Frost spirit ICD

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Have you given the Frost spirit an internal cool down? Because If you have you have made the skill practically pointless in any game mode. The average party damage buff went from 7% to 0,7%.

Please answer

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

While this not being amazing news, quite sad ones honestly, I believe many new rangers were always concerned about the tooltip and actual effect. So now they’ve fixed it.

Probably pre-fix to some other change. If not, it will take place among Search and Rescue.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Chokolata.1870

Frost spirit and spotter are 100% of the reason to bring a ranger into a dungeon.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

So now there’s 50% of that reason.

Doesn’t bother me anymore. Leveled one profession of PvE Holy Trinity and I’m fine. I won’t trouble myself anymore in PvE with anything else unless they fix AI and overall situation.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

The moment where ranger was going to shine and become a great class is now negated because of ‘bug fixes’.

It feels like they are pushing more and more people towards running warrior, guardian and thief lately even though these classes have been fine for a while because of all these fixes.

I guess I have a personal problem with the changes because Necromancer and Ranger are my most played classes.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Kind of funny how a single stack of vuln now does more than entire utility skill.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Kind of funny how a single stack of vuln now does more than entire utility skill.

And that utility skill still kind of needs 2 (if not 3) traits to function even at that level.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

And that utility skill still kind of needs 2 (if not 3) traits to function even at that level.

For dungeons you only need the adept tier trait. For open world content you might add so that they follow you. The grandmaster trait has no use in PvE.

As for the change to FS.. It has to be some kind of an oversight. It’s worthless in its current state, both traited and untraited.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Well with the icd, traiting it doesnt improve it anymore. 35% or 70% chance will still only proc a max of once every 10 seconds. So its less than or equal to a 1% dps boost.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Now you know how us Mesmarz feel about the Sword3 “fixes”.

Pats Rangers on shoulder we’ll get through this…

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

thank god they are fixing that ‘fix’ in the next patch. meanwhile, undocumented change to ranger so close to patch day that was supposed to make ranger more viable that makes them less viable than they were as a whole. Sword 3 missing doesnt kill mesmer DPS spot like this does to ranger in dungeons.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

Not to sound too naggy, but the ranger just got dumped in the far bottom tier for dungeons (even with the buffs it will recieve in the feature pack), and the frost spirit just teamed up with Search and Rescue for being one of the most useless skills in the game. The mesmer sword is, to say the least, usable in comparison..

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

Not to sound too naggy, but the ranger just got dumped in the far bottom tier for dungeons (even with the buffs it will recieve in the feature pack), and the frost spirit just teamed up with Search and Rescue for being one of the most useless skills in the game. The mesmer sword is, to say the least, usable in comparison..

If we’re going to talk about utility skills, keep in mind Mesmers have skills like Mimic, Illusion of LIfe, and basically every Signet (bar Ether) which all have very, very niche uses and rarely bring something helpful to the table (worth a utility slot).

This is talking about Mimic both before and after the patch.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

If we’re going to talk about utility skills, keep in mind Mesmers have skills like Mimic, Illusion of LIfe, and basically every Signet (bar Ether) which all have very, very niche uses and rarely bring something helpful to the table (worth a utility slot).

This is talking about Mimic both before and after the patch.

Well, it wasn’t I who compared the FS to the sword in the first place. But it’s not like any of these skills were changed and completely wrecked the mesmer’s position in any meta.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

If they give it such a high cd they have to Buff the effect over the top, make it a physical damage proc which can crit.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

this is an insane “nerf-fix”…………..does anyone on Anet check things out before making stealth changes? if forum goers can run through the math to see that a fully traited FS yields about a 1% damage increase…..1 vuln stack!….how can these devs not?

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

If they give it such a high cd they have to Buff the effect over the top, make it a physical damage proc which can crit.

So if it procs on a crit, it can crit again, effectively giving you squaring your critical damage on a 0.1 co-efficient.

Since the “meta” revolves around critting hard, you’re looking at around a 40% damage increase on the skill that activated the effect.

While most skills won’t utilize it to the best of it’s ability, imagine if you got that proc off a Maul?

Let me go cry in a corner now because I play Mesmer and we’re made up of lots of tiny hits (unless you count our Phantasms).

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

This has basically killed PVE rangers. Without Spotter and Frost Spirit, they won’t bring much to the table for a group in dungeon runs or open world content. Thanks to this nerf, all we’re left with is one trait, and it obviously won’t be enough to hold our (already rather average) support in dungeons.

And to think, I was actually looking forward to dusting off my ranger for the new patch… I guess I’ll just have to stick toward the devs’ favorites – OP warrior and guardian – for the rest of the game.

Really Anet, you’re making it harder and harder for me to find motive to continue playing this game with each and every passing day.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Teckos.1305

So if it procs on a crit, it can crit again, effectively giving you squaring your critical damage on a 0.1 co-efficient.

Since the “meta” revolves around critting hard, you’re looking at around a 40% damage increase on the skill that activated the effect.

While most skills won’t utilize it to the best of it’s ability, imagine if you got that proc off a Maul?

Let me go cry in a corner now because I play Mesmer and we’re made up of lots of tiny hits (unless you count our Phantasms).

That’s the purpose a proc which is game changing when built around.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Don’t worry, Necromancers will show you the ropes of being garbage tier in PvE, we’ve got 2 years of experience at it.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

The only thing is that with a 35% chance to proc and a 10s ICD, there’s no reason to trait it and it’s literally “plug and play” (or, in this case “pick up and run”) because there’s no investment, no downside, no reason not to be running it.

The only downside I can possibly fathom is you aren’t running… Lightning Reflexes, which isn’t particularly necessary if a still AI can survive.

While I do disagree with the addition of the ICD, it does make sense from a purely bug fixing standpoint. After it’s fixed, they can take the time to figure out a Sword3 (referring to Mesmers again) update to make it relevant again. Hopefully you won’t have to wait until a feature patch.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Chokolata.1870

Sick em, Zephyr with SotW for bursts.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Teckos.1305

The only thing is that with a 35% chance to proc and a 10s ICD, there’s no reason to trait it and it’s literally “plug and play” (or, in this case “pick up and run”) because there’s no investment, no downside, no reason not to be running it.

AH i see the issue an higher damage increase(50-60%) for one hit, fire and forget won’t be an options(or at least won’t be the best one) since if you want the get the most out of the proc, 35% chances makes it quite unreliable.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

While I do disagree with the addition of the ICD, it does make sense from a purely bug fixing standpoint.

As some other guy put it in another thread:

I suspect the original designer carried over the 35% chance and 10s ICD from the other spirits, then did the math I did above and found out the spirit basically does nothing. So he “fixed” it by removing the ICD, but didn’t document in the code why he removed it. A new programmer was probably assigned to fix old bugs, saw the ICD was disabled on FS, and re-enabled it without understanding the effect it would have.

Considering how terrible FS currently is, I think this is just as likely as the skill now working as intended. Especially since the “bug” was never touched upon when one of the devs mentioned FS in a PvE ranger guide. He specifically said that the FS granted about a 7% damage buff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y8uGM1CGV8g#t=790).

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t get why a skill such as this should have an ICD in the first place. Wouldn’t just having it be X% to deal Y% more damage be way way easier to balance since it’s a flat damage gain at a high enough proc chance?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

While I do disagree with the addition of the ICD, it does make sense from a purely bug fixing standpoint.

As some other guy put it in another thread:

I suspect the original designer carried over the 35% chance and 10s ICD from the other spirits, then did the math I did above and found out the spirit basically does nothing. So he “fixed” it by removing the ICD, but didn’t document in the code why he removed it. A new programmer was probably assigned to fix old bugs, saw the ICD was disabled on FS, and re-enabled it without understanding the effect it would have.

Considering how terrible FS currently is, I think this is just as likely as the skill now working as intended. Especially since the “bug” was never touched upon when one of the devs mentioned FS in a PvE ranger guide. He specifically said that the FS granted about a 7% damage buff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y8uGM1CGV8g#t=790).

Just like how Sword3 on Mesmer got changed for no reason other than the tooltip, causing Anet to have to fix it without reverting it because that would be admitting to their wrong?

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

Just like how Sword3 on Mesmer got changed for no reason other than the tooltip, causing Anet to have to fix it without reverting it because that would be admitting to their wrong?

I don’t know the whole story behind the mesmer sword, so I couldn’t say.

But the change didn’t completely shatter (pun intended) one of your meta builds in process, or leave you with a skill that is now totaly useless. Rangers just got pushed far behind close to a patch that was supposed to buff them. My previous excitement for the feature pack is non-existent at the moment.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

I don’t know the whole story behind the mesmer sword, so I couldn’t say.

But the change didn’t completely shatter (pun intended) one of your meta builds in process, or leave you with a skill that is now totaly useless.

It left us with a skill that had very little of the intended effect. Since clones die within a glance from an opposing critter, if it actually manages to make the leap (and not do a stutter step slower than Agent Spire who hasn’t learned the concept of talking while walking, because when you’re in a rush, you should walk from point a to point b while stopping to tell people ahead of you to hurry up), a Mesmer is unable to utilize the swap/stun break meaning it can’t be held as a stun break.

Since the clone is most likely going to die if it succeeds, it’s only purpose is that of a telegraphed immobilize (there is no other immobilize in the game that’s telegraphed this much, bar Necromancer Dagger).

So yeah, saying that this skill isn’t entirely useless is like saying that the new FS isn’t entirely useless. I mean, you can still use that to apply Chill and it does still add a damage boost, it’s just nowhere near what it used to be, because it was clearly gamebreaking, amirite?

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Chokolata.1870

Yes, 7% average damage boost down to 0,7%. Simply funny.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

Yes, 7% average damage boost down to 0,7%. Simply funny.

That’s not even remotely close to accurate unless you only strike the enemy 10 times every 10 seconds and hit for the same amount on each strike.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

So yeah, saying that this skill isn’t entirely useless is like saying that the new FS isn’t entirely useless. I mean, you can still use that to apply Chill and it does still add a damage boost, it’s just nowhere near what it used to be, because it was clearly gamebreaking, amirite?

Well, you keep jumping over the fact that one change had a profound effect on a build, the other one hadn’t to the same degree. Aside from that, FS right now is entirely useless. The damage boost isn’t worth mentioning (equals to one stack of vuln. From an utility skill. Seriously), and no one ever cared for the chill. In order to skill reset the spirit and have it off cooldown for your next encounter, you shouldn’t be activating it anyway.

And on top of that, a trait that previously boosted the damage buff from 3,5 % to 7% no longer grants a noticable difference! The skill as a stand alone is garbage, and we lost the most important part of our PvE meta build. When comparing the two changes, there is to me no doubt that the ranger got hit the hardest. A badly telegraphed immobolize on a weapon skill is better than a utility skill with no use whatsoever.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

A badly telegraphed immobolize on a weapon skill is better than a utility skill with no use whatsoever.

It’s not really an immobilize unless they stand still. Sword3 got hit to the point where it’s just a clone generation skill. Just like your spirit is no longer a damage boost, it’s just a chill.

Oh, and we can’t swap it to something more useful.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

To put it like this: I would gladly take a subpar weapon skill if I could trade back my class’ only niché (besides spotter) in dungeons, fractals and pve in general.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

To put it like this: I would gladly take a subpar weapon skill if I could trade back my class only niché (beside spotter) in dungeons.

Except this affects more than dungeons for Mesmers.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

To put it like this: I would gladly take a subpar weapon skill if I could trade back my class only niché (beside spotter) in dungeons.

Except this affects more than dungeons for Mesmers.

“More than”… The third skill on your sword has no use outside a pvp enviroment, just like the frost spirit has no use outside pve.

The difference however, is that our most viable build for an entire game mode got nerfed to the ground. The ranger is, pve wise, in a worse place after the feature pack than what it was before the “stealth fix” happened.! That can’t be said about the mesmer, and at this point I can’t be bothered if you don’t agree with that.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Spirits need an overhaul. All four of them need to be re-worked into a more strategic form of buff as opposed to a % chance to proc an effect. We wouldn’t need to go far for ideas, as Guild Wars had plenty of great ones.

Leave them destroyable, leave the traits. Change their primary effect and their names to match.

Really, take your pick: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Nature_ritual

And many of these could easily be adapted to fit the GW2 combat engine. Energizing Wind? Maybe reduce the cooldowns of all skills by 10% for up to 5 allies in range of the spirit?

Eh, I’ll keep dreaming.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

(edited by Sevans.4619)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Esplen.3940

Maybe reduce the cooldowns of all skills by 10% for up to 5 allies in range of the spirit?

Eh, I’ll keep dreaming.

Opposite of Chill? Me likey.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Spirits need an overhaul. All four of them need to be re-worked into a more strategic form of buff as opposed to a % chance to proc an effect. We wouldn’t need to go far for ideas, as Guild Wars had plenty of great ones.

Leave them destroyable, leave the traits. Change their primary effect and their names to match.

Really, take your pick: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Nature_ritual

And many of these could easily be adapted to fit the GW2 combat engine. Energizing Wind? Maybe reduce the cooldowns of all skills by 10% for up to 5 allies in range of the spirit?

Eh, I’ll keep dreaming.

Edge of extinction!

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Are you serious? They are nerfing the one of the utility that gives people a reason to allow Rangers into dungeons? Ok Devs can you please put away the scalpel and stop cutting away things that we aren’t complaining about?

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Who need spotter? 100% crit is not a problem. Frost is (was) the only good skill

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

Who need spotter? 100% crit is not a problem.

/laughs

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

ICD’s don’t make any sense on any of the spirits with the exception of the Stone Spirit, and in the case of the Stone Spirit they should just up the protection uptime to 5-6 seconds.

To be honest, most rangers were not even taking more than Frost Spirit, because the Sun spirit is made obsolete by having a guardian or ele in the group.

And spirits don’t even compete with banners, which are also invulnerable and can be moved without needing a trait.

I’d rather they make the sun spirit provide might or fury procs so the ranger can also fill a boon stacking niche for the group.

Of course, the ideal would be for spirits to be even less boring and for them to borrow from the gw1 implementation of actually changing a combat environment’s rules.

Either way, especially with the change to signets most rangers will just bring sic em and signet of the wild alongside frost spirit (not nerfed). If frost spirit remains useless they can just replace it with Quickening Zephyr.

Frost Spirit wouldn’t be the first thing they made obsolete (like when they nerfed BM traits and moved pet swap quickness up and gave BM rangers on the adept level a useless trait like quickness for pet when teh ranger is downed, lol).

Rangers have been paying in PvE and WvW for all the crying in spvp about spirit rangers (and then warriors and s/d thieves came and wiped them out of the spvp meta).

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

really really bad change if it was intended
needs fixing fast if it was unintended.

someone did the math and apparently this makes Frost Spirit as effective as a single application of vulnerability….

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Bump. An ANet response would be nice. Was this change intentional? If so, why?

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Relshdan.6854

good thing a mesmer-ranger P-ing match between whose skill bug is worse, takes up more than half of the thread.

the thread in the bug forum has barely any posts….its kinda remarkable, as this nerf-fix destroys the only reason to take a ranger to 5-man instance (spotter is nice, but the party-wide +7% dmg from FS was the main reason). surprised there is less uproar.

guess not as sexy as kittening about torment on mesmer scepter AA (which math proved was “meh” at best).

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Reddit thread had 300 replies, guess the forums aren’t as popular.

Magumer Ranger

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Relshdan.6854

Reddit thread had 300 replies, guess the forums aren’t as popular.

then i hope the devs read reddit.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Has anybody tested this besides to OP or are we just taking his word.

Seems crazy this would happen as a dev in the past even mentioned there is suppose to be no ICD on FS

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Lazze.9870

Seems crazy this would happen as a dev in the past even mentioned there is suppose to be no ICD on FS

Several people have tested it and posted the maths w/ screenshots.

Frost spirit ICD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I tested it and can post screens if you like.