in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: jyang.3021

jyang.3021

and im in 1680X1050

AMD CPUs and Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Anjrew.5931

Anjrew.5931

You can’t really use GW2 as a benchmarking tool quite yet. Lots of people have really low fps for what they “should” be getting. I’m one of them. I’ve seen other people posting systems slower than mine (even still FX processors) with WAY better framerates. Some people are affected, some aren’t. It’s got to be a software or driver issue. I would guess many optimizations are yet to be made. Also video card drivers will better support the game soon too.

As for some of those GW2 cpu benchmarks, those are when they really drop GPU reliance by decreasing the resolution drastically. That’s why they can even see a difference in fps on the same video card. It’s a good way to benchmark cpu’s. However, crank up the resolution and graphics settings and the GPU goes to work, fps difference will be minimal at that point, even if it is a red-headed stepchild of a bulldozer cpu. In fact my low FPS never changes much with large player population on screen and tons of spell effects or nothing going on at all. I can only do about 40-50fps. Definitely a software issue here…

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz/ Sapphire Radeon 7950 / Mushkin Redline 2100MHz / 256gb Samgsung 830 SSD

Posted by: aop.6052

aop.6052

Sure is lot of AMD owners in denial here.

AMD CPUs are worthless in CPU bound games these days. I went from Phenom II X4 965BE to Intel Core i5 2500k and got 50-100% fps increase in CPU bound games like ArmA II, Shogun II and X-Plane 9.

No software update is going to make AMD CPUs suck less in gaming.

For those who say “you need to OC AMD CPUs for true potential” I respond: good luck matching OCd Intel CPU. AMD “high end” CPUs have TDP of 125W out of the box and the thermal output is just going get higher when you OC it. For comparison Ivy Bridge has 77W TDP and Sandy Bridge 95W. You are going to need much beefier cooling and PSU to reach same OC as Intel CPUs and you are still slower.

While lower end Intel CPUs are locked you have to ask your self if it’s worth it to spend $$$ on cooling, PSU and good OC motherboard and go with AMD when locked low end Intel is going to give you same gaming performance for less money than OCd “high end” AMD.

Posted by: UKNightWatch.5742

UKNightWatch.5742

Yawn!

What a long read that little lot was. Well, long considering that it just seems to be another incarnation of which is better – AMD or Intel.

I have, over the years used both AMD and intel stock with various results and been generally happy with both.

I really cannot be bothered to sift through sheet after sheet of specifications, comparison charts or bloated reviews that are all for the most part bias in favour of one side of this argument or the other. In the past maybe I would have done those things, but it really serves no purpose here – especially as it seems a few of the posters herein are doing so already.

So, as a user of both AMD with ATI in my main machine and Intel with Nvidia in my secondary desktop I will post the basic specification of the machine I use for GW2 with comment to follow;

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t ~2.8GHz

(Was OC’d to 3.4GHz (ish) but reverted to factory default for testing and not bothered putting it back)

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D14

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

Mem: 12GB Corsair XMS3

GFX: ATI R5850 HD 2gb VaporX (Sapphire)

Monitors: 3*HannsG HH241 in Eyefinity

So! That machine is the main machine I use as a multi-purpose, eveyday rig and for gaming.

The games I have installed, use in varying degrees of frequency with very good graphics include STO, LOTRO, WOT, AOC and a couple of Betas I’m not allowed to disclose.

My comment about game play on that rig? It does the job well!

The AMD / Intel and ATI / Nvidia debates will rage on for as long as those companies are in competition at least.

For us GW2 players, the fact is that we cannot all afford to change our rigs on a whim based on the current trends or who is the market leader or which company is demonstrably or perceived as the better manufacturer.

For those wanting a new machine for gaming, there are many factors to think of, not least how much ‘bang for your buck’ we can get. Remember that just because a brand is the current ‘flavour of the month’ does not mean it will offer the best components or mix thereof for our computing needs! Also, ask yourself ‘Do I really need the bells and whistles?’ as often a bright shiny package may not contain the best product for our needs.

I almost forgot to mention GW2!

I am very happily running GW2 at the settings the game detected / set – all high as memory serves – and have been in PVE and WvW with no apparent issue so far. From memory again as I have not got game on at moment, I get FPS between about 40 and about 60 and it works well for me. (Edit: FPS is a bit lower and more clearly shown in later post).

Remember, I am using eyefinity with 3 monitors acting as 1 and this affects FPS – I have not tried GW2 with the same rig and only one monitor showing the game as yet.

Point is, my AMD rig works fine with GW2 and is not anywhere near ‘unplayable’.

I’m off to switch everything possible to Ultra just to see how it pans out but, in truth, I quite like the game with the high settings I have already.

If Ultra proves too much for my rig (in eyefinity), I’ll drop back to high and be happy.

No rig in my sig? Only posted if needed!

(edited by UKNightWatch.5742)

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

GW2 CPU perfomance chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Dosent have Phenom II or Intels old Core2’s in there either but if it did odds are they would both be scoreing higher FPS than the Bulldozer CPU’s aswell

Kind of baffling to why they left out the more common CPU’s from the benchmarks.

I’m using a Phenom II X6 1090T and I don’t have framerate or crash issues.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: Brem.6792

Brem.6792

Well guess they cut out the older stuff to save time when doing the perfomance charts takes alot of work to test them all. But i agree would be nice there are still alot of people on Phenom II and Core2 that would be interested in how the CPU’s perform in there tests.

The Phenom II CPU’s arent that bad tbh, much better for gaming than the Bulldozer CPU’s are, In CPU limited games like GW2 or WoW Bulldozer is just to slow.

Alot of newer games that don’t relly on the CPU as much they perfome better and the differance is hardly noticable.

Posted by: Adam Chattaway.6418

Adam Chattaway.6418

AMD Phenom II 3.2 955BE, 12gig 1600mhz Dominator Ram, 120gig SSD agility 3, Radeon AMD 6970 2gig @ 1920×1080, windows 7 64 bit running Minimum gfx.

Small Skirmish – 20-30 fps
Medium Battle – 15-25 fps
Keep Siege – 6-16 fps

… people with lower specs or the same as me claiming 30-60 fps in sieges… sorry but that’s just crap and a lie and you know it, stop e peening and misleading people, the WvW lagg is horrific and on max gfx down right UNPLAYABLE with freezes and pauses and jitters and sub 10 constant fps. i need to upgrade to an I7 3770k this weekend.

[Ranger 80] [Guardian 80] [ Warrior 80]

Posted by: TheEhn.5920

TheEhn.5920

Reflections = off , Shadows = low, Everything else pretty much maxed. 40-60 Fps in normal questing , little events. WvW maybe 30-35 fps wich is nowhere near smooth or something i would play no matter how many stupid ppl say “oh yeah i play maxed out just fine!!! (30fps)” knowing nothing. The truth is AMD is not that good, but thats what iv got. No money atm to replace my mobo / cpu, just hoping to see good results from Vishera. If not, i guess ill just have to save some and do the switch. Rig in sig.

Phenom 955 @ 3,7 | 6950 @ 890 / 1270 |
Kingston HyperX Black limited 8Gb |
Sabertooth 990FX | Nexus RX-1K | Samsung F3 1Tb | Antec DF-85 |

Posted by: perche.3215

perche.3215

all the people with phenoms II running the wvwvw at 30-60 fps with people around can post any screenshot?

Posted by: gosu.8153

gosu.8153

You won’t beat an overclocked 2600K in gaming. You just won’t. Not unless you’ve managed to do something that no benchmark site has managed.

You should talk from real world gaming performance,not benches done against FX’s that arent being oc’d,because that are what most benches show.I know because i beat a friend of mine who has a 2600k,and his temps rises like its wanting to set his house on fire when trying to oc the 2600k,70c+. Yet im going from 3.1 to 4.6 just by upping the multiplier to 23.x on 1.4V and my cpu stays around 50 under full load and blasts away anything i throw at it.Trying to give his 2600k a stable oc was a already a pain without the insanely added heat.

You are clueless.
First, you can’t compare AMD cpu temp to Intel cpu temp. AMD CPUs run cooler and lower max operating temperature. Intel CPUs run warmer and have higher max operating temperature. 70c might be bad for AMD but it’s fine for OCed Intel CPU.

Second, 2600k is actually a beast for overclocking. Sounds like your friend didn’t know what he was doing.

Third, the 2600k has better real world gaming performance than any AMD consumer level CPU. And in the real world, most people don’t OC their CPU.

Posted by: Juutas.7320

Juutas.7320

Try 3dmark 11 Basic from their homepage. It’s free and rapes your computer good. Tell then your scores! I had 4824 points from it. AMD Phenom II x 4 B55 Black Edition 3,71GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 ti CU 950MHz 2200MHz. 12 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz. Corsair VX550W Powersupply.

Don’t worry, be Jormag! -Sons of Svanir Fan Club

UKNightWatch.5742

Hi all,

First a small explanation;

In my previous post, I gave a ‘rough’ of my system specifications. I did not do that to be part of some ‘kitten’ contest! I just wanted to outline the machine I use on a daily basis for general PC tasks and gaming. The idea of me trying to brag or beat someone in an ‘kitten’ contest is laughable. This is for two main reasons – first I do not know or care what systems anybody else has and would only know from reading these forums (on trust) and only care if I was looking at a system specification with a mind to help solve any problem that a fellow user may have. The second reason should be somewhat obvious! My ‘rig’, though toyed and tinkered with over the time since I built it, is some years old now and I know there are many newer configuration home computers that would leave mine standing in terms of speed and power. A third reason comes to mind too! Though any reader of this can only take my word on the matter, I simply do not operate on a competitive level and never have.
That said and with a view to answering the ‘screenshot or it did not happen’ readers, I will provide some data / information for reading by anyone who feels the need to.

Next 3D mark;

I got the latest ‘3D Mark’ download and update! The results from 3D mark while having my desktop in eyefinity mode but 3D Mark only in the most basic (free) settings follow are shown in these images;

[img]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/Image2.jpg[/img]

And the Score breakdown;

[IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/Image5.jpg[/IMG]

An extract from the GW2 game advisor ran on my GW2 rig;

System Information
—————————
Time of this report: 9/15/2012, 16:26:01
Machine name: PHENOMANON
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-890FXA-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12284MB RAM
Page File: 3371MB used, 21195MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
——————
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

In game Eyefinty screen shots with associated cut outs for easier viewing;

In game centre monitor only used for play images;

I must point out that the images are on a free image host so do not give a fully appreciable reproduction!

For those that may have missed the FPS, it is bottom right of options panel.

