e-Mail from "ArenaNet?" Please read! [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: weaslex.8341

weaslex.8341

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK! I’m merely showing it to the Dev’s and Admins in hopes that they permanently shut down this site. It’s a phising site and I advise everyone to always check back in the forums if there’s anything suspicious that you have.

My Email came with this message that looks official but it’s FAKE! AGAIN, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK BELOW. Remember that Guildwars staff will never ask for account information or password verification of any form.

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Guild Wars account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet Entertainment’s employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:

{{LINK REDACTED}}

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently. Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

Account Administration Team
Thanks! —The ArenaNet Team

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

It’s a very well know issue, loads about it on the forum already.

Also, please remove the link, people don’t always read warnings

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

As SandraSolace said, it’s already been reported dozens of times for several months, but please remove that link at once! They do not want any links posted in here for other users safety.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Email-from-ArenaNet-Please-read-merged/first

Posted by: Kaijev.4701

Kaijev.4701

Had the same email (with the exact same link). Mousing over the text (not clicking) shows that the link redirects to a site with a “xe-ousa.asia” suffix.

Posted by: Straatman.7816

Straatman.7816

hello everybody!
today i recived a weird email.
this is what it says:
Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Guild Wars account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet Entertainment’s employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:

Moderator note: Link removed for security reason.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently. Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

Now: the strange fact is that i DON’T have a guild wars account (i’m posting this with my brother’s account).
My brother buy the game the last year but he (obviously) used his email.
So why i recived this email?
also, if i try to click the link firefox doesnt open it because it is unsafe.
What the hell is going on?

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Had the same email (with the exact same link). Mousing over the text (not clicking) shows that the link redirects to a site with a “xe-ousa.asia” suffix.

Mousing over is always a good idea and it’s interesting to see where that innocent-looking link really leads!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They are just hoping you have an account. They send stuff like this almost at random. All they need is one person to fall for it to make it worthwhile.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

Please remove the link from the post. If it’s clicked it will cause trouble.

Posted by: Straatman.7816

Straatman.7816

thanks, and i’m sorry for the link

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

You should always look before you click any link. And if in doubt submit a support ticket on the official site.

That and you just have to read the awful grammar used in the emails:

“Guild Wars 2 Account Be Shut Down Inform?”
“If you wish to not get your account suspended”
“You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with”

and there’s the enormous jargon filled links they use:
account.guildwars2.com/allow-login?token=[[REDACTED LOTS OF LETTERS AND NUMBERS JUST IN CASE THIS IS A VALID LINK]]

You really should not trust any email you get, even if it’s from people you know and trust, and check it properly before doing anything.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

(edited by Moderator)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks for continuing to make us aware of the phishing attempts, but do note that there are a number of samples in the A Note About Phishing Emails thread. If you see the email you received in that thread, you don’t need to post in this thread, as well. Inclusion in the official “Note about Phishing” thread means that other players can see the samples, and it means we’re aware of it, as well.

Also, if you do include an email that you have received, please take care to NOT post the link in the email. You could post a portion of the link, remove a piece, and put [REDACTED] in the link, if you wish. We want to be very cautious about including links so that someone doesn’t inadvertently have difficulties with having the full thing posted.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Nibiru.1423

Nibiru.1423

Just received this fake email from Anet, knew it was fake as iv not played GW in a while and have not tried to sell my account.

“Greetings!

https://account.guildwars2.com/allow-login?token=E4627223-9087-4AC4-8BC7-9784C48EE197&request=E553AB6A-4825-4E6C-A278-00A2C6C305A9&ip=62.150.38.163.html

Regards,

Thanks! —The ArenaNet Team"

……….

Actual link was com.sbaz.co.vu

Magic Find + Common Sense + Consideration = Happy Party + Nice Loot

Posted by: Jotte.6203

Jotte.6203

Just recived this phishing attempt today:

Guild Wars Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate::
http://support.guildwars2.com.455a7d-a3466-0zbx9rl-4ddee-b38c.tk/

The Guild Wars 2 Team

The provided link was disguised under the text lable of the true one, ie:
https://support.guildwars2.com/login

Posted by: MadDemon.7548

MadDemon.7548

I just got an email like this, and I must say, whoever these phishers are, they made it seem legit. I didn’t see any grammatical or spelling errors, and the response email, instead of being “randomname123@something.whatever” was “noreply@guildwars2.com”.

