. Good Luck and see y’all in game!
: )

Posted by: jazzking.3128

jazzking.3128

i also have GW2 on my laptop, and i DID NOT have this issue.
i entered the game and it updated with no issue

Posted by: JLPate.5439

JLPate.5439

@Creature.9476

Thank You For Responding, I Haven’t Been Able To Get Anyone Else To Help, I Just Bought/Ordered A New Card, So Hopefully When I Get It & Install It, It Will Work Fingers Crossed

Posted by: Tulkas.7923

Tulkas.7923

For those who may be running windows 7 using Boot Camp on a mac, here is what finally resolved this issue for my friend and I.

While in windows, insert the mac OSX installer disc, and it should pop up a menu saying " installing nVidia driver updates" or something along those lines. Follow the prompts, and after trying EVERYTHING else we could think of to no avail, this one little solution made everything work great. Good luck everyone

Posted by: solfizz.5730

solfizz.5730

Hi, great community of help so far!

I am trying to install the game through the online downloader and it is crashing anywhere between every 1 second to 5 minutes. I was previously able to play so I KNOW that the game works on my laptop – and very well, even with the Intel HD 3000 graphics. However I no longer have the discs because I threw them out due to overplaying, LOL. I am downloading it again because 1) I think I can exercise better self control this time and 2) obviously it’s the only way to play without buying the game again…or can I try borrowing a friend’s copy?

After uninstalling GW2 the first time could there be a conflict with any leftover files and the download through the installer that’s currently going on? I’ve disabled many windows processes, run GW2.exe as administrator, and turned off anti-virus. After continuing to experience this problem, I’ve even deleted some of the registry files with Guild Wars 2 associated to them. Plus my computer generally runs with minimal background apps to begin with.

When it crashes, the installer will bring up another window that says that a serious error has occurred; when prompted to send an error report…to my chagrin even THAT reports its own error! Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Alexander.5920

Alexander.5920

My game currently downloads all the files(on the launcher screen) except for 5 of them, this is the point at which the connection goes to 0.0kb/s, i close out of the launcher then open it again and it downloads 248kbs every time then stops and goes back to 0.0kb/s

(edited by Alexander.5920)

Posted by: willowize.9423

willowize.9423

Having same issues as others. I can not install, it runs to 14,143kb then screen disappears then reappears with 0kb/0kb for about 2 secs and then disappears and nothing. attaching yesterdays test to see if my system is compatible or if I have other issues. Heading in to work and will check back later. Thanks for any help.

Posted by: TheMentos.5936

TheMentos.5936

I’m also encountering this problem. I’ve tried a lot of different things and I believe updating my drivers would fix it. My computer is currently running the version from 2011/08/25. On the amd site there is an updated version from 8/15/2012, but when I try to install it, the installer loads about 3/4 full really quickly then completely disappears. I really don’t see how I can ever get passed this problem if I cannot install the update. Im running an acer aspire 7745g windows 7 64bit w/ ati mobility radeon hd 5650.

Posted by: Rekthar.3095

Rekthar.3095

I have the same problem and I have tried shutting down F-secure and firewall and allowed incoming and outcoming ports 80,443,6112 and 6600 and ran it as admistator.
Please help me. I have tried to solve this like 9-10 hours yesterday and getting frustrated. One thing that I can’t understand is that how I can’t install it from CD’s? I haven’t had any problems with any other game so far so don’t know what you did here wrong.

Posted by: arigold.7146

arigold.7146

i have the same problem, everything was running fine yesterday until i turned my comp on today. i open gw2 then it downloads to 10145kb and then closes. tried disabling firewall and norton ect…
also im running the same amount of processes when the game worked yesterday, nothing has changed on my computer. please help

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

For people trying to install from disk, try downloading Gw2Setup.exe from:
https://account.guildwars2.com/download/win

Once downloaded, run this file to run a more recent version of the installer. There’s a known issue that has been blocking a very small number of players from installing from the .exe included on the retail disks.