In the time I have had in game today I have been unable to get on to WvW and got sick of waiting in the queue! But when I have been in WvW, though I cannot show thus at this time, I have been in large fights with multiple players and NPCs. In such fights, I did not have the options panel on to show FPS. I did not see any juddering, hitching, rubber banding or other noticeable slow down in game play – though it was a bit tough seeing my character in the centre of the mellee!

UKNightWatch.5742

Continued due to text limit:

So! This really is not a competition for me. The AMD vs Intel / ATI vs Nvidia arguments will rage on and on and on – no matter what I or any other poster her says. All I know is that my rig plays GW2 quite well enough for me.

It is obvious to me that a lower end system will give lower end results and a higher end system will give higher end results. Also, altering graphics settings does have a large affect on how fast and well the game (GW2) appears.

Anyway, in short, AMD processors are not as bad as some are making them out to be, neither are intel. Processors, graphics cards, and audio of various types and in various combinations all have problems to varying degrees with GW2 for some but not all users – that is a demonstrated (forums again) fact. AN have made many statements regarding fixing of known issues – they are working on them!

And for those wondering (you maybe saw my posts in other threads), I do have two issues with the game and my hardware just now;

1, Sound through 5.1 speakers has problems – search the forums to see what I mean!

2, GW2 is not yet fully wide screen gaming compliant – I need to use the excellent ‘Flawless Widescreen’ when playing in eyefinity for reasons explained elsewhere in these forums.

Play the game folks or do not. Help others in these forums that are looking for help or do not. Please though, let’s have less of the my rig is better than yours and less of the snide remarks relating to the knowledge or choices of our fellows. Lastly; blanket remarks about how bad a certain type of hardware is really do not help and only serve to split our wonderful (GW2 forums) community. Give it a rest already!

Edit: A certain phrase word for technology type owned is changed (to ‘kitten’) by the filter.

Posted by: Army.5172

Army.5172

Now sincerly .. since 2 days ago i had an Phenom IIx4 955BE@3,8 Ghz, Evga gtx 560 ti , 8gb ddr3@1600 Corsair and on best appearance in towns 30-35 max , outside pve a max of 40 maybe 50 fps , On events 20-25-30 fps max … who says they play at 50 + fps with Phenom yeah maybe at medium settings .. ive changed reflections off, shadows off and post procesing to low and yes i managed 60 – 70+ fps but not stable and on events even with this settings theyll drop to 40 max..
So now i bought an Intel 3470 Ivy and a new motherboard ofc and i play the game all settings on high except shadows – medium and reflections – Sky and Terrain and it can pull 80 -90 + fps PvE , 30 – 60 + fps events depends on the scale of the event but the minimum its 30 and on WvWvW 25 – 40 fps but all stable. I wanna mention that i play the game at 1920×1080 and i havent tried to OC the cpu yet even if its not a K it can go up to @4 Ghz :P… Have a nice day peeps !

QQ FTW >.>

Posted by: Army.5172

Army.5172

Sry for the bad grammar .. its a lil late ima go to sleep :P ^^

QQ FTW >.>

UKNightWatch.5742

My Grammar’s so bad! Can’t take her anywhere!

Don’t worry about spellink or gram too much – we can see what you mean.

G’nite.

Adam Chattaway.6418

My Grammar’s so bad! Can’t take her anywhere!

Don’t worry about spellink or gram too much – we can see what you mean.

G’nite.

I have a 955BE and the performance is crap with 12 gig ddr3 and 6970 2 GIG, AMD processors are clearly worse on this game, and as you did not provide any WVW shots i dont really trust you, like the people shouting i have 120 fps with v sync on in wvw using a ati 3700… post a WvW screenshot please on max gfx, also at prime time i only had to que 20 min, and i play on the most populated server. even i get 60 fps capped in pve fighting a mob, but 10 in WVW so…

Posted by: CptBadger.5918

CptBadger.5918

AMD Phenom II 3.2 955BE, 12gig 1600mhz Dominator Ram, 120gig SSD agility 3, Radeon AMD 6970 2gig @ 1920×1080, windows 7 64 bit running Minimum gfx.

Keep Siege – 6-16 fps

… people with lower specs or the same as me claiming 30-60 fps in sieges… sorry but that’s just crap and a lie and you know it, stop e peening and misleading people, the WvW lagg is horrific and on max gfx down right UNPLAYABLE with freezes and pauses and jitters and sub 10 constant fps. i need to upgrade to an I7 3770k this weekend.

^^This pretty much. So many false claims here (just like in many others performance related threads). It’s really unbelievable how delusional / uneducated some people seem to be. Or maybe they just enjoy trolling.

You claim have 60+ fps in WvW ? FRAPS IT AND POST IT.

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

Keep Siege – 6-16 fps

^^This pretty much. So many false claims here (just like in many others performance related threads). It’s really unbelievable how delusional / uneducated some people seem to be. Or maybe they just enjoy trolling.

You claim have 60+ fps in WvW ? FRAPS IT AND POST IT.

You’ll never get a video of that because it’s not possible. Anyone who says otherwise is an exaggerating liar. My 965 system totally sucks for Gw2. FPS quoted above are 100% on the money for ANY P2.

A faildozer@5ghz does a LITTLE bit better, I’d say double the fps above if you can get your faildozer to 5ghz. Still really crap for what it is.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

Personally I would only consider AMD for their video cards, their multicore advertising is almost as bad as Asus with their 8phase to 12phase motherboards. There is a reason why AMD CPUs are half the price to an intel one.

Posted by: Winterchill.7156

Winterchill.7156

Had owned an FX 4100 but overclocking does nothing with most of the games I tried it with. Word of advice? Bulldozer is POS in gaming. No offense.. and the 8 core ones? … Make it even 20 cores and it’s still useless. It’s good for multimedia or server workloads but not for gaming. Bought a used i5 2500k OC’d to 4.5Ghz and never looked back. Never go bulldozer for gaming period.

IGN: Demons Edge
Class: Mesmer
Server: IoJ

Posted by: Skyliner.7436

Skyliner.7436

Sure is lot of AMD owners in denial here. AMD CPUs are worthless in CPU bound games these days.

There’s none so blind as those who will not see.

UKNightWatch.5742

AMD processors are clearly worse on this game, and as you did not provide any WVW shots i dont really trust you

Right then!

Trust me or do not! That is up to you.

I do not claim that AMD are better or that Intel is. They both have good and bad points in general. You have your opinion, I have my opinion and that is fair enough.

Now I have been more than reasonable so far and even suggested that my rig is getting a bit long in the tooth. The information I provided is truthful and includes unaltered 3DMark and GW2 game advisor data*. The images I have linked are unaltered with the exception of the ones that are cut outs from the larger images (they are cut out but otherwise unaltered). I have not faked any data or altered any. The screen shots that clearly show the in game menu with FPS where grabbed from the game and I did not alter anything – the FPS shown is real for example.

To say you do not trust me for any reason is tantamount to trolling and uncalled for, but as I said, that is up to you. No point starting a flame war over this, but I find it impossible to reason with the unreasonable.

To those arguing that I and others are lying or deluded, I have no answer to change your blinkered opinion! I have, as noted, provided my data / information truthfully – take it as is or simply dismiss it without consideration.

I do not need to provide any more data or information and feel that even if I did, those of you that have clear superiority issues will likely either call me a liar outright or infer in some way that I am not trustworthy.

It seems strange to me that I (seemingly alone though I may need to reread the thread) have shown honest evidence of what my system is capable of just to be told I am untrustworthy and have it inferred that I am a liar or deluded when all I have done is submitted honest data and information. Others in this thread have shown data or information and I have read (most of) it with interest and not raised question about the validity of those submissions.

I am or have been a part of many gaming forums and, for the most part, the forum communities I have been part of have been great. It is starting to look to me as if these GW2 forums are far from great. The unfriendly attitudes, arrogance, sniping, rudeness, negativity and trolling of the type that is meant to offend in these forums are not good at all.

I will continue to enjoy GW2 on my system at the settings the game detects or maybe alter the settings slightly upwards.None of you naysayers can change that. I find GW2 to be an excellent game (even with the teething troubles) and I hope you all enjoy the game too – regardless of your systems or bias.

*My CPU is reported as 2.8 GHz by windows as the ‘stock’ (I cannot think of other way to express that just now) setting. In reality the CPU is overclocked to approximately 3.4 GHz . Trust me on this or do not – it will not change the fact.

Adam Chattaway.6418

AMD processors are clearly worse on this game, and as you did not provide any WVW shots i dont really trust you

Right then!

Trust me or do not! That is up to you.

I do not claim that AMD are better or that Intel is. They both have good and bad points in general. You have your opinion, I have my opinion and that is fair enough.

Now I have been more than reasonable so far and even suggested that my rig is getting a bit long in the tooth. The information I provided is truthful and includes unaltered 3DMark and GW2 game advisor data*. The images I have linked are unaltered with the exception of the ones that are cut outs from the larger images (they are cut out but otherwise unaltered). I have not faked any data or altered any. The screen shots that clearly show the in game menu with FPS where grabbed from the game and I did not alter anything – the FPS shown is real for example.

To say you do not trust me for any reason is tantamount to trolling and uncalled for, but as I said, that is up to you. No point starting a flame war over this, but I find it impossible to reason with the unreasonable.

To those arguing that I and others are lying or deluded, I have no answer to change your blinkered opinion! I have, as noted, provided my data / information truthfully – take it as is or simply dismiss it without consideration.

I do not need to provide any more data or information and feel that even if I did, those of you that have clear superiority issues will likely either call me a liar outright or infer in some way that I am not trustworthy.

It seems strange to me that I (seemingly alone though I may need to reread the thread) have shown honest evidence of what my system is capable of just to be told I am untrustworthy and have it inferred that I am a liar or deluded when all I have done is submitted honest data and information. Others in this thread have shown data or information and I have read (most of) it with interest and not raised question about the validity of those submissions.

I am or have been a part of many gaming forums and, for the most part, the forum communities I have been part of have been great. It is starting to look to me as if these GW2 forums are far from great. The unfriendly attitudes, arrogance, sniping, rudeness, negativity and trolling of the type that is meant to offend in these forums are not good at all.

I will continue to enjoy GW2 on my system at the settings the game detects or maybe alter the settings slightly upwards.None of you naysayers can change that. I find GW2 to be an excellent game (even with the teething troubles) and I hope you all enjoy the game too – regardless of your systems or bias.

