Horrible FPS and choppy gameplay

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Predator.9214

Predator.9214

First I would like to say if this thread belongs somewhere else, mods will move it and I am aware of that.

To get to the point. Since the release I’ve been playing this game on best appearance without any issues with 60 FPS, sometimes lower when stuff is happening on screen. For those situations I sometimes switch to “auto detect” or even cough karka event cough to best performance.
But lately, or 2 days ago rather, the game is giving me horrible FPS, even on best performance. I am getting 20 – 30 FPS at best with “best performance” settings.

I came to the forums to seek help ‘cause I’m out of options. I’ve done pretty much everything I can. Reinstalled drivers, updated to newest, reverted to previous ones, opened my computer and clean it up (even tho’ it was not dusty giving the fact I keep my hardware clean and dust free) and so on.

Keep in mind that I play games like Crysis 3, The Witcher 2 and others on high settings / or even highest, without any issues and with getting 60 FPS, rarely lower. Please, give suggestions, GW2 is still my favorite game, but atm, it is literally unplayable (for me).

Thank you in advance.

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)
Assassin Stef (Daredevil)
Snow Crows (SC) | Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Szitler.4802

Szitler.4802

I havent had any issues, you are aware that the human eye only registers up to about 25-30fps? Anything above looks exactly the same, 60 will be the same as 30 to us….

When you say its “unplayable” i cant believe you on that one :/ Its physically not possible.

Predator.9214

I was not looking for other’s disbelief, but rather help. The numbers are just the ones being shown from others FPS measuring programs and / or in – game graphics tab in option menu. And when I say unplayable, I mean choppy in a way that is frustrating to play.
I understand you have your opition but if you don’t have any help / suggestions, with all do respect, walk away, and don’t digress from what I am actually looking for.

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)

(edited by Predator.9214)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Check your video card settings and graphical setting. my video card settings are on performance or balance I forget, but my game settings are on autodetect cause its not that big of a deal for me. My card isn’t a high end, just Nvidia GT 650. I normally have vert sync on which means you won’t see over 30fps anyway. This is in Orr at crowded penitents.

Attachments:

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

There are sub-forums dealing with specific graphic cards issues (well amd or nvidia). Try having a look in there and see if any of the suggestions help.
Personally I had an issue about a month ago after a patch. Funny thing is my 2nd video card had literally begun to die and I wasn’t aware.
If you have V-sync on try turning it off in settings (in-game). That helped once I got my rig back to working. Something had slowed the game down and that switch alone provided me about 20fps boost.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Predator.9214

I wish it was that easy. V – sync was already off.
Which sub – forums exactly are you talking about?

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Will-the-lousy-fps-be-fixed post in the thread about these issues….help keep it on the first page

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

I havent had any issues, you are aware that the human eye only registers up to about 25-30fps? Anything above looks exactly the same, 60 will be the same as 30 to us….

When you say its “unplayable” i cant believe you on that one :/ Its physically not possible.

This comment proves that you know nothing about PC gaming. You can clearly tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I can clearly tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps also. Just because you constantly play xbox and ps3 at 30fps doesn’t mean that you can’t notice the difference when it is higher.

As a message to the original poster, ArenaNet is constantly tweaking/modifying the game engine for better hardware compatibility and performance. They usually don’t implement these changes until they have weighed the pros versus the cons…but in this case…you seemed to get unlucky. The best you can do is provide ArenaNet with your full system specifications and hopefully they can find out what went wrong.

Best of luck.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

(edited by God Of Fissures.8627)

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

This comment proves that you know nothing about PC gaming. You can clearly tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I can clearly tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps also. Just because you constantly play xbox and ps3 at 30fps doesn’t mean that you can’t notice the difference when it is higher.

this really depends on the game, it also depends on your monitor, I have seen 60hz monitors that where very hard to tell from 120hz under the same game(able to run well beyond the refresh rate for fps), 30 to 60 is quite noticeable in most games, but 60-120 becomes harder, and 120-240 becomes quite difficult if the monitors are of good quality.

in a game like gw2, 30 would be acceptable as a minimum for min specs at low settings, or a mid high end rig at high settings in wvwvw….saddly this game gives you all of 30 minimum in wvwvw if you have top end gear overclocked to within an inch of its life….

As a message to the original poster, ArenaNet is constantly tweaking/modifying the game engine for better hardware compatibility and performance. They usually don’t implement these changes until they have weighed the pros versus the cons…but in this case…you seemed to get unlucky. The best you can do is provide ArenaNet with your full system specifications and hopefully they can find out what went wrong.

Best of luck.

a true believer…

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Posted by: bartz.8573

bartz.8573

I got exactly the same problem, too.

I have play this game on max settings at 40 average fps since beta. I haven’t played GW2 for a while. Yesterday, a friend asked me to help him with some skill challenges. I double-clicked the GW2 icon like before, after the patch and the loading screen, I was surprised to find that I get only 10-20 fps no matter the graphics settings. I tested at different spots, all maxed out, 15fps. All set to lowest, still 15fps. I have the newest driver and all windows update installed, Is there anything I can do other than waiting for next patch?

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

for the ppl argueing about 30fps vs 60 fps

u dont notice the frame rate but you do notice the RESPONSIVENESS of having 60 fps ovr 30.

60 fps is far far smoother then 30 fps when playing and u can notice it.

like when i play at 30 fps it feels a bit slow compared to 60 fps and i can tell when the game goes from 60 -below 30 just by the responsivness of camera movement.

there is a differance from 30-60 but not in the sense of oo the human eye cant see it. which alot of console players never realy understand

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: bthomas.3605

bthomas.3605

A few days ago I cleaned – as suggested here in these forums – my cooler’s heatsink. I did gain around ~15fps and the game started to run much more smoothly.

Bruno

Posted by: SkinnyT.5382

SkinnyT.5382

I’m having the same problem and it started about a week or 2 ago. I always had over 40fps but now I’m lucky to get 25. I’m also having problems loading in some areas , something I never had before. I was in straits the other day for instance, and there was barely anyone there (so no extra loading or anythign) and a group of monsters made me crash. It was only about 15 of them. I mean I did the final Karka event at max settings with little lag for crying aloud, what’s going on??