Something is WRONG

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Acordeon.7134

Acordeon.7134

atleast 5 dev answers on the wvw page??? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE DEVS? WHO ARE YOU?
Real wvw changes?

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Devon has always been a good communicator with the WvW players. He also tends to post in flurries, probably due to being busy working on the game and not having a lot of time for the forums. Working as intended IMO.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

Devon has always been a good communicator with the WvW players. He also tends to post in flurries, probably due to being busy working on the game and not having a lot of time for the forums. Working as intended IMO.

Devon’s a PR. His job’s to keep us the happiest that is rationally possible. What he SHOULD be is a liaison. If you think communication between community and the devs is working as intended, you are mistaken. Do you really feel that they are on the same page as us right now? Supply Mastery?

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Post in flurries and says absolutely nothing, so worth while.

~ AoN ~

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

flurries on the weekends no less. Poor guy works so hard he only has time for forum fun from home. I would say Devon’s job is not really PR related either, I think he might actually be the WvW lead with real responsibilities besides handling the peanut gallery. o.O

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

He’s not a PR puppet, he’s a content designer and the head of the WvW team at ArenaNet.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

Devon’s a PR.

What the heck is a PR? I am a designer and the coordinator of the WvW team. I am in charge of making the decisions as to the implementation of and final versions of anything that gets put into WvW. While part of my job is to post on the forums to keep y’all informed, it’s also part of my job to not make promises that we can’t keep. So, my answers come off as vague, because that’s as much as I can say. If I’m saying anything, you should consider that to mean something, because if it is a topic I have absolutely no information on, I won’t talk about it at all.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

You guys really need to look into making some changes that makes WvW itself easier to balance … then maybe every other change made to the game that impacts WvW, wouldn’t disqualify all this other wonderful stuff you can’t make promises on.

…A good place to start would be small Elite teams versus Zergs. …or Outmanned in general. The NPC commanders that are just used to PVD a single tower did nothing to change that. It’s time to take the training wheels off the Zerg and just allow outnumbered players themselves to scale up into being Elite Rank or even Champions (along with champion l00t upon defeat) if that’s what it takes to thin out the Zergs finally ….and most of all: break this constant cycle of every little patch screwing up things b/c something affected culling or graphics or framerates or how much damage/mitigation can be stacked when you clump 100 people into a 4ft by 4ft square….

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Acordeon.7134

Right Devon, you^re in charge. Can we pleaseeeeee pleaseeee get some info on deadlines? Like when are we going to get actual wvw content?
Bless this mess, ty

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Right Devon, you^re in charge. Can we pleaseeeeee pleaseeee get some info on deadlines? Like when are we going to get actual wvw content?

While part of my job is to post on the forums to keep y’all informed, it’s also part of my job to not make promises that we can’t keep. So, my answers come off as vague, because that’s as much as I can say. If I’m saying anything, you should consider that to mean something, because if it is a topic I have absolutely no information on, I won’t talk about it at all.

The man said he won’t post what anything can’t guarantee. That will include deadlines for things they haven’t fully nailed down yet.

ANet do post WvW related commitments in the announcements for upcoming releases and, IIRC, WvW has been a regular item in most of these.

The problem seems to be more that the scale of WvW changes is low relative to PvE and PvP – the changes that have been made, while all good ideas, are still much less developed than their PvP and PvE equivalents.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Acordeon.7134

When they do PvE stuff they make a nice n shinny page feauturing everything and anything, shamefully hiding a new mastery somewgere around. Why not do the same with WvW? Cant be hard to tell : Next month we work on private comm tags; This year we shall sit on our butts… it aint that hard… would make us feel loved ???<3<3

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Okaishi.8320

Okaishi.8320

We’re not seeing as much new WvW content as we would like, but Devon is not to blame for this. I’m absolutely sure he’s working very hard to bring us new changes and updates. If anything, I’d blame Anet for not putting more people on the WvW dev team, as I’m quite sure there’s a lot more people working on PvE content than there are developers working on WvW content.

Member of TUP on Gandara

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Darlgon.9273

Darlgon.9273

Devon’s a PR.

What the heck is a PR?

I think he meant to say you were Public Relations. Apparently he is confused about your title. From your intro way back when you are the lead designer of WvW, as some have already said. (Sigh, cant find the link atm.) However, your activity, actually, the activity of a large number of the Devs from ANet, in the forums made him think you were part of the team to promote the game.. which you do just by all your interaction with players.

