Get rid of WvW map chat

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Provost.6210

Provost.6210

I’m not putting this out there as a suggestion that I believe ought to be actually done. Rather, I’m stating this because if ANet wants to actually make WvW the kind of experience they are saying — that is, with small(er) groups moving about in a tactical manner instead of zerging all day every day — then this is what needs to happen.

You have given commanders “squad chat”. If you take away map chat, people will be forced to organize in 30-man groups, limiting the size of zergs to manageable numbers, including those who scout. Commanders also need to have the ability to kick people from their squad, and blocking someone should also prevent them from joining the squad entirely.

In addition to removing map chat, changes also need to be made to team chat. Team chat needs to be visible to everybody, but only accessible to commanders for speaking. This gives priority to commanders who need to relay important information such as orders to the map if they have more people following them than the 30-man squad allows. Team chat also needs to have no suppression. You can block people who are there to troll, there aren’t so many people on the map willing to completely destroy their name and render their tag useless.

If you need a larger form of group organization than squads, guess what we already have? Guilds. WvW guilds. Just have one commander in the guild tag up to lead, and everyone can remain organized through guild chat (or, since most guilds (and servers) have some form of voice communication, by getting on TeamSpeak/Vent/Mumble/etc.).

Again, this is a radical suggestion that I am presenting as it is the only feasible manner in which ANet can actually achieve this dream they have of a Utopian WvW in which everyone groups up nicely and evenly and tries to tackle multiple objectives at once and gives lower tier servers a little bit more of a fighting chance (as higher tier servers can still have inferior commanders, even if they have more population and can field a greater number of people). What I would do with WvW would be quite a bit different if it were up to me, though this would be an interesting starting point.

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

“You have given commanders “squad chat”. If you take away map chat, people will be forced to organize in 30-man groups, limiting the size of zergs to manageable numbers, including those who scout”

this makes no sense. what does team chat have to do with 80 people following the blue icon?

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Squads are only limited to 30 last I understand. I don’t think the map cap is dividable by the squads evenly and you’ll have a 3rd commander just to scoop up the rest of the people that can’t join the other 2 squads.

If the other servers are deciding to full map zerg a T3 garrison at the same time and we can’t call out to the rest of the map for those that are not in TS, the defending side is at a sever disadvantage.

You will require TS more than ever. Not everyone cares to be in TS all the time.

I also see an advantage to running tagless. It requires spies created to sit in citadel to do more than just sit there and rely the info where the commanders are at. If you have a blue icon, the spies can easily sit there and rely info instead of making the other server put someone on the zerg or to find it in the first place.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

commanders in your server use map chat instead of ts/vent?
time to jump ship, OP. your server is doomed no matter what

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

People don’t zerg because Anet gave them the tools organize one. They zerg cause that’s what people do, natural human behavior. Friendly zergs aren’t hard to find even without an blue icon/mapchat.

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

So ignorant, there are some things map chat is the best for and there are some people who simply refuse or can’t get on ts3.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: ArkAngel.7940

ArkAngel.7940

And how exactly are you going to communicate with deaf people? I know here on HoD we have several people who simply cannot use TS because they are deaf. Born with it or had a work accident.

Henge of Denravi [HoD]
The best player in the game
“I’m better than all of you!”

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

I don’t know if this has been suggested in the past, but wouldn’t it be interesting if we communicated with our team through team chat and be able to communicate with the enemies too through map chat? I do realise it can be abused by some though

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

nobody reads map chat or team chat, people just follow blue icons

I took an arrow to the knee

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

So ignorant, there are some things map chat is the best for and there are some people who simply refuse or can’t get on ts3.

so ignorant

map chat is never the best for absolutly anything. please quit arguing for the sake of arguing, you have no argument here.

and the people who simply refuse (noone on earth “cant”, if you can run the game you can run vent/ts by default) to use ts are the reason why servers tank. too many of them and the server is doomed.

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

o.o;;

Group into 15, have your leads do something like an objective – profit – small groups, effective point takers, but if you need to defend, simply group up again.

. it’s just mere discipline.

map chat is awesome. you can turn these off also by unclicking map chat from your chat bar. just explore your game screen; so threads like this will no need no posting.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Not really, there is only so much a map chat can do, it’s impossible to call a restack or CC in the middle of a battle. And if you do somehow do that the chat limiter will eventually get you, which is why we use TS.
1. if you refused to use TS it’s your own stubborn fault
2. It’s freakin free

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

All that would serve to do is create a greater divide between people who communicate via /m or /t and people who use 3rd party programs. Even if they removed commander icons, deleted the map (as in navigational aid, not zone) and removed all forms of in-game comms besides /s there would be no way to prevent people on <whatever voice chat> from zerging.

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

We rarely chat on our server, everything is done via TS. If you typing in a real time battle..well good luck to you friend!

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Cosmic Sparklejunk.3514

Cosmic Sparklejunk.3514

and the people who simply refuse (noone on earth “cant”, if you can run the game you can run vent/ts by default)

No one? Not even people with hearing impairment?

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

While communication is a huge hurdle for WvW, I don’t think that this would fix the issues I’ve encountered. If the average WvWer couldn’t use Map/Team chat I don’t think they’d be encouraged to group up, I think they’d be encouraged to keep doing their solo thing and never dare group up.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Get rid of WvW map chat

in WvW

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

This idea is kitten, i like to be able to speak with any random person, at any time, anywhere on the WvW map im on. This is a social game.. not some weird mute anti social.

Thief.