*My CPU is reported as 2.8 GHz by windows as the ‘stock’ (I cannot think of other way to express that just now) setting. In reality the CPU is overclocked to approximately 3.4 GHz . Trust me on this or do not – it will not change the fact.

Whow now that was one major rant, you make this giant post moaning because i say i don’t trust you? why should i when you refuse to post WVW screenshots, oc you will be questioned.

Dude.. just post a dam WvWvW screenshot in a keep siege with you’re fps it is not HARD now is it, so do it please.

(edited by Adam Chattaway.6418)

Posted by: go to sleep.6187

go to sleep.6187

You’re linking a synthetic non gaming benchmark that utilizes all cores. As said previously, games don’t utilize all cores, and per core performance is much more important.

Here’s a much more detailed compilations of benchmarks showing Intel massive lead:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=434

Note CPU bound games such as WoW and SC2 performing almost 100% higher on Ivy Bridge compared to the FX-8150.

You forget to mention WoW and SC2 are also known for being poorly optimized too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah1RjWG9Z05cdDlnUk5VTHJfWFhKSlBvejlLT2doN0E&hl=en_US#gid=0

Just because the MMO and RTS genre are almost entirely CPU bound doesn’t mean they’re poorly optimized.

You’re again linking synthetic benchmarks. In that entire spreadsheet you link 2 games. One of which is Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is almost purely GPU bound in the same way that BF3 is. In the other game however, you can clearly see that it’s beaten by a mile.

If you’d like to fool yourself into thinking AMD is currently viable, go ahead. But please don’t go ahead misinforming others with false information.

Despite me playing various mmos between wow, rift and aion, I’ve only had problems with this game. Yeah I’m misinforming people by telling them how bad this game is optimized. I guarantee none of the devs are running AMD cpus and are only fixing performance problems for Intel users to save time and money.

Now kindly show me a benchmark were Pentium Dualcores outperform FX 8000’s.

Here ya go:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-15.html

Then go ahead and navigate to the rest of the gaming benchmark pages. Notice how the i3 is above the 8150 in almost every game?

There’s nothing wrong about being misinformed on certain subjects and learning something new. Problems only arise when you start stating said misinformation as unfounded fact.

you sound like a class a kitten

UKNightWatch.5742

Whow now that was one major rant, you make this giant post moaning because i say i don’t trust you? why should i when you refuse to post WVW screenshots, oc you will be questioned.

Dude.. just post a dam WvWvW screenshot in a keep siege with you’re fps it is not HARD now is it, so do it please.

Major rant? I get called a liar or deluded or untrustworthy then respond in a reasonable (if somewhat long) manner and you think that is a rant?

[rant – verb (used without object) – 1. to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave]

(For some reason, the forum just now is not allowing formatting – textile or bb)

A little extravagant? Maybe! Violent or wild? No! Vehement? Well, I’ll give you that one – of course I want to make it clear that I am not untrustworthy, deluded or lying. I have no reason to lie and trust is a big issue for me – you did not to know that of course.

If you look back at my posts regarding the general FPS range I get;

‘I am very happily running GW2 at the settings the game detected / set – all high as memory serves – and have been in PVE and WvW with no apparent issue so far. From memory again as I have not got game on at moment, I get FPS between about 40 and about 60 and it works well for me. (Edit: FPS is a bit lower and more clearly shown in later post).’

I can see how that quote infers I meant FPS in WvW. I actually meant FPS in general.

Further to that I informed that I am using eyefinity across 3 monitors and that affects FPS.

I then posted information from 3DMark and GW2 game advisor and images showing general FPS in PVE with different monitor settings. I also said that I got sick of waiting in the line for WvW. I will try to get into WvW tonight to get the screen shots you demand.

I have tried to remain reasonable throughout this debate but it seems reason is not enough for some people.

And by the way your tone is quite unpleasant but maybe you are just having a bad day. Regardless, talking down to people as you have is quite rude. Go ahead, continue in that manner – it’s all ‘water off a ducks back’ so to say.

Screen shots will be edited in if / when I get time. Should you wish to prove your point or demonstrate how much grander your system is when compared to others then you may wish to contribute some screen shots in a similar manner as I have.

Once again, with no malice or sugar coated niceness and sincerely; I find GW2 to be an excellent game (even with the teething troubles) and I hope you all enjoy the game too.

Posted by: masterludda.3476

masterludda.3476

Some advice stay away from AMD CPU’s.

Adam Chattaway.6418

Here is a screen i just took on max gfx 1920×1080, near the lumber mill with a small event going on near.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7044/gw305c.jpg

around 34-38 fps

I was in mists yesterday and talking with a guy who had a 570 gtx gfx card which is a little worse then the card i have and he had an i7 and he was on 60 capped with vsync and me about 30 fps. shows how much intel makes a difference.

UKNightWatch.5742

Here is a screen i just took on max gfx 1920×1080, near the lumber mill with a small event going on near.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7044/gw305c.jpg

around 34-38 fps

I was in mists yesterday and talking with a guy who had a 570 gtx gfx card which is a little worse then the card i have and he had an i7 and he was on 60 capped with vsync and me about 30 fps. shows how much intel makes a difference.

That’s a pretty picture! Would have been good to see the graphics settings but that’s no problem.

I have had a bit of time to kill tonight and got some WvW shots as I could. Was called away for evening meal shortly after getting into WvW first time and had to sever connection then had to wait ages to get back in to WvW on returning to game.

A spoiler used to cut screen space!

I’ll start with the single centre screen mode;

First a bit busy 1929×1080 with game detecting settings (40 FPS) :

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/gw001.jpg

Next busier – same settings (33 FPS):

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/gw002.jpg

On to the Eyefinity – 6040×1080 – graphics settings not shown as I forgot (there’s non of us perfect!)

Wide Screen first then cut out;

First is a bit busy (37 FPS):

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/WvWEye1.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/WvwEye1cut.jpg[

Second is much more busy (30 FPS):

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/wvweye2.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/wvweye2cut.jpg

Third is very busy (22 FPS):

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/wvweye3.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/wvweye3cut.jpg

Last one now and quite busy – lowest FPS (20 FPS) and that is as low as the rig has been:

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/wvweye4.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/STOLibrary/GW2/WvW/WvwEye4cut.jpg

So yeah! In eyefinity mode at a quite busy time in game, I dropped to my lowest seen FPS of 20 FPS. In single screen mode I dropped to a minimum of 30 FPS (33 shown). The FPS goes up and down as I have demonstrated but it is not so bad as to make the game unplayable as some have suggested.

Of course, if I lower the graphics settings the FPS goes up. No pictures – I’ve done enough already.

The images do not give a good representation of how smooth GW2 was running though – even at the lowest 20 FPS the game was still a good ’un.

So, I have a rig that is about 2+ years old running GW2 quite well enough to be playable with no major problems (I sorted my sound – just need full eyefinity support now). The game looks gorgeous on the high settings as is and I get to enjoy a game that has sparked my interest like no other for about four years. Not bad going.

The AMD / Intel argument will, as I think I noted earlier, go on as long as those two companies are the competitive options. As will the ATI / Nvidia argument. Similar arguments about computing technology have raged for decades. Markets change along with the technology and people (in general) either go with the flow or go with brands they trust.

The title of this thread is ‘AMD CPUs and Guild Wars 2’. For the main part the discussion has shown how users of one brand just want to trash users of another (in both directions). I stated what I use and tried to inject some reason. What I got in return was called untrustworthy and an inference that I and others were deluded. The images linked show my system giving acceptable to very good FPS in game depending on how I choose to play. I’ll stick with the eyefinity for now. I had considered upgrading the graphics card but the cost is out of my reach for now. Still, no sour grapes here!

Edit: Too tired to look through the other posts to see if I did show a screen shot with 60 or so FPS in such as a city or quite area but it does happen.

Adam Chattaway.6418

Well 20 fps is not bad but that is a small keep siege, ive been in 150 man batttles at the eternity keep, also you’re processor scores 6100 ish compaired to the older phenoms with 4000, so you are 50% faster.

Also you know AMD have given up on desktop processors? i read they cant be bothered with trying to complete so they are going 100% mobile laptops now, no more gaming processors.

UKNightWatch.5742

Hello again,

I’ve been trying to get back to this all day! Events have conspired against me though. I have a short break time now.

Well 20 fps is not bad but that is a small keep siege, ive been in 150 man batttles at the eternity keep, also you’re processor scores 6100 ish compaired to the older phenoms with 4000, so you are 50% faster.

I have to say, in all honesty, I am not an unsocial gamer but I’m not really one for ‘raiding’ or other events with lots of characters. Well that was true, at least, before this game! I find the ‘mechanics’ of GW2 ease the player into cooperation much better than some other games I have played. It is good to know that even though my current (main) rig is old that it can still play a modern game at a good enough level with fair graphics settings. Yes! Over clocking the CPU helps some – it was designed for that. If I want a faster FPS, I do not mind turning the graphic settings down a bit to help my rig out.

Also you know AMD have given up on desktop processors? i read they cant be bothered with trying to complete so they are going 100% mobile laptops now, no more gaming processors.

No, I had not read or heard that AMD had given up on desktop processors – if you could mail me a link for a report about it I’d be interested to read it.

In fairness, processor manufactures and other technology manufacturers change direction many times. Some years past, it is said, AMD would reverse engineer Intel gear then sell similar stock at lower prices. Later, AMD surged ahead with their own designs. Currently, I am told, Intel is leading again. Who knows what either AMD or Intel truly have lined up apart from themselves? We shall have to wait and see.

There are many factors to getting a general use and balanced PC that is also good enough for modern gaming – not just the CPU. For many of us, a compromise must be reached between speed, quality, availability and price (often the most important aspect to the buyer). I would have loved to put a nicer sound device in my rig but went with on board audio due to pricing at time of build for example.

Both AMD and Intel components can run GW2 (a game still in its infancy with associated teething troubles) – admittedly some better than others. I just think it is unfair that some people use ‘blanket’ language or heavily biased ‘I am right and you are wrong’ arguments on either side of the debate. That’s life though!

Happy gaming all. Don’t worry if you do not have ‘the best’ or a high end rig – GW2 is playable at lower settings if need be. I had to suffice with very low end systems myself for many years (I aint’nt rich) so I understand how much the want for a better PC can pull!

Posted by: Kman.7358

Kman.7358

Well almost all of the FX processors are Black Edition with unlocked multiplier… So why bother buying one if you are not going to overclock it^_^ when you O/C they perform quite well for what they worth tho

I also mention this game almost unplayable on Phenom II’s.

No it’s not… I’ve got AMD Phenom II x6 1055T which is not overclocked.
I get around 50-60 FPS all the time with almost everything maxed at 1920×1200 resolution.
EDIT:
50-60 FPS in PvE
30 FPS minimum in w3

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
nVidia GTX 550Ti
8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz

Older Phenom II’s

I run a Phenom II X4 965 BE. Not overclocked. The worst I’ve run into is in WvW, dropping to 30. Which is still completely playable in my books. The rest of the time I sit at 60 (VSync capped).

Appeased -Team Riot [RIOT] – Blackgate
teamriot.org
twitch.tv/teamriottv

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

Well I fixed my AMD FX CPU problem, I have a FX 8120 running @ 4GHZ and I have a 560 ti running @870, 2100 and 16GB of ram, 500GB and 1TB hard drives and 550watt XFX True Watt Power Supply.

Running those settings I’m getting 30fps+ in a large event group and 45+FPS in the city and 60+ FPS out in the world. Right now I am running it on my 1600×900 Monitor but I am going to hook it back up to my 55’ LED HDTV when I get home. I will update this post with the 1920X1080 Rez FPS.

P.S. I don’t do PVP!

Adam Chattaway.6418

Hello again,

I’ve been trying to get back to this all day! Events have conspired against me though. I have a short break time now.

I have to say, in all honesty, I am not an unsocial gamer but I’m not really one for ‘raiding’ or other events with lots of characters. Well that was true, at least, before this game! I find the ‘mechanics’ of GW2 ease the player into cooperation much better than some other games I have played. It is good to know that even though my current (main) rig is old that it can still play a modern game at a good enough level with fair graphics settings. Yes! Over clocking the CPU helps some – it was designed for that. If I want a faster FPS, I do not mind turning the graphic settings down a bit to help my rig out.

No, I had not read or heard that AMD had given up on desktop processors – if you could mail me a link for a report about it I’d be interested to read it.

In fairness, processor manufactures and other technology manufacturers change direction many times. Some years past, it is said, AMD would reverse engineer Intel gear then sell similar stock at lower prices. Later, AMD surged ahead with their own designs. Currently, I am told, Intel is leading again. Who knows what either AMD or Intel truly have lined up apart from themselves? We shall have to wait and see.

There are many factors to getting a general use and balanced PC that is also good enough for modern gaming – not just the CPU. For many of us, a compromise must be reached between speed, quality, availability and price (often the most important aspect to the buyer). I would have loved to put a nicer sound device in my rig but went with on board audio due to pricing at time of build for example.

Both AMD and Intel components can run GW2 (a game still in its infancy with associated teething troubles) – admittedly some better than others. I just think it is unfair that some people use ‘blanket’ language or heavily biased ‘I am right and you are wrong’ arguments on either side of the debate. That’s life though!

Happy gaming all. Don’t worry if you do not have ‘the best’ or a high end rig – GW2 is playable at lower settings if need be. I had to suffice with very low end systems myself for many years (I aint’nt rich) so I understand how much the want for a better PC can pull!

http://www.techpowerup.com/155920/AMD-To-Give-Up-Competing-With-Intel-On-x86-CPU-Prices-Already-Shooting-Up.html

Posted by: Rshipley.8194

Rshipley.8194

Im so happy I never bought a cheap crap AMD CPU and or a ATi Video card. Nvidia and intel all the way. You cant go wrong with the best.

i7-980X 3.33GHZ Extreme, Nvidia GTX 680 1.5 G, 12 GB RAM, FPS 105

Posted by: Rshipley.8194

Rshipley.8194

Well I fixed my AMD FX CPU problem, I have a FX 8120 running @ 4GHZ and I have a 560 ti running @870, 2100 and 16GB of ram, 500GB and 1TB hard drives and 550watt XFX True Watt Power Supply.

Running those settings I’m getting 30fps+ in a large event group and 45+FPS in the city and 60+ FPS out in the world. Right now I am running it on my 1600×900 Monitor but I am going to hook it back up to my 55’ LED HDTV when I get home. I will update this post with the 1920X1080 Rez FPS.

P.S. I don’t do PVP!

Please let us know how that works out.

i7-980X 3.33GHZ Extreme, Nvidia GTX 680 1.5 G, 12 GB RAM, FPS 105

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

all the people with phenoms II running the wvwvw at 30-60 fps with people around can post any screenshot?

I retired my AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880GM-E41 Socket AM3 and upgraded
to Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor/MSI Z77A-G45 and it has made a huge difference. I use my same video card, the AMD 6850 and I get rock solid FPS.

And yes, in very heavy fights on highest settings (not ultra shadows or supersampling) I do drop down in the 20-30 FPS ranges.

Teknobug.3782

No screenshot during WvW (kinda hard to do that while focusing on the fight) but I do have a video recording since I left the recording going without realizing it (hence I didn’t even notice a drop in performance).

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz, 4GB DDR2, GTX560Ti gfx @ 1920×1080 windowed, all settings max except for post-processing and reflections (with depth blur turned off), fraps recording at 29.97 fps (which is why you’ll see slight fps skips).

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Teknobug.3782

That column looks poorly written, AMD actually gave up shares to another company (Globalfoundries), I don’t think they particularly gave up on the CPU market.

The FX series was a bomb, but this isn’t the first time AMD has bombed, they did it before and made a comeback (the MP series, the original Phenom series). You know if Intel has no competition, they’ll jack up prices, an i5 3570P right now is $180, without competition they can very well pusht that to $400 if they want.

Win 8 Pro 64bit

Adam Chattaway.6418

That column looks poorly written, AMD actually gave up shares to another company (Globalfoundries), I don’t think they particularly gave up on the CPU market.

The FX series was a bomb, but this isn’t the first time AMD has bombed, they did it before and made a comeback (the MP series, the original Phenom series). You know if Intel has no competition, they’ll jack up prices, an i5 3570P right now is $180, without competition they can very well push that to $400 if they want.

Well they got what they deserve, AMD take the pi these days…. let me give an example.

Ok so lord of the rings war int he north, i preorded this game looked so forward to it, AMD cards had a game breaking bug that reduced your FPS to 0-3 making the game unplayable, this was an issue with their driver and not the game dev team, the dev team told AMD urgently fromt he start, and 8 month YES F EIGHT MONTHS LATER A FIX… so why in gods name did it take AMD 8 month to bekittento and respond and fix a dam issue that was their fault from laziness? so i had a CE LOTR WITN box sat on my shelf for 8 month wishing i could play it…. and this was not a CPU so i can imagine how poor their last gen of CPU were compared to intel when this is how much their care, also don’t even get me started on age of conan, yay 20% GPU usage yay.

I used to love AMD and ATI but i dont know lately ive just been put off so much by them its no wonder they are giving up, they just never really invested into it like intel i suppose and now they are going mobile…

(edited by Adam Chattaway.6418)

Posted by: Eddy Stylez.3259

Eddy Stylez.3259

50-80 FPS outdoors
30-40 FPS in major cities
20-30 FPS in 3wv

All settings maxed out except reflections which is on the second option. Running the game in Windowed Mode at a custom resolution (1860×920).

AMD has not had an official driver release since before GW2 launched (12.8), so expect some nice performance gains when 12.9 comes out of beta.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T X6 3.8gHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB
PS: Corsair 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2GB DDR3 1600 x4=8GB Total System RAM
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

(edited by Eddy Stylez.3259)

Posted by: Madmardagan.7945

Madmardagan.7945

what it mentions is the Bulldozer seems to have the power, but it gets bottlenecked in GW2 so it cant be utilized efficiently. So it is more of a design flaw than anything else

Posted by: SocksKeepYouWarm.6427

SocksKeepYouWarm.6427

Pretty sad…..outside of WvW i get great FPS.

WvW is unplayable for me though — even with my 1100T OCed to 4.2ghz. It’s entirely CPU bound due to everytrhing going on -- I get the same FPS on max settings as I do on lowest settings during WvW. An unplayable 20 FPS.

Sadly, as many others have said, this is the only game I have problems with.

Attachments:

SocksKeepYouWarm.6427

Couple More during fights …. really sucks:

Attachments:

SocksKeepYouWarm.6427

Lowest settings…same FPS as highest:

Attachments:

SocksKeepYouWarm.6427

I’ve spent a number of hours on this … Keep in mind again that my CPU is OCed to 4.2ghz, the absolute limit for a phenom 2 basically.

Basically during wvw my cpu is causing such a huge bottleneck that my gpus are running as low as 20% usage.

Teknobug.3782

what it mentions is the Bulldozer seems to have the power, but it gets bottlenecked in GW2 so it cant be utilized efficiently. So it is more of a design flaw than anything else

Have you looked up about disabling core parking? That could help.

Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: Bobbi.6801

Bobbi.6801

“From personal experience, I wouldn’t even bother playing with a Phenom II unless you like playing at sub ~30 fps with overclocking. WvW? That’s a whole different story…”

My Phenom 2 X4 965 keeps a steady 60Fps and never below 30-40 in WvW……..
So yeah.. I would bother playing with a Phenom 2.

ALSO Phenom is better then bulldozer performance per clock. Everyone with a brain knows that. They run games better. The right term would rather be “i Wouldnt even bother with a Bulldozer FX CPU”

Tho i am really looking forward to Piledriver next month hopefully

AMD FX-8350 @5Ghz |Radeon HD 7970GHZedition|16gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram|OCZ agility 3 120gb|Gigabyte UD3

Adam Chattaway.6418

“From personal experience, I wouldn’t even bother playing with a Phenom II unless you like playing at sub ~30 fps with overclocking. WvW? That’s a whole different story…”

My Phenom 2 X4 965 keeps a steady 60Fps and never below 30-40 in WvW……..
So yeah.. I would bother playing with a Phenom 2.

ALSO Phenom is better then bulldozer performance per clock. Everyone with a brain knows that. They run games better. The right term would rather be “i Wouldnt even bother with a Bulldozer FX CPU”

Tho i am really looking forward to Piledriver next month hopefully

So why does everyone in game say they get as bad fps as me? you using SLI GTX 690 or what? please post screens of you’re 30-40 fps in a siege battle thanks, or its bull.

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

Sorry it took a few days to get back. I am getting the same fps, huge crowds I get around 30fps. 40+fps in the city and out in the open I am getting 60+FPS even running @1920x1080.

I honestly think I could get more FPS with a better graphics card, the 560TI is a great card but the GTX 660, 670, and 680 run circles around it not to mention those cards have a minium of 2gb video ram.

P.S. I run vsync because I hate screen tearing, idk how much higher it would go over 60fps with vsync off.