Charrdian, Ashura Mesmer, Norn Ranger, Sylvari Elementalist and Human Magic Engineer

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

because if it is a topic I have absolutely no information on, I won’t talk about it at all.

Actually it would be a lot better if you did. You can just tell us that you have no information on that. Or just tell us to stop whining and move on. Leaving us without any response is rude an doesn’t create trust. On the next thread where they ask you to nerf thieves, just go in and tell them that it is not going to happen and that thieves work as intended (if they do). Next time there is an active thread about GvG’s in the borderlands just jump in and tell them what Anet’s stand is. Do you not care that it is happening in the Borderland, are you against it? Or just tell them that any kind of official GvG won’t be in for the next year at least. Just give us something even if you just tell us that you have nothing to give.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Jansy.8463

Jansy.8463

Devon’s a PR.

What the heck is a PR? I am a designer and the coordinator of the WvW team. I am in charge of making the decisions as to the implementation of and final versions of anything that gets put into WvW.

Just a title.

Also, if you are a coordinator of the WvW team, and that WvW team consists of no-one that actually does PR, you become the PR guy. Unless you of course delegate it off.

Gold Cape via Hall of Monuments pls…

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Phate.4871

Phate.4871

Devon’s a PR.

What the heck is a PR? I am a designer and the coordinator of the WvW team. I am in charge of making the decisions as to the implementation of and final versions of anything that gets put into WvW. While part of my job is to post on the forums to keep y’all informed, it’s also part of my job to not make promises that we can’t keep. So, my answers come off as vague, because that’s as much as I can say. If I’m saying anything, you should consider that to mean something, because if it is a topic I have absolutely no information on, I won’t talk about it at all.

Design and coordinate then. Make some promises you can keep rather than dodge the community. If you dont have information, how much of a coordinator are you? Get some information, you have a team(I think). Give us some bones and stop hiding. That is why most of wvw is upset, is the complete lack of communication.

FA warrior and mesmer.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

This much dev activity in WvW forum is one of the signs of the coming apocalypse

I get that you don’t want to tell us too much.

However when we’re asking for changes and all we hear is “We’re working on it” or “soon” while we watch PVE get constant updates that have Aftershock updates (you know, the 4-5 bug fixes that follow every patch) it paints the illusion that Arena Net as a whole is not applying effort evenly between the game types.

Can we break this illusion that clouds our communication?

BTW, this living story thing is insane work for you guys. That you have to churn out a new map and new content every 4 weeks for it has got to make for a very busy life. Maybe after you drop the next fractal out you can take a break from living story and give WvW a little more love. It might just quell this restless forum back down to just talking about thief nerfs.

Little red Lioka

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

Devon’s a PR.

I am just curious as to how the heck you guys do release/version management and project planning and have absolutely ZERO idea WHAT your working and WHEN it will be finished? I can tell you as a developer I WISH I had a deliverable’s like that….

Customer: Hey when is that feature or functionality going to be finished, a week? two? 3 months? a year?

Developer: It’ll get finished when I get to it….could be 2 weeks could be 3 months..or a year? I DON’T KNOW YET…

Customer: Maybe a ballpark… rough idea?

Developer: Listen, I don’t even know IF I will be working on that feature….heck I don’t even know if i’m GOING to implement it after I work on it for a few weeks…heck I don’t even know if I AM going to finish it…so just shaddap and when I get it all done…I will let you know a week a head of time…then I will push it to production…so quit asking questions!

Customer: You’re fired…i’ll find someone else.

LoL

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Devon’s a PR.

I am just curious as to how the heck you guys do release/version management and project planning and have absolutely ZERO idea WHAT your working and WHEN it will be finished? I can tell you as a developer I WISH I had a deliverable’s like that….

Customer: Hey when is that feature or functionality going to be finished, a week? two? 3 months? a year?

Developer: It’ll get finished when I get to it….could be 2 weeks could be 3 months..or a year? I DON’T KNOW YET…

Developer: Listen, I don’t even know IF I will be working on that feature….heck I don’t even know if i’m GOING to implement it after I work on it for a few weeks…heck I don’t even know if I AM going to finish it…so just shaddap and when I get it all done…I will let you know a week a head of time…that I will push it to production…so quit asking questions!

LoL

Hello, I’m reality. Have we met?

You’re doing one of those apples/oranges things you realize, yes? As a developer myself, I realize that there’s a difference between delivering something to a customer that has paid/is paying for a product at a certain deadline and a gaming company like ArenaNet that is effectively giving out free content when it’s ready to enhance the existing game. You’re describing the former, the business contracting out work to a developer and expecting a deliverable at a certain deadline. This is not that scenario. A more realistic scenario based on what you’ve mentioned is a customer that already paid for and received the product and finds that they get free updates to the software as they become available.

Now that sniff of reality. They know exactly what they’re working on, and they know exactly when they’d like to have it ready. They’re also realistic enough to utilize the fact that there’s no hard deliverable deadline to perfect the deliverables before they ship, giving themselves release flexibility in exchange for quality of product.

You know… as a developer I too wish I had that degree of flexibility in delivering the product. That means I’d be working at ArenaNet on Guild Wars 2 and would be absolutely giddy about how life is going. Hey Devon… if you ever decide to shift a lot of data to a mainframe for the massive data-crunching capabilities let me know, ’k?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

Devon’s a PR.

Developer: Listen, I don’t even know IF I will be working on that feature….heck I don’t even know if i’m GOING to implement it after I work on it for a few weeks…heck I don’t even know if I AM going to finish it…so just shaddap and when I get it all done…I will let you know a week a head of time…that I will push it to production…so quit asking questions!

LoL

You’re doing one of those apples/oranges things you realize, yes? As a developer myself, I realize that there’s a difference between delivering something to a customer that has paid/is paying for a product at a certain deadline and a gaming company like ArenaNet that is effectively giving out free content when it’s ready to enhance the existing game. You’re describing the former, the business contracting out work to a developer and expecting a deliverable at a certain deadline. This is not that scenario. A more realistic scenario based on what you’ve mentioned is a customer that already paid for and received the product and finds that they get free updates to the software as they become available.

Now that sniff of reality. They know exactly what they’re working on, and they know exactly when they’d like to have it ready. They’re also realistic enough to utilize the fact that there’s no hard deliverable deadline to perfect the deliverables before they ship, giving themselves release flexibility in exchange for quality of product.

You know… as a developer I too wish I had that degree of flexibility in delivering the product. That means I’d be working at ArenaNet on Guild Wars 2 and would be absolutely giddy about how life is going. Hey Devon… if you ever decide to shift a lot of data to a mainframe for the massive data-crunching capabilities let me know, ’k?

Fair enough, even using your example, you have a project plan no? You know what you are currently working on….how long it will take…a best and worst case scenario…and you can at least predict a month or so out what you PLAN to deliver even in a generic sense…

example: We are currently working on fixing the commander system and how it functions, it’s at the top of our list in priorities and we’re hoping to have it done in 2-3 months.

If it changes…so be it…kitten happens….but for crying out loud don’t sit here and give us a BS answer that you have NO IDEA about ANY time frames or priorities on what you working on? That’s a load of BS, I don’t care what developer it comes from….paid for…free…open source….

Edit: I guess maybe they really don’t….which would explain a whole heck of lot of things….

Edit Edit: To summarize positively…I don’t think people have a problem with them saying…hey I can’t give you a DATE for delivery…that’s not it….it’s that they don’t give us ANYTHING…so they say…hey guys…we are working on stuff…and we’re like great awesome….should we wait 6 months? a year? 3 years? 5? two weeks? .. and there response is…we don’t know…sooner than you think but not as soon as we would like….WELL GOLLY GEE!!! CHRISTMAS FREAKING MIRACLES….totally narrows it down… how about like in 3-6 months….even if you needed a 3 MONTH BUFFER at least don’t give a lame cryptic response 3-6 months is better than who knows??

Dragonbrand

(edited by Gamadorn.2670)

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

Fair enough, even using your example, you have a project plan no? You know what you are currently working on….how long it will take…a best and worst case scenario…and you can at least predict a month or so out what you PLAN to deliver even in a generic sense…

example: We are currently working on fixing the commander system and how it functions, it’s at the top of our list in priorities and we’re hoping to have it done in 2-3 months.

If it changes…so be it…kitten happens….but for crying out loud don’t sit here and give us a BS answer that you have NO IDEA about ANY time frames or priorities on what you working on? That’s a load of BS, I don’t care what developer it comes from….paid for…free…open source….

Do you actually think they don’t have any project plans or projected completion dates? Seriously? There’s a significant point you’re missing, either willingly or by misunderstanding… they don’t need to share with us their project plans or expected completion dates. They choose to do so when something is near enough to completion that they can reliably and reasonably be sure that they’ll meet that date, because that means the deliverable is pretty much ready and nailed down. Now look at the commander system you’re mentioning… we don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. They could be in the early design phase, in which case there’s concepts being gone over and not much else. Kind of hard to place a date on that, yes? Maybe they’ve settled on a design and are hammering out the features. Maybe they know exactly what they want, on paper, and are starting to code. Could they give a date then? Not really. What if something else comes up that takes greater priority? What if they find the new system is having integration issues with the existing system and parts of the existing system will need a redesign if they progress with the current commander system design so they need to decide which path to follow? Even if they have a system up and running in alpha it’s still too soon to give a hard date, who knows what testing will turn up. Everything seemed to be going fine, but integration testing found a fairly significant error that requires it being backed out. Until whatever is being worked on is in Beta and performing up to expectations, has been enhanced with ideas and changes that were determined to be worth adding/making, etc. you’re fooling yourself if you think we’ll get a date or even the fact that something is close to release.

Or, let’s ask this question… what if they “promised” a new commander system in three months and it turned out it wasn’t ready?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Devon’s a PR.

LoL

That is total garbage. A customer is a customer, period. It doesn’t matter if the “customer” has signed a contract for a deliverable, or if he pays for a collection of items on a per-unit basis as he sees fit, or if he doesn’t pay for anything at all. If the company wants to keep people on the hook they need to meet some minimum portion of their expectations … the obligation on the part of the company is exactly the same in each situation.

Fundamentally, ANet isn’t giving out free anything … that’s simply a clueless perception. Their business model requires that they meet customer expectations on an ongoing basis or their revenue stream dries up. Maybe Anet has decided that WvW isn’t a significant contribution to their customer base, and that would be fine and reasonable if so, but until they have the integrity to tell us that directly we have the right to expect better service than we’ve been getting.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

That is total garbage. A customer is a customer, period. It doesn’t matter if the “customer” has signed a contract for a deliverable, or if he pays for a collection of items on a per-unit basis as he sees fit, or if he doesn’t pay for anything at all. If the company wants to keep people on the hook they need to meet some minimum portion of their expectations … the obligation on the part of the company is exactly the same in each situation.

Fundamentally, ANet isn’t giving out free anything … that’s simply a clueless perception. Their business model requires that they meet customer expectations on an ongoing basis or their revenue stream dries up. Maybe Anet has decided that WvW isn’t a significant contribution to their customer base, and that would be fine and reasonable if so, but until they have the integrity to tell us that directly we have the right to expect better service than we’ve been getting.

I’ll make you a deal. You go on ahead and keep believing that and I’ll properly respect your right to be wrong.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Do you actually think they don’t have any project plans or projected completion dates? Seriously? There’s a significant point you’re missing, either willingly or by misunderstanding… they don’t need to share with us their project plans or expected completion dates. They choose to do so when something is near enough to completion that they can reliably and reasonably be sure that they’ll meet that date, because that means the deliverable is pretty much ready and nailed down. Now look at the commander system you’re mentioning… we don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. They could be in the early design phase, in which case there’s concepts being gone over and not much else. Kind of hard to place a date on that, yes? Maybe they’ve settled on a design and are hammering out the features. Maybe they know exactly what they want, on paper, and are starting to code. Could they give a date then? Not really. What if something else comes up that takes greater priority? What if they find the new system is having integration issues with the existing system and parts of the existing system will need a redesign if they progress with the current commander system design so they need to decide which path to follow? Even if they have a system up and running in alpha it’s still too soon to give a hard date, who knows what testing will turn up. Everything seemed to be going fine, but integration testing found a fairly significant error that requires it being backed out. Until whatever is being worked on is in Beta and performing up to expectations, has been enhanced with ideas and changes that were determined to be worth adding/making, etc. you’re fooling yourself if you think we’ll get a date or even the fact that something is close to release.

Or, let’s ask this question… what if they “promised” a new commander system in three months and it turned out it wasn’t ready?

What if they didn’t even acknowledge the issue or tell us what they had planned for it? Oh wait … we already know how well that is being received.

So let’s say you take your car to a repair shop and ask for an estimate. They initially ignore you but eventually tell you that they have no idea what the problem is, no idea when they will be able to work on it, and no idea whether they will be able to fix it. You try a different shop and they tell you that they aren’t sure what the problem is, but they’ll do their best to start working on it two days from now and unless something totally unexpected is found they should be able to fix it within a week. Which response do you prefer?

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Cactus.2710

I’ll make you a deal. You go on ahead and keep believing that and I’ll properly respect your right to be wrong.

There are more than 11,000,000 Google responses to the search phrase “economics of meeting customer expectations” (not to mention my 35 years managing a large scale business) that say I’m right.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

No one is ASKING them to promise…we’re just asking for SOMETHING. Again..here i’ll even EXPAND on what I said…since you can’t seem to grasp it:

Anet: I’m sorry guys the commander system is taking longer then we anticipated to complete because of some unforeseen integration issues, we hope these setbacks won’t put us back longer than 3 weeks, but we will see as we go and keep you updated when we can!

See how f’ing simple that is? I’m not asking for UNREASONABLE expectations…but having SOME expectations..would be nice lol

Edit: It would just be nice to know they have a plan..and are working on it with a little more detail then…yeah..we’re on it….when their track record has been less than stellar in this area..

Dragonbrand

(edited by Gamadorn.2670)

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I think the problem is that we do not have a community manager in charge of digging out that information and with the expertise in knowing how to balance the need to inform vs the need to manage expectations. Having a designer/coordinator acting in that role is creating an information road block.

~ AoN ~

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

No one is ASKING them to promise…we’re just asking for SOMETHING. Again..here i’ll even EXPAND on what I said…since you can’t seem to grasp it:

Anet: I’m sorry guys the commander system is taking longer then we anticipated to complete because of some unforeseen integration issues, we hope these setbacks won’t put us back longer than 3 weeks, but we will see as we go and keep you updated when we can!

See how f’ing simple that is? I’m not asking for UNREASONABLE expectations…but having SOME expectations..would be nice lol

Edit: It would just be nice to know they have a plan..and are working on it with a little more detail then…yeah..we’re on it….when their track record has been less than stellar in this area..

But that’s just is. If they give you something, even a “Hey, we think we might have a new commander system in three months or so” you know right well that there will be a significantly loud group of people that take that as gospel that it’s being worked on and promised in exactly three months. Admit it… that’s the reality of the internet. Look at all the “Cantha confirmed” jokes that pop up if any dev even hints or mentions something remotely Canthan related; those jokes are based on the reality of unrealistic expectations. Look at your scenario… they say “commander in three months” then have a set back or, gods forbid, have to set it aside to work on something completely different. How soon do you think the “you lied” posts and the “crappy developers” posts would be popping up? Within minutes, I guarantee it.

So here’s the reality. They know what they’re working on and have really good idea what they’d like to work on or will be next. We’ll find out about these things when the release is about as assured as it can get to prevent the above scenario altogether. When they tell us we’re getting something, that means we’re getting it, it’s as solid as their testing can tell, and they know exactly when they can release it because it’s been cleared to be released on that date.

Look at the changes to the orb system. For so long we’ve heard that that’s something they’d really like to do. Now, suddenly, bang. It’s not just something they’d like to do, it’s something that they can confidently tell us we’re getting and getting soon. We have no idea how many times they came across issues and had to go back to the drawing board or even that it was definitely being worked on, and as such you didn’t see people demanding details on when it would be released, why they lied about when it would be released, why they hired such crappy developers and other ridiculous complaints. It’s ready, it’s coming, it’s as it should be.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: MegaManExpert.8413

MegaManExpert.8413

I am also a software develop and done some solo game development as a hobby, I can say that ArenaNet has been way more transparent to updates then most companies out there.

I could be wrong but who else releases a bi-yearly state of the game? Who else tries to get a full update notes a few hours before the update? Who else tries to gather at least some feedback from there committees as the forums, reddit, game blogs, and in-game to shape there development?

What most people are asking for is there development documents, which have ESTIMATED dates based on the knowledge of the people who created them. Would you be happy to have public viewing of there Scrum board (or other management methodology) and watch tasks move from column to column? Try to get any company less a game company to post there development plans for the public to review. If I did that at my work for the customer, I would be fired and maybe sued for leaking it.

Personally I payed money for a stable product at launch which satisfies me as a developer. The money I pay for the gem store supports content that has been tested and released such as the minis and boosters. The updates that the game gets is free and not gated as “Buyable packs” like in some MMOs.

I hate rants like this, but some of the responses from people just really grind my gears.

Proud Commander for Isle of Janthar
Laspo Yorick – Mesmer
Samson Longshanks – Warrior

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

But that’s just is. If they give you something, even a “Hey, we think we might have a new commander system in three months or so” you know right well that there will be a significantly loud group of people that take that as gospel that it’s being worked on and promised in exactly three months. Admit it… that’s the reality of the internet. Look at all the “Cantha confirmed” jokes that pop up if any dev even hints or mentions something remotely Canthan related; those jokes are based on the reality of unrealistic expectations. Look at your scenario… they say “commander in three months” then have a set back or, gods forbid, have to set it aside to work on something completely different. How soon do you think the “you lied” posts and the “crappy developers” posts would be popping up? Within minutes, I guarantee it.

So here’s the reality. They know what they’re working on and have really good idea what they’d like to work on or will be next. We’ll find out about these things when the release is about as assured as it can get to prevent the above scenario altogether. When they tell us we’re getting something, that means we’re getting it, it’s as solid as their testing can tell, and they know exactly when they can release it because it’s been cleared to be released on that date.

Look at the changes to the orb system. For so long we’ve heard that that’s something they’d really like to do. Now, suddenly, bang. It’s not just something they’d like to do, it’s something that they can confidently tell us we’re getting and getting soon. We have no idea how many times they came across issues and had to go back to the drawing board or even that it was definitely being worked on, and as such you didn’t see people demanding details on when it would be released, why they lied about when it would be released, why they hired such crappy developers and other ridiculous complaints. It’s ready, it’s coming, it’s as it should be.

No and stop saying here’s the reality…lol

You’re right… there will be forum bashers and crazy internet users saying those things… it simply comes with the territory as i’m SURE Devon knows….

What is worse though….being as transparent and forward as you can and giving the majority of your customer’s the knowledge that you hear their concerns and are actively showing them that you DO have a plan and for them to hang on help is coming and dealing with the negativity of some posters?

Or…don’t say anything because you worried about some negative posters on the internet and don’t update your customer’s at all…

Dragonbrand

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Devon’s a PR.

Really? Based on the current mess that is WvW i would suggest maybe spending more trying to make GOOD decisions when it comes to WvW, becuase currently who ever is making all the decisions they are terrible and mostly unwanted by the playerbase…

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

You’re doing one of those apples/oranges things you realize, yes? As a developer myself, I realize that there’s a difference between delivering something to a customer that has paid/is paying for a product at a certain deadline and a gaming company like ArenaNet that is effectively giving out free content when it’s ready to enhance the existing game.

You realize that this is the exact deliberate argumentative strategy behind online game microtransactions that allows the company to absolve itself of any responsibility to deliver the content the customers want?
We are paying them in expectation of certain development goals, like PVE content or WvW improvements. Unlike with products/features that are sold after the fact, as is more traditional economics, we have no influence over where that money goes.

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Curiosity question: What is your definition of “soon”? One month? Two months? Three months? Six Months? I will bet $100 that you don’t even care, whereas the rest of us would greatly prefer something more definitive. An answer that can’t reasonably be quantified is not an answer at all.

Besides, there are SO many more things that WvW drastically needs (balanced matches, reasonable queues, bug fixes, better grouping mechanisms, less lag, evolving content, newer maps, etc) that giving us orbs is like fixing the cigarette lighter socket on a classic car that’s been abused. It’s amusing that you have such lower regard, and therefore lower expectations, for this game than the rest of us do.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

No and stop saying here’s the reality…lol

You’re right… there will be forum bashers and crazy internet users saying those things… it simply comes with the territory as i’m SURE Devon knows….

What is worse though….being as transparent and forward as you can and giving the majority of your customer’s the knowledge that you hear their concerns and are actively showing them that you DO have a plan and for them to hang on help is coming and dealing with the negativity of some posters?

Or…don’t say anything because you worried about some negative posters on the internet and don’t update your customer’s at all…

The reality is (I changed that for you ) that they’re doing this already. Devon and others quite often are in these very forums acknowledging issues and giving us as much information as they comfortably can. Will it ever be enough information for everyone, no, of course not. But it tends to be a lot more than other games I’ve played. Give them credit for what they do.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

Curiosity question: What is your definition of “soon”? One month? Two months? Three months? Six Months? I will bet $100 that you don’t even care, whereas the rest of us would greatly prefer something more definitive. An answer that can’t reasonably be quantified is not an answer at all.

Besides, there are SO many more things that WvW drastically needs (balanced matches, reasonable queues, bug fixes, better grouping mechanisms, less lag, evolving content, newer maps, etc) that giving us orbs is like fixing the cigarette lighter socket on a classic car that’s been abused. It’s amusing that you have such lower regard, and therefore lower expectations, for this game than the rest of us do.

Lower expectations? No.

Less need to issue demands and whine and complain about things I can’t control and a greater willingness to trust them to do what’s right when they can? Yep.

What can I say, I’m a fanboy that’s still having a blast in WvW. I look forwards to what’s coming rather than lament about what hasn’t.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Lower expectations? No.

Less need to issue demands and whine and complain about things I can’t control and a greater willingness to trust them to do what’s right when they can? Yep.

What can I say, I’m a fanboy that’s still having a blast in WvW. I look forwards to what’s coming rather than lament about what hasn’t.

I notice that you didn’t answer my question, but then again … yes, you are most certainly a fanboy.

By the way, exactly what are you looking forward to? I’ll bet you can’t describe it in terms that wouldn’t make you look foolish to someone contemplating buying the game.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: problematic.9623

problematic.9623

Keep fighting the good fight people. The community hasn’t decided yet that the WvW Dev team earned respect. The Dev team did not communicate [or show] their mastery of WvW gameplay. The Dev team did not communicate understanding of WvW player needs. The Dev team did not communicate understanding of player created feedback.

Do you want to challenge these claims?

You will not get charity, good feelings, or respect until that is corrected.

Phun – Guardian
I renounce my hibernation and return.
Sea of Sorrows survivor – Currently on Blackgate

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: MegaManExpert.8413

MegaManExpert.8413

Was really bored and since I don’t do fan-fiction… I present to you fan-development fiction!

I feel really dirty now I made a scrum chart for Septembers WvW updates. This chart is not in any way related to what ArenaNet is currently developing and only a 30 min mock up of a fans wishful fantasy.

Hopefully someone can get a laugh out of it… also ignore the burn down chart… it would be a lot more interesting if I could fake the whole 2 month sprint~

Attachments:

Proud Commander for Isle of Janthar
Laspo Yorick – Mesmer
Samson Longshanks – Warrior

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Gamadorn.2670

Was really bored and since I don’t do fan-fiction… I present to you fan-development fiction!

I feel really dirty now I made a scrum chart for Septembers WvW updates. This chart is not in any way related to what ArenaNet is currently developing and only a 30 min mock up of a fans wishful fantasy.

Hopefully someone can get a laugh out of it… also ignore the burn down chart… it would be a lot more interesting if I could fake the whole 2 month sprint~

I found it quite amusing lol

Dragonbrand

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

LOL! Thank you.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

Lower expectations? No.

I notice that you didn’t answer my question, but then again … yes, you are most certainly a fanboy.

By the way, exactly what are you looking forward to? I’ll bet you can’t describe it in terms that wouldn’t make you look foolish to someone contemplating buying the game.

What is ‘soon’? Whenever. When they say soon, it’s within a couple months. I’m patient, I can wait. What am I looking forwards to? Right now, a few things. Treb mastery is something I’ve been waiting on. I can already knock a flea of a sleeping dogs butt with one without waking the dog, so this should quite nicely enhance my gameplay. New BG maps coming soon with the new orb mechanics, looking forwards to seeing how that plays out. I’m also curious as to what the ‘huge’ announcement is going to be made in the Queens Speech. Supposedly it’s going to tie together the L.S. updates to date, should be interesting.

Why exactly did you ask again?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

@VOLKON you are not right.
There are no new bg maps comming. There were forum post on " have fun with kraits, you may not have soon"
Treb mastery – really? I am waiting to Flame Ram mastery
Huge announcement – it will be for PvE, for WvW it may only ne some content, but majority of WvW players want to repair bugs or improve mechanics(commander). Queen in PvE cannot just say: hey towers in WvW will not have bugs anymore
Soon – does not really mean 6 months. If you are ordering something on eshop and they have delivery date: comming soon, will you wait 6 months? For new Video card maybe? Or will you take your money and buy something where you will know when you get it?

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

@VOLKON you are not right.
There are no new bg maps comming. There were forum post on " have fun with kraits, you may not have soon"
Treb mastery – really? I am waiting to Flame Ram mastery
Huge announcement – it will be for PvE, for WvW it may only ne some content, but majority of WvW players want to repair bugs or improve mechanics(commander). Queen in PvE cannot just say: hey towers in WvW will not have bugs anymore
Soon – does not really mean 6 months. If you are ordering something on eshop and they have delivery date: comming soon, will you wait 6 months? For new Video card maybe? Or will you take your money and buy something where you will know when you get it?

Apparently you haven’t been keeping up with current events, but that’s ok, there’s a lot going on. By new maps I’m referring to the orb changes. From what we know, we’re to pay attention to the center area of the BGs, the quaggans are going away, and the krait will be gone. So there will either be an empty body of water with an orb-thingie on the island or, more likely, the map will be changed and the lake itself replaced with something more significant. I don’t expect imminent changes to anything around the perimeter, just the lake area.

