Need WvW Body Block?

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

As the title says, would be body block a solution to blobs/zergs??

Now you can pass by players , if you have more players you have a clear advantage, but with body block you cant regroup 70 players in a “tile” of the map, you must play smart , and less people and a “strategic” place can hold a superior number of enemies(towers/keep gates, etc),with body blocks ranged classes will have their niche in the WvW groups , because they will be able to hit enemies protected.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: pejot.4806

pejot.4806

That could be indeed nice, but there are technical limitations for bodyblocking. Anet servers are dieing in big battles even now (skill lag) and additional collision detection between all these players would make it even worse. Furthermore, it would most likely introduce problems with rubberbanding.

Anya of the Mists
[TaG] guild/raid leader
Gunnar’s Hold

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: denimdan.8642

denimdan.8642

i very much like this idea, and would love to see it posted on the suggestion forms if it hasn’t alrdy…it could ultimately give small groups the advantage they need against the mega blobs in chokes. As with this 3 or 4 guards could body block the choke for the eles, necros and rangers to rain hail on the opposing front lines and it would make the blob fights more realistic
not what it currently is with both blobs run through each other and the faster to re stack and push through again wins
but yes sadly as pejot said, if you think the server is laggy now, it would only be worse. So, until anet fixes there servers i doubt we will see great things like this become a reality in the game

Ranger
Storm Bluff Isle [EVOH]

(edited by denimdan.8642)

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

Warhammer online have Body block and is a “old game”….

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Body blocking would lead to too much grieving. People standing on top of vendors, waypoints etc.

Even if the blocking applied only to hostile player units, the dynamics of fights would be significantly altered. Who hasn’t turned off target assistance from UI options?

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Silas.8630

Silas.8630

It has much less to do with the age of the game than it does to do with the engine the game is built on. While the basic code for this exists in the form of melee attack assist it may not be technically feasible to enable on a larger scale.

SBI
[DR]

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

It absolutely needs it, it likely will never have it because the servers are already imploding with the current calculations being performed.

Mag Server Leader

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Body block will lower the treshold for the skill lag occurence. Now you will get skill lag 20vs20

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

It’s unnecessary.

This is just an L2P issue. The ability to run through your opponent(s) is a useful tactic. That’s why everyone disconnects Target Assist. Lean to master it.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

The ability to run through your opponent(s) is a useful tactic

oh yes, a real tactic, run TROUGH your opponent……

i know how to play WvW, but blob VS blob / zerg VS zerg is boring, i have 80 you have 20, your towers/keeps are mine, we can run TROUGH you, you cant defend your gates because we can run TROUGH you, you cant hold a place because we can runTROUGH you.

(edited by urdriel.8496)

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

i know how to play WvW, but blob VS blob / zerg VS zerg is boring, i have 80 you have 20, your towers/keeps are mine, we can run TROUGH you, you cant defend your gates because we can run TROUGH you, you cant hold a place because we can runTROUGH you.

I think that might be why some of us use crowd control skills..

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I don’t see how body blocking, even if it’s just enemies, is going to change that too much. And honestly, if 20 people can’t hold 80 people, then learn how to plan accordingly and use siege correctly.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

with or without CC, you can run TROUGH your enemies, ofc i know that blob/zerg players never will accept Body Block, run like a crazy spamming 1 is better.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

RedStar.4218

So you want to add the 1 second it will take for someone to get killed by a zerg ?

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

So you want to add the 1 second it will take for someone to get killed by a zerg ?

second line players with melee weapons, cant hit enemies with melee attacks.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Body block and friendly fire.

It will be awesome.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

with or without CC, you can run TROUGH your enemies, ofc i know that blob/zerg players never will accept Body Block, run like a crazy spamming 1 is better.

So they start to run through the front line, myself and the other staff eles take turns putting down static fields, and the melee go to town.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

So they start to run through the front line, myself and the other staff eles take turns putting down static fields, and the melee go to town.

other players can use skills too.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Before this goes any further being Copy-Pasted endlessly,

For those of you for whom English is a second language,
The word is THROUGH not TROUGH.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

About 80% CPU cycles on Warhammer servers were spent on collision detection

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I have played in games that have this and long ago decided that I don’t like a bunch of players stopping egress.

Can you imagine getting into a tower with 20+ players outside? They would stack 5 or so on the door and nobody is getting in. Even if it only happens with friendlies, some groups of players are going to grief and prevent players from getting to some place just by standing in the wrong spot. Jumping puzzles… ughhhh….

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

Can you imagine getting into a tower with 20+ players outside? They would stack 5 or so on the door and nobody is getting in.

yes, it is called tactical use of your environment.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Would have expected bodyblocking in guildwars2 since it was a good feature in Guildwars.

Also with the so called terrain focused combat (promoted in the early video’s) was interpereted by players as bodyblocking/dropoff etc..too bad it never came to that.
Bodyblocking in WvW would definately be something worth looking into.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Friendly bodyblocking leads to too much griefing.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

griefing? use report system….

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: ptitminou.6489

ptitminou.6489

There is nothing wrong with griefing if you are using a game mechanic. If it is not intended, they would program accordingly. Now if you use a 2nd account, relay enemy positions through 3rd party programs, that is greifing and you dont see them care about spying or those using the commander tracking hacks, which means greifing is acceptable in GW2.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten
Because censorship is the most important part of the MMO business.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I very much would love it. Though what about ranged classes? Wouldn’t they get OP compared to melee classes?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

It did but as I recall the collision detection created massive lag in large battles, do we really want more skill lag ?

I would say no to collision detection, there’s a very good reason “most” MMO’s avoid using collision detection.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Player Character.9467

griefing? use report system….

You can’t report somebody for having 5 people stand and block a portal or a merchant.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

Would have expected bodyblocking in guildwars2 since it was a good feature in Guildwars.

Also with the so called terrain focused combat (promoted in the early video’s) was interpereted by players as bodyblocking/dropoff etc..too bad it never came to that.
Bodyblocking in WvW would definately be something worth looking into.

Ya it was a feature of GW1. Does anybody else remember how bad the ruberbanding got when lag started to pick up? You see an enemy in one spot, you move to run around them. 2 seconds later the server catches up and realizes the enemy was actualy standing 3 feet to the left, the spot you ran through and you warp back to right infront of the foe you just ran around.

Ya body blocking would be a nice tactical tool to have but there are just too many issues with it for it to be viable and still have large battles. It would probably work better to add in more line of warding type effects if they wanted players to be able to bodyblock locations as a regular tactic, although they’d either have to prevent stability from overriding it or make it harder for zergballs to maintain long stretches of stability.

As an idea about how to go about this hows this for an idea.
New ability: Hunker
Cost: 50% endurance (1 dodge)
Effects: Creates a 70 radius zone centered on the caster. While the caster remains in this zone enemies can not pass through the zone. Duration 5 seconds or untill caster leaves the area. Does not block projectiles. Can not be bypassed with stability.

This would alow a player to approach to half of standard melee range so even melee could still attack a player useing hunker. It also forces the player to make a choice on if body blocking the enemy is worth standing there and takeing it as you are not only stationary but you also sacrificed a dodge to activate it. They would also probably want to have stability up when doing this as if they get knocked back out of the field the field drops. Give it to all classes activated via hotkey much like dodge is. Due to endurance regen a single player can not maintain a hunker indefinitely.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

Aside from collision detection causing horrendous lag, there are abilities that prevent forward momentum on different classes, use them, even with stability negating the affect you will still prevent a chunk of players from moving forward.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Clipping yes I have suggested this to breakup the zerg fights.

It would not apply to movement skills and stealth and blink and probably dodge.

ranged attacks would need LOS to attack past ally players. Formations would become important with a front line and peripherie etc. a small, powerful group would have more opportunity to flank and widdle away at a larger uncoordinated group. mass-rezzing would be less of an issue. As far as performance goes, AoE cap calculations would be greatly reduced so it may solve itself.

everything would change, and nearly all the changes as far as WvW goes would be awesome.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Skroo.1560

Skroo.1560

IRONBREAKERS ON THE STAIRS! SPAM HEALS.

FPS: .25

Playing an IB in 10v10 was a kitten blast though.

Skroo [POV][ROLL] – Yak’s Bend

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

IRONBREAKERS ON THE STAIRS! SPAM HEALS.

FPS: .25

Playing an IB in 10v10 was a kitten blast though.

Indeed it was, but that FPS in large fights …. absolutely painful.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

body block can cause so many issues and griefing…i played a game before with body block in pvp, i was really bad, especially fighting classes with pets

imagine fighting pet necro: you get body blocked by pets in the corner and can’t do kitten about it

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

As an idea about how to go about this hows this for an idea.
New ability: Hunker
Cost: 50% endurance (1 dodge)
Effects: Creates a 70 radius zone centered on the caster. While the caster remains in this zone enemies can not pass through the zone. Duration 5 seconds or untill caster leaves the area. Does not block projectiles. Can not be bypassed with stability.

Sanctuary sounds a lot like this, the guardians utility skill. Currently can be bypassed with stability, but maybe this will change in an update.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i would welcome body block any time…….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

RedStar.4218

second line players with melee weapons, cant hit enemies with melee attacks.

I’m talking about enemies body blocking. Allies body blocking will never happen because of all the griefing it can (and will without doubt) cause.

And every classes has access to ranged AoE attacks.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Interesting idea. Add Friendlyfire on, get rid of the AoE 5 limitation and i’ll be happy.

Greezz

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

I don’t see how body blocking, even if it’s just enemies, is going to change that too much. And honestly, if 20 people can’t hold 80 people, then learn how to plan accordingly and use siege correctly.

Body blocking only enemies would improve those kind of situation. Right now, in an hypotetical 80 vs 20, the 80 can just run past the 20 and kill their siege weapons with which they are trying to stop the enemy blob. If there was body blocking, the whole 80 blob would have to stand in a precise point (assuming the 20 guys know what they are doing and they are holding the wave) without having the chance to kill enemy siege weapons AND being attacked by them.

If there was friendly body blocking too, then 80 vs 20 would be much more equilibrated. Think about it, why does an 80 vs 20 fight is unbalanced? Because the 80 can all attack the 20. If there was friendly body blocking not all the 80 could attack the 20, because of body blocking of course. The melee train would see its effectiveness cut in at least an half. The 80 vs 20 in a choke point would become a 20 vs 20 + the ranged guys.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

BODY BLOCKING TO GAME, ASURA RACE DISSGRACE!!! CHARRS AND NORNS WILL BE GODS!!)

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

Had to read a few posts into the thread before I realised you were talking about Collision detection not some new combat move.

edit. And if they tried to introduce it their engine would explode and the servers would melt.

Lurch
Gandara

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

it would be essentially like every player has a tiny ring of warding around their character, without the knockback effect, and that stability does not negate.

the amount of AoE calculations would reduce greatly I would expect, both friendly and enemy.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

urdriel.8496

ia tiny ring of warding around their character, without the knockback effect, and that stability does not negate.

It is a nice and simple idea

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Player Character.9467

it would be essentially like every player has a tiny ring of warding around their character, without the knockback effect, and that stability does not negate.

the amount of AoE calculations would reduce greatly I would expect, both friendly and enemy.

Even if aoe calculations reduced from fewer people being IN aoes, the rubber banding from client-server desynching the position of something slightly, you running through it on your client, and the server saying “NO WAIT YOU CAN’T! GO BACK!” would suck.

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Could a dev confirm that this would take added resources please? If not then please please please get this in the game for enemy and friendly.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Need WvW Body Block?

in WvW

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

This would be pretty awesome actually. It would give so much more purpose to heavy classes.

Guardian shield wall ftw.