Frequent crashing from "corrupted files"

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Anorian.9456

Anorian.9456

Same problem here
Crash <—*
Assertion: A file was corrupted in the archive. Please run once with ‘-repair’!
File: ..\..\..\Game\Main\MainCli.cpp(572)

Ran memtest with no errors found

i7 3930k
Geforce GTX 680
16Gb Ram
Intel 520 ssd

Running the game from ssd.

Posted by: Clarty.9864

Clarty.9864

I have all these problems as well.

Only thing different is that my hardware is AMD/ATI

In all my years I have never seen a game fitness test a pc so hard that it breaks hardware. Because that is what I see happening.

Anorian.9456

This is getting silly i have repaired prob about 50 times now, it never even downloads anything. Checked that all my drivers are up to date and tried even running it full screen/windowed and on different settings. It crashes eveytime sooner or later.

Memtest was error free and anyway all my hardware is brand new.

Posted by: Womp.8752

Womp.8752

I’m glad some people are getting fixes, but for the rest of us who have no errors in our Memtest, what are we supposed to do?

Posted by: Rhythmless Ninja.7568

Rhythmless Ninja.7568

I have been getting these corrupt crash errors ever since the patch about 4 or so days ago. I viewed through this thread so find the fix, did a memory test and sure enough one my sticks gave me…402 errors. The very weird part about this is, I didn’t have a problem with guild wars at all until that patch, and is to this day the only game that crashes on me even though I supposedly have a faulty stick. And I have around 50ish (ridiculous steam user) games installed so I’m kind of confused how suddenly a single game pops up and suddenly my memory is faulty. Anyways, currently reinstalling Guild Wars 2 and will get back to you on whether or not removing that ram fixed the problem.

Posted by: Arran Pellaeon.8437

Arran Pellaeon.8437

Paul,

I’ve run memtest before several times and havent gotten any errors. Also ran sfc in command prompt just in case, that didn’t return anything either. One thing that came to mind though, could this be an issue with Solid State Drives and/or higher clocked RAM? The RAM I have is 1600, but the mainboard will try and run it at 1333 by default, forcing me to manually force it to 1600 and set the voltage to 1.5 in order for it to work properly. (Would bluescreen all the time without the voltage being set). Could GW2 be reacting badly to this?

Womp.8752

Arran are you getting the “corrupted files” crash message?

Posted by: Arran Pellaeon.8437

Arran Pellaeon.8437

Yeah, same one. the maincli.cpp crash.

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

Just crashed from it actually and Anet replied to my thread and left me to dry.. I played beta fine since BWE1 then at launch I get an insane amount of errors it’s not hardware based because I didn’t change any of my hardware.

Womp.8752

Horrible customer service

Posted by: Belryn.1456

Belryn.1456

One thing that came to mind though, could this be an issue with Solid State Drives and/or higher clocked RAM?

Sure, bad RAM timings can lead to errors. It’s even possible to have a RAM slice which is just incompatible with the motherboard (that’s why there are QVL lists). I wouldn’t rule out errors due to over clocked hardware, too. Maybe try to disable something like the XMP in the BIOS, if it is active. It’s also possible the mainboard/memory controller has a defect, and causes errors.

And why is GW2 more affected by single bit errors? Well, they seem to have all files in a big archive with checksums. Most other games don’t have something like this, so they simply don’t notice single bit errors, and if it’s a single bit error in a texture or sound file, or something like this, you and the engine wouldn’t even notice it. But if it’s per chance in an important area, the game will crash with a random error. And maybe GW2 is using more RAM than other games, so the other games may never try to load data to a corrupt area (if it’s somewhere near the end).

(edited by Belryn.1456)

Posted by: Zirats.2085

Zirats.2085

same error here, but i have Radeon hd 6850

Posted by: Azerox.4792

Azerox.4792

I not have read much posts in this topic, takes too long.

But i hope you guys did add the -repair command to your shortcut to repair the client?

If not, it actualy says so in the error u get xD

it would be something like “x:/games/guildwars2/gw2.exe” -repair

Posted by: Stamen.9240

Stamen.9240

There are thousands of people crashing (myself among them) but we keep playing because we’re having a ton of fun despite the headaches. But there will reach a point when it’s just not fun anymore. For example, I can’t finish my level 60 story mission without a crash.

Like so many have said, the problem isn’t on our end. We can run as many repairs or exams as anyone would like, but that is only going to apply to a small fraction of the players having problems. Most of us have decent quad-core or higher rigs, plenty of memory, and what is considered by most to be top of the line video cards. There’s no reason for us to be experiencing these kinds of issues short of some bad code.

Until that bad code is repaired, we’re all just sort of in limbo. Enjoying what we can, when we can – because this truly is an amazing game.

Posted by: MrTicalian.7138

MrTicalian.7138

I can’t even get the client to start! As soon as I try to launch Gw2.exe it instantly crashes showing me the exact report others have been posting. Not even the -repair runs as it also instantly crashes. The issue is with the client, and not with the computers :/

Edit: Also, this seem to happen straight after my last update I got when I started the client and not been able to start it up successfully since. I did send the report too.

Posted by: UVTC.4072

UVTC.4072

Turned off the memory X.M.P. profile in bios and AUTO DRAM frequency ON,
24h no crashes.
(X.M.P on before and DRAM locked at 1600MHz).

Posted by: Fenrir.4915

Fenrir.4915

Hi guys.

I had this problem, i use to crash like every 30 mim of game.

Actually the problem is fixed for me, here is what i did:

Did a full format using a program that completely erases my hd. changed for a 64bit system.

Really simple, but worked for me…

Posted by: MrTicalian.7138

MrTicalian.7138

I found out that Guild Wars 2 does not work correctly with Windows 7 x32 .

Simply right click the Gw2.exe and choose Properties. Go to Compatibility and then choose Windows XP Service Pack 3 in “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.

This worked out for me, hope it works for you guys.

(edited by MrTicalian.7138)

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Hi guys.

Did a full format using a program that completely erases my hd. changed for a 64bit system.

For the record, no point in a program that “completely erases my hd.” A simple quick format would be sufficient.

Womp.8752

I found out that Guild Wars 2 does not work correctly with Windows 7 x32 .

Simply right click the Gw2.exe and choose Properties. Go to Compatibility and then choose Windows XP Service Pack 3 in “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.

This worked out for me, hope it works for you guys.

Well I tried this for Windows 7 x64, and my game froze within 2 minutes and disappeared from my computer. The music kept playing but the program was no where to be seen on my processes. And when I tried to relaunch, nothing happened.

Posted by: PaniK.9482

PaniK.9482

24h no crashes.

This worked for me also.

Womp.8752

Panik/UVTC how do you go about doing that?

Posted by: Malishan.7502

Malishan.7502

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/possible-fix-constant-corrupt-file-errors-crashes/first#post93567

Also try this. Read how to check if you have rste drivers installed wrong in my 2nd post.

Womp.8752

Too complicated for my blood. I guess I’m just shelfing the game until it gets fixed, which could be never. Thanks a lot Anet!

PaniK.9482

Too complicated for my blood. I guess I’m just shelfing the game until it gets fixed, which could be never. Thanks a lot Anet!

You would need to access your system BIOS information. Usually tab DEL when booting up. Then it will be under advanced settings, or Memory settings, Voltage settings, something along those lines. You will need the exact settings for your RAM. They should be on the sticks, if not, Google the model number and brand. Since I changed mine, over 3 days ago, i have had one lockup. And it was the lockup with sound playing, closed with CTRL+ALT+DEL taskman. If anyone needs help, just privet message me. Im pretty good with this stuff. Also, please have your system specs handy. CPU/RAM/Mother Board/HDDGPU/ect. Make and model should be good.

Posted by: Belryn.1456

Belryn.1456

Hi guys.

For the record, no point in a program that “completely erases my hd.” A simple quick format would be sufficient.

Well, there is the slight possibility, that in this case the hard drive had some bad sectors (it happens), and the drive firmware detected and reallocated them during the full format process. Would be interesting, if the SMART data of the drive confirms it.

PaniK.9482

Hi guys.

Well, there is the slight possibility, that in this case the hard drive had some bad sectors (it happens), and the drive firmware detected and reallocated them during the full format process. Would be interesting, if the SMART data of the drive confirms it.

You are correct. Id put money on it.

Posted by: Pyre.6793

Pyre.6793

Is there a fix for this yet? One that the community has had the most luck with?
I’ve had this issue since launch, with a support ticket and such.

Anorian.9456

Well it went good for about a week, crashing on pretty much every time i zone now.
Tested the new nvidia drivers, checked my memory clocks from bios (they were on auto), currently doing a full reinstall (AGAIN) and this time putting the game to my hd instead of my ssd to see if there is a difference there.

Please fix this corrupted file crash.

Posted by: Bakau.3849

Bakau.3849

Getting the same problem as – it once was once every few hours and a reboot fixed it for a few hours. Now as soon as I select a character it does it even after fixing the issue.

Runnig Nvidia 560, 16gb ram, i73770

Posted by: Rado.4396

Rado.4396

Today i installed guild wars 2 (didn’t log in, didn’t play game) and closed client. After restarting system i run client and got info that last time I played, game crashed and it must be repaired… And yes, there were corrupted files and game download some files again… I thought formating my pc will help but it seems it will be even worse…

Anorian.9456

So the full reinstall to the hd did not help, still crashing from the same error. Also tried the new nvidia drivers. Tbh i´m out of things to try and starting to regret spending money on this beta test.

Womp.8752

It’s absolutely disgusting that they don’t acknowledge that the problem is on their end, offer any kind of actual help (repair, reinstall, memtest, etc all have failed to work for the majority) and will also refuse to give a refund. I’m tempted to get in touch with my bank and ask that they credit me back, but I’m guessing the timing to do that has expired. What an absolute mess. Way to trick people into buying with the illusion of good customer service! I’ll never buy another Arenanet product again.

Posted by: pitchShifter.5892

pitchShifter.5892

Bump because this issue is too important for the developers to ignore.

I’m running a GeForce GTX 550 TI, AMD Phenom II x2 555, 32-bit, 8gigs of ram (need to upgrade my OS to 64bit so in reality im using 3gigs) system.

Anet, you know too well that this is not a problem with our hardware. I’m a programmer as well and I know that this is a software issue at hand. No other game that I own (which I have 10-20 games installed) crash nor do they have poor performance. I can run games like Starcraft 2 (high settings), CS:GO (highest settings), Metro 2033 (high settings), Red Orchestra 2 (high settings), and more without any problems. While this could be an issue with RAM, it would be based upon the coding of the software and how it interacts by sending and receiving the volatile data to the RAM. I recently just bought my system around Thanksgiving so these parts are new.

I’ve done everything possible on my end to fix the issue:

1.) Changed resolution from windowed full screen (1920×1080) to a native resolution (1360×768) as well as lowered graphic settings to “Best Performance”

2.) Updated graphics card to beta drivers. (306.02)

3.) Repeat #1.

4.) Updated graphics card to new release drivers. (306.23)

5.) Took a look around in my Nvidia Control Panel and increased FPS by 10-20 frames by setting Ambient Occlusion from “Off” to “Performance”.

6.) Repeat #1.

While this list is more along the graphical side of fixing, I have reason to believe this issue has something to do with how the game handles the GPU. My reasons are:

1.) When I’ve taken a look at errors I’ve noticed information about my UI not displaying textures (which is actually interesting because there are quite a few times I’ve opened up my Contacts list in-game and have had a cyan background color on the list seconds before I crashed)

2.) Before I crashed in one situation, I noticed that while I was in the Norn capital city “Hoelbrak” the crafting tables for the leatherworker had been pushed from the original spot (which is up against the cylindrical posts that hold up the tent) closer towards the Master Leatherworker vendor. And not just a slight move either; the crafting tables were almost touching the vendor.

3.) I’ve had 2 or 3 occasions, out of the 100 or so hours I’ve played, where the pets will be a solid color (yellow or cyan I believe) right before I crashed.

(edited by pitchShifter.5892)

Posted by: TehJodyD.8105

TehJodyD.8105

I am getting the same problem. My 560 ti EVGA video card keeps doing the same thing. I also got 16 gb of ram. Yeah this bug is very annoying.

Posted by: Karpalo.5148

Karpalo.5148

I’ll join the club.

Got few occasional crashed first time maybe few days ago, anyways not a big problem back then. For some reason they have now picked up the pace and are becoming more and more frequent to the point where it’s struggle to get even one piece of personal story line quest completed. There is something wrong and that something keeps piling, or something was changed since the frequency of this happening went up very dramatically.

Memtest clean. Card HD 6950 2gb, i5 2500k, Game on SSD system disk running 64bit W7.

I’m not sure if i read this correctly, but it seems like that for some people the game crashes the whole system and for some people only the game crashes? For me the whole system crashes and i have both: GW2 and operating system on the same hard drive. If there are those for whom only the game crashes… Do you have OS and GW2 on separate hard drives?

Posted by: Searias.9601

Searias.9601

Bump because this issue is too important for the developers to ignore.

I’m running a GeForce GTX 550 TI, AMD Phenom II x2 555, 32-bit, 8gigs of ram (need to upgrade my OS to 64bit so in reality im using 3gigs) system.

Anet, you know too well that this is not a problem with our hardware. I’m a programmer as well and I know that this is a software issue at hand. No other game that I own (which I have 10-20 games installed) crash nor do they have poor performance. I can run games like Starcraft 2 (high settings), CS:GO (highest settings), Metro 2033 (high settings), Red Orchestra 2 (high settings), and more without any problems. While this could be an issue with RAM, it would be based upon the coding of the software and how it interacts by sending and receiving the volatile data to the RAM. I recently just bought my system around Thanksgiving so these parts are new.

I’ve done everything possible on my end to fix the issue:

1.) Changed resolution from windowed full screen (1920×1080) to a native resolution (1360×768) as well as lowered graphic settings to “Best Performance”

2.) Updated graphics card to beta drivers. (306.02)

3.) Repeat #1.

4.) Updated graphics card to new release drivers. (306.23)

5.) Took a look around in my Nvidia Control Panel and increased FPS by 10-20 frames by setting Ambient Occlusion from “Off” to “Performance”.

6.) Repeat #1.

While this list is more along the graphical side of fixing, I have reason to believe this issue has something to do with how the game handles the GPU. My reasons are:

1.) When I’ve taken a look at errors I’ve noticed information about my UI not displaying textures (which is actually interesting because there are quite a few times I’ve opened up my Contacts list in-game and have had a cyan background color on the list seconds before I crashed)

2.) Before I crashed in one situation, I noticed that while I was in the Norn capital city “Hoelbrak” the crafting tables for the leatherworker had been pushed from the original spot (which is up against the cylindrical posts that hold up the tent) closer towards the Master Leatherworker vendor. And not just a slight move either; the crafting tables were almost touching the vendor.

3.) I’ve had 2 or 3 occasions, out of the 100 or so hours I’ve played, where the pets will be a solid color (yellow or cyan I believe) right before I crashed.

My friend was having the same issue and I told him to lower his system ram clock speeds by 50mhz and his problem went away. Maybe this might work for you, I really hate how GW2 engine utilizes ram, oh well :P.

Posted by: iMoLaTe.2354

iMoLaTe.2354

same error =\ zz

running a gtx560ti, intel 3570 3.4ghz processor , 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram, latest graphics driver. OCZ agility 4 sata III 128gb ssd drive.

I went all out and reinstalled windows to try fix this, i purchased my system 4 days ago, i HIGHLY. doubt its faulty hardware.

Posted by: Reoddry.9804

Reoddry.9804

24h no crashes.

This also worked for me.
Only this game has a problem with it, so I guess it just doesn’t like you to overclock your ram at all.

Posted by: Lanvall.9157

Lanvall.9157

[Copied from another thread]

For those who are encountering this issue, here’s what would be super helpful:

Run a memory diagnostic such as MemTest86 (make sure it’s thorough; some memory-errors are fleeting and require sustained use or special conditions).

If the memory diagnostic shows errors, post here saying so! After that, I suggest contacting your manufacturer. = )

If no errors are found, then please open the “Guild Wars 2” folder inside of your Documents folder. You should see one or many files with names similar to “Corrupt-ab48d7ad.dat”. Attach some of those to a post here; if you have many, just pick a few. Also, please attach the file “CorruptArchive.log”, which will be in that same folder.

There’s a good chance that there’ll be too many responses for me to personally examine all of the files, so I apologize in advance if I don’t personally respond to your post. = (

Also, I have no reason to believe this problem would be related to graphics cards/drivers.

If it really is a hardware problem, why is the hardware working for EVERY other game and EVERY other application EVER created?

Calling this a hardware problem is lame!
Man up, admit that somebody screwed up a few lines of code, find it, fix it and patch it!

<3

Posted by: Zab.4572

Zab.4572

Same exact issue here. i’ll explain everything i’ve tried so far. starting with system specs.
i7-920 c0
12gb kingston hyper-x memory
multiple hard drives AND ssd’s to try.
evga gtx 580 3gb
evga x58 e579 classified mobo

This is what i’ve tried, only the last option worked.

*ran memtest – no errors
*swapped memory with 3 different sets from 1-6 sticks of memory. had issues with 1 stick,2,3,4,5, and 6.
*ran memtest on 2nd/3rd pairs of memory – no errors
*loosened memory timings on all 3 sets of memory
*installed on 2 SSD’s and 3 HDD’s
*underclocked my 920 and video card to defaults
*reinstalled the game/ran repair on all ssd’s and hdd’s
*swapped my gtx 580 with a gtx 560 ti 448
*swapped the 560 ti 448 with a gtx 295
*swapped gtx 295 for old gtx 275
*updated drivers for video cards
*downgraded drivers for video cards
*reinstalled windows for kicks at which i updated drivers and only installed gw2 to see if i got issues.

And last but not least the way i fixed this was by swapping my computer with my wifes computer when she was at school.

Posted by: jpsimonetti.5786

jpsimonetti.5786

Mainboard: MSI MS-7758 (H77)
CPU: Intel i5-2500 3.3ghz (4 cores)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 x2 (16GB total)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2048mb
Display Driver: 9.18.13.479
Main Drive (GW2 Installed): A-Data USA 120GB SATAIII Sandforce 6.0gb SSD
Secondary Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB
*Virtual Memory Disabled
*RAM settings all AUTO/Default
*All Temp directories set to secondary drive
*Installed to non-default directory (some games are weird about that)

This started happening to me yesterday. I know my computer inside and out. Literally. I built it a few months ago. I am not going to start messing with drivers and settings that might jeopardize other ‘picky’ games I play.

Somewhere on the path to this version, ArenaNet changed something that is now causing this. While a small percentage of us may have hardware faults, that doesn’t mean ArenaNet hasn’t goofed. All evidence points straight to a change they made.

Regardless, the people with the “Corrupted File” issue (like myself) probably make up less than 2% of the player base so I doubt we’re high on their priority list. We’ll have to use workarounds until they rollback whatever they changed. Fortunately, it sounds like most of us are on high end systems which means we are probably familiar with how to make those changes.

(edited by jpsimonetti.5786)

Posted by: Mraz.3057

Mraz.3057

24h no crashes.

Not only that it worked for me, but I actually am playing with higher FPS than before…

Womp.8752

24h no crashes.

Not only that it worked for me, but I actually am playing with higher FPS than before…

I think we need some detailed write up on how to do this. I have a feeling I’m not the only one that is completely confused by it.

Posted by: korhall.8603

korhall.8603

I have also been experiencing regular crashes since I started playing GW2.
I raised a support ticket and after running a number of tests and submitting countless logs, test results, etc. I was eventually asked to change my graphics card settings from best quality to best performance.

Since I have done this, the crashes seemed to disappear (for a while). However, now I have ramped up the time I am spending playing this game, the crashes have started happening again, not every 30 minutes as previous but at least once an hour after the first crash. I seem to be able to play for 2 – 3 hours initially, but once it crashes the first time it seems to crash every hour or so after that. Every time after a crash, I am rebooting my PC and then running the repair tool before starting it up again.

I have also started seeing weird things in game such as character names appearing as [null] . . . . just before a crash and I am seeing the same “corrupt file” error messages in the crash logs. Today I was in Lions Arch when I started seeing this and when I tried to teleport to a different zone, the game crashed.

My PC specs are:
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
Core i7-2600K
Gigabyte GTX570 (SOC) x 2 (SLI)
8GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
240GB OCZ RevoDrive3 PCIe SSD

I have attached the CorruptArchive.log and several Corrupt-xxxxxxxx.dat files (renamed to *.txt) for your reference.

Posted by: Karpalo.5148

Karpalo.5148

Same exact issue here. i’ll explain everything i’ve tried so far. starting with system specs.
i7-920 c0
12gb kingston hyper-x memory
multiple hard drives AND ssd’s to try.
evga gtx 580 3gb
evga x58 e579 classified mobo

This is what i’ve tried, only the last option worked.

*ran memtest – no errors
*swapped memory with 3 different sets from 1-6 sticks of memory. had issues with 1 stick,2,3,4,5, and 6.
*ran memtest on 2nd/3rd pairs of memory – no errors
*loosened memory timings on all 3 sets of memory
*installed on 2 SSD’s and 3 HDD’s
*underclocked my 920 and video card to defaults
*reinstalled the game/ran repair on all ssd’s and hdd’s
*swapped my gtx 580 with a gtx 560 ti 448
*swapped the 560 ti 448 with a gtx 295
*swapped gtx 295 for old gtx 275
*updated drivers for video cards
*downgraded drivers for video cards
*reinstalled windows for kicks at which i updated drivers and only installed gw2 to see if i got issues.

And last but not least the way i fixed this was by swapping my computer with my wifes computer when she was at school.

Solid fix. Though getting married just to fix GW2 problems feels bit excessive to me.

iMoLaTe.2354

has anyone found a fix on this yet? … =\

Posted by: Rado.4396

Rado.4396

Fix? There will be propably one like: buy new pc … I’m not enjoying this game right now, when I’m playing, I’m just waiting when game crash again…..Its like sitting on bomb and waiting for explosion

iMoLaTe.2354

tried that.. didn’t work

Posted by: korhall.8603

korhall.8603

After reading and posting in this thread, I tried disabling XMP and setting DRAM frequency to Auto and it seems to have fixed the issue for me, I didn’t get a crash all afternoon.

Thanks UTVC.4072 :O)