US Leagues - 4 instead of 2! Please!

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Why not 3 tiers of 8?

It’s like everyone forgot that there was a number between 2 and 4… This would make it 1-8, 9-16, 17-24. Ideally, I’d like tiers of 6 so there’s less face-stomping, but I’d think 1 vs 8 would be far less bad than 1 vs 12. Likewise, 1 vs 6 would be less bad than either of the two, but what can we do?

Oh wait, we could try fixing the wvw population distribution. But we’ll just keep masking the real issues with fake new issues that nobody really cares about.

More like you forgot that 8 isn’t a multiple of 3.

You could just add in inter-league play. It would be more difficult to schedule sure but it could be done.

Fact is, 2, 3 or 4 leagues all suck. The strength differences between servers is just too great.

What you could do is make it like a playoff system with a consolation bracket.

Also, Devon, one thing you need to do is change the scoring for the leagues. Not 5 pt. 1st, 3 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. Make it straight up win – loss. If you don’t win, you lose. That way it would encourage playing for first and not for second. Also would encourage 2v1 against the stronger server.

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

We will have an announcement about the NA leagues and seasons generally soon. But there are changes coming in.

Could we get an ETA on this announcement? So much suspense!

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Your priority should be making WvW fun again, not making it “organized” and “competitive” while still using a match-up system that has discouraged a large portion (at least on my server) of your WvW player base.

This league system is basically added reason to not play WvW for two months.

I prefer stale match-ups with three servers that are on-level with each other to dynamic match-ups that are entirely imbalanced every week. So does every single person I’ve talked to in-game.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

If they did listen to us, it’s only because of drastically declining WvW numbers (as stated in Devon’s infamous alpha forum post).

To head it off at the pass, there have not been drastically declining WvW numbers, or even marginally declining numbers. WvW continues to be as strong as it has been over the past several months. We made some decisions internally and were able to accommodate changes that it didn’t seem feasibly originally and that’s why the changes that are going to be announced later this week happened.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

We will have an announcement about the NA leagues and seasons generally soon. But there are changes coming in.

In order to make sure that as many people can enjoy the leagues as possible, they are raising the per map caps and are going to have a flat rate of 800 gems to transfer to any server of your choice

Seriously, at this point I wouldn’t be surprised...

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

Can we get an eta on the announcement? Some guilds are now waiting to see what this is before deciding on changing servers.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Sorry you have to deal with so many negative nancies here Devon. Just so you know, there are ton of others who enjoy the majority of these changes and are actively playing WvW to even bother posting here on the forums. It also doesn’t help that any sort of positive feedback is met with unjustified vitrol.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

If they did listen to us, it’s only because of drastically declining WvW numbers (as stated in Devon’s infamous alpha forum post).

To head it off at the pass, there have not been drastically declining WvW numbers, or even marginally declining numbers. WvW continues to be as strong as it has been over the past several months. We made some decisions internally and were able to accommodate changes that it didn’t seem feasibly originally and that’s why the changes that are going to be announced later this week happened.

Whatever metrics you using are probably artificially inflated and someone needs to look at them, i’m guessing your including people that just blip in from pve and use the lion’s arch portal as a shortcut, i’m also guessing your including people that show up poke around for 10-20 min and leave and never come back, there is something inflating what you are looking at…because anyone who has played for any length of time on multiple servers can tell you for a FACT that the number of people from 6 months ago in WvW actively playing IS NOT the same as it is now….

Once again…without trying to absolutely bash the whole team, I would tear into that data and REALLY look at it, there is something wrong with it….the reality doesn’t match what is going on in whatever report you’re looking at. T2 server’s can’t even queue maps on reset night now, when 3 months ago there was couple hour queue on every map. I’d assume the same goes for servers under T2…there is NO WAY you can sit here tell me the numbers or going up…it doesn’t jive my man…

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

are you looking at anything other than T1/T2?

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Whatever metrics you using are probably artificially inflated and someone needs to look at them, i’m guessing your including people that just blip in from pve and use the lion’s arch portal as a shortcut, i’m also guessing your including people that show up poke around for 10-20 min and leave and never come back, there is something inflating what you are looking at…because anyone who has played for any length of time on multiple servers can tell you for a FACT that the number of people from 6 months ago in WvW actively playing IS NOT the same as it is now….

Once again…without trying to absolutely bash the whole team, I would tear into that data and REALLY look at it, there is something wrong with it….the reality doesn’t match what is going on in whatever report you’re looking at. T2 server’s can’t even queue maps on reset night now, when 3 months ago there was couple hour queue on every map. I’d assume the same goes for servers under T2…there is NO WAY you can sit here tell me the numbers or going up…it doesn’t jive my man…

I totally agree, maybe everyone is moving to higher tiered servers, but even when you account for the fairweathers that disappear in bad matches we are still missing people.

It has been documented that entire guilds are quitting week-by-week. So if you are not losing numbers in WvW, then that means you are simply getting “fresh meat” in at a rate that allows for you to not dropoff. Even then that is not a sustainable system because they will get frustrated and leave too once they have had enough.

Also like the quote says, many of your metrics are surely counting the people that just pop in for -20 minutes.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

Probably Thursday, but I can’t be 100% sure as we need to get translations and editing done before it can go live.

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

I can say for the lower tiers that the number of people actively playing is lower atm.
This includes off and peak hours. There are still times when you can see as many as 20 people on the home BL map, but very rarely. The metrics that they are using are pretty strange. Its sort of like spvp team saying that there is more people playing spvp while the que is getting longer each time. Whatever is being said the reality is that from his attitude prior to whatever change is coming, he was dead set on this system.
Now the changes will hopefully be for the good. I am pretty sure that the only reason Devon would adjust the system would be due to metrics, and not community feedback.
He already said so.

in WvW

Posted by: gwfanboy.2496

gwfanboy.2496

This is a stupid idea. If you look at the server distribution, some servers are getting crushed by the majority in their suggested bracket by the OP e.g.HOD.

Unless they fix the underlying problems causing the population imbalance and overwhelmingly favoring numbers over skill and organization, No new league system the failed WvW devs come up with will change anything.

You treat the cause..especially if you suck at treating the symptom.

Anet has to stop being greedy and forcing people to ditch the game -especially with the new consoles coming out- and address the problem rather than trying to profit off of a sinking ship through server transfers.

This not only affects the customer base in this game but will tarnish the company’s name in future developments.

Necromancer, Devonas Rest Are My Harlots [PIMP]

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

what kind of numbers are we talking about here?

unique logins to wvw per day? man hours spent in wvw per server? current play time for players who logged a threshold of time previous to last patch?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: violentlycar.5267

violentlycar.5267

Glad to hear that there are changes coming. I fear that they make be make or break for the core group of players, so I hope they’re good.

Maguuma – plays Asuras with various permutations of the name “Viocar”

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Have yuo tried looking further T1/2/3?

Because, you know, all the latest changes you made lately rewarding the largest server of the 3 pushed a LOT of ppl to transfer and bandwagon/stack on top servers.

Take a look at lower tiers numbers.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Posted by: Wraistlin.6072

Wraistlin.6072

I wonder how FA would feel about this? League 2 looks great. League 3 is a little whack. League 4 looks good.

The problem is that the server populations are so different. Until they become more even, someone is always going to have a bad matchup.

Hopefully, people in the top servers get tired of stomping and spread themselves out amongst the lower servers.

Honestly, though, WvW does not have the population to support 24 servers in NA. Realistically, we should spread out over about 12 – 14 servers.

FA right now in my opinion is in the middle of no mans land. We’re either up against servers that dwarf us, or we are up against servers that we dwarf. I don’t remember the last time we had anything really close and exciting in my mind.

