game client will not get to log-in screen

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Kolinkar.4167

Kolinkar.4167

I’ve been successfully using the -assetsrv workaround on my PC – still no luck with the standard launch process. Anyone know how you would do the assetsrv workaround on a mac?

The relentless pursuit of mediocrity.

Posted by: Prashen.5064

Prashen.5064

Also cant login since Friday.
My ISP is Telkom. I also cant access the www.guildwars2.com website.

Ticket: 2362628
Anyone home at Anet ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s often Tier 3 connections. You know, the provider your ISP hands off to? Like Telia, Qwest, Level3, etc.

Posted by: Kolinkar.4167

Kolinkar.4167

Ah ha! Following up – on my Mac I changed my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it worked! No need for script.

The relentless pursuit of mediocrity.

Posted by: BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

It’s often Tier 3 connections. You know, the provider your ISP hands off to? Like Telia, Qwest, Level3, etc.

thank you for this information.

I just got off the phone with the tech crew of Cincinnati Bell in Ohio, i gave them as much information as i could and they said that they have been having similar complaints for the past few days.

The said that when they have tried to ping Arena Nets servers one of the servers is not relaying the ping back or something??? Im not tech savy, so i just kept saying “ok”. I am assuming the tech support i spoke to means that when he is pinging the individual servers one of them isnt sending information back?

He kept telling me that its not Cincinnati Bell’s issue and that because internet is working in the household and other households in the area, that it is not the IP’s fault. He did say that others are having issues with GW2 over the past few days, and they even knew about Arena net when i tried to spell it out. They asked the game and company and as i was spelling out Arena net they stopped me and went “Oh. Yes. Arena net. I know that one” no joke. i was kinda taken back by it.

sorry everyone for my long winded responses. I am not intentionally trying to cause any drama . I am just trying to make sense of everything after trying to fix it on my end for so long I just wanna relax a little in game.

Posted by: ruzicka.4783

ruzicka.4783

I was just informed via email:

The issue was fixed. You should be good now. Are you still having issues?
Regards,
GM SwayedUp
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

I responded that he/she must not be serious, and that, without the workarounds, absolutely NOTHING has been fixed.

Posted by: Werner.9317

Werner.9317

Experiencing the same issue from South Africa.

Works on the 3 mobile providers, Cell-C, MTN, and Vodacom.

On Telkom, I have noted the following:
forums-en.guildwars2.com works,
wiki.guildwars2.com works,
www.guildwars2.com does not work,
support.guildwars2.com does not work,
account.arena.net does not work,
account.guildwars2.com does not work,
Game Client Login does not work,

I can update the game client from Telkom, however I cannot log in. I can browse all websites apart from “Account” related or sign in related.

@Anet, Is there anything unique with those sites, which would indicate why it would not work?

Still not possible to log into GW2 from South Africa with ISP Telkom.

Vodacom ISP works fine.

My tracert for Telkom:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SlapTjip>tracert www.guildwars2.com

Tracing route to www.guildwars2.com [64.25.47.51]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms hi.link [192.168.8.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 255 ms 379 ms 249 ms 172.17.48.13
4 28 ms 39 ms 30 ms 172.17.48.21
5 46 ms 25 ms 47 ms 8ta-150-179-01.telkomadsl.co.za [41.150.179.1]
6 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms 196.25.188.73
7 195 ms 193 ms 207 ms 196.43.9.86
8 205 ms 206 ms 200 ms ldn-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.35.89]
9 211 ms 194 ms 192 ms ldn-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.246.144]
10 199 ms 201 ms 203 ms prs-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.134.100]
11 215 ms 211 ms 211 ms ffm-bb4-link.telia.net [62.115.143.194]
12 237 ms 214 ms 212 ms ffm-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.121.11]
13 459 ms 558 ms 879 ms ncsoft-ic-306349-ffm-b11.c.telia.net [62.115.43.
74]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\SlapTjip>

(edited by Werner.9317)

Posted by: Gold Angel Of Death.2538

Gold Angel Of Death.2538

i am also on centurylink an took my laptop up to sprint an logged onto their wifi an logged right in. so its a centurylink problem this is the test we did on our net to the connection of the game from my house i am unable to post my results as it is over 5000 so wont let me post this i did send a ticket to anet with the info though

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

thank you for this information.

I just got off the phone with the tech crew of Cincinnati Bell in Ohio, i gave them as much information as i could and they said that they have been having similar complaints for the past few days.

The said that when they have tried to ping Arena Nets servers one of the servers is not relaying the ping back or something??? Im not tech savy, so i just kept saying “ok”. I am assuming the tech support i spoke to means that when he is pinging the individual servers one of them isnt sending information back?

He kept telling me that its not Cincinnati Bell’s issue and that because internet is working in the household and other households in the area, that it is not the IP’s fault. He did say that others are having issues with GW2 over the past few days, and they even knew about Arena net when i tried to spell it out. They asked the game and company and as i was spelling out Arena net they stopped me and went “Oh. Yes. Arena net. I know that one” no joke. i was kinda taken back by it.

sorry everyone for my long winded responses. I am not intentionally trying to cause any drama . I am just trying to make sense of everything after trying to fix it on my end for so long I just wanna relax a little in game.

Is your ISP aware that they are dealing with a CDN? The list of destination IPs are not static. 3 days ago when I was checking all the addresses were on the 54.230.36.* subnet but when I checked just now it is on 52.84.139.* There is a potential for this to be a DNS issue if your ISP provided DNS server(most people will be using whatever their ISP provides, I changed mine because I don’t like being shown ads from typos) is caching expired information causing your GW2 patcher to try to connect to the wrong IP.

If you know how to get to the windows command prompt what do you get if you run

nslookup assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com

and

nslookup assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com 8.8.8.8

The resulting "Addresses: " section for both commands should be the same.

Incorrect DNS does seem to be a problem for at least one person on the other thread.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Is your ISP aware that they are dealing with a CDN? The list of destination IPs are not static. 3 days ago when I was checking all the addresses were on the 54.230.36.* subnet but when I checked just now it is on 52.84.139.* There is a potential for this to be a DNS issue if your ISP provided DNS server(most people will be using whatever their ISP provides, I changed mine because I don’t like being shown ads from typos) is caching expired information causing your GW2 patcher to try to connect to the wrong IP.

If you know how to get to the windows command prompt what do you get if you run

nslookup assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com

and

nslookup assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com 8.8.8.8

The resulting "Addresses: " section for both commands should be the same.

Incorrect DNS does seem to be a problem for at least one person on the other thread.

Both addresses are 8.8.8.8 , but the resulting IP addresses, like the long numbers, are completely different. What does this mean?

Posted by: OmegaPrime.4056

OmegaPrime.4056

The best long term solution for this, if you cannot get any headway with centurylink (like me and my wife), is not to use the -assetsrv cmd flag as anet has said in this thread that those servers are the old update servers and will be shut down later this year. So, what I recommend is to change your dns servers that your router points to, instead of using centurylink’s default dns settings. I tried opendns and it had the same issues as centurylink’s so I tried google’s and it worked. Here is a link on how to set it up “https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using” Tip when doing so, ignore the ipv6 settings setup, its not needed. If your not sure how to do this in your router configuration then use the -assetsrv cmd flag only until you can get help changing the dns settings in your router.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

The best long term solution for this, if you cannot get any headway with centurylink (like me and my wife), is not to use the -assetsrv cmd flag as anet has said in this thread that those servers are the old update servers and will be shut down later this year. So, what I recommend is to change your dns servers that your router points to, instead of using centurylink’s default dns settings. I tried opendns and it had the same issues as centurylink’s so I tried google’s and it worked. Here is a link on how to set it up “https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using” Tip when doing so, ignore the ipv6 settings setup, its not needed. If your not sure how to do this in your router configuration then use the -assetsrv cmd flag only until you can get help changing the dns settings in your router.

thank you for attempting to help out in the community, unfortunately this does not work for everyone, as it does not work for myself either.

I would like to put this out there again that it is not just CenturyLink. I am on Cincinnati Bell in Ohio and my roommates and i also cannot connect ever since last night. I called Cincinnati Bell and they said its on Anets end and its Anets fault.

Its just back and fourth blaming between Anet and the IP’s. I just want it to work so we can all get in game and relax. Some players havent even been able to get on in 3 or 4+ days and Anet is silent on the matter for the most part, not even acknowledging [to my knowledge] that other IPs are also having this issue other then CenturyLink.

thanks again for your help though and trying to assist all of us. Its greatly appreciated . I hope your solution works for someone!

(edited by BinkyofFuraffinity.4629)

Khisanth.2948

That does not sound right …

the second command should look like

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: drwkwiejruot6.cloudfront.net
Addresses: 52.84.139.154
Aliases: assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com

The order of the IPs in the “Addresses:” section doesn’t matter but the set of IPs should be the same.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

That does not sound right …

the second command should look like

Addresses: 52.84.139.154

The order of the IPs in the “Addresses:” section doesn’t matter but the set of IPs should be the same.

thanks for the reply Khisanth, the second one looks like this.

Adresses: 52.84.212.44
Alieases: assetcdn.101.ArenaNetworks.com

can you make heads or tails of this? I am not good with tech or computers. Thanks for your help

Khisanth.2948

Well I am more interested in what the first one(without the 8.8.8.8) gives.

The second one(the one you posted) is what the results should be. They should be nearly identical except maybe for the first two lines.

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

I’ve had the same problems connecting, and for all my gripes with Centurylink, none of them have been for anything internet.
I’ve not sat down and done a proper troubleshooting session, I spend my days doing that and don’t come home to do more work (have I mentioned? Printer drivers are EVIL – but I digress).

I’ve not read the full thread either (tldr), but the gist of this that I’m picking up in my skimming is that the problems probably involve a DNS thing.

If it’s a DNS thing, that puts fault rather firmly on the people running the domain that is failing to provide correct lookups, not on the ISP of the end user who’s getting bad results. If you fail to configure a site’s DNS properly, people will have problems reaching it. The problems may be sporadic, the problems may be intermittent, the problems may include long delays, and the problems can occur weeks or months after the change.
DNS results all have a TTL – a lifespan if you will, for which a single answer remains valid. This means planning ahead before making changes to these settings – a TTL of a half hour isn’t unusual. A TTL of a week isn’t either. Some of my poking at what servers might be needed to respond to a login request came acrose TTLs that were longer still. Upwards of 127800 seconds (4 months). Now, with DNS, TTLs are devilish things – With a 4 month TTL a setting changed 3 months ago will still be valid for another month. If the servers it needs to work are brought down or moved before that fourth and final month elapses, users will be unable to reach it. Printers are evil, but so is DNS, and people running the server trying to troubleshoot a problem will only see the latest data – all good data.

With something the complexity of GW2, and heck, with a system that isn’t fully idle, I don’t know if the servers I saw with long TTLs had anything to ANet or GW2, and heck, a 4 month TTL is valid – if you plan 4 months ahead for any change there wont be any problems. My point here is if it’s DNS, it’s up to the people who control the domain to correctly manage changes to the DNS, and if they manage it incorrectly, symptoms may strike months after changes were made and plague subsets of users – users who have honored long-lived TTL settings, as an ISP or institution might, and in that scenario the lies with GW2.

Apologies for the long post. Someone please, isolate the specific failure. If it’s DNS, that’s going to mean comparing notes between someone working and someone failing – but that also applies if it’s not DNS. For a DNS problem I suggest ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /displaydns to get a snapshot of what servers GuildWars needs good lookups for a working game.

//Portable Corpse
Check your assumptions at the door. Show me what you can prove.

Posted by: Morph.1679

Morph.1679

I was able to log on normally this morning, but did’nt check for ping and fps.
Only quickly logged on before work.

Telkom, Cape Town, South Africa

(edited by Morph.1679)

Posted by: Werner.9317

Werner.9317

Not sure yet what changed, but everything is working for me now.

Experiencing the same issue from South Africa.

Works on the 3 mobile providers, Cell-C, MTN, and Vodacom.

On Telkom, I have noted the following:
forums-en.guildwars2.com works,
wiki.guildwars2.com works,
www.guildwars2.com does not work,
support.guildwars2.com does not work,
account.arena.net does not work,
account.guildwars2.com does not work,
Game Client Login does not work,

I can update the game client from Telkom, however I cannot log in. I can browse all websites apart from “Account” related or sign in related.

@Anet, Is there anything unique with those sites, which would indicate why it would not work?

Still not possible to log into GW2 from South Africa with ISP Telkom.

Vodacom ISP works fine.

My tracert for Telkom:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SlapTjip>tracert www.guildwars2.com

Tracing route to www.guildwars2.com [64.25.47.51]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms hi.link [192.168.8.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 255 ms 379 ms 249 ms 172.17.48.13
4 28 ms 39 ms 30 ms 172.17.48.21
5 46 ms 25 ms 47 ms 8ta-150-179-01.telkomadsl.co.za [41.150.179.1]
6 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms 196.25.188.73
7 195 ms 193 ms 207 ms 196.43.9.86
8 205 ms 206 ms 200 ms ldn-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.35.89]
9 211 ms 194 ms 192 ms ldn-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.246.144]
10 199 ms 201 ms 203 ms prs-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.134.100]
11 215 ms 211 ms 211 ms ffm-bb4-link.telia.net [62.115.143.194]
12 237 ms 214 ms 212 ms ffm-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.121.11]
13 459 ms 558 ms 879 ms ncsoft-ic-306349-ffm-b11.c.telia.net [62.115.43.
74]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\SlapTjip>

Posted by: Yubria.5671

Yubria.5671

Hey all, still using Centurylink, in the Denver Colorado area. Game is working just fine for me still after changing my DNS servers to Google’s.

https://support.opendns.com/entries/95614747-Windows-10-Configuration-Instructions

This article shows how to do it if you are unsure how to set your DNS manually. After you set your DNS I recommend flushing DNS cache and renewing your IP connection. This can all be done through a command prompt.

Easiest way to run a command prompt is go to your start button and type cmd. Windows will pull up Command Prompt. Right click it and run as administrator. (You don’t need quotation marks for commands) First command to type is “ipconfig /release”, then type “ipconfig /flushdns” and lastly type “ipconfig /renew”. Once Windows renews your connection, you can check that you are using the manually input DNS servers, by typing “ipconfig /all”. Look for DNS servers and make sure it’s the choice you put in. Close your command prompt window and try running GW2 normally.

I can’t guarantee it will work for you, but it does for me. I was able to raid and fractal last night and am still logging in today with no issues now.

Thank you! I was having the same issues on my MacBook (I also live in Colorado and use CenturyLink). I couldn’t even get the launcher to show up for the last few days, despite restarting multiple times, which seemed to solve the problem last time it happened. Then I tried changing the DNS, and it’s worked like normal for the last couple hours. I don’t remember if anyone else posted how to do it on a Mac, so here’s the instructions I followed:

Changing the DNS: http://osxdaily.com/2015/12/05/change-dns-server-settings-mac-os-x/

Flushing the DNS: http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/16/howto-flush-dns-cache-os-x-elcap/

Posted by: Pierre.8749

Pierre.8749

I was able to connect today after being unable to for the past 5 days, however, my ping and fps levels are now so bad that I am still unable to play. (5fps anywhere in the game, with ave ping of 450) , all other games are working as normal. JHB, South Africa using Telkom

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

users here in Ohio, using Cincinnati Bell, still cant log on. None of my roommates can, neither can i still. Just putting that info on the table to show its still happening for some of us.

Lets hope this gets resolved fast. Sorry Pierre that you are still unable to play on account of the ping and low fps.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Well I am more interested in what the first one(without the 8.8.8.8) gives.

The second one(the one you posted) is what the results should be. They should be nearly identical except maybe for the first two lines.

Hi Khisanth sorry for the long delay i just gave up on trying to fix it and called it a night. Im back though

the first results are this.

Server: Google-public-dns-a.google.com
Addresses: 52.84.212.153

is there any more information you need? OH id also like to run this by, maybe you can make sense of it. When i do the -diag command in the guild wars 2 properties, to test it these are the results i get.

Computing statistics for 187 seconds…
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 TheBeast.Home [192.168.200.208]
0/ 50 = 0% |
1 0ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% 192.168.200.1
0/ 50 = 0% |
2 1ms 2/ 50 = 4% 2/ 50 = 4% MH1-DSL-74-215-165-1.fuse.net [74.215.165.1]
0/ 50 = 0% |
3 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% 216.68.14.100
0/ 50 = 0% |
4 2ms 1/ 50 = 2% 1/ 50 = 2% 216.68.14.103
0/ 50 = 0% |
5 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% CIN2-BE1.CIN1.core.fuse.net [216.68.14.32]
0/ 50 = 0% |
6 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% te0-0-2-0.nr11.b016343-1.cvg02.atlas.cogentco.com [38.122.234.33]
0/ 50 = 0% |
7 2ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% te0-0-1-1.rcr12.cvg02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.0.129]
0/ 50 = 0% |
8 5ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% be2722.rcr21.ind01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.29.17]
0/ 50 = 0% |
9 8ms 5/ 50 = 10% 5/ 50 = 10% be2719.rcr21.sbn01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.3.29]
0/ 50 = 0% |
10 12ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% be2720.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43.229]
0/ 50 = 0% |
11 12ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% be2765.ccr41.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45.18]
0/ 50 = 0% |
12 12ms 1/ 50 = 2% 1/ 50 = 2% ae-11.r06.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.9.121]
0/ 50 = 0% |
13 12ms 0/ 50 = 0% 0/ 50 = 0% ae-17.r05.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.220]
1/ 50 = 2% |
14 —- 50/ 50 =100% 49/ 50 = 98% ae-1.amazon.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.194.118]
0/ 50 = 0% |
15 18ms 1/ 50 = 2% 0/ 50 = 0% server-52-84-212-37.stl2.r.cloudfront.net [52.84.212.37]

Trace complete.
Section completed in 399.13 seconds

i noticedit says 50/50 100% and then amazon? Amazon.com? is that what its talking about? And is the 50/50 referring to packets of data being lost? I dunno what to make of it thanksfor all your help

there is more information btw from the network diag, but i thought id post this cause i saw thats the one that had 50/50 100%

if anyone can figure it out and help the rest of us towards a solution we’d all appreciate it.

Posted by: TwistedTam.8310

TwistedTam.8310

I was able to connect today after being unable to for the past 5 days, however, my ping and fps levels are now so bad that I am still unable to play. (5fps anywhere in the game, with ave ping of 450) , all other games are working as normal. JHB, South Africa using Telkom

read this and decided to give mine a try.also able to get back on game now but my ping and fps is terrible.even with everything on absolute lowest.hope it’s sorted soon.Telkom,Cape Town South Africa

Posted by: TwistedTam.8310

TwistedTam.8310

hah.my bad.game was using my integrated graphics card even tho the default is set to dedicated.working 100% fine now for me on proper card.feeling optimistic

Posted by: LordLeaf.8529

LordLeaf.8529

hey i can not login to the game client, i keep getting the same message that i have provided with the screenshot i even changed my password to something a bit more simple and i still cant get logged on, i doubt it but is there a way to fix this?

Attachments:

Posted by: Thorin.9624

Thorin.9624

This is still an issue the problem has not been resolved. Have not been able to play since Friday of last week except for a brief period early Sunday morning for about 15 minutes. But having century-link for a provider and a-net for the game servers I am not expecting much.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Phero.4897

Phero.4897

Tried the -assetsrv fix but still doesnt work. Issue has been since Sunday. The Login Prompt comes up and I can enter my information, but it does not connect to the Login Servers. First time I’ve ever had this kind of issue.

ISP: Comcast Xfinity
Build: 66577
Error Code: 42:0:9001:4395

Log:
00000130: Perf: Build 66577
00000130: Perf: 2016-09-13T14:49:26Z
00000130: Perf: Platform 1
00000141: Debug: Game not registered in Game Explorer; parental controls unavailable
00000175: Perf: Archive has version 1 header
00030543: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00030552: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00036765: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00036775: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00037812: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00037816: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00038857: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00038857: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00039895: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00039898: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00039905: Error: Connection-issues detected! Retrying…
00046852: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00046859: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00047904: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00047910: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00048951: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00048961: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00049996: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00050002: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00056978: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00056984: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00058022: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00058025: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00059062: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00059066: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00060101: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00060107: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00067058: Debug: HTTP error status code 504 {Gateway Time-out}
00067068: Error: Failed to retrieve latest [error: 4:0:0:0]
00078201: Perf: Archive has version 1 header

ruzicka.4783

GW2 Tech Support suggests that I change my DNS settings to use the Google Public DNS. However, CenturyLink advises me to NOT do this, as it may create some other potential problems, such as slowdown/freezes or sudden disconnects. As it is, using the -assetsrv option, I am indeed experiencing some momentary slowdowns/freezes.

Obviously, something happened last week, somewhere, which is causing this problem. It is not isolated to one ISP. Anet need to fix this.

Posted by: Stormrunner.8509

Stormrunner.8509

Any word on where we are on this mess? It has been a few days since the last response and most of us are still having issues regardless of ISP. A workaround is NOT a fix.

Posted by: Slaptjip.4895

Slaptjip.4895

I can also confirm.

Telkom South Africa is back up and running.

Don’t know what was wrong or who to thank, just know something was wrong and now it is fixed.

Whoever you are, thank you.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

my game was able to run for about 3 or 4 hours, now its dead again. I was hoping this was resolved but no, its not. Back to being broken after a few hours of gameplay :\

i spoke with support at Anet and they did a few tests and said that the packet data coming from my ISP, Cincinnati Bell, is being lost in transit. Its going halfway then suddenly dieing in the process. I was told only my ISP can fix the issue. :\

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

GW2 Tech Support suggests that I change my DNS settings to use the Google Public DNS. However, CenturyLink advises me to NOT do this, as it may create some other potential problems, such as slowdown/freezes or sudden disconnects. As it is, using the -assetsrv option, I am indeed experiencing some momentary slowdowns/freezes.

Obviously, something happened last week, somewhere, which is causing this problem. It is not isolated to one ISP. Anet need to fix this.

exactly this. When i got in contact with techsupport at Arena Net i was told to switch to googles DNS. I bitterly explained that all of us here on the forums experiencing this issue have tried the work arounds with little to no help and that i needs to be addressed.

The support crew had me run a program and it found that the traffic route from my ISP to the Arena Net servers is getting lost in traffic, the data is just dropping dead around half way to Arena Nets serves. Again i was told “contact your ISP”. My ISP say they cannot help me, and that it is nothing that can be fixed through them. I am at a loss .

My game was miraculously able to load and play for about 3-4 hours. I decided to go make lunch and came back and now the game is no longer able to get past 0/0 downloading ONCE again.

WORD TO THE WISE: DO NOT CLOSE YOUR GAME IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE AND ARE ABLE TO GET IN. If you close it, you will VERY likely be locked out again. Stay on the character select screen or something if you really wanna play again and are taking a break for food or something. The chances of it locking you out again are there. I dont know the likely hood, but its there. :\

ruzicka.4783

Latest email reply from Anet regarding the problem and the “fix” of using the Google Public DNS….

“I cannot fix your ISP’s data centers I can give you a step to fix the issue but I cannot make you use it.”

So Anet is essentially saying that it is my ISPs fault, not theirs. Even though many more ISPs than the one I use are involved in this. So all of these ISPs must have the exact same problem at the exact same time….and Anet has nothing to do with it.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Latest email reply from Anet regarding the problem and the “fix” of using the Google Public DNS….

“I cannot fix your ISP’s data centers I can give you a step to fix the issue but I cannot make you use it.”

So Anet is essentially saying that it is my ISPs fault, not theirs. Even though many more ISPs than the one I use are involved in this. So all of these ISPs must have the exact same problem at the exact same time….and Anet has nothing to do with it.

^ this. its absurd.

I am now on hold again with my ISP, for the third time, trying to get this idiocy resolved which i know it wont. I know they will just blame Anet and Anet will blame the ISP.

ruzicka.4783

Further email from the GW2 Support Team when I asked what proof they had that the ISPs were to blame:

“Any answer as to the cause of the issue would be speculation on my part. Speculation is not helpful. That being said I think you have a strong misunderstanding of how ISP’s function. They may be separate corporate entities but many of them run off of the same infrastructure and run through the same hubs and data centers.”

So they do NOT know the root cause. They are only speculating that it lies with the ISPs.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Yeah. Am out too. My ISP is in Canada. So…every ISP on the planet is having an issue? If I have a business and no one can get to my webpage, I’m going to do the legwork and investigation myself, not drive every client crazy.

Posted by: mindcrime.2019

mindcrime.2019

Reading this and kinda noticed something no one has stated, I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. CenturyLink HQ is located in Seattle if I am not mistaken, so is ArenaNet, hmmmm. too much coincidence that it mostly effecting CenturyLink customers in my opinion, four years no problems no all of a sudden we hit the four year mark and cant log in. Almost sounds like a contract expired not saying it did but timing would suggest that between the two companies.

Khisanth.2948

Reading this and kinda noticed something no one has stated, I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. CenturyLink HQ is located in Seattle if I am not mistaken, so is ArenaNet, hmmmm. too much coincidence that it mostly effecting CenturyLink customers in my opinion, four years no problems no all of a sudden we hit the four year mark and cant log in. Almost sounds like a contract expired not saying it did but timing would suggest that between the two companies.

http://www.centurylink.com/aboutus/
CenturyLink is in Monroe, Louisiana.

If anything expired it would probably be a peering agreement between CenturyLink and whatever other carriers are needed to reach the CDN servers … which are owned by Amazon.

Posted by: Pyraes.7462

Pyraes.7462

I’m from Montana on charter internet. I recently used the -assetsrv fix and it worked for a couple of days before i’m back to the same problem, the other methods mentioned on here didn’t work and so my one question is does anybody have a permanent fix yet? I’m working on a PC with windows 10.

ruzicka.4783

GW2 Tech Support keeps telling me that I should change my DNS addresses to the Google Public DNS. That seems to be their official recommendation at this point.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I was able to get log in and play with the -assetsrv 174.35.71.9:80 my entire shortcut looks like this:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe” -assetsrv 174.35.71.9:80

This fixed issue for me, thank you.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

misterman.1530

I got the same email from Support about using -assetsrv last night. When I got up this morning, before I made that change, I tested logging in as normal. It worked. I guess “my” ISP “fixed” something.

Posted by: Shuai Liu

Previous

Shuai Liu

Server Programmer

Next

Hello guys,

If you are still affected by the issue (or you are only able to patch by using one of the workarounds), we can use your help again to collect some more debug info. Here’s what I would like you to do:

1. (Optional) If you used the google DNS workaround, please reset the changes.
2. Download cURL from https://curl.haxx.se/. (cURL is a tool that can be used to test http requests. You can remove it after the test. For more info on the app, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL)
3. Open a command prompt, and run
curl -i http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101
4. Open http://d7uri8nf7uskq.cloudfront.net/JsCustomerTesting.html in your browser and run the test

When you are done, please reply to this thread with the following information
1. Your location
2. Your ISP
3. entire output from cURL (step 3 in the instructions above)
4. Your customer GUID from the CloudFront test (step 4 from the instructions above)

Once we collect enough data, we will continue the investigation with our CDN provider.

Thank you for your help!

misterman.1530

Canada (Ottawa)
Rogers

Output from cURL:
HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 669
Connection: keep-alive
Server: CloudFront
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:29:44 GMT
X-Cache: Error from cloudfront
Via: 1.1 9529e3aa2695189adcc1591e1de96f84.cloudfront.net (CloudFront)
X-Amz-Cf-Id: JPFqmCIwuyk-JAkoXVhh9wkAOynCraYFhEYXOjDfAya1mBHPwi7sZA==

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd”>
<HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV=“Content-Type” CONTENT=“text/html; charset=iso-8859
-1”>
<TITLE>ERROR: The request could not be satisfied</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>ERROR</H1>
<H2>The request could not be satisfied.</H2>
<HR noshade size=“1px”>
CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection.
<BR clear=“all”>
<HR noshade size=“1px”>
<PRE>
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: MVEJmFalVU2URk8PjTOp5gVM3y2FVjueexOawt0C_m2qO-7dJR-R_Q==
</PRE>
<ADDRESS>
</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

GUID: 5656-26806-5442-7902

ruzicka.4783

Sorry for the newbie kind of question here….

I can download the curl zip file, no problem. But how do I actually install it?

misterman.1530

Sorry for the newbie kind of question here….

I can download the curl zip file, no problem. But how do I actually install it?

You don’t. Copy the app to a folder directly on your C: or some other drive
Open a Command Prompt as administrator
Go to the drive/folder containing the CURL.EXE file.

Run the command as mentioned. It will seem to do nothing. Then open your browser to the site specified.

Once completed there, you will see that the Command prompt window has text (see mine above your post).

Follow the rest of the instructions.

ruzicka.4783

1. Your location: Aurora, Colorado USA

2. Your ISP: CenturyLink

3. entire output from cURL
C:\Users\Test\Desktop\curl-7.50.2-win64-mingw\bin>curl -i http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101
HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 669
Connection: keep-alive
Server: CloudFront
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:51:06 GMT
X-Cache: Error from cloudfront
Via: 1.1 6a3fafc973ec663da71e0251cec24129.cloudfront.net (CloudFront)
X-Amz-Cf-Id: WOOBVXC2DUg4EVnJmQPsPsbf-NXROIA9wANiH0XCosZpfpoLGy1Gbg==

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd”>
<HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>ERROR: The request could not be satisfied</TITLE>

</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>ERROR</H1>
<H2>The request could not be satisfied.</H2>
<HR noshade size="1px">
CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection.
<BR clear="all">
<HR noshade size="1px">
<PRE>
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: B6zRuLGIOAOmG77qj3eXyVvQvo3eIZpupHkdIA240gSnmZvdbRxW4A==

</PRE> <ADDRESS> </ADDRESS>

</BODY></HTML>
C:\Users\Test\Desktop\curl-7.50.2-win64-mingw\bin>

4. Your customer GUID from the CloudFront test: 20692-4689-0004-6235

Posted by: sibylle.8274

sibylle.8274

I’m on day 6 of nothing working. The -assetsrv method is no longer working for me at all.

ruzicka.4783

You might try changing the address that the -assetsrv points to!