Windows 10 incompatable?

Windows 10 incompatable?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Check you motherboard manufacturers web site for chipset drivers if those drivers are not up to date with Windows 10 then this will effect video drivers not working correctly. check all hardware for updated drivers for Windows 10

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: King xiuras.3615

King xiuras.3615

I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 today. Before i could play guild wars 2 with the settings on high. Now it won’t run properly with these settings so i have to play the game with the lowest settings. I tried the repair-gw2-exe but it didn’t work for me. Help? This isn’t fun!

Khalar Bladestorm – Pugmaster of AoA – Dungeon Master – Event Comander of AoA

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: Saprophyte.9542

Saprophyte.9542

I couldn’t get it to start. I tried reinstalling, and now the installer won’t run. I haven’t played in quite some time now, I hope it’s fixed eventually.

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

GW2 is completely compatible with Win10. I’ve been playing on this O/S since March. March is when I received my new rig – details in sig.

However, I’ve now had a couple of error 41 task 63 crashes. When you investigate this on the ‘net, there are a bazillion and one solutions – some work for some, some don’t. The interesting one for me is turning off fast boot in the power settings. I haven’t tried it yet, so if it improves things, I’ll post back.

And it’s actually only been twice so it may be just a random. And only in GW2.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

flatley I would make a separate thread

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

flatley I would make a separate thread

Because of the error I’ve had? Do you think it would help?

The reason I ask is that that particular error doesn’t appear to be GW2 specific; it’s more of a general problem with Windows even though the only time I’ve experienced it is when I’m playing the game.

On my old rig, I was getting it just surfing the web.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: Derious.5376

Derious.5376

I’m having problems with the client. I just decided to check out the game again and downloaded the 64 client. It keeps crashing while downloading. Have tried the config in the command prompt. Tried moving the program along. I even tried the -repair which it ends up crashing during that as well. Any suggestions?

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

The game is compatible with Windows 10 but sometimes Windows 10 can have corrupted files even from a fresh install. You can run the sfc /scannow command on elevated command prompt 3 times to completely fix any corrupted files but do not be surprised some cannot be fixed. You then have to use the DISM commands to replace the corrupted files from windows installation image. I had different issues of GW2 happened before and went on the wild goose chase, in the end all it required is running another windows installation to repair any old installation with unfixable corrupted files. This goes to show Microsoft’s consistent record of producing buggy OS but they improved it by introducing corrupted files upon fresh installation.

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

“…but sometimes Windows 10 can have corrupted files even from a fresh install.”

This is only true if your PC has other problems. I have done numerous Windows 10 upgrades and have never had an issue.

Files ONLY get corrupted if there is a PC hardware problem -period. Sometimes, bad RAM can be very difficult to detect and you should NOT rely on the results of Memtest unless it shows blatant errors. Often, RAM becomes intermittent in a way that errors won’t show with Memtest.

Actually; a good test for memory problems involves tapping on the memory sticks. Recently I found found two bad sticks on a friend’s computer by doing this. He was having random freezes and Memtest showed no errors.

So, I’m sorry, but you are wrong about the “corrupted files” thing. It doesn’t work that way.

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Just because you didn’t encounter the issue doesn’t mean it’s not. A simple Google search would reveal this is a very common occurrence hence why there are so many forums covering how to solve this problem. Out of 4 pc/laptops I upgraded to windows 10, 2 of them developed the same unfixable corrupted files issue solvable only by doing another installation again. The computer works just fine and no one would suspect it of corrupted files from a fresh install until running sfc.exe. Anyway I’m not here to argue with you regarding your expertise on software or hardware, you are entitled to your opinion.

P.S
Lol @ corrupted files can only be caused by hardware problems.

(edited by yiksing.9432)

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Files ONLY get corrupted if there is a PC hardware problem -period.

Or if there’s a bug in the drive’s firmware, or a bug in the OS, or a bug in the software that’s trying to write the file, or the power goes out in the middle of writing a file and messes everything up, or a cosmic ray hits your DRAM and flips a bit (ECC memory shouldn’t require a Xeon, Intel!), or even just a simple case of data rot (which is especially nasty when the data in question belongs to the file system itself).

Windows 10 incompatable?

abomally.2694

Just because you didn’t encounter the issue doesn’t mean it’s not. A simple Google search would reveal this is a very common occurrence hence why there are so many forums covering how to solve this problem. Out of 4 pc/laptops I upgraded to windows 10, 2 of them developed the same unfixable corrupted files issue solvable only by doing another installation again. The computer works just fine and no one would suspect it of corrupted files from a fresh install until running sfc.exe. Anyway I’m not here to argue with you regarding your expertise on software or hardware, you are entitled to your opinion.

P.S
Lol @ corrupted files can only be caused by hardware problems.

You’re free to believe what you want. However, I’m an electronic technician and I’ve been repairing computers since before Windows even existed.

Yes, sometimes Windows doesn’t install properly the first time, though that is rare. It is not from “corrupted” files, it’s from Microsoft’s buggy installer. Some needed files simply don’t get copied during the install process.

Windows 10 incompatable?

abomally.2694

Or if there’s a bug in the drive’s firmware, or a bug in the OS, or a bug in the software that’s trying to write the file, or the power goes out in the middle of writing a file and messes everything up, or a cosmic ray hits your DRAM and flips a bit (ECC memory shouldn’t require a Xeon, Intel!), or even just a simple case of data rot (which is especially nasty when the data in question belongs to the file system itself).

A power failure is very unlikely. Also, if the power fails during an install Windows uses a journaling file system, which means that the incomplete write would be marked as a failed write.

Nothing in your post relates to actual data “corruption” – unless there is a hardware issue such as bad RAM.

Most of what you are referring to are software bugs. You know perfectly well what I’m talking about as it relates to Guild Wars 2.

I’ve run GW2 on 4 separate computers without a single crash – ever. This is an indication that the code is working properly, though (of course) with any software of this magnitude there are certainly going to be bugs.

Believe what you want. My original post was not referring to software bugs such as game save corruption which has occurred in some games. That is not what I was talking about when referring to data corruption.

Incorrect data written to a file due to software bugs is not actual data corruption – it’s just incorrect data. Hardware problems can cause actual data corruption when the data would otherwise have been written correctly. THAT is what I was talking about and there’s a big difference between the two.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Windows 10 incompatable?

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Most of what you are referring to are software bugs. You know perfectly well what I’m talking about as it relates to Guild Wars 2.

No, I’d missed that part, sorry.

A power failure is very unlikely. Also, if the power fails during an install Windows uses a journaling file system, which means that the incomplete write would be marked as a failed write.

Nothing in your post relates to actual data “corruption” – unless there is a hardware issue such as bad RAM.

[Replied to this part at the top]

[…]

Incorrect data written to a file due to software bugs is not actual data corruption – it’s just incorrect data. Hardware problems can cause actual data corruption when the data would otherwise have been written correctly. THAT is what I was talking about and there’s a big difference between the two.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

A bit, yeah. My disagreement with you is mostly* in your claim that bad hardware is the only cause of data corruption.

Although rare (as you correctly pointed out), power failures/fluctuations can cause some SSDs (and probably some HDDs) to write bad data. Since, in this scenario, the write completes, a journaling filesystem won’t help. If the power supplied to the drive was momentarily out of spec, so you can’t really claim it’s “bad” hardware because of that one instance. Moving up the chain, the power supply must be bad then, right? Well, yeah, the computer’s power supply did momentarily put out “bad” power, but only because somebody crashed into a utility pole 5 blocks away, breaking one of the power lines, which caused surging and fluctuations in the remaining lines while things settled back down. This caused the power coming into your house to momentarily go out of spec. So the power supply isn’t “bad” per se, it just wasn’t designed to handle power that dirty. You could put a surge suppressor or UPS between your computer and the wall, but then I’ll just bring up lightning strikes and EMPs. Now, I’m not suggesting we stop using surge suppressors or UPSs. I’m just pointing out that everything is designed to work within a certain set of constraints, and that it’s pretty much always possible for the universe to put you outside of them. Once you’re in such a situation, the device isn’t “bad” simply because it did the wrong thing.

ECC memory solves a real problem (more so, as we start putting more RAM in our machines), but that doesn’t mean a flipped bit in non-ECC memory automatically indicates “bad” RAM, it’s just that the people who design consumer RAM are willing to tolerate an error rate that is, IMHO, too high.

Same thing for some causes of data rot… A few years ago, I had a drive spontaneously lose part of its filesystem data (hooray for backups!). Was the drive “bad”? Depends on how much you believe in the law of averages. The MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is exactly that: the mean, or average, not the minimum, time between instances of the drive writing, say, 0xFF, and then reading that same byte back as something else. Now, it’s been years since that drive tried to lose my data, and it’s worked fine ever since then. AFAICT, despite its early attempt at losing of some of my data, the drive hasn’t exceeded its MTBF spec. So, the drive is probably fine. I was just unlucky, both in the timing and in which particular piece of data it got wrong.

None of these issues are caused by bugs or bad hardware. With the possible except of dirty power (depending on where you live), they’re pretty rare, but they do happen.

*As to the role that bugs play, I believe you and I define “data corruption” differently. Shall we agree to disagree?