Sure I didn’t fall for it for a second, but still, its a sight better than those atrocious phishing emails for Diablo 3.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I’ve always had those spam/scam emails sent to me about ‘my account’ and how I need to give them my password (duh, as if), all of those went to my junk.

But I’ve started to get emails from ‘noreply@guildwars2.com’ saying I’m trying to sell accounts. These emails have been coming to my main inbox, not my junk.

I was just curious whether or not this is an official email of ANET/GW2 or if it’s just another scam?

| Lithia |

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

just another scam
Many mailprogram’s call the reply to adress off a mail the sender’s adress. This is technically not correct. I can sent you a an email from presidentobama@whitehouse.gov (if I know your emailadress) and it doesn’t take any special programming or tools, it’s just a setting in my own mailprogram.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

(edited by mercury ranique.2170)

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

just another scam
Many mailprogram’s call the reply to adress off a mail the sender’s adress. This is technically not correct. I can sent you a an email from presidentobama@whitehouse.gov (if I know your emailadress) and it doesn’t take any special programming or tools, it’s just a setting in my own mailprogram.

Okay thank you.

| Lithia |

mercury ranique.2170

just a small hint. Anet doesn’t warn you, they just suspend you if you violate their rules

Posted by: FusRoDah.4029

FusRoDah.4029

HI there,

I recently received this email -

Greetings!

“Moderator edit: [LINK] removed for security reason”

Regards,

Is this an official email? – I have not logged into my account for about a week now and even then it was the first time in months.

Looking forward to your response

(edited by Moderator)

mercury ranique.2170

This is not a mail from arenanet. delete the mail and do not click the link. Also please delete the link in this post.

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

If you did something wrong, they would have suspended your account and after that they send an email.
They never send emails to tell you that your account will be disabled in the future.

Also don’t post the link in here. Some players may click on it and get some trouble.

You can also check the link in the email by hovering over the link (never click on it first). On the bottom right (or somewhere on the screen :p) you will see to what site it will go. In most emails, they all start with guildwars2.com.456132.tk Just notice the weird numbers or letters after the .com.

Just ignore those emails and have fun playing the game

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

One in my guild received the same mail.
The thing is if you mouseover the fake hyperlink.
you can see the real link at the bottom of your browser.
Wich is a .com.sbaz.co.vu link :p
That doesn’t look like something Arenanet would use haha

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: Valefor.3125

Valefor.3125

I received the following e mail:

Greetings!

[Link]

Regards,

I state that I do not play for months and I have not the game installed, I can still logging with old credentials both on site and on the forum.
I have not clicked on the link in the email to be sure, in any case, I never had any intention of selling my account. Appearance clarification, thank you.

mercury ranique.2170

This is not from Arenanet. This is a phising-mail trying to lure you to a fake website and trying that you fill in your account details there. The goal is to steal your account. Do not click that link! and delete the message.

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

Check the stickied phishing link in this forum for sample phishing emails.

Posted by: Snake.2374

Snake.2374

I checked my email this morning and had the following email in my inbox. When I clicked on the link google chrome told me it was a phishing website. So do I ignore it or what?

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Guild Wars account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet Entertainment’s employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

Moderator edit: link removed.

Regards,

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Snake.2374

Snake.2374

ok its a scam I have seen the official post about it. I panicked and looked for assistance before looking around the boards.

mercury ranique.2170

please remove the link to protect others from accidentally clicking it.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Please do read through the “A Note about Phishing” thread before posting, as you’ll find 99% of the emails asked about are on that thread. Set you mind at ease with a quick review of our “sample” phishing emails.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Oni.8473

Oni.8473

I got this e-mail yesterday and want to know if it is real.

Greetings!

Regards,

(edited by Oni.8473)

Posted by: Robert.4197

Robert.4197

It’s a phishing attempt https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1 Also, I would suggest removing the link from your post so people on here don’t accidentally click it and give out their personal information.