-Bill

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Well, finally got it working. Installing as we speak.
After following all of the above suggestions to no avail I went into Windows Update (for XP, under control panal -> security center -> windows updater ) and downloaded every single (nonessential, software, and hardware) update available from Microsoft’s website. No idea why I didn’t think of this earlier, but now it’s working.
I hope this helps some people. Good Luck and see y’all in game!
: )

This was most likely not having Service Pack 2 or later, which is REQUIRED to play the game . I say this with all caps because it will block the updating process without some of the security updates included in these service packs.

If you haven’t already, make sure to install Service Pack 1, 2, and 3 if you have Windows XP!

-Bill

Posted by: Ukira.9510

Ukira.9510

Same problem. Can someone please help? I really wish to play this game.

Posted by: arigold.7146

arigold.7146

this is getting frustrating, not just for me but for others aswell

Posted by: Ukira.9510

Ukira.9510

this is getting frustrating, not just for me but for others aswell

Agreed.

Posted by: willowize.9423

willowize.9423

For people trying to install from disk, try downloading Gw2Setup.exe from:
https://account.guildwars2.com/download/win

Once downloaded, run this file to run a more recent version of the installer. There’s a known issue that has been blocking a very small number of players from installing from the .exe included on the retail disks.

-Bill

Still does not work for me. This does the exact same thing as the disc does. Like everyone else I’d say this is very frustrating. I am almost to the end of my patience but I so want to play this game.

Posted by: Zestyenchilada.2783

Zestyenchilada.2783

I need Help!!
every time I try to use my guild wars setup it stops at 10415 I have tried everything any help?

Posted by: TheMentos.5936

TheMentos.5936

Hate to say it but at this point I would just like a refund. Bought the game on the release date and haven’t been able to play.

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

My loader also crashes immediately on start, was fine until yesterday, with:
—> Crash <—
Assertion: Failed to load file.
File: ..\..\..\Services\LoadHandle\LoadHandle.cpp(142)
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 8748
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 15477
When: 2012-09-09T16:50:23Z 2012-09-09T17:50:23+01:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:00:02
Flags: 0
—> Error Logs <—
Warning: changing size of versioned file 0×0002ac70:0×00029b3c from 485829 to 296043
Warning: changing size of versioned file 0×00003c8c:0×00002ba4 from 485836 to 296050
Decode was cancelled in the middle of a file-load (0×0004846b0). Corrupted?
File size mismatch from archive for 0×0004846b0; expected = 170812, actual = 109784
File 0×0004846b not found in main archive.
Deleting file 0×0004846b
Failed to load file 0×0004846b0

VirtualBS.3165

Been able to make it work by setting the compatibility flag to “Windows XP SP3”…

Posted by: Robtag.5261

Robtag.5261

Hey sorry but I have the same issue, although I previously was able to get onto the game I had to uninstall and now am unable to install, I’ve ran the advisor and hope you can help me

VirtualBS.3165

Been able to make it work by setting the compatibility flag to “Windows XP SP3”…

This makes the launcher work, but gets me a black screen upon entering the game.

Posted by: Californiakid.2054

Californiakid.2054

Can someone check mine to see if it works

Posted by: TaylorKH.2108

TaylorKH.2108

I am now having the same problem, I had this when I first bought the game, but was finally able to get the game to download, but my progress was stopped everytime by a frozen cutscene after defeating big nose ted in the human commener storyline, i reinstalled the game and created a new characted, the game ran relatively well most of the time at 20-35 fps, but then my progress was stopped when the game loaded tried to load the accusation level for the human dead sister campaign, i was able to roam anywhere but that level, now i tried reinstalling and am having the same problems as the other people, I have tried internet client and off the disks, I should also mention that the only time it worked was when i plugged into the modem and downloaded from there although it doesn’t work now

(edited by TaylorKH.2108)

Posted by: cloudycolors.8916

cloudycolors.8916

I’m having this exactly same issue. I bought the discs, disabled McAffee, ran as admin, and it does nothing. If I rename it, or mess with it I can get some files such as .DAT and .TMP but then the blank launcher appears and disappears. My DAT file downloaded to 14.1 GB, but the launcher won’t do anything else. My graphics card drivers may be old but it says it meets the minimum requirements, or I can’t find new updates of it. Here’s my issue :/

I am running on Windows XP SP3, so I can’t use that compatibility mode.

