in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Bump for Gaile.

e-Mail from "ArenaNet?" Please read! [merged]

Posted by: nemmie.3297

nemmie.3297

Hey guys i just received this email from : ArenaNet (noreply@guildwars2.com), and ive been wandering if its just some1 trying to scam me, or is it real anet asking for anything ?
Guild Wars Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

>We are sorry to inform you that your login account ************** will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

Guild Wars 2 Account Support Team

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Anet will never sent these kind of emails to you. If your account is suspected of being involved by illegal operations, they will suspend your account. They will never announce it per email.

So it is an attempt to get your account details. Do not click that link!
Please remove the link from your post to avoid people accidentally clicking it.
Delete the email.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: nemmie.3297

nemmie.3297

okey, i thought so buy you never know

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You should remove your log-in information from your post. Displaying half of the information needed to compromise your account can be dangerous.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Rule #1 for using the internet:

NEVER CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS
(That’s in all caps because I am shouting it for emphasis.)

The only valid exception would be verification emails used during account creation that you are expecting to receive because the website you are creating the account on told you it would send you such an email.

All other links should always be treated as fake/phishing.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Garen Shepard.7352

Garen Shepard.7352

>We are sorry to inform you that your login account <my email addres> will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
“links”

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

“links”

Is this legit??? If i click the link it gives me a login in platform and my pc tells me its a data miner site. Until i know its legit im not going to log in! Thank you for your attention.

(edited by Garen Shepard.7352)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is a phishing/scam email. Please remove the link so others do not inadvertently compromise their accounts. You can read about that mail in the sticky or other threads about phishing emails. Thank you.

Posted by: Garen Shepard.7352

Garen Shepard.7352

Thx for the fast response…

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Rule #1 for using the internet:

NEVER CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS
(That’s in all caps because I am shouting it for emphasis.)

The only valid exception would be verification emails used during account creation that you are expecting to receive because the website you are creating the account on told you it would send you such an email.

All other links should always be treated as fake/phishing.

Excellent point. I might also make an exception for emails received within a minute or two of requesting authentication of a new computer or location, because you requested it and should know it’s legitimate. However, I’m a big fan of “scraping” the email and pasting it into an empty browser window, rather than clicking a link that may have a bunch of misdirects behind the innocent-seeming URL.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Nasher.6874

Nasher.6874

Thing is, I literally started getting these emails the day I made my GW2 account. I never used the same email on any 3rd party sites so it can’t have been cross referenced in that way.

In my experience (and I have plenty) you guys have a data leak (either internal or external) or your accounts database is compromised in some way. That is how the scammers are finding out the email addresses linked to peoples accounts.

(edited by Nasher.6874)

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Thing is, I literally started getting these emails the day I made my GW2 account. I never used the same email on any 3rd party sites so it can’t have been cross referenced in that way.

In my experience (and I have plenty) you guys have a data leak (either internal or external) or your accounts database is compromised in some way. That is how the scammers are finding out the email addresses linked to peoples accounts.

As has been said many times, people are getting these emails who do not even have GW2 accounts. People are getting the identical emails but replace “ArenaNet” and “GW2” with “Blizzard” and “WoW”.

Meanwhile I’m using the same email I’ve used for 5 other MMOs and have yet to get a single one.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve gotten one accusing me of selling my WoW account, and I’ve never once played that game. They just send out emails at random. Maybe they have a computer randomly generating emails and sending them out as well as getting them from various sites.

On the other hand, I’ve had a Guild Wars 1 account for 5 years and a Guild Wars 2 account since beta and never once gotten one of the ‘GW phishing emails’. If gw has a data leak, I and many other people would have gotten one.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

It’s very easy to know if a link is legit or not, just hover the mouse to see real link, or right click copy link (depends of the browser or mail client), it could says: “guildwars2.com”, but really go to “guildwars2.com.?????.net”, using guildwars2.com as subdomain. Thats why the browsers like Firefox, IE, now marks in black the real address of the website you are visiting (on the address bar).

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

I just got this email in my inbox not even spam asking me to verify my email address. Don’t worry I’m not going to click it i’m not stupid.
For one I’ve been playing gw2 for over an year now and two i have not made a new account so why do they need my email. Seems legit, “face palm!”

Don’t fall for this scam guys is looks real but it is not.

ArenaNet
To Me
Nov 14 at 8:22 PM

Thanks for creating a Guild Wars account!

Now we just need you to verify your e-mail address by clicking this link:

account.guildwars**************************3F6F8-51AB-E111-BBF3-78E7D1936222&sessid=9A0AAB67-B89D-476A-B77E-BB9AFF2EC

Need help or have questions about your account? Visit our support site: ***************** support.guildwars2.com

Sincerely,

The Guild Wars Support Team

LOL WHAT! “Thanks for creating a Guild Wars account!”
I think they may have missed out the 2 from that sentence and why adding the ! at the end?, Silly pirates back to grammar school with you.

Unless they where thanking me for setting up another GW1 account maybe?

who writs the word “e-mail” like this? or have i been writing it wrong for years lol.

these emails are made up of such sort and blunt sentences totally inappropriate for use in an official email. Who use thanks instead of thank you these days where these emails text in?
because of this its not to hard to spot the fakes just by looking at how the email has been written.

Yes i know my grimmer is pretty poor but i’m not trying to scam people’s accounts.

(edited by grayskull.2367)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Another ArenaNet employee got a phishing mail today. (I had three last week. ~rolls eyes~)

Please be keenly aware of in-bound, unsolicited e-mail and read the A Note about Phishing E-mails thread for details and tasty samples.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: porps.2139

porps.2139

Hi, not long ago i bought Guild Wars 2. I’ve hardly even played it if i’m honest, and then a few days ago i recieeved an email, apparently from “ArenaNet (noreply@guildwars2.com)”

the email read as follows….

Greetings

We are sorry to inform you that your login account porps@emailaddress will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
https:// account .guildwars2.com/login/allow?token=E553AB6A-4825-4E6C-A278-00A2C6C305A9 .html

We will investigate into this case through verifying the account’s ownership. If the verification goes through, we will cancel any restriction.

https:// www. guildwars2 .com/en/legal/

GM Cuache
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

I added the spaces in the links just in case they are, as i suspect, phishing scams, wouldnt want anyone clicking them.

It looks pretty legit though… but i dont dare click them

Could you confirm one way or the other for me please?

Astral Projections.7320

Yes, it’s a phishing email from people trying to steal your account. Don’t click on the link. Send to the junk mail folder.

ANet does not contact you first. If there is a problem with your account, they will suspend or ban it and wait for you to contact them.

here are more phishing emails.

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

I just receieved an email from Arenanet to inform me my email has been changed. I received this email at 2 am in the night, when I was asleep, so I couldn’t have changed it. I didn’t go to the confirmation link, ofcourse, but is there anything I should do about this?

I was selected for the edge of the mists testing, so could it be related to that?

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I just receieved an email from Arenanet to inform me my email has been changed. I received this email at 2 am in the night, when I was asleep, so I couldn’t have changed it. I didn’t go to the confirmation link, ofcourse, but is there anything I should do about this?

I was selected for the edge of the mists testing, so could it be related to that?

It turns out these emails from ArenaNet associated with Edge of the Mists (and associated email change) are legit. I don’t think you have to confirm anything, but you are able to download your beta version henceforth.

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

It turns out these emails from ArenaNet associated with Edge of the Mists (and associated email change) are legit. I don’t think you have to confirm anything, but you are able to download your beta version henceforth.

ok. Thanks for the help

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

Posted by: MadBlade.1675

MadBlade.1675

I got an Edge of the Mist information login email along with an email saying that my email change confirmation one.

I obviously didn’t request an email change nor did I press the link, I was selected for the beta but now I’m doubting the validity of the emails.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I got an Edge of the Mist information login email along with an email saying that my email change confirmation one.

I obviously didn’t request an email change nor did I press the link, I was selected for the beta but now I’m doubting the validity of the emails.

This thread may shed some light: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/I-assume-this-is-a-phishing-attempt/first#post3223757

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You cannot stop a ban before it happens, so any email that asks you to do something to stop a ban is ALWAYS a fake.

If your account is getting banned, you’ll know because you won’t be able to log in and there will never be a link to get it back, you have to come here and click on the support tab at the top to start the process.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: porps.2139

porps.2139

thanks guys, appreiciate it

ShiningSquirrel.3751

No, it’s a scam. Do not click on any links, and please remove the links from your message above.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/e-Mail-from-ArenaNet-Please-read-merged

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Bump to front page

Posted by: sizzam.2085

sizzam.2085

Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account ******@yahoo.com will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
(link) link in question leads me to diff link and my browser says its a phishing site.
link

sizzam.2085

sizzam.2085

after surfing the forums found out its a fake the scammer put a bit of work into it to make it appear legit.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

after surfing the forums found out its a fake the scammer put a bit of work into it to make it appear legit.

Yes, it’s probably the most common phishing attempt.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: imboi.8520

imboi.8520

Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account ************* will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
https://account.guildwars2.com/login?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/

All i do is my dailies and a few dungeons everyday form the same computer. if this is not phishing what am i doing that causing these emails to crop up all the time

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Bump for Gaile

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s a phishing email, anet will never send an email for any account actions.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/e-Mail-from-ArenaNet-Please-read-merged

Do not click on any links in the emails.

Posted by: imboi.8520

imboi.8520

It’s a phishing email, anet will never send an email for any account actions.

Do not click on any links in the emails.

thank you sir i wanted to make sure that it was a phishing email before i did so to make sure im not blocking any email from arena net

Posted by: Christopher.8049

Christopher.8049

I have been receiving a few spam/phishing emails lately, All from the same place as far as I can tell. They are exactly the same as the screenshot I have attached.

Obviously the url embedded in the email links to a totally different website (Very convincing) But totally bogus. Check your emails carefully people.

Attachments:

Signature removed by popular demand…….

Posted by: strongy.2718

strongy.2718

i got this email today but i knew it was a fake it wasnt even sent to the right email address thats registered on the account.

Posted by: Fubarbox.9386

Fubarbox.9386

Got his today about shut down or partially limiting my account in 72hrs. I was tired and shocked and without thinking I clicked the link. It wanted my email, account number, and other stuff….I realized at this point what I had done and closed the browser without entering in any information. What do I need to do to protect my account at this point? am I out of the woods, need to run some sort of virus check? Thanks for any help…Can’t believe I clicked on it, I know better:o(

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Got his today about shut down or partially limiting my account in 72hrs. I was tired and shocked and without thinking I clicked the link. It wanted my email, account number, and other stuff….I realized at this point what I had done and closed the browser without entering in any information. What do I need to do to protect my account at this point? am I out of the woods, need to run some sort of virus check? Thanks for any help…Can’t believe I clicked on it, I know better:o(

Change your password ASAP. Because your account information and the sign on for this web site are the same and stored in the browser, just visiting that page could give them access to your account information.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Bump bum bump bum baa!

Thread needs a sticky or a sticky with just all the examples in it so players can peruse for a match.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Bump bum bump bum baa!

Thread needs a sticky or a sticky with just all the examples in it so players can peruse for a match.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post2556003

Astral Projections.7320

Bumped to page one.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

These phishing e-mails are continuing, so I want to get this thread up front again.

Please note: If you see a link in an e-mail, we encourage you to copy and paste the link into your browser, instead of clicking the link. This is good practice for any unsolicited e-mail that you receive.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Bump for Gaile.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Bumping for visibility.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I just posted a particularly ugly phishing attempt in the A Note About Phishing thread. I wanted to point to it because I want everyone to have eyes on it, and be aware of the easy steps you can take to not be taken in by phishers.

Here’s the post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post3392805

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Daedelus.1470

Daedelus.1470

I just received the following email from what appears to be a legitimate ArenaNet email address, but I didn’t change my email and the link looks sketchy. Talked to a guildmate of mine and he got the same email.

“Your e-mail address has been changed. The next time you log in to your account, please use the new e-mail address.

To confirm this change, please click the link below.

(spaces added to make it an invalid link)
https:// account-dev.ncplatform.net/ verify?userid= [Numbers redacted for security]

If you didn’t request this change, please contact the Guild Wars Support Team immediately.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http:// support .guildwars2. com/.

Sincerely,

The Guild Wars Support Team"

For safety’s sake, I changed my password.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i got the same thing. didn’t click anything because i didn’t change my email.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis