game keeps crashing, imac late 2013

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: jupe.7864

jupe.7864

latest OS version 27 inch gtx780m, the game is currently unplayable on my new mac.
After seconds or a few minutes it crashes and gets my back to the desktop. The image below shows the error message. It’s the error message i get MOST of the times, some times there is no error message at all. I tried various things that i saw posted here including the manual update of cider but still no luck. Also i notice that i can hear the fans spinning, this happens only for gw2 but very quickly, less than a minute after i launch the game.

Attachments:

Posted by: Felicja.6891

Felicja.6891

Hi Jupe,

sorry to hear you are having trouble. Does this error show up after you see the login launcher, character selection screen, or when you are actually in game?

Another GW2 user had a similar issue about a year ago, see https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Randomly-crashes-while-running-lockedRect-pBits/first#post244041

The fix from what I can understand from his/her post is that reinstalling client fixed the issue.

I would add that you also repair both system permissions as well as user home folder permissions (your user’s account permissions are not normally fixed when you run “repair permissions”). Sorry to be referring you to multiple posts, but follow these instructions detailed in this post to re-install your GW2 client and repair both system and user home folder permissions:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/TgUpdate-1-11-everytime-i-open-the-launcher/page/3#post3406144

Good luck! Let me know if this worked for you.

(edited by Felicja.6891)

Posted by: J Night.3468

J Night.3468

yep, got my brand new imac recently and been crashing nonstop. mainly in high populated events. what you wanna do is lower every graphic setting down (select best performance) at those events and hope you don’t crash. it still happened to me the other day at tequatl.

reinstalling, repairing permissions, deleting local files and all that is all bullkitten. nothing works.

Embrace the darkness..

Felicja.6891

jupe and J Night,

could you post your crash logs into this thread please? If there are multiple entries in the log, just find the latest one (look for date under line When: inside the log)

Alternatively you can use pastebin.com to paste the contents of the entire log.

The file you are looking for is called “ArenaNet.log” and you can find it in

(If this path shows up on multiple lines, it should be all one line)

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2/p_drive/User/Application Data/Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Felicja.6891)

J Night.3468

Embrace the darkness..

Felicja.6891

Thanks J Night. The latest crash I see in the log is from Dec 16. Could you try deleting the entire log file and then run the GW2 client again until it crashes? Then if possible, could you post that crash log as well?
What are your current Graphics Options in GW2? Please list all the settings.

My partner has pretty much exactly same hardware (in her case the GPU has 4 GB) and turning down the graphics options to the following worked:

Animation: Low
Antialiasing: None
Environment : Low
LOD Distance: Low
Reflections: None
Textures: Low
Render Sampling: Native
Shadows: None
Shaders: Medium
Postprocessing: Low
Character Model Limit: Medium
Character Model Quality: Low

Only Depth Blur and Effect LOD are checked.

I am not sure if you have seen this already but take a look at this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/LockedRect-pBits-crash

(edited by Felicja.6891)

J Night.3468

well they were med to low on my mbp before. with a more powerful machine they’re all med to high now coz… there’s no way i’m gonna go back to kittenty graphics. but i still find myself having to choose “best performance” and lower everything down in crowded events to not crash.

however.. i did crash with all low settings the last time at tequatl, with the same lockedRect error message. but i noticed at that time i did have the character limit to low i think, instead of lowest.

edit; like i said.. i’m not gonna lower my gfx settings on this brand new powerful machine. ;p my settings are posted and i think i only crash in teq like events before i started lowering everything down.

Attachments:

Embrace the darkness..

(edited by J Night.3468)