I would love to see some of the lower pop servers consolidated for this reason, or some of the top tier servers spreading out to lower pop ones.

in WvW

Posted by: Krypto.2069

Krypto.2069

FA right now in my opinion is in the middle of no mans land. We’re either up against servers that dwarf us, or we are up against servers that we dwarf. I don’t remember the last time we had anything really close and exciting in my mind.

I would love to see some of the lower pop servers consolidated for this reason, or some of the top tier servers spreading out to lower pop ones.

Wow, man, you’re not joking!

I just checked millenium.org, and you have to go back to week 21 (17 weeks ago) for a non-extreme blow out match up involving FA.

Week 21 had FA/DB/TC. Where TC-rank4 won with 235K, 2nd place was FA-rank5 at 201K and DB-rank6 had 188K. Every contest from then til now looks like a 100K+ blow outs, except for week 24 which was around a 60K victory for DB.

17 weeks is a long time without a decent WvW match up.

Moonlight [THRU]

in WvW

Chris.3290

Wow, man, you’re not joking!

I just checked millenium.org, and you have to go back to week 21 (17 weeks ago) for a non-extreme blow out match up involving FA.

Week 21 had FA/DB/TC. Where TC-rank4 won with 235K, 2nd place was FA-rank5 at 201K and DB-rank6 had 188K. Every contest from then til now looks like a 100K+ blow outs, except for week 24 which was around a 60K victory for DB.

17 weeks is a long time without a decent WvW match up.

TC went through some major stacking, a lot of people were expecting one or more T1 servers to implode like all their predecessors. We ended up with a T1.5 server that can’t compete in T1 but is too stacked for T2 to face.

It would be nice if TC were to destack a bit, but you can’t expect people getting blowout wins 5 out of 6 matches to voluntarily do so. TC also has a ginormous fairweather population that only shows up for those curbstomp battles.

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Sure Devon. We’re all just imagining the unmanned buff during prime time on Saturday’s, having non existent queues, and seeing fewer and fewer guild members log in (myself included)

Pretty sure what you’re seeing is an unconnected dot signalling the unhealthy state of the game. Players are searching for a meaningful end game and landing on WvW to facilitate that need. Unfortunately they arrive to find a mode that remains riddled with bugs, based upon imbalanced mechanics, and host to a severely diminished reward structure. Once this sets in you’re past the point of no return and the game will hemorrhage players. I’ve seen this exact scenario play out before with multiple studios and the results are always the same.

Don’t believe me? Watch what happens to WvW in December. Then watch how your studio responds by February.

I’d wager there’s going to be some extra desk space around the office petty soon.

If this doesn’t happen I’ll bar myself from these forums and ensure that my last post will be a formal apology to you personally.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

My hope…. changes to the scoring system. If the way scores are calculated are changed, it doesn’t matter how they do the tiers. Servers with the most number of players should receive fewer points than less populated servers. That would result in a more even match-up (score wise) between T1 and T4.

This is ridiculous, why would anyone want to be rewarded for showing up ? This is fat kid syndrome at its finest, the point of PvP is to fight other player and win by defeating them …. think about that for a second, getting spawn camped all week followed by a pat on the back suggesting you won is not winning. Handy capping is not whats needed, forced balancing is whats needed before this goes live. If I play on a low ranked server that Loses and then am told by Anet that I won …. then I’m done with GW2, and further more if they go this route then they have NO business trying to be an E-sport.

No, fat kid syndrome is people transferring to higher tier servers so they it makes them feel better.

A league cannot be successful if it is just blow out after blow out every week. There are not a lot of options to make the leagues even other than scoring changes.

in WvW

Chris.3290

Interesting that this was posted in THIS particular thread. Folks might want to save up to move to SoS now before we risk getting full

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Interesting that this was posted in THIS particular thread. Folks might want to save up to move to SoS now before we risk getting full

y sos when sos isnt rank 13 or rank 1

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I can pull numbers out of my rear end as well, doesn’t make them true.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

As a player on T1 and an ex-CD player, the numbers from T1 are a league of their own. If you placed them in any other tiers, tier 23456, they are going to be at 2 times ppt or full +695 ppt.

T1 needs to be in a separate league on their own.

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

because if the rumor is 4 leagues.. sos stands at the top of silver league.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

I’m not convinced 4 “tiers” is what they are thinking here. But if they are make it shorter seasons.

I’d prefer something more radical myself.

Gotta say despite the panic I haven’t seen too much evidence of heaps of guilds rushing to SoR/BG/JQ from lower rated servers. Yes there seems to be extra movement at the moment but not just up to those top three ranked servers (despite their recruitment efforts) – some guilds are moving out of them, as well as between other servers. I am curious to see what happens in the next week.

And how come EU seem to be more relaxed about all of this? Makes we want to shift SoS over to EU matchups.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

I can pull numbers out of my rear end as well, doesn’t make them true.

Yes I am sure Anet might have a better idea than a player who might be on for a few hours in their timezone on one server.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Probably Thursday, but I can’t be 100% sure as we need to get translations and editing done before it can go live.

Google translate it lol.

in WvW

Posted by: leviN.4390

leviN.4390

Hey DevonCarver, us bottom tiered server would like for you and your WvW decision buddies to join us over the next course of 7 weeks of WvW fun.

And I mean for you guys to actually participate. Not looking at stats and numbers from data collection. Join one server, a week and actively participate

Then actually get back to us with a written report on how fun it is

Sincerely

All bottom tiered servers that has kittenised by league

Seraph Siegfried – BoM – Guild Leader
The beating continues until order is restored
http://brotherwood.enjin.com/

(edited by leviN.4390)

in WvW

timidobserver.7925

Hey DevonCarver, us bottom tiered server would like for you and your WvW decision buddies to join us over the next course of 7 weeks of WvW fun.

And I mean for you guys to actually participate. Not looking at stats and numbers from data collection. Join one server, a week and actively participate

Sincerely

Don’t like your server, transfer.

in WvW

leviN.4390

Sincerely

Enjoy your T1 lagfest

in WvW

timidobserver.7925

Sincerely

Enjoy your T1 lagfest

Fortunately, I don’t play in T1.

in WvW

leviN.4390

Sincerely

Enjoy your T1 lagfest

Fortunately, I don’t play in T1.

then fortunately i like my server, just not the changes

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Sincerely

+1

in WvW

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Only if you really like getting roflstomped at any hour that the sun is up on NA.

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Only if you really like getting roflstomped at any hour that the sun is up on NA.[/quote]

Wont be too bad. You are getting one of Kainengs last large WvW dedicated guilds come thursday and they are primary NA time zone. 40-50 strong.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

Personally i hope mag get stuck with the higher tiers. currently i know some of the wvw veterans on my server have be pveing/playing other games till we get a server where there is a more target rich environment.

in WvW

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Why not 3 tiers of 8?

It’s like everyone forgot that there was a number between 2 and 4… This would make it 1-8, 9-16, 17-24. Ideally, I’d like tiers of 6 so there’s less face-stomping, but I’d think 1 vs 8 would be far less bad than 1 vs 12. Likewise, 1 vs 6 would be less bad than either of the two, but what can we do?

Oh wait, we could try fixing the wvw population distribution. But we’ll just keep masking the real issues with fake new issues that nobody really cares about.

I don’t know where you got 8 being a multiple of 3. There are 24 servers. 8×3=24…

And I’m not seeing Devon actually responding to anything. He’s kind of just dodging questions. We want to know how the player distribution disparity is going to be dealt with. Either fix your servers to top tiers aren’t such lag-fests, or find a way of encouraging a mass exodus from tier 1.
And in order to not guarantee that a rank 12 server will come last against a rank 1 server, has Anet considered taking score evolution into consideration? That’s the closest thing we have to an actual measurement of skill (in that it shows that we do better or worse than the system expects you to do). Taking the total score evolution from the 7 (or however many weeks) period, maybe a server ranked 12 can actually compete against a rank 1 server… Probably not, but it becomes less about the score of an individual matchup and more about how you score against the system’s predictions.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Yes I am sure Anet might have a better idea than a player who might be on for a few hours in their timezone on one server.

They might also have more vested interest in making up whatever makes them look better.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Why not 3 tiers of 8?

I don’t know where you got 8 being a multiple of 3. There are 24 servers. 8×3=24…

And I’m not seeing Devon actually responding to anything. He’s kind of just dodging questions. We want to know how the player distribution disparity is going to be dealt with. Either fix your servers to top tiers aren’t such lag-fests, or find a way of encouraging a mass exodus from tier 1.
And in order to not guarantee that a rank 12 server will come last against a rank 1 server, has Anet considered taking score evolution into consideration? That’s the closest thing we have to an actual measurement of skill (in that it shows that we do better or worse than the system expects you to do). Taking the total score evolution from the 7 (or however many weeks) period, maybe a server ranked 12 can actually compete against a rank 1 server… Probably not, but it becomes less about the score of an individual matchup and more about how you score against the system’s predictions.

8/3 = 2.666
Matchups in a league of 8 would be 3 servers, 3 servers, 2 servers. Do NPC’s just man the empty slot until it’s capped?

in WvW

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

Why not 3 tiers of 8?

8/3 = 2.666
Matchups in a league of 8 would be 3 servers, 3 servers, 2 servers. Do NPC’s just man the empty slot until it’s capped?

lol i wish i could be there when melonion figures it out….

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

Why not 3 tiers of 8?

8/3 = 2.666

OMG, make guards Legendary (ala Karka Queen), and the Lords should become world bosses (Dragons!)!

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Sincerely

That is a horribly ignorant thing to say….

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

LOL! spend money to buy Gem for server transfers is not the main point of WvW leagues? I may be wrong.

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Sorry you have to deal with so many negative nancies here Devon. Just so you know, there are ton of others who enjoy the majority of these changes and are actively playing WvW to even bother posting here on the forums. It also doesn’t help that any sort of positive feedback is met with unjustified vitrol.

Have you recently played in servers ranked lower than SoR? If your answer is no, then you (and the devs) really don’t know what is being discussed within guilds, guild websites, and in /m and /s.

There are people that care enough to come here and post their concerns (trolls aside), as Luvpie did, based upon what they see/hear from others that don’t bother with the official forums.

If you haven’t been out of T1 lately, perhaps the “air up there” is causing some delirium.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

Mag,SoS,SBI,EB,CD,BP League 2

League 2 would be pretty horrible; SOS is the only server with an Oceanic population.

in WvW

Posted by: Whisper Me.5710

Whisper Me.5710

Once the leagues are announced, people won’t have to move to a Tier 1 server to win. They will be able to move to the strongest in a league at the level they wish to play.

This leads to the second issue that already exists. The imbalance of players present in a match. Regardless of skill and co-ordination, numbers win the day.

In any sports league, all teams face each other for a chance at the championship…but they all field an equal number of players. This isn’t the case in WvW.

With the current state of WvW, the weekly winners of all but a few matches are immediately apparent. How long will it take us to predict the league champions?

in WvW

Posted by: Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Have you recently played in servers ranked lower than SoR? If your answer is no, then you (and the devs) really don’t know what is being discussed within guilds, guild websites, and in /m and /s.

There are people that care enough to come here and post their concerns (trolls aside), as Luvpie did, based upon what they see/hear from others that don’t bother with the official forums.

If you haven’t been out of T1 lately, perhaps the “air up there” is causing some delirium.

If you’ve ever read the T1 Match Thread you would know the “air up there” has been causing delirium for a long, long time now…

NAGA|TC

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

Devon Carver on Dates

No need to thank me.
I sleep well at night knowing I’ve made a difference in this world.

Attachments:

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

(edited by Rob.7624)