Posted by: Creature.9476

Creature.9476

I know you ahve all heard plenty of crap advice so far and maybe you are going to dismiss this as crap as well, but here goes none the less:

1) Make sure you run your Windows update and install all available updates. Once that is done, reboot and check again for updates. Keep rebooting and checking until there are no updates to be applied.
2) Make sure your antivirus is up to date. If you still are unsure if the antivirus is blocking the installer/launcher from running you can disable your antivirus temporarily as well.
3) Make sure you only have 1 antivitus program installed. I have read many reports over the past week that told me people have 2 antivirus programs running at once. They do not like to play nice with each other and will mess your computer up.
4) Check to see you have the latest drivers for your videocard.

For NVidia go here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
Do not be afraid to download and install the drivers labeled as beta. 306.2 actually has some specific Guild Wars 2 improvements built into it.

For ATI go here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Make sure you get the Catalyst 12.8 download and also the one under it, the Catalyst Application Profile (CAP) 12.8 CAP 2. This has some specific improvements for Guild Wars 2 added to it.

5) And I know that you will all hate hearing this, but check that your videocard is capable of running the game. Simply google your videocard with the word wiki (I.e. “radeon 6700 wiki” or “GT 620 wiki”) and the wikipedai page usually tells you the specs. What you want is more than 128 MB of RAM and very important: Shader Model 3.0 or higher supported!
6) And let’s not forget to right click the game and select “Run as administrator” if you are on Vista or Windows 7. I know, you are the only account on your computer and you are the administrator. Trust me, it makes a difference.

I know this won’t get the game running for everyone, but trust me when I say that half the issues (if not more) of not being able to launch or install are caused by the actual computer you are on, not the game.

Good luck, and hope to see you in game!

Knowledge is meant to be shared

(edited by Creature.9476)

Creature.9476

@Californiakid.2054

I am sorry to say that your cideocard is below the minimum requirements. To play the game you will have to upgrade at least the videocard of your system.

Creature.9476

@cloudycolors.8916

You do not need to use compatibility mode my friend, even under Win 7 that doesn’t actually make it run better. It makes it worse

Your problem is unfortunately your videocard. Since it is on board, you cannot upgrade that card. The Intel GMA 3000 that you have only supports up to Shader Model 2.0b and you need at least support for 3.0. I am sorry to say your system does not meet the minimum requirements for running the game.

Creature.9476

@TaylorKH.2108

Your system should be capable of running the game, I checked out the model number on the vendor website. That being said, you are runnign a plethora of software in the background that may be the cause of your issue.

Before you try again, try these three steps:

1) Run Windows updates and install all updates and reboot. Rinse and repeat until you have no more updates to install.
2) Get the latest videocard driver for your computer here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/UL80Jt/#download
3) Disable all startup services and reboot. You can re-enable them if you keep track of what you disable. You can disable them using this method:

1) Open your Start Menu and type in the box “msconfig” (no quotation marks) and press Enter.
2) In the program that opens, go to the tab called Services and check the box in the bottom called Hide all Microsoft services
3) Now disable all services and keep track of what you disable so you can later enable it again. If you don’t care, just hit Disable all
4) Restart your computer and all those background programs will no longer start

Creature.9476

@Robtag.5261

Your videocard drivers are not properly recognized by your Windows. I’m willing to bet that is your problem. Make sure Windows is completely up to date and then reinstall your drivers. See below:

Display Devices
———————-
Card name:
Manufacturer:
Chip type:
DAC type:
Device Key: Enum\
Display Memory: n/a
Dedicated Memory: n/a
Shared Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 × 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Driver Name:
Driver File Version: ()
Driver Version:
DDI Version: unknown
Driver Model: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: , 0 bytes

Creature.9476

@Zestyenchilada.2783

I am sorry to report that the chipset of your videocard, the R300 schipset of ATI’s Radeon line, only supports up to Shader Model 2.0 and that means your computer does not meet the minimum requirements to run Guild Wars 2.

Creature.9476

@Ukira.9510

I’m having some problems pinning down if your videocard does or does not support Shader Model 3.0 Some sites claim your chipset does, and others claim it does not. So I will not make that claim, I’ll elave that up to someone else.

I will however not that you have an amazing amount of running processes on your computer. Try running the following steps to clear that up a little and it might help (while I keep looking for the spec on your card):

1) Open your Start Menu and type in the box “msconfig” (no quotation marks) and press Enter.
2) In the program that opens, go to the tab called Services and check the box in the bottom called Hide all Microsoft services
3) Now disable all services and keep track of what you disable so you can later enable it again. If you don’t care, just hit Disable all

— Edit —

Hah! Found it! You should have support for Shader Model 3.0 You may have probles where video RAM is concerned though. You need 256 MB of RAm and technically your card has no dedicated RAM, only shared. So unfortunately it’s beyond my wisdom to tell you if you meet the minimum requirements ro not.

I would still suggest a videocard upgrade though. You are meeting the minimum requirements just barely, so if you get it to run it won’t run nice. It will run just barely. (Not trying to sound like a jerk, but I want to set realistic expectations.)

(edited by Creature.9476)

Creature.9476

@arigold.7146

Now you pose an interesting problem. It worked before and not anymore? Have you verified you downloaded and installed any new updates for your videocard drivers and Windows?

In my professions, the question is always: what has changed? So what is different between when it worked and not now?

Alexander.5920

creature can you give me a hand with this, my patch gets stuck at 5 files remaining and it will not budge, i can give you whatever you need in info

Creature.9476

@Alexander.5920

Of course man, I’ll do my best here!

First, I need to ask if you have any Windows updates you can still do. It seems to me that you still have a few critical updates to do (after reading your text file).

There could be a ton of reasons, if the installer runs though it is likely that there is a problem with the files themselves (the ones it wants to download or update) and the Widnows updates may very well resolve your problems.

Alexander.5920

service pack 1 for windows 7 im downloading it now, but idk if it’ll make a difference haha ill try tho

Posted by: cloudycolors.8916

cloudycolors.8916

Well this is pointless then. You’d think if they wanted to compete with games like WoW they would have made it able to run on older computers on low, I can run WoW fine on medium settings. Bummer bummer.

VirtualBS.3165

I’ve fixed my launcher issues by removing “local.dat” and deleting everything inside “Documents\Guild Wars 2”. The game will rebuild again any needed files.

Creature.9476

@cloudycolors.8916

That’s not entirely fair. This game is 8 years newer than WoW, and if you can run that on medium and not this game you think that’s wrong?

Sorry man, 8 years on computer terms is an age.

Posted by: Saviour.9013

Saviour.9013

@Hawkmeister: It’s the same for me and this is the only solution as of now, everything disabled and everything up to date … every patch the game is confused with it’s .exe and crashes.

I recommend following his steps to find your Gw2.exe and Gw2.tmp and delete (or backup) the .exe and rename the Gw2.tmp into Gw2.exe.

Posted by: FaithXReaper.1287

FaithXReaper.1287

Please help me, thank you.

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

Same problem. Can someone please help? I really wish to play this game.

@Ukira.9510

I’m having some problems pinning down if your videocard does or does not support Shader Model 3.0 Some sites claim your chipset does, and others claim it does not. So I will not make that claim, I’ll elave that up to someone else.

I will however not that you have an amazing amount of running processes on your computer. Try running the following steps to clear that up a little and it might help (while I keep looking for the spec on your card):

— Edit —

Hah! Found it! You should have support for Shader Model 3.0 You may have probles where video RAM is concerned though. You need 256 MB of RAm and technically your card has no dedicated RAM, only shared. So unfortunately it’s beyond my wisdom to tell you if you meet the minimum requirements ro not.

I would still suggest a videocard upgrade though. You are meeting the minimum requirements just barely, so if you get it to run it won’t run nice. It will run just barely. (Not trying to sound like a jerk, but I want to set realistic expectations.)

I just want to clear this up – his card definitely does not properly support Shader Model 3.0 and the game will NOT run on it, no matter what he does or what driver he installs.

The reason there is a lot of confusion is because people are mixing up the 3100 and the X3100, which are entirely different chips featured on very different chipsets. The X3100 supports Shader Model 3.0 at the hardware level, but the regular 3100 only supports SM 2.0 in the hardware because it’s directly based on the older 900 and 950 chips which were similarly limited to 2.0.
While there was some talk of software Shader Model 3.0 support for the 3100, in practice there simply seems to be no driver that will fully support SM3 in such a way that this card can run modern games, probably because Intel never bothered adding it.

Also another common mix-up is the GMA 3100 with the GMA 3150, because (confusingly) unlike the 3100, the 3150 IS based on the same tech as the X3100- so the 3150 does support SM 3.0 at the hardware level. The reason I stumbled into this whole quagmire in the first place is, because I tried figuring out SM3 support for my netbook (which has a GMA 3150) and I figured that the 3150 would be similar to the 3100.

Essentially what it boils down to is that the GMA (X)3000 series and later support SM3, with the exception of the GMA 3000 and the GMA 3100 chips, because those are based directly on older chips without SM3 support.

(edited by Amarinth.8534)

Posted by: Oik.6925

Oik.6925

Can anyone tell me if I have the correct graphics card to run the game, or if there is any other problem with my specs?

Posted by: MrJazin.3568

MrJazin.3568

Hallloeeee
I got the same problem i think so
this is my GameAdvisor report
thanks

Creature.9476

@Oik.6925

To my knowledge, your system should be capable of running the game. However, you do not have the right drivers installed since Windows does not even recognize your video card. Use the Apple updater tool within Windows for your MacBook Pro and see if it finds a newer set of drivers. You can also download the newer drivers straight from Nvidia’s website. You may also want to make sure all your Windows updates are installed.

@MrJazin.3568

You are having a similar problem, your video card drivers are not properly recognized by Windows. But even if you did get the right drivers, I do not believe your videocard meets the minimum requirements.

Posted by: CJHNicholas.7350

CJHNicholas.7350

Hi Creature,

i have been trying to install it since i get my desktop 4 days ago but to no avail and all the advises i use doesn’t seem to be able to work. do u mind helping me here.

Thank You

Posted by: Bcmonks.3729

Bcmonks.3729

Has anyone found a fix for this? I’m still suffering from this problem.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi Bcmonks – After looking at your Game Advisor report what stood out to me is you are connected via VPN as well as your Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. If you disable Hamachi do you still encounter this same issue?

Bcmonks.3729

Hi Bcmonks – After looking at your Game Advisor report what stood out to me is you are connected via VPN as well as your Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. If you disable Hamachi do you still encounter this same issue?

I actually had the same thought path as you, I tried turning off hamachi, and even disabling the network connection 4 (Hamachi) in Network and Sharing Center, but to no avail, for it didn’t change anything :/ any other ideas?

Bcmonks.3729

I found a fix for me, hopefully it works for you.

1. right click Guild Wars 2 shortcut on desktop and select properties
2. add ‘-nopatchui’ after the target, without quotes, make sure you put a space between the existing stuff and the ‘-nopatchui’
3. Apply changes and click ok
4. Open up Guild Wars 2

Nothing will show up on your screen, but if you go to the folder where you are downloading Guild Wars 2 you will notice a file called Gw2.dat. If you press F5 while in this folder you will see that the size of the file will increase, the download is done when it hits about 14.9gb. If the file is not increasing, then try re-opening Guild Wars 2. Once Guild Wars 2 is done downloading, it will open the game but show a black screen. Close that window by doing Alt+Tab and right clicking on it in the taskbar and hitting close. Then right click your Guild Wars 2 shortcut and go to properties, and remove the ‘-nopatchui’. Then the game should run just like normal. I hope this helps you, this problem can be very frustrating.