Treb mastery, yes. Hopefully ram mastery will be all you hope for.

Yes, the Queen’s Speech announcement will be for PvE. Although I spend most of my time in WvW, it’s not all I do, so yes I’m looking forwards to that as well.

I don’t need a new video card, what are you talking about?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Lower expectations? No.

What is ‘soon’? Whenever. When they say soon, it’s within a couple months. I’m patient, I can wait. What am I looking forwards to? Right now, a few things. Treb mastery is something I’ve been waiting on. I can already knock a flea of a sleeping dogs butt with one without waking the dog, so this should quite nicely enhance my gameplay. New BG maps coming soon with the new orb mechanics, looking forwards to seeing how that plays out. I’m also curious as to what the ‘huge’ announcement is going to be made in the Queens Speech. Supposedly it’s going to tie together the L.S. updates to date, should be interesting.

Why exactly did you ask again?

“Why exactly did you ask again?”

Because I wanted to see how silly your answer would be and you obliged. Treb Mastery enhancing your game play? LOLOL

As I said before, you clearly have much lower hopes/desires for WvW than many of the rest of us. Just because you’re willing to settle for fluff doesn’t mean that we will.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Devon does not have the final say. Mike does But Anet is a very flatline structure, similar to valve, and their Main goal is this : TO MAKE MONEY.

Anet is venturing into this F2P model with tf2 store like items for the very first time on such a large scale. If anything, GW3 will come maybe in 10 years, or never. DX 11.1 GW is already in the pipelines.

Anet is also venturing into cloud computing with a game engine that was BUILT from scratch. Almost eveything in Anet gw2 was built from scratch

For those that want to know how much money Anet has made and their likely trend

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=036570.KS#symbol=036570.ks;range=10052010,12082013;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Most of NCsoft RnD aare allocated a budget of 7% of NP . They make a gross margin of ~27%.

Their shares are trading at PE of 18 , while not a good indicator is quite bullish.

The company has sound financials and ALOT of let me put it bluntly, money.

Anet is under extreme stress to perform. It is just Mike does not fully realise the potential of the WvWvW market, but hey, Mikes job is to make money, not tickle our fantasy.

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=036570.KS

Heres a historical chart of ncsoft

May god bless Anet and make WvWvW , a legend, just like what DAOC did for RvRvR

Attachments:

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Dranul.2094

Dranul.2094

I remember taking the kitten with siege wars 2. Fooling around with guildies and saying watch this space cata mastery treb mastery ram mastery golem mastery. It just shows the team are out of touch with their own game. Proof was in the pudding when half dozen or so visited my server. My faith is dwindling, so much potential, yet they blind fan boys with fluff and no substance.

Question for anet, why hasn’t the imbalanced stat buff from orbs been applied to out manned? Can you explain..

Dranul – Guild Leader – The Unlikely Plan [TUP]
Aurora Glade EU
http://theunlikelyplangw2.guildlaunch.com

(edited by Dranul.2094)

Something is WRONG

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

“Why exactly did you ask again?”

Because I wanted to see how silly your answer would be and you obliged. Treb Mastery enhancing your game play? LOLOL

As I said before, you clearly have much lower hopes/desires for WvW than many of the rest of us. Just because you’re willing to settle for fluff doesn’t mean that we will.

I’ve learned something here.

You’ve never seen me on a treb.

Odd that you left out the orb concept coming back and the subsequent map changes.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

A comparison between ncsoft, activision and EA

Attachments:

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

Devon’s a PR.

It’s quite simple:

A PR takes care of public relations by trying to simply inform the WvW community of Arenanet’s projects in the most ‘’omg look at how much we’re doing’’ way possible.

A coordinator relates the dev’s views on main WvW issues and the community’s views on the same issues. I feel that the WvW team is highly unaware of what we ACTUALLY want, and that’s what we expect from you, Devon, I could care less if I see results but I’d like to know that the game is headed in a direction which WE want, and I simply don’t feel that the devs are doing it right. Contrarily to most, I don’t want to see deadlines, I just want the changes to reflect what the WvW community wants, and that starts with you actually TELLING your team and COMMUNICATING, asking for CLARIFICATIONS from the community, rather then decide everything by yourselves (the devs). THAT is the job of a coordinator. What we are seeing; supply mastery and trebuchet mastery, and simply STATING things without really COMMUICATING back and forth with the community, is what PR is.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

Moar VOC /15chars

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP