Frequent crashing from "corrupted files"

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Womp.8752

Womp.8752

I seem to suffer from frequent crashing (10+ times a day, sometimes with upwards of 10 in an hour). They seem to come out of no where, and have happened when I’m all alone in the middle of a zone, or in a populated area, or towards the end of an event. I’ve reinstalled the game 3 times (currently waiting on my 4th attempt to finish downloading). I’ve repaired over 6 or 7 times and I’ve submit countless different tickets. My game has permission to pass through my firewall, and I don’t have any intense settings there anyway. Also, I’m directly plugged in via ethernet cable and don’t have any oddities about my ISP. I’ve tried dumbing down my graphics for fear of that being some aspect, but it doesn’t seem to be a factor.

I’m on Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB of ram and have a GeForce 570. No idea what could be causing it, but it makes playing the game almost impossible as I’m frequently being booted and then sent to overflows where I can’t join my friends, or finish most events. I love the game and just want to be able to stay online long enough to enjoy it.

Posted by: Yshaar.4921

Yshaar.4921

Please update your graphics driver AND your network card driver.

Please try to shut down your antivir and firewall completely and see if the error persists. I have seen so many firewalls just failing.

German rp/pvx guild on Drakkar’s Lake
Join us : seelenverbunden.com

Womp.8752

Can corrupted files be from graphics driver?

Posted by: Yshaar.4921

Yshaar.4921

Sorry, I did not know anything about corrupted files. Where did you say that? Please update drivers, it is always (!) a good advice.

German rp/pvx guild on Drakkar’s Lake
Join us : seelenverbunden.com

Womp.8752

The title of the thread. I’m attaching my DxDiag and a Corrupted File crash

Attachments:

Womp.8752

And the crash log

Attachments:

Posted by: Nickah.5186

Nickah.5186

I have the exact same problem and the exact same video card. GeForce GTX 570 card, updated to the latest 306.02 beta drivers.

Regularly crashing over and over and over and over for no reason at all.

Maddening how much this happens, and yet I keep playing because the game is great. I’ve given up playing for extended periods of time because it just won’t stay running.

Have actually had my system blue screen on me mid-game and memory-dump/reboot as well. Not sure if related.

Posted by: dave.5913

dave.5913

A corrupted file issue ..I do not think would be related to the GPU. This has to be a hard drive or Network issue. Try installing it on a different HD if possible.

Nickah.5186

The game shows no signs of issues at all prior to crashing. The game executable dies immediately and you have the “submit crash ticket” window in your face.

I must have submit a thousand tickets with “WASD” in the notes because I was still moving around while the game crashed all of a sudden.

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we both have GTX 570 cards and the same issue.

dave.5913

There are also 1000s of people with that video card that are not having issues. Your graphics card has no access, and absolutelly no way to corrupt files on your computer.
Also it might not be the same issue Nickah..does your game say it has a corrupted file when it crashes.

(edited by dave.5913)

Womp.8752

It’s very annoying that I’ve seen a lot of people posting this in different forums since these were closed. I’ve emailed, messaged them on reddit, etc and no one will respond to the issue. It seems to be something they’re content ignoring since it’s only a small population suffering.

Nickah.5186

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sat through the “Repair” process just to have it crash again and again and again.

Crash details:

• Crash <—*
    Assertion: A file was corrupted in the archive. Please run once with ‘-repair’!
    File: ..\..\..\Game\Main\MainCli.cpp(510)
    App: Gw2.exe
    Pid: 4644
    Cmdline:
    BaseAddr: 00400000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 15425
    When: 2012-09-05T02:38:48Z 2012-09-04T22:38:48-04:00
    Uptime: 0 days 0:33:39
    Flags: 0

Posted by: onmuumno.2918

onmuumno.2918

I’m having the same exact problem on my gtx 570 card! Constant crashing due to corrupt files. I’ve tried all nvidias current and beta drivers. All the same since launch. Everything was fine prior to launch. I even re-downloaded and re-installed the game to no avail. Please help! My crash details are the same looking as nikahs. It has to be related to the gtx 570. Any chance for a workaround?

Nickah.5186

Would be curious if it IS all GTX 570 card owners.

I have the eVGA model, if that helps/matters.

Posted by: Belryn.1456

Belryn.1456

If a repair isn’t working, this could mean the file system and/or the file is really corrupt? This could very well be caused by a malfunctioning hard drive, RAM, mainboard/SATA-controller, or any driver of this components. Otherwise maybe a clean reinstall could help.

Womp.8752

As I said in the first post, I’ve reinstalled 4 times already. It doesn’t help. It seems there gtx 570 is causing an issue, and it’s not related to drivers. If only ANet could give us an answer and stop ignoring the issue.

Posted by: Stormtooth.1569

Stormtooth.1569

I am having this same issue. I would not think it has anything to do with the graphics card but more to do with the HDD. I have run the file repair every time it comes up but it never fixes any files. I have also run Error Checking on my hard drive just to see if there was a problem with that.

I have also always had the same error messages every time it crashes. Next time it crashes I will post it here but at this point, I have a hard time believing it is anything on my computer itself.

Womp.8752

Well, do you have the same graphics card as us?

Posted by: Lobster Party.3758

Lobster Party.3758

I’m on a GTX 580, but I having the exact same problem from the sound of things.

• Crash <—*
    App: Gw2.exe
    Pid: 5728
    Cmdline:
    BaseAddr: 00400000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 15437
    When: 2012-09-05T12:12:50Z 2012-09-05T05:12:50-07:00
    Uptime: 0 days 0:06:24
    Flags: 0

I want to say it’s a hardware issue but GW2 is the only game that seems to be having this problem. Everything else works fine all the time so I don’t know whats going on.

Posted by: Vaken.1803

Vaken.1803

I have the GTX 570 and I’m having the same issue – game is pretty much unplayable.. I googled it : tried the 3d settings, tried all the drivers suggested, vsync, etc… Can play for a bit (seems to be no time correlation to in game time) — then crash and have to go through the file repair, and well you all know.. So same card – same issue as the rest..??…

Posted by: MrBladder.4598

MrBladder.4598

I’m currently running a GTX 670 and I’ve been getting this problem since a few days after the headstart launch. I’ll sit there for hours on end running the repair over and over and over and over while it does nothing. SOMETIMES a box with the guild wars logo appears over my launcher when I run the repair that has a progress bar saying that it’s actually repairing something, or it’ll download a few files then actually allow me to play, but then anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so I’ll crash out again from the corrupted MainCli.cpp. I put in a support ticket about this over 5 days ago and I have yet to hear anything. Hopefully now that these forums are up, things might get done. Let’s hope for the best.

(edited by MrBladder.4598)

Posted by: Spy.2437

Spy.2437

I’m also on a GTX 670 with up-to-date drivers for everything, but am getting the same corruption error. Files attached.

Posted by: ravenlord.7194

ravenlord.7194

I’m getting the same problem, i got GTX 680 (but i don’t believe there is a gfx problem since its spread to both AMD/Nvidia devices).

Posted by: Lannister.5916

Lannister.5916

I have the same issue on an AMD Radeon HD 7870, so it is not limited to GTX

Womp.8752

I wonder what else we have in common that is causing this issue. Any response from ANet would be absolutely lovely!

Posted by: Stuka.7165

Stuka.7165

I have a thread where I have the exact issues, I have a GT 430.

In my case I stopped repairing and the game behaves the same, it will still launch but continues to crash as it did before. Try not running the repair. It helped ease SOME of the frustration from these crashes because I didn’t have to wait 15 minutes after each one.

Now I could be wrong, but if this is the case I don’t think anything is actually being corrupted..

Posted by: Domestique de Gaia.3681

Domestique de Gaia.3681

A corrupted file issue ..I do not think would be related to the GPU. This has to be a hard drive or Network issue. Try installing it on a different HD if possible.

Did anybody try this yet? I’m giving it a go. I had it installed on an SSD before.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

I’m going to try to reinstall tomorrow. My repair didn’t even verify properly and came with the message: CRC failed. Also running it on an SSD, which is the only thing I haven’t changed yet hah.

Womp.8752

I’ve re-installed 4 times, it seems like there is some issue with the download where they can’t send clean files. I wonder if there are packets of corrupted files that they’re passing around in certain regions.

Posted by: fcv.1542

fcv.1542

I’m going to try to reinstall tomorrow. My repair didn’t even verify properly and came with the message: CRC failed. Also running it on an SSD, which is the only thing I haven’t changed yet hah.

So you have the game installed in a SSD like me and we both have the same problem. I didn’t have this problem when I was running it in my HDD “Secondary Disk”. So I’m going to change it to the HDD again and I’ll tell you If that fix the problem.

Womp.8752

Is that like a external HD or something?

Posted by: PaniK.9482

PaniK.9482

is this the error?

• Crash <—*

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Is that like a external HD or something?

Solid State Drive.

Womp.8752

is this the error?
—> Crash <—

Yes. Repairing does nothing. The launcher will act as if it’s fixed and your game will still crash as it always does.

Posted by: Arran Pellaeon.8437

Arran Pellaeon.8437

I’ve got the same issue as well, same crash error. Running a Radeon 6870 and have the game installed on a Crucial M4 SSD. Drive integrity is fine and have other games installed to the same drive with no crash issues.

fcv.1542

Good News !!! I moved the game folder to my HDD from my SSD and everything seems to be running perfect. I have been playing like 3 hours and I haven’t get any error so far. The reason of the crash could be that the game don’t run well in SSDs.

I’ve got the same issue as well, same crash error. Running a Radeon 6870 and have the game installed on a Crucial M4 SSD. Drive integrity is fine and have other games installed to the same drive with no crash issues.

Hello, I’m using the Corsair Force GT and I have others game installed in it and I play them without problems. Can you move your GW 2 Folder to your secondary disk “if you have one” and tells us if that fix your problem.

Womp.8752

My game was installed to my HDD and it has been having these issues all along.

PaniK.9482

Same as above guy.

Womp.8752

Does anyone have a second computer to test it on? I’m wonder if it’s hardware based, or if certain IPs are being forced to download corrupted files?

dave.5913

Womp…Move your game to a different HD if you have one available and see if your issue is resolved. FCV seems to have resolved the problem in this manner.

fcv.1542

Womp…Move your game to a different HD if you have one available and see if your issue is resolved. FCV seems to have resolved the problem in this manner.

No errors yet

Womp.8752

I’m installing the game for the 5th time now. I’m trying it on my external HD but it’s an HDD just like the one in my PC so I don’t know if that will change anything. Also, it’s less than ideal to be running games from there. I hope ArenaNet actually acknowledges the issue and can work to trying to fix it, rather than ignoring the whole mess entirely.

Womp.8752

Yeah, real well done. The installer says my 1TB external HD is “out of space” when I try and download it, despite the fact of it being, ohhh 10% full? How did this amateur stuff not get caught in beta?? Is it too late to request a refund?

Posted by: Pathaladis.4518

Pathaladis.4518

I crash all the time as well with the exact message as the rest to send off to them. I use dual Radeon 5870’s and my install is not on my C: drive at all, it’s on my E: The game worked great this way all through Beta and I didn’t once crash during any of those 3 events. I’ve updated everything on my computer within the last 2 days and it changes nothing. My AV and Firewall have permissions set for the game and my crashes are still every 30 mins or so. No idea what could be causing the problem. I’ve re-installed it 5 times now…

PaniK.9482

Yeah, real well done. The installer says my 1TB external HD is “out of space” when I try and download it, despite the fact of it being, ohhh 10% full? How did this amateur stuff not get caught in beta?? Is it too late to request a refund?

Yea, i dunno. I even switched Mother boards, and GPUs and Power supplys……..

Posted by: PaulMarden.4619

PaulMarden.4619

Next

[Copied from another thread]

For those who are encountering this issue, here’s what would be super helpful:

Run a memory diagnostic such as MemTest86 (make sure it’s thorough; some memory-errors are fleeting and require sustained use or special conditions).

If the memory diagnostic shows errors, post here saying so! After that, I suggest contacting your manufacturer. = )

If no errors are found, then please open the “Guild Wars 2” folder inside of your Documents folder. You should see one or many files with names similar to “Corrupt-ab48d7ad.dat”. Attach some of those to a post here; if you have many, just pick a few. Also, please attach the file “CorruptArchive.log”, which will be in that same folder.

There’s a good chance that there’ll be too many responses for me to personally examine all of the files, so I apologize in advance if I don’t personally respond to your post. = (

Also, I have no reason to believe this problem would be related to graphics cards/drivers.

onmuumno.2918

I’m at work right now so I’m unable to. Thank you so much for giving this problem some recognition. Womp and Nikah please upload your’s I feel it’s the same problem.

onmuumno.2918

Here is a file I found that contains the error messages I receive.

Attachments:

onmuumno.2918

Seems to me the files size is mismatched inside the client. At the bttom of the document posted it states this several times.

Decode was cancelled in the middle of a file-load (0×000381b00). Corrupted?
File size mismatch from archive for 0×000381b00; expected = 587624, actual = 0
Raw file 0×000381b0:0×00000000 has CRC 0×37a01a2d.

It appears this causes the crash and incessant repairing.

fcv.1542

[Copied from another thread]

For those who are encountering this issue, here’s what would be super helpful:

Run a memory diagnostic such as MemTest86 (make sure it’s thorough; some memory-errors are fleeting and require sustained use or special conditions).

If the memory diagnostic shows errors, post here saying so! After that, I suggest contacting your manufacturer. = )

If no errors are found, then please open the “Guild Wars 2” folder inside of your Documents folder. You should see one or many files with names similar to “Corrupt-ab48d7ad.dat”. Attach some of those to a post here; if you have many, just pick a few. Also, please attach the file “CorruptArchive.log”, which will be in that same folder.

There’s a good chance that there’ll be too many responses for me to personally examine all of the files, so I apologize in advance if I don’t personally respond to your post. = (

Also, I have no reason to believe this problem would be related to graphics cards/drivers.

Do you think it could be a problem with some HDDs or SSDs ? Like I said before, I moved the folder from my Corsair Force GT “SSD” to my 500GB “HDD” and I have not received any error yet. But I was having problems and errors every 15 minutes when I was running the game from my SSD.