Posted by: Oni.8473

Oni.8473

okay i will do that

Posted by: salih.4937

salih.4937

Hi!

So im getting alot of these mails lately, i dont know why?
The thing is that i still own my account, still playing on it not to long but im still playing :P. Anyway there is no one who knows my longin details. so im hesitating about that these mails are fake.

here is an example of the mail that i’ve recieved
Greetings!

[here is a link]

Regards,

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This is a known phishing email. Delete and ignore.

ANet does not contact people like this. If there is reason they will close down the account without an email notice. Then they wait for the account holder to contact them to resolve the problem, if possible.

Posted by: Farva.1692

Farva.1692

I received one also. Mark it as spam and delete it from your inbox.

Attachments:

Gizmo Broflowski
Asura Guardian
Cliff Divers of Tyria [CDoT] - Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Bern.9613

Bern.9613

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Guild Wars account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet Entertainment’s employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

Regards,

Is this real? It also has the gw2 logo on top. News to me that I’m selling my account. I’m pretty confused atm. I want to respond but I don’t want to open a door for whoever.

(edited by Bern.9613)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s a phishing email. Please remove the link, so no one gives access to their account away. Read the stickies to find copies of it. Thx.

Posted by: Bern.9613

Bern.9613

OMG it won’t let me edit link out. I removed it. And ty for reply.

Posted by: Kerda.1498

Kerda.1498

I recieved this email:

“> Od: ArenaNet <noreply@guildwars2.com>
> Komu: <—->
> Datum: 25.09.2013 11:33
> P?edm?t: Account Ownership
>
Greetings!

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with: … (?link to reported fraudulent page ?)

Regards,

Thanks! —The ArenaNet Team"

It is email from arena net, or is it a scam?

(edited by Kerda.1498)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is a phishing email. Please remove the link (which shows it goes somewhere other than ArenaNet) so others do not fall for this scam. You can see copies of this letter in the stickies for this sub-forum.

Posted by: Kerda.1498

Kerda.1498

OK
Thank you very much!

Posted by: Icedoria.8014

Icedoria.8014

aww I got the same thing

Posted by: Knubbsal.6935

Knubbsal.6935

I have my hotmail email filter set on exclusive, so emails from unknown sources get sent straight to my spam, but the only spam I still get is from “guild wars 2”. It’s obviously phishing, but it shouldn’t go through normally as I have “@guildwars2.com” as a safe filter.

The problem is that they’re faking it: (sender IP is 125.62.14.193) smtp.mailfrom=noreply@guildwars2.com; dkim=none header.d=guildwars2.com; x-hmca=fail header.id=noreply@guildwars2.com
X-SID-PRA: noreply@guildwars2.com

Needless to say, I have removed @guildwars2.com from my safe filter now. It’s just getting too much. Blocking ip’s isn’t even worth the effort, they send them from new ones each time. It’s a bit sad, since now all your real emails get thrown in the spam as well.

That’s also the biggest problem. Maybe you can make a list of emails that can be added to the safe list, such as one for support and news. I don’t enjoy going through my spam box to find Guild Wars news. I’m afraid I’ll get std’s from just skimming the titles.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

It’s a good suggestion, but it’s no do-able. Anyone can fake any sender name, so no matter what we said was “A-OK” it could then be spoofed and used in a phishing attempt.

The only thing we can suggest is diligence in looking at ALL mails, taking care to really analyze what’s being said and not clicking links unless you’re certain the email is legitimate, and giving a careful review of the mails in all folders when you’re expecting a mail from us, such as a password reset or an authentication email.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: hirvea.4912

hirvea.4912

i recently got an email from arena net stating my account would be closed if i did not click a link and verify, it said i was trying to sell my account, which is not at all true, i do not want to click the link fearing that it is a scamer trying to get my email and password for the game

Posted by: Sera Phrim.9041

Sera Phrim.9041

Nope, don’t do it man. DON’T DO IT.

Lets complain about a class about being too OP and then get them nerfed for no reason.

Posted by: hirvea.4912

hirvea.4912

is this happening to a-lot of people?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Rick.1546

Rick.1546

I have the same issue, they look quite real, but once you click the link it refers you to another non-ArenaNet website.