WvW with an r9 290

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Hello,

Does anyone out there run an r9 290? I want to know specifically in WvW how it performs. If you run 5670×1080, that would be even better to tell me what your FPS is.

I just ordered this and the rest of the parts for my build, and just wondering what to expect for Gw2.

My CPU will be a i-5 4570 as well.

Thanks!

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

the GPU wont do kitten.

get an I7 Extreme if you want to feel any difference to a normal i7 / i5 .

Reaper – Anguîsh

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

the GPU wont do kitten.

the i-5 4750 isn’t good enough for WvW?

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

With this card, your CPU will become the bottleneck. I have a 7870 and get anywhere from 30-60 fps everything maxed in WvW, but, in zerg fights even on min settings i drop to like 15-20. It seems the FPS difference is less the more people are on screen when using min or max settings. I am gonna say this is because I have a non-overclocked i5-2500 (which is better than your CPU).

According to newegg, a 290 is something like $600. That is a TON of money for a GPU. You could upgrade your CPU to a i7 4770 AND get a gtx770 for like $20 more.

CD

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: vanensang.1389

vanensang.1389

You’ll actually need a good CPU instead of a good GPU. I’m running R9 290 right now and its really great. But it won’t do a lot to your fps. Instead you should buy a good CPU (Intel or AMD; it doesn’t matter).

Anyway … If you like to play recent MMORPGs a good CPU would be better in any cases for good fps.

Kodash [DE]
Avallora Erasleigh // e
Tara Airgetlám // m

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

for comparison, I have a Core i5 3570K and a Radeon HD 7950, and I typically get around 60 fps (with vsync enabled), dropping to 14 fps or so during really big fights. I don’t remember for sure whether I’m playing at max settings, but I’m pretty sure nothing is set any lower than “high”.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

the GPU wont do kitten.

the i-5 4750 isn’t good enough for WvW?

for WvW zerg fights. Nope.

Reaper – Anguîsh

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

With this card, your CPU will become the bottleneck. I have a 7870 and get anywhere from 30-60 fps everything maxed in WvW, but, in zerg fights even on min settings i drop to like 15-20. It seems the FPS difference is less the more people are on screen when using min or max settings. I am gonna say this is because I have a non-overclocked i5-2500 (which is better than your CPU).

According to newegg, a 290 is something like $600. That is a TON of money for a GPU. You could upgrade your CPU to a i7 4770 AND get a gtx770 for like $20 more.

If you want to maximize the results of your hard earned money spent I would do something similar to what he suggests. Spending more that $300-$400 on a CPU and/or GPU your paying lots of money on small improvements. If you want anything significant beyond that you’re going to have to pony up some serious money.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

a 7870 or 770 will not be enough, even a r9 290 is barely enough for 60 fps at 5670×1080 resolution at max settings (not including cpu intensive options like character model limit). in open world pve (not boss trains/la). You might have to drop of of your graphics settings to medium. Although in wvw zergs due to the cpu bottleneck the 290 would be enough. In other games you will have anywhere from 25-45 fps.

For that kind of resolution you should go for a second 290 in the future if you already bought the card, just make sure you have a board capable of sli.

[ICoa] Blackgate

(edited by dodgycookies.4562)

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

atm i run a AMD FX 8320 and 2x Radeon 7900
Runs flawlessly in all settings no matter the numbers, however i do get insane skill lag on big zergballs, but that is a server issue though.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Hello,

Does anyone out there run an r9 290? I want to know specifically in WvW how it performs. If you run 5670×1080, that would be even better to tell me what your FPS is.

I just ordered this and the rest of the parts for my build, and just wondering what to expect for Gw2.

My CPU will be a i-5 4570 as well.

Thanks!

Ordered first, then asked the question second? Mind if I ask what happens when you don’t like the answered you receive? Just wondering.

Your GPU is fine for that resolution assuming here that you are running 3 monitors. CPU is weak though but should be fine. Fire up your favorite resource monitor on one of those monitors and you will see what others have said. Even using SSD with GW2 you will see some wonky load times and what not in various places. Lots of people and effects in GW2 is up to you and your level of detail. If your CPU has room and you want more speed then you can always fire up a GW2 image and load it in a ram disk.

This game its more of a CPU issue with the current client, then memory, then GPU. That is assuming all things being equal you have reasonable components and not using a 2 or more year old display device. Reduce latency between the three components and you will be fine. In this case your GPU is fine.

If you do over clock pay attention to memory latency and timings. Same with your I-5’s cache. It isn’t all about Ghz. It is about balance with this generation of Intel CPU’s and they are not all equal. I have 3 Intel I-7 4770K’s using same coolers and motherboard yet each one achieved different overclocking results. One is topped out at 4.3 Ghz, one at 4.5 Ghz, and the last one is holding steady at 4.8 Ghz. Go figure. All on air to boot.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is I’m pretty sure you will be fine if you spent equal amount of money on the CPU, Case, Memory, and cooling. Outside of that it is out of your control because has many already said it is a CPU client problem and not a GPU one.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: ActionCat.4162

ActionCat.4162

Ok, so I have a 2600k overclocked to 4.5 ghz. I have a Z68 FTW motherboard and 8 gb of Gskill 2133 ram. I use a XFX 7970 radeon. I have an eyefinity setup and I can run the game on medium settings in a 3 screen setup. The CPU is huge… if you got the cpu power, GW2 loves it!

Now I usually buy a good cpu when i build a gaming computer and I liked how the 2600k performed, if you know how to overclock you can squeeze even more out of them.

I considered another single card solution for eyefinity/surround, however in all honesty you wont be able to get steady performance at max settings unless you have a dual gpu setup. Even the top of the line cards like the Titan and the r9 290x have a hard time keeping it above the 30 fps limit. Zergging makes it worse as you get more effects and graphics going on.

Thus said, stay away from crossfire, the drivers are terrible for 3 screen setups, crossfire works for a single screen. Most of this is down to how much you wana pay though. You can do eyefinity easy with the r9 290 as long as you keep the settings on medium with shadows and reflections down low. Also it depends heavily on the cpu you have.

Commander ActionCat [BMO] – DragonBrand

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

I find low graphics so much easier. Less flashes, your side is all one color, you can see at the red circles. The server lags before my piece of crap laptop does.

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

You’re going to hit server lag no matter your specs in WvW.

Anyways as a test, I just tried 3900 X1080, every graphics setting max, and super sample.

I was averaging ~20fps in JQ LA(crowded) with 37% GPU usage and 100% CPU usage. Its certainly CPU bottle necked.

Specs:
i5-2500K @ 4.3Ghz
7970Ghz edition.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

WvW with an r9 290

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Low graphics are indeed the way to go in WvW. Been running on them since launch, and I still get skill lagg when there are more than 40 people while on low graphics (server-side if you ask me).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain