Stuck at 0 KB/s

Stuck at 0 KB/s

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: rekei.4361

rekei.4361

@Kilam.4913, thanks worked like a charm!

(Also Verizon btw.)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: blizt.9581

blizt.9581

@ kilam.4913, it help a lot thanks for sharing.

I prefer this over having to download things from places I never hear of.

(edited by blizt.9581)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: stonecold.5609

stonecold.5609

I’m also on Verizon in the NYC area and am experiencing this issue.

Instead of setting up a VPN, try this workaround:

Edit C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts using notepad (run as administrator)

Add this line at the bottom:
174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Save the file. If Notepad prompts you to save as a new file, you need to start over and run Notepad as administrator.

If you have the GW2 launcher already open, restart it. If this still doesn’t help, you may need to change the address above and try a different number (e.g. assetcdn.102.etc..).

You may want to remove this line later when (if?) they resolve the networking issue.

Good luck!

This worked for me! Thanks! Are there any cons to doing this?

This isn’t the first time I’ve had this type of issue with Verizon recently. If I point out to verizon what worked, will it mean anything to them?

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: ronsalon.1967

ronsalon.1967

This fixed my problem instantly. My patch patched in two seconds flat. You are the best, Kilam.4913 You should work for Guild Wars.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Same here. Have Verizon Fios. Tried it 20+ times. Progress varies but it always drops to 0 kb/s and sits there. Been trying for an hour.

Called Verizon support and they said it’s not their end. Speed test shows my internet connection is actually slightly faster than what my package advertises. Have no firewall up.

Dunno why it seems all of us Fios users are getting hosed but it seems like it’s a GW2 server overload to me.

Edit: Thank you Kilam!! That worked. You sir, are a genius. What the crap does that fix do?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

(edited by Seras.5702)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Kilam.4913

Kilam.4913

This isn’t the first time I’ve had this type of issue with Verizon recently. If I point out to verizon what worked, will it mean anything to them?

ArenaNet’s content delivery partner could change the IP address of that host and it would stop working. Making this change to your hosts file should be considered a temporary workaround, but these changes often become a “set it and forget it” change (until there’s a problem).

Later in time, if/when this thread dies off and ArenaNet/Verizon resolve the problem, then it should be safe to delete that line from the hosts file.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Psalm.7834

Psalm.7834

I went to the vpnbook site but didn’t see where to download it, just the pdf reader. The video shows how to set up the vpn connection in Win 7 but I’m still on Vista.

Oh well, maybe the download will be done by the weekend.

Maybe I’ll be calling my cable company and pricing their service by the weekend too.

Nothing to download. Go to http://www.vpnbook.com/howto/setup-pptp-vpn-on-windows7 – make sure the port forwarding it setup on the Verizon router then add the VPN connection to your computer
Server: euro195.vpnbook.com
Username: vpnbook
Password: qe6resTe

I personally don’t have a way to connect this computer by LAN so can’t see if that would have worked.

The first VPN recommendation on this thread did not work, but I tried the username/pass you suggested and it worked great. Now updating flawlessly…although I’m not really sure what I did, haha.

I’m Verzion Fios outside of Philly.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Xerol.1578

Xerol.1578

Getting a bit off-topic here, but from working at a laptop repair shop, one of the first things I learned is that the only job of frontline support is to tell you “no”.

More on-topic, I just wanted to point out that this isn’t FIOS-specific, I’ve been having the same issues on DSL (and the VPN worked great, thanks).

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Kilam.4913

Same here. Have Verizon Fios. Tried it 20+ times. Progress varies but it always drops to 0 kb/s and sits there. Been trying for an hour.

Called Verizon support and they said it’s not their end. Speed test shows my internet connection is actually slightly faster than what my package advertises. Have no firewall up.

Dunno why it seems all of us Fios users are getting hosed but it seems like it’s a GW2 server overload to me.

Edit: Thank you Kilam!! That worked. You sir, are a genius. What the crap does that fix do?

ArenaNet (and most other major content providers) use a content delivery network to speed up downloads of data for their customers. (For evening reading pleasure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network) These networks often account for your location (e.g. Verizon in the NYC area) and will direct you to a specific server to download content from. In our case, there’s a communication breakdown between our ISP (Verizon) and the ArenaNet server in that area. The host file change tells Windows to ignore the address that ArenaNet gives us and to use a different one that’s unaffected by the Verizon/ArenaNet issue.

Hope that kinda makes sense…

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: BulletNG.7069

BulletNG.7069

I’ve had Verizon for the entire release of GW2 and never had this issue until today. Hopped on a Comcast VPN and it worked great. What is going on Anet?

Dawn of Dementia [DUI] – Yak’s Bend
Formerly: Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: ScaperDeage.9584

ScaperDeage.9584

Save the file. If Notepad prompts you to save as a new file, you need to start over and run Notepad as administrator.

If you have the GW2 launcher already open, restart it. If this still doesn’t help, you may need to change the address above and try a different number (e.g. assetcdn.102.etc..).

You may want to remove this line later when (if?) they resolve the networking issue.

Good luck!

Worked for me too! I’m also a Fios user.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I’ve had Verizon for the entire release of GW2 and never had this issue until today. Hopped on a Comcast VPN and it worked great. What is going on Anet?

They haven’t paid their ransom yet to Verizon I bet. Yes, we don’t need network neutrality at all…

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Azerate.9860

Azerate.9860

For some reason Kalims fix isn’t working for me at all, I’ve tried a bunch of number combinations and followed the instructions exactly. In case its of relevance I’m with Verizon and on the east cost and my OS is windows 8.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Ruby.7960

Ruby.7960

I’m in the same boat as everyone else: Greater New York area, verizon, blah blah. I did the VPN thing and now it’s downloading just fine.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: snack.2913

snack.2913

outside Boston with fios. this workaround isn’t working for me.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: striderragabash.2178

striderragabash.2178

Virginia with Verison fios, the work around failed but the VPN was golden. Thanks

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Meowzerrr.8643

Meowzerrr.8643

Kilam.4913:

Good luck!

Worked instantly! Been having the 0 kb/s problem all day. Thanks!

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Soul Binding.7624

Soul Binding.7624

Good luck!

This worked for me! You guessed it, another Verizon hostage here. Paying for services that they are secretly blocking, wonderful right?

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Paintedawg.3740

Paintedawg.3740

Good luck!

I’m also verizon. I’m trying to do this but I’m having trouble. Can you go through step by step on how to do this?

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: snack.2913

snack.2913

The workaround DOES work. Just don’t put a hashtag in front of the line like I did. Thanks for the help.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Archdruidess.5143

Archdruidess.5143

Kilam.4913:
Good luck!

I logged on here just to thank you hugely for this. I was ready to throw things, but now it’s working thanks to your workaround. I hope they resolve this issue, but until then – THANK YOU.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Wanted to say TY to Kilam, too. Advice got me on.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

Kilam, this gets my vote for post of the year. Excellent work.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Azerate.9860

Azerate.9860

It still doesn’t work for me… :/

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Kaz.3196

Kaz.3196

New Jersey here. My and my fiance were sitting here for hours trying to download over Verizon FIOS.

Adding the IP/DNS to the hosts file worked like a charm. Thanks. Major +1’s and kudos to you sir.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Anastasia Avalon.6908

Anastasia Avalon.6908

Still did not work for me, I am so frustrated!!!

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: DarkKnightSlayer.4170

DarkKnightSlayer.4170

Just wanted to weigh in on this topic. Having same issue. Also have Verizon Fios.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Kilam.4913

Still did not work for me, I am so frustrated!!!

If it’s not working, try this address instead: 23.67.242.80

So the hosts file would show:
23.67.242.80 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

If that still doesn’t work, try adding all of these to the hosts file:

23.67.242.80 assetcdn.102.arenanetworks.com
23.67.242.80 assetcdn.103.arenanetworks.com

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Anastasia Avalon.6908

So should it look like this:
or
#23.67.242.80 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com
or

1. 23.67.242.80 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Anastasia Avalon.6908

I added all of them, still no working…GAH!

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Anastasia Avalon.6908

OMG!!! I put the # in front and it is flying!!! I feel better now. and its

#(tab)23.67.242.80 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Thank you so much!

(edited by Anastasia Avalon.6908)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Kilam.4913

OMG!!! I put the # in front and it is flying!!! I feel better now. and its

#(tab)23.67.242.80 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Thank you so much!

The # in front of the line disables that setting, so it should also work if you delete that line completely. Either way, glad it works

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Colt.9051

Colt.9051

What I don’t get with the work around is how to open the hosts file as an admin. Right clicking isn’t giving me an option to do so.

Daeaera ~ Leader of Grape Justice! [FGJ]

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Division.2305

Division.2305

Looking through the several posts on this, I was able to resolve the issue by adding “174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com” into the hosts file.

In order to do this on some machines, it is likely you will find it easiest to browse to the command prompt under the start menu, r-click and run-as-administrator.
from the command prompt I typed:
“cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc”
then
“notepad hosts”
add the line from above into the bottom of the hosts file and save the file (do not save as a .txt file, just ‘save’).

hope that helps someone.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Isaac.7534

Isaac.7534

Im in New Zealand and none of these IP’s are working

Is X – Tix X – Bro Cauli – Brocolypse: CD [CS]
Fix X – Curly Cutie – Ne kx: Mag [Mlg]
youtube.com/user/isxrecord

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Koeder.2365

Koeder.2365

I followed Kilam’s fix and the hardest part for me was running as an admin as well.

From the start menu, I found notepad under the accessory folder. From there you can right click the icon and select “run as admin” from that menu. Once that hurdle was cleared, and you open the file in that instance of notepad (show all files), then it was easy.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: HelixSky.4951

HelixSky.4951

Good luck!

Verizon FIOS Northern VA user here. Add me to the list of those who this fix helped. Thanks.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: globe.7238

globe.7238

Is anyone at anet even taking a look at this? This isnt exactly a little issue here.

Imminent Demise » [iD] « Blackgate

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Lexan.5930

Lexan.5930

Looking through the several posts on this, I was able to resolve the issue by adding “174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com” into the hosts file.

In order to do this on some machines, it is likely you will find it easiest to browse to the command prompt under the start menu, r-click and run-as-administrator.
from the command prompt I typed:
“cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc”
then
“notepad hosts”
add the line from above into the bottom of the hosts file and save the file (do not save as a .txt file, just ‘save’).

hope that helps someone.

Thank you so much this helped my wife and I download the patch and play with much less lag.

My guess would be that verizon on the east coast is having trouble talking to arenanet servers, one of the 2 companies is messing up and i hope they resolve it, until then game on

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Cannadubh.9148

Cannadubh.9148

Also on Verizon FIOS, also in VA. I updated the host file and it’s working fine in both WIN7 and WIN8.

But, I’ll also make sure VZ network techs are aware of the issue.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I live just outside of Boston and I also use Verizon. Same issue.

Yeah… that whole net neutrality thing….

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: UnDeadFun.5824

UnDeadFun.5824

I also had the same problem, Verizon customer( northeast US). I sent a support ticket in and it was suggested that I delete my GW2 local.dat file and restart the launcher. This did work for me, however it did stop at 99% again. I walked away and it finished the last 1% about 30-40 minutes later.
My support ticket – ****
“Brian S. (Guild Wars 2 Support)
May 20 17:16

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this updated information to my attention today.

I’d like you to first locate and delete your local.dat file which is located in your C:\Users*Your Username*\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2 folder. Once this is done, reboot your computer and launch Guild Wars 2 again. after seeing the 1 file remaining message, a secondary protocol should kick in to download the file from the backup system, usually takes about 10 minutes.

So I would wait about 15 minutes or so, and let us know if it does not complete the download.

If this does not resolve the issue I would like you to change the language for the launcher (top right corner) to French to see if the download completes. You can change it back to English once it does and you should be able to play.

If either of these suggestions has an effect on the issue please let us know.

Regards,
Brian
NCSOFT Technical Support

Regards,

Brian S.
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com"

This did NOT fix my issue****

(edited by UnDeadFun.5824)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

Good luck!

Worked like a charm. Thanks mate.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Draxonn.9840

Draxonn.9840

New Jersey Verizon here. same problem. not confident with my computer skill to start editing text in documents. game just patched and im back to 0kbps again! i thought i was in the clear this morning after the update, but the patch screwed me again. whats the deal?!

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Anjo.3170

Anjo.3170

Yep, having the same problem. NY Verizon. It will go at about 50kb for a little bit then down to 0. I restart GW and it just repeats the same thing. My update yesterday went fine and I logged in fine today. It started right after this latest patch. I dont believe at all its my ISP.

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

I’m getting the same issue as well. My patch the other day went well, and I just logged off less than an hour ago. Tried to get back on and go the same thing. I managed to get to 1055 kb before it stopped. I also have Verizon FiOs in Maryland and this has never been an issue.

Update: While typing this, seems it went up by 44 kb, has stopped again.

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Verizon fios in Virginia, same problem

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

Verizon fios in Virginia, same problem

Same, I’m also in Virginia with Fios.

Was starting to think it was because my husband was downloading some TV shows, but came here just to check anyways.

I logged off 40 minutes ago and it was fine. o.O

Edit: The fix quoted at the top of this page, adding the line to the hosts file, worked instantly.

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

(edited by Grace.6074)

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

I also had the same problem, Verizon customer( northeast US). I sent a support ticket in and it was suggested that I delete my GW2 local.dat file and restart the launcher. This did work for me, however it did stop at 99% again. I walked away and it finished the last 1% about 30-40 minutes later.
My support ticket –
“Brian S. (Guild Wars 2 Support)
May 20 17:16

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this updated information to my attention today.

I’d like you to first locate and delete your local.dat file which is located in your C:\Users*Your Username*\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2 folder. Once this is done, reboot your computer and launch Guild Wars 2 again. after seeing the 1 file remaining message, a secondary protocol should kick in to download the file from the backup system, usually takes about 10 minutes.

So I would wait about 15 minutes or so, and let us know if it does not complete the download.

If this does not resolve the issue I would like you to change the language for the launcher (top right corner) to French to see if the download completes. You can change it back to English once it does and you should be able to play.

If either of these suggestions has an effect on the issue please let us know.

Regards,
Brian
NCSOFT Technical Support

Regards,

Brian S.
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com"

This did not fix the problem

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

Stuck at 0 KB/s

Posted by: St Andrew.5183

St Andrew.5183

In Maryland with FIOS, and GW2 update is grinding down to 0.0 KB/s. It simply will not download. Really suck. Is this a Verizon issue only?

Ok… this worked for me:

Good luck!

(edited by St Andrew.5183)