Skeletal Lich - Impossible or Bugged?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think there might be a bug. I’ve also seen the Lich taken down, both on the main map and on overflows, multiple times.

But then there was one time just recently when he just would not go down. The same map had recently taken down the Viscount and Horror at the same time, weren’t doing anything differently to normal in the Lich fight – about 40 players, mix of ranged and melee, mix of professions, full stacks of all conditions on him at all times and he just wasn’t going down. His health stayed at around 90-100% for well over 10 minutes.

The one thing I did notice is the smaller skeletons were spawning much more frequently, sometimes there were 2 groups of them up at once. He also seemed to be using his life steal much more frequently too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Then don’t call it impossible just because YOU couldn’t beat it. Your OP had nothing to do with bugs.

Actually, it might be a bug. We had the same problem on Ehmry Bay the other day. Everybody stacked on him, but we couldn’t get his health down at all. Everybody on the map was there, but we couldn’t move his health at all. We called it off, killed the other gates that had appeared, and tried again about an hour later. With the same numbers, this time we won, despite doing the same thing we did before.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

You need to range him and keep him out of the building. When he does his fear he gets the life leech and if you’re all in the building at that time he’ll heal a crapload of hp.

I believe it is part of this. My zerg had quite a bit of difficulty fighting him in one of those houses and he would pretty much gain health at the same rate we dealt him damage. None of us could see how, but if he applied life leech with fear…well…it’s obvious how we weren’t doing much.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

It’s definitely part of it, I was watching it happening the other night while staying out of range of his leech aoe.

Not saying there isn’t a bug of some sort, but stacking on him inside one of the buildings is basically just giving him infinite health.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Buildings have nothing to do with it.

You just lacked people that knew how to deal damage.

All the times i’ve killed the lich it’s been while he’s inside his reward mausoleum.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

The building itself isn’t causing it, it’s the players grouped up tightly around him. His aoe triggers his life leech. I was watching it happening, each time he did it with the people grouped around him in the building he was regenning like 20% of his health. It is possible to out dps that and I’ve done it too, but it’s way easier if you keep him outside and everyone ranges.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

The building itself isn’t causing it, it’s the players grouped up tightly around him. His aoe triggers his life leech. I was watching it happening, each time he did it with the people grouped around him in the building he was regenning like 20% of his health. It is possible to out dps that and I’ve done it too, but it’s way easier if you keep him outside and everyone ranges.

That’s your opinion of the fight, everytime i’ve seen people “range” they deal far too little damage and he regens faster than if you had people stack on him and beast him down.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sehson.2930

Sehson.2930

My problem is not the difficulty of the Skeleton lich. He is do able, I’ve been part of many zergs that have killed him. My problem is that his minions reflect( you damager takes same damage they do) damage.

This was not a bleed, My eng used a flame thrower on a fresh spawned batch of skeletons minions, and was effectively downed in 1 burst of the flame thrower.

Pistol shot, ranged on a skeleton, singlely, Damage each hit, lightning that hits three much larger drop in my health.

Difficult is one thing minions with this is rediculous, especially with the number of minions he can spawn, I have seen an entire zerg wiped from the a multi group spawn.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

My problem is not the difficulty of the Skeleton lich. He is do able, I’ve been part of many zergs that have killed him. My problem is that his minions reflect( you damager takes same damage they do) damage.

This was not a bleed, My eng used a flame thrower on a fresh spawned batch of skeletons minions, and was effectively downed in 1 burst of the flame thrower.

Pistol shot, ranged on a skeleton, singlely, Damage each hit, lightning that hits three much larger drop in my health.

Difficult is one thing minions with this is rediculous, especially with the number of minions he can spawn, I have seen an entire zerg wiped from the a multi group spawn.

Someone decided to recreate the WvW experience for PvE.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Einhander.8120

Einhander.8120

I’ve seen entire “raids” of players melt from the damage reflect, any ideas on how to deal?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Wuumaster.5103

Wuumaster.5103

This is my issue too. I can’t tell when the retal is going to get applied, and I can’t tell when it drops. It also seems to apply to each wave of skeletons individually, so if you don’t wipe them out before a new batch spawns, some will have retal and some won’t.

I feel like I can’t contribute at all to this boss fight – every grenade or pistol shot is a gamble. Hell I can’t even clean conditions using my elixir gun, given it’s cone aoe damage + poison.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sharptiger.4762

Sharptiger.4762

We managed to take him down in a fairly large group by stacking close together.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Anyone else run into this?

Haven’t seen that. I’ve spent several hours over the last few days in the Labyrinth (mostly in overflows), and every time I’ve seen him spawn, he’s gone down. Sometimes easier than others, but even so.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

That’s logical. And yet, based on the (typically pointed) comments I keep seeing during the event, there’s clearly also a school of thought out there as well that sticking to ranged attacks is absolutely the wrong thing to do, and heals him (or maybe lets him heal). I don’t understand the logic behind it, and I have no idea which is correct – I was trying to understand when I arrived here, in fact. But I will observe that, in the most recent fight I had with him, he went down rather quicker after people started yelling to chat for people to get in close and concentrate on melee, than he had been doing before that (a totally unrepresentative sample of one occasion, but there you go).

Edit OK, we just did him again (EU, Piken Square). As the realm received wisdom is that it’s important that everyone melee him, we were all crowded right up to him, running straight back in after his occasional fears. I watched his health from about 60%, and it never went anywhere but down; and my up-scaled level 74 mesmer had no great difficulty staying alive. What most definitely did NOT happen (despite what some people in this thread would clearly have expected) was him life-stealing back up to full; I have to assume the skill is interruptible, in which case he undoubtedly never even got a chance to cast it successfully.

I’d have to say that, while it may seem counter-intuitive, getting everyone in close and meleeing works.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Skeletons actually spawn on people (who don’t block or evade summoning attack). So when you stack they spawn at the same place which allows you to easily kill them with area damage. Killing them means that Lich can’t consume them. If you kill them fast they won’t be able to use Retaliation, Protection and Regeneration which is a huge asset (Retaliation does lots of damage).

Melee naturally allows you to cleave and you do higher damage which helps with the damage race. Also stacking helps with buffs!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

After having fought the Lich a few times, mostly successfully, this is what I’ve learned:

1. STRIP HIS BOONS. It may not seem like much, but getting rid of his Protection and Regeneration really makes a world of difference in knocking his health down. Mesmers and Necromancers have the most boon strips available to them, so bring a skill that can remove boons before starting this fight.

2. The Lich has a life steal attack, but I’m honestly not sure whether it’s that skill that is doing the massive healing he can sometimes fall into. Some players speculate that he also consumes the skeletons he summons for massive health gain, and I have noticed that when the zerg stacks up on him (and thus AoE’s the skeletons down quickly), he doesn’t gain much healing, if at all. One other possibility is that the skeletons heal the Lich every time they deal damage, but since the Lich tends to gain health in big chunks, I don’t think this is the source. (He’d be gaining health in smaller packets whenever the skeletons attack otherwise.)

3. The smaller skeletons gain retaliation, so be aware that if you’re using multiple AoE attacks, the massive retal damage from all those skeletons can down you quickly. This is usually what melts the zerg if they’re not prepared. (Aside from the Labyrinthine Horror showing up to join the fun.)

in Blood and Madness

Wethospu.6437

His normal ranged attack has life steal and he also occasionally consumes nearby Skeletons for bigger boost. I have soloed it so it was easy to figure out the mechanics.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ronnie.2164

Ronnie.2164

hello, im playing underworld. Every zerg on mad king skips the lich and i can’t make it done. I need this achievement to finish blood and madness. Is there any server that people are doing him succesfully?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Desolation does him multiple times per day. Also my current HS Elona Reach does him from time to time successfully if there ’s a Commander that is. You have a good chance to get on an Overflow on those two – if there ’s a Commander just tag along there.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

Blackgate does him almost every time he shows up, in my experience. He’s insanely easy as long as you have a few competent necros, and everyone gets sort of close to him. His two signatures are spawning a bunch of adds with Retliation, and having a ranged life steal. If you stack on him and strip his boons asap, he melts.

Kegmaster

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Well Underworld is EU so I guess Blackgate US is not an option.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: maxphi.5107

maxphi.5107

terrible boss +(( have not kill him until now +((

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Yolink.8691

Yolink.8691

I have yet to see Fort Aspenwood to defeat the Skeletal Lich. This makes me upset because I need to defeat it to complete the achievement. :(

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

Done it quite a few times on Jade Quarry

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

We simply don’t have the number of people on the Sea of Sorrows server to take down that Lich. Also delighted the horribly laggy Clock Tower is back, and as a daily achievement too. I’m having so much fun pressing keys and watching my character react a full one or two seconds later. Add to that the superbly irritating nagging message that I got an item equipped with no stats even though I’m only wearing the pvp gear that the clock tower puts you into, as well as the constant badgering that even though I’m jumping non-stop on that hellish tower, I get “Unless you resume active play you will be kicked in 50 seconds.” I’m having a blast!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Lich is relatively easy even with a small zerg. All you have to do is make sure everybody stacks on him. His life steal is more of a long distance AoE so if you’re in close it doesn’t affect as badly and rezzing is a lot easier. Just get everybody to stack on him and you’ll be fine.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Abaia.1365

Abaia.1365

I have yet to see Fort Aspenwood to defeat the Skeletal Lich. This makes me upset because I need to defeat it to complete the achievement.

I was with a group on FA that took him down Saturday. There was a lot of “skip the lich” in chat for a while, but eventually we wound up running past him and decided to stick around. We cornered him in a mausoleum which made it almost mandatory for everyone to stack on him.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

We simply don’t have the number of people on the Sea of Sorrows server to take down that Lich.

We do have the amount of people that are needed to successfully finish the event, we even have more than just that amount of people. Problem is that people can not follow commands or coordinate themselves. If you tell them to stack, you hear all the kids crying on map chat and everybody knows better. Even tho none of them ever done it lol.

Back to topic, I recommend Blackgate. It’s not an EU server, however the guys get the job done and it’s a very nice and friendly community. I guest a lot on that server and every time I need Lich or feel like doing that event I join them.

in Blood and Madness

Wethospu.6437

Numbers? I can solo it.

I would say numbers ARE the problem.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ronnie.2164

Ronnie.2164

so